PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-Pacific

Section 116
12-31-2016, 07:15 PM
Hudson: Bulldogs win 81-61 but final score not indicative of the game. GU did not seem to turn on until 5 minutes were gone in the second half, and Johnathan Williams really turned it on late after that little "dustup"! 37-19 run to end the game. Not a lot of great energy in the building for Pacific, considering they had a nice lead, and several nice runs. The Tigers made a couple little runs in the second half but not near enough to hold off the Zags. Karnowski leads scoring with 19 and a career high 7 assists, Matthews with 16 and Williams with 14, I think all in the last 7 minutes or so Hudson said. Good shooting night for GU 51% from the floor, 44% from three, 82% from the line. The Zags fought through a lot of adversity and Santangelo noted at the end of the day Few is just happy to get out of Stockton with a win. Lampkin after hitting for 16 in the first half for Pacific finishes with 18 so GU did a much better job there.

5 ties, 5 lead changes in the first half. Only second time this year GU trails at the half, other time Florida. Santangelo said for whatever reason the Zags were really lethargic in the first half.

Daniels: We were fighting ourselves a little bit in the first half instead of fighting Pacific. We made some adjustments in the second half. Karnowski played really well, he played big, 7 assists, he was there when we needed him. Williams became a man after that little scuffle in the second half. He really put it on em after that. Jordan Matthews hit the big three when we were down five and then he hit another one to put us up. And he played great defense. Few told him you need to add more to your toolbox, got some rebounds and deflections and he takes that to heart. A great team effort, guys contributed from all over. I can't believe what Nigel did tonight as sick as he is. It's not easy on the road no matter where you go. We are excited where we are. Rui's stat line is probably zero across but but it was great to get him in there in the first half. I'm sure his heart was racing but we needed a few minutes from him there.

Hudson: 11-0 run in the second half put GU up 45-42. And soon after that Matthews hit back to back threes and GU really pulled away after that. Melson's three helped Zags to a 66-52 lead. Melson had a quiet first half and sat with a couple fouls but he hit his stride in the second half, finishing with 8, 4 and 4. With 11 minutes to play JW3 had zero points and finishes with 14. This might get him off the schneid because he can do this every night. Zags now 14-0, 2-0 WCC. Matthews and Perkins tied with minutes at 34. Matthews last 4 game, 13, 11, 15 and 16. Looks like he's really putting it together. Santangelo noted Lampkin really embarrassed the Zags in the first half and the team really took it to heart to shut him down in the second. That's it!

zagbeliever
12-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Thanks 116. I was waiting for your post Didn't realize Nigel was that sick. What a trooper. Shem was terrific

ZagNative
12-31-2016, 07:26 PM
Thanks, Section 116! I don't know how you do it every game, bu your effort is much appreciated.

VaBeachZAG
12-31-2016, 07:49 PM
Hudson: Bulldogs win 81-61 but final score not indicative of the game. GU did not seem to turn on until 5 minutes were gone in the second half, and Johnathan Williams really turned it on late after that little "dustup"! 37-19 run to end the game. Not a lot of great energy in the building for Pacific, considering they had a nice lead, and several nice runs. The Tigers made a couple little runs in the second half but not near enough to hold off the Zags. Karnowski leads scoring with 19 and a career high 7 assists, Matthews with 16 and Williams with 14, I think all in the last 7 minutes or so Hudson said. Good shooting night for GU 51% from the floor, 44% from three, 82% from the line. The Zags fought through a lot of adversity and Santangelo noted at the end of the day Few is just happy to get out of Stockton with a win. Lampkin after hitting for 16 in the first half for Pacific finishes with 18 so GU did a much better job there.

5 ties, 5 lead changes in the first half. Only second time this year GU trails at the half, other time Florida. Santangelo said for whatever reason the Zags were really lethargic in the first half.

Daniels: We were fighting ourselves a little bit in the first half instead of fighting Pacific. We made some adjustments in the second half. Karnowski played really well, he played big, 7 assists, he was there when we needed him. Williams became a man after that little scuffle in the second half. He really put it on em after that. Jordan Matthews hit the big three when we were down five and then he hit another one to put us up. And he played great defense. Few told him you need to add more to your toolbox, got some rebounds and deflections and he takes that to heart. A great team effort, guys contributed from all over. I can't believe what Nigel did tonight as sick as he is. It's not easy on the road no matter where you go. We are excited where we are. Rui's stat line is probably zero across but but it was great to get him in there in the first half. I'm sure his heart was racing but we needed a few minutes from him there.

Hudson: 11-0 run in the second half put GU up 45-42. And soon after that Matthews hit back to back threes and GU really pulled away after that. Melson's three helped Zags to a 66-52 lead. Melson had a quiet first half and sat with a couple fouls but he hit his stride in the second half, finishing with 8, 4 and 4. With 11 minutes to play JW3 had zero points and finishes with 14. This might get him off the schneid because he can do this every night. Zags now 14-0, 2-0 WCC. Matthews and Perkins tied with minutes at 34. Matthews last 4 game, 13, 11, 15 and 16. Looks like he's really putting it together. Santangelo noted Lampkin really embarrassed the Zags in the first half and the team really took it to heart to shut him down in the second. That's it!

I thought NWG had a mediocre game, but apparently he was fighting through some kind of illness according to coach Daniels.

MontanaCoyote
12-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Note; Karno just 2 minutes short (32) of Matthews and Perkin's 34. (I did the math for you)

I think that's about + 10 minutes more game than Karno's had up to Pacific. And, he played very well early and late. The "kid" deserves so much credit for what he's been able to accomplish after his injury. As we saw tonight, the Zag's are really built around "The Presence." Brings out "the best in the rest," too!

SWZag
12-31-2016, 08:46 PM
Thanks 116! I think Matthews showed tonight that he is working on his toolbox as Donny mentioned. A couple great blockouts and rebounds!

Section 116
12-31-2016, 09:00 PM
I believe Tom Hudson said NWG had flu like symptoms! He also said after the game NWG was "huddling" under a hooded sweatshirt while visiting with friends/family members.