PDA

View Full Version : Greg Heister

kclubfounder
12-31-2016, 07:02 PM
I like Greg Heister. I like his energy. I like that he's a homer. I think his insight is decent. I like his humility. I think he has a pretty good sense of humor. I think Few likes him a lot. I think he's a good announcer and I think we could do way, way worse.

What inspired this post after not posting in quite a while? Heck, I don't know. Maybe because I started my New Year's Eve pretty early because of the Husky football game (love the football team, hate the basketball team). Maybe because I just listened to him announce a game start to finish and I thought he was just fine.

I've read SO many threads and comments that slam him over the years, I just wanted to put it on the record that I think he is pretty damn good.

Happy New Years!

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!

ProVeeZag
12-31-2016, 07:09 PM
I like Greg Heister. I like his energy. I like that he's a homer. I think his insight is decent. I like his humility. I think he has a pretty good sense of humor. I think Few likes him a lot. I think he's a good announcer and I think we could do way, way worse.

What inspired this post after not posting in quite a while? Heck, I don't know. Maybe because I started my New Year's Eve pretty early because of the Husky football game (love the football team, hate the basketball team). Maybe because I just listened to him announce a game start to finish and I thought he was just fine.

I've read SO many threads and comments that slam him over the years, I just wanted to put it on the record that I think he is pretty damn good.

Happy New Years!

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!

So you're "hoisting one for Heister"! Fine by me. As for Dichau ... don't get me started! :D As long as Zags keep rolling "W's", I'm good with the three we have.

ProVeeZag
12-31-2016, 07:10 PM

Happy New Years!

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!

Happy New Year Mrs. Heister!!

kclubfounder
12-31-2016, 07:14 PM

I KNEW that one was coming, but wasn't clever enough to include something in the post that would have stopped it before it happened.

Cheers.

Nevada Don
12-31-2016, 07:14 PM

Now thats funny !

zagbeliever
12-31-2016, 07:15 PM
:roll:

Lol lol too funny

23dpg
12-31-2016, 07:28 PM
All kidding aside, Heister. Is having hjis best year.
I don't know why but he's men way more on point.

ProVeeZag
12-31-2016, 07:33 PM
All kidding aside, Heister. Is having hjis best year.
I don't know why but he's men way more on point.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.prod.vetstreet.com/e6/f2/7004d4214b3788980dedd3230cd2/Pointer-pointing-Thinkstock-153974167-335lc050713.jpg

Heister in the field during pre-game warmups...

CDC84
12-31-2016, 07:41 PM
I swear, Heister sounds like the name of a beer. "I'll have another round of Heister please."

ProVeeZag
12-31-2016, 07:43 PM
I swear, Heister sounds like the name of a beer. "I'll have another round of Heister please."

I don't always drink beer, but when I do, "I hoist a Heister"!

hooter73
12-31-2016, 08:06 PM
Log off OP, you're drunk.

sittingon50
12-31-2016, 09:20 PM
Heister & humility in the same paragraph??

If you only knew?

Ezag
12-31-2016, 09:46 PM
Me don't

Coach Crazy
12-31-2016, 11:23 PM
This must be a troll, but whatever. Heister being good is like saying that Pacific is going to run the table in the WCC and NCAA tournament.

How intoxicated was the OP when he or she wrote and posted this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corky
12-31-2016, 11:55 PM
He said something positive about Arvidas tonight.

That freaked me out.

jpn17
01-01-2017, 01:58 AM
I don't mind Heister when he is calling the game, I just wish he would go off on irrelevant tangents less. There was one point today where Williams missed the front end of a one and one and the refs blew the whistle. I was watching the game at my dad's house and we were looking at each other going "lane violation?" We didn't actually know what the call was until Williams stepped back to the foul line to shoot again. It was kind of an important 2 point swing as I believe it put Gonzaga's lead up to 11, instead of still being at 9 with Pacific in possession, and the announcers said nothing about it. That's the kind of thing that annoys me. Heister's flamboyant personality and homeristic view of the Zags do not annoy me.

DixieZag
01-01-2017, 03:00 AM
I think he's done better this year. I'll just throw out there, perhaps he's gotten some feedback from somewhere (here or wherever) and set about working on it. If so, good for him. We've been merciless at times with him, not a bad idea to acknowledge the trend line.

He's doing wayyyy fewer "Where would you rank ___________ on the all-time _____ ..." type of things.

Now if he can just get out more, "I was speaking to Coach __________ yesterday, Coach says that they __________ ...." He'll be that much better. He has access and should use it.

jazzdelmar
01-01-2017, 04:01 AM
Maybe Walton rubbed off on him.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-01-2017, 05:11 AM
Just because Heister did not engage in his usual middle-school kid trying to be cool banter doesn't make him a good announcer now imho.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Richard Fox for making me laugh out loud. They were talking about vertical jumping ability ( maybe after Tillie skied, got undercut and took a nasty fall) and when teased about his vertical leap Fox replied: "I always made it a policy to keep both feet on the court at all times".

ps Returned home from Mexico City yesterday just in time to watch the game. Great place to visit and boy can you get a lot of bang for your buck there. Very inexpensive place to wine and dine.

ZagLawGrad
01-01-2017, 09:45 AM
The KHQ broadcast team is average at best, mediocre at worst. But it seems ESPN crews are pretty much the same.

TheZagPhish
01-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Heister is making progress. The guy has a good voice and can deliver at a decent cadence. I think he gets distracted easily and is prone to odd tangents at awkward times, but when those impulses are tempered he's much easier to enjoy.

Cheers to the new year, and good calls down the stretch.

Mantua
01-01-2017, 10:17 AM
The KHQ broadcast team is average at best, mediocre at worst. But it seems ESPN crews are pretty much the same.

But the radio broadcast is a constant reminder of how much better tv could be.

It's sad to me that while GU has pursued excellence, the tv broadcasters have made no effort to set better standards. The tv broadcast detracts from GU's image as well as Spokane's image.

ZagLawGrad
01-01-2017, 10:22 AM
But the radio broadcast is a constant reminder of how much better tv could be.

I think so. One comment I have on the radio broadcast is it seems that he goes way too long at times between updating the game scores. Pre-game stuff is pretty good.

Mantua
01-01-2017, 10:31 AM
I think so. One comment I have on the radio broadcast is it seems that he goes way too long at times between updating the game scores. Pre-game stuff is pretty good.

I agree about updating the score info. I was listening to the St. Mary's game on Tune In radio after the Zags game last night and was frustrated by not being told the score. I had to look it up on espn while I was listening to the game.

GrizZAG
01-01-2017, 10:37 AM
I met him at a Fly Shop. He was engaging, open and does love to talk (at length) :) . No doubt he loves the Zags as much as anyone here does, and I enjoyed the encounter. That said, I share the fact that he is blabbing about some this or that too often and leaves his audience wondering what just transpired in the game. Who was that foul on? What was that call? What's going on? Exasperating at times. Damn, he is a big guy!

LongIslandZagFan
01-01-2017, 12:10 PM
I am as big of a Heister basher as they come. BUT... he actually wasn't bad last night. But I could have had beer earmuffs if there is such a thing.

ZagsGoZags
01-01-2017, 12:46 PM
I usually bash Greg H. but found myself chuckling along with some of his corny personality,
he certainly has toned down the criticism of his fellow announcers, and all three of them seem to
realize they are going to be together, now way out of it, so they are making the best of it.
Surprised I was enjoying Heister a few times last night.

SWZag
01-01-2017, 01:20 PM
I don't have much to complain about with Heister, Dan or Richard. I enjoy the broadcast and the reason for the game being on TV is for it to be seen. If you want commentary that paints a picture, listen on the radio. :)

Birddog
01-01-2017, 07:36 PM
I am as big of a Heister basher as they come. BUT... he actually wasn't bad last night. But I could have had beer earmuffs if there is such a thing.

"Beermuffs", that just might become a new word.

DixieZag
01-01-2017, 07:50 PM
To those that say "I still can't agree that he's good" - I'm not sure anyone was saying that, just "better." Trending.

The only other thing to note is that any weakness one has as an announcer will get tested and exposed more in games that are blowouts by halftime, and since ESPN gets most of the "close" games, that leaves Heister with a lot of dead air to fill.

Mantua
01-01-2017, 07:54 PM
To those that say "I still can't agree that he's good" - I'm not sure anyone was saying that, just "better." Trending.

The only other thing to note is that any weakness one has as an announcer will get tested and exposed more in games that are blowouts by halftime, and since ESPN gets most of the "close" games, that leaves Heister with a lot of dead air to fill.

I care about garbage time this year and I would like to hear the plays called.

jagwalkley
01-01-2017, 08:06 PM
Makes the world go around.I think Bill Walton is great,but most on this board do not like him.Happy New Year.

CDC84
01-01-2017, 11:01 PM
The problem with the GU TV broadcasts is that they have a great, great color analyst in Richard Fox. If he could be paired with a top notch play by play man, that's all they need. Three man booths are excessive.

ProVeeZag
01-01-2017, 11:31 PM
The problem with the GU TV broadcasts is that they have a great, great color analyst in Richard Fox. If he could be paired with a top notch play by play man, that's all they need. Three man booths are excessive.

I've said the same thing before, two in the booth can play off each other easier than a trio. From the present group, I think Heister and Fox might make a decent pairing.

FWIW, I never liked the 3-man weave either!

CDC84
01-01-2017, 11:34 PM
There have been games in recent years where Dan hasn't made the road trip, and trust me, having Heister and Fox doing the broadcast is better. Maybe not much better, but better.

jazzdelmar
01-02-2017, 05:27 AM
Foxie is very good but that voice, kinda gravelly. He and a generic ESPN p-b-p person would be preferable to the 3 Stooges.

Bogozags
01-02-2017, 06:16 AM
I enjoy listening to the three of them and remember the best trio every to broadcast: Nance, Packer and McGuire. These three set the bar so high that all others may never reach. After NBC pushed out McGuire, the Packer-Nance team was never as good.

Our three are no where close to the bar BUT I like listening to them over most of the ESPN broadcast teams as they are much more knowledgeable about the Zags and WCC teams. Sure he does go out on a tangent from time to time but so do the ESPN crews...Dick Vitale(?) raves about the Zags as long as they are ahead and then quickly switches sides if the game gets closer of GU falls behind. I watched three WCC games Saturday and IMO the best crew was the one on the LMU-BYU game...and the SCU-USF crew was also better IMO BUT that being said, I still enjoy our trio and hope they continue at the same level. Our two color guys are better than others, because they provide insight from both a guards and big guys perspective, which doesn't happen with the other crews...

ProVeeZag
01-02-2017, 08:33 PM
"Beermuffs", that just might become a new word.

Your about 9 years too late! It's already in The Urban Dictionary:

Beermuffs
When you're so drunk that the band at the bar doesn't sound as bad as they normally would--might, in fact, start to sound good.
"I can't believe I bought that band's CD; I must have been wearing beermuffs."
#beer #beer goggles #bands #music #drunk
by Richard Goodness March 21, 2007

:D

Birddog
01-02-2017, 09:18 PM
Your about 9 years too late! It's already in The Urban Dictionary:

Beermuffs
When you're so drunk that the band at the bar doesn't sound as bad as they normally would--might, in fact, start to sound good.
"I can't believe I bought that band's CD; I must have been wearing beermuffs."
#beer #beer goggles #bands #music #drunk
by Richard Goodness March 21, 2007

:D

Story of my life!

tinfoilzag
01-02-2017, 10:08 PM
There is a simple formula they might want to look into: Play-by-Play guy and color guy a.k.a. straight man and funny/wacky guy.

The PBP usually cannot be the wacky guy unless you are a dry comedic talent (e.g. Bob Uecker) because the "comedy" takes away from calling the game. The forced, awkward jabs between former players and Heister take away from the game, they don't add to it.

Someone needs to be the adult in the group. If Heister is going to play the role of corny uncle that lacks self-awareness, then Fox and Dickau need to bring a strong professional personality to contrast chuckles or Heister needs to change.

They all need to realize that main entertainment is on the floor, not in the booth.

hondo
01-02-2017, 11:14 PM
Has DD ever seen a call that went against the Zags that he didn't like. He doesn't need to tell us again how much he like all the calls against us, we already know.

ZagNative
01-02-2017, 11:20 PM
Ain't it the truth!

There is a simple formula they might want to look into: Play-by-Play guy and color guy a.k.a. straight man and funny/wacky guy.

The PBP usually cannot be the wacky guy unless you are a dry comedic talent (e.g. Bob Uecker) because the "comedy" takes away from calling the game. The forced, awkward jabs between former players and Heister take away from the game, they don't add to it.

Someone needs to be the adult in the group. If Heister is going to play the role of corny uncle that lacks self-awareness, then Fox and Dickau need to bring a strong professional personality to contrast chuckles or Heister needs to change.

They all need to realize that main entertainment is on the floor, not in the booth.

jpn17
01-03-2017, 04:10 AM
Has DD ever seen a call that went against the Zags that he didn't like. He doesn't need to tell us again how much he like all the calls against us, we already know.

I don't mind him playing devil's advocate, but it does amuse me sometimes when he will say he likes or backs the ref up on a call that is obviously wrong lol

rennis
01-03-2017, 08:25 AM
It's sad to me that while GU has pursued excellence, the tv broadcasters have made no effort to set better standards. The tv broadcast detracts from GU's image as well as Spokane's image.

I second this sentiment. GH is a good guy and he loves the program, but when he goofs-off on air it makes him and GU look like doofuses. I watch GU games with casual fans frequently and without fail everyone will ask me what is the deal with the broadcast guy from Spokane.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-03-2017, 09:19 AM

Exactly! Thank you for articulating what bugs me so much about Heister. Just call the play-by-play GH and spare us your attempts at humor/sophomoric barbs etc. Three man booth is difficult enough without the PBP guy trying to be the 3rd commentator.

Dogtownkid
01-04-2017, 09:54 AM
I much prefer Heister to some of the announcers on ESPN. I don't care what players on other teams in the past have done. Maybe that stuff is interesting to someone who's been a basketball fan for a bizillion years. I just care about watching the Zags and listening to announcers who'll comment on what's happening now on this floor.

sittingon50
01-04-2017, 10:13 AM
I just care about watching the Zags and listening to announcers who'll comment on what's happening now on this floor.

That seems to be the main problem.

Rangerzag
01-04-2017, 11:32 AM
If Heister is too occupied providing color maybe they could hire a fourth guy for the play by play part.

Mr Vulture
01-04-2017, 11:35 AM
I actually have commented to people that I think Heister has been much better this year. He's certainly not elite but he's better to me. With that said, Dickau is the one that drives me nuts these days.

JPtheBeasta
01-04-2017, 11:38 AM
On Dan Dickau, he might be making a concerted effort to try to keep the broadcast from being totally one-sided and trying to create a broader appeal.

I agree that these guys try too hard to be funny, in general. It gets so bad in blowouts... They should probably do more Player/coach interviews in their prep and fill in the more uninteresting parts of the game with things they learned/heard. Heck, I'm sure the parents would love to provide enecdotes about the players growing up, recruiting process, thoughts about GU, etc that the announcers could mention during the broadcast.

There is an almost infinite amount of things that are more interesting than discussions about an ugly suit and what have you.

B Wayne
01-05-2017, 09:38 AM
I much prefer Heister to some of the announcers on ESPN. I don't care what players on other teams in the past have done. Maybe that stuff is interesting to someone who's been a basketball fan for a bizillion years. I just care about watching the Zags and listening to announcers who'll comment on what's happening now on this floor.

I understand your point. Different strokes for different folks. There are different levels of fans.

Level 1. Kids under 14

I tell kids once they are about 12 or 13 years old they should start learning a little about the history of the sport they enjoy. You might not be 14 yet and I'm not a bizzillion yet, but it does add to the depth of the basketball experience to appreciate it in the context of basketball history.

Level 2. Heister Level

His width of knowledge is Gonzaga basketball and Pittsburgh Steelers 70s era football. The depth of his knowledge is Zags back to about 2002. He always uses Blake Steppe as his reference point for the Zags. He laughed at and belittled Dan Dikau two years ago when Dan said Sabonis's father was one of the great all time centers. He has minimal knowledge of the game outside of the Zags and more than 14 years ago. When he announced last weeks Oregon State UCLA game Bill Walton made many basketball references Heister didn't understand. This shouldn't be surprising if you can stomach 30 minutes of KHQ (station Heister announces many of his game) where they repeatedly broadcast cheesy shallow commercials self-promoting their fun loving and superficial news staff. Heister fits right in that group.

That being said Greg does do a great job when he is just announcing what is literally taking place on the court. He accurately and proficiently describes who is doing what during the game. But he would do well to read up on some basketball history before trying to trade comments with the analyst he is working on during a broadcast. I wish him well.

Also Gonzaga doesn't have the rich tradition of fans that go back generations like the other current great basketball programs in the nation (think Kentucky, Michigan State etc). So some of these fans that jumped the Zag bandwagon in the last ten to fifteen years don't have an interest in basketball or Zag history which fits well into Heister on KHQ as we know him. Hence I often get ribbed by my friends from other schools about our fans being (their words) the KHQ or mom jeans set lol.

Level 3 College basketball fan

That's the rest of the good posters on this board. A width of knowledge about other programs. And a depth of knowledge and appreciation of Zag basketball history that isn't limited to the last 15 years and learned either from personal experience or if younger fans, learned from reading or talking to "older" fans in their family or elsewhere.