PDA

View Full Version : Pargo

vparcher
02-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Did he forget that basketball is a team game?

4EVERaZAG
02-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Honestly I'm getting really sick of the Pargo bashing on the board. Game in and game out Pargo consistently brings his best and leaves it all on the court. If coach Few decides that he wants the ball in Pargo's hands at the end of each half instead of DR's then that is just something we are going to have to live with. Pargo is really the only guy we have that can create offense for himself and others. His shooting, passing and rebounding have all been better this year and he is the heart and soul of our team. Nobody last year asked why Morrison wasn't a team player... come on guys... let's not knit pick every single little mistake he makes. Mark my words...By the time he leaves here all of you will be saying what a great and wonderful player he was at Gonzaga.

zagfan08
02-17-2007, 04:56 PM
4evarazag i agree completely

what is up with all the pargo bashing? he consistently gives it everything he has and carries this team through tough stretches. he is our best 1 on 1 player so whats wrong with him taking it to the hole?

FuManShoes
02-17-2007, 05:01 PM
The bashing is unfounded, but it is reasonable to criticize the amount of time Pargo is taking to start his drive at the end of halves. I have no problem with the ball being in his hands, but he has to start that play earlier. That said, his shooting, rebounding and passing have been phenomenal. I think he's one of the best guards in the country - hands down.

zagfan08
02-17-2007, 05:03 PM
i agree fuman he needs to go earlier, say at 8 seconds rather than 5.

scrooner
02-17-2007, 05:07 PM
I like to see Pargo with the ball in the first half, but Raivio with the ball in the second half. Let him get to the line.

sanfranzagsguy20
02-17-2007, 05:08 PM
yeah fu said it...i LOVE pargo i love his attitude and his swagger and most of all his game...but its hard to argue against the point that he has failed in numerous attempts at end of halves and/or games to not get the offense started in enough time to get a good shot opportunity...this doesnt make him any less of a talent but as our leader now and in the future jeremy has to learn to correct this type of thing because we will need the ball in his hands in the future...not a bash on pargo..it is constructive criticism of our guy...and believe me pargo will be OUR GUY

TM27
02-17-2007, 05:19 PM
I am very happy that our main complaint about our sophmore pg is that he doesnt start the offense early enough (I agree). This is something that is very easy to fix and at some point Pargo/Staff will figure this out.

CDC84
02-17-2007, 05:21 PM
The people on this board who are calling Pargo selfish are just completely off base. It has nothing to do with that, and everything to do with poor clock management and execution. Few wants the ball in Jeremy's hands at end of game situations, and he wants him taking the shot. Whether you like that or not...that's a different situation. But it isn't selfish.

The problem is that Pargo waits so long to get the play started when the game clock is ticking down that he can't even get a good shoot off for himself. Passing the ball to someone is out the question because the clock would expire if he did that. If he were so selfish, why would he wait so long to where he can't even put up the kind of good shot that would make him look like a hero if he canned it? You could make the selfishness argument if he put up a challenged shot with 7 seconds left when he was staring at 2 wide open teammates. But that's not happening.

That all being said, Pargo is a special talent in a lot of ways, but if I am Few, I am putting that ball in D-Rav's hands at end of half situations from now on. Jeremy has become a liability in those sort of game situations, and until he gets better, someone else has to do it. I much more comfortable with D-Rav getting it going and then passing to Pargo as he is going towards the hoop.

Zag509
02-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Last year i bashed Pargo, this year i think he has single-handedly won/kept us in games. And how about the shot starting to fall??!!??

SoCalZag
02-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Without Pargo, we lose by a quite a few more than 1. Brillilant playmaking, and his first dunk swung momentum in our favor, and brought us back in the game...he, DRav, and Pendo kept us close most of the night.

Everybody played with great heart tonight - and how about Mallon trying to play all gimped up? That's a player.

We lost, but I'm proud of the effort. Next year - holy cow.

kylasdad
02-17-2007, 06:40 PM
pargo = heart.

Without his play in the first half, actually several plays, I don't think gonzaga has a chance to comeback. His dunks got everybody up and the team believing that they can play with these big horses.

bigblahla
02-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Pargo is a Warrior. Glad he's a Zag and that for another two years we'll get to watch his magic.

Go!! Zags!!!

Bulldog
02-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Go easy on him. I wouldn't trade him for anybody right now. Look at our 8 players, I love them all, but Pargo is a leader.

lothar98zag
02-17-2007, 07:07 PM
but if I am Few, I am putting that ball in D-Rav's hands at end of half situations from now on. Jeremy has become a liability in those sort of game situations, and until he gets better, someone else has to do it. I much more comfortable with D-Rav getting it going...

agreed

Bulldog
02-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi is in a word ---Incredible

former1dog
02-17-2007, 07:46 PM
I would have to join those that are puzzled as to why Pargo would be labeled "selfish".

Selfish players seldom lead the team in assists, which Pargo did, as usual.

Selfish players don't show up in the hustle stats, Pargo led the team in rebonds with 9 as a PG.... AS A PG!!! He now is the statistical leader for the whole team. As a freakin' PG, who is only 6'2"!
Furthermore, Pargo is the man who broke down the defense and made the bucket that put is in the OT.

I wouldn't trade this kid for anyone. Glad he's on our team.

As for the occassional bad decisions and TO's, like Don King said, "You've got to take the bitter with the sweet, baby!"

ZAGopiated
02-17-2007, 07:55 PM
pargo is playing incredible... without him we probably loose this game by double digits... BUT this is not the first time he has squandered away the game in the last few seconds by not starting the play soon enough... he has got to learn, it is very frustrating to watch him do this over n over.
that being said, i love watching his game. he is one of the more exciting guards in the nation.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-17-2007, 08:03 PM
That all being said, Pargo is a special talent in a lot of ways, but if I am Few, I am putting that ball in D-Rav's hands at end of half situations from now on. Jeremy has become a liability in those sort of game situations, and until he gets better, someone else has to do it. I much more comfortable with D-Rav getting it going and then passing to Pargo as he is going towards the hoop.

Despite the excruciatingly painful to see failure to even get the ###ential winning shot up at the end of regulation (which can be easily corrected via other's suggestions about just starting the play sooner), after tonight's game I finally see the light: Coach Few and staff know what they are doing and Pargo is definitely the right guy to give the ball to in end-game situations.

How many times does DRav have to drive to the basket only to get his shot blocked before people realize his small stature and inability to hang in the lane, take contact and still convert makes him a liability in must-shoot situations? Don't get me wrong, I think Derek played great tonight, kept us in the game and I love his heart but tonight proved beyond a doubt - especially Pargo's game tying bucket in OT - that Coach Few et al know what they are doing when they turn to Pargo again and again in the final seconds of halves, games or OT's. I'm not afraid to differ in opinion w coaching decisions, but when the coach is winning something like 80% of his games and has very emphatically chosen again and again that his best go-to player is Pargo, maybe we oughta trust Few and the staff know their players' strengths and weaknesses better than we mere messageboarders! Free Pargo :p

sullyzag66
02-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Here is a quote from an article by Bud Withers, posted in another thread.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=606

At that, Gonzaga could have won the thing at the end of regulation. Draining the clock with the game tied at 69, the Zags plotted to have Raivio take a last shot. But Dorsey came out and doubled Pargo, who gave up possession a tick before time expired.

Few chafed over that one, saying, "If you're going to have the ball in your hands like that, you've got to get a shot up on the rim, or kick it so somebody can, to get a little foul pressure. We can't do what we did there."

HillBillyZag
02-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Jeremy Pargo has the heart of a Lion. Sure, he made some mistakes, but they were from trying to will a tired,undermanned team to victory. He tried to shoulder the whole load and almost carried it. Right now he is probably one of the most talented players we have ever had as a sophomore and by the time he graduates its scary hwo good he could be. I was proud of them all tonight, they went toe to toe with the most athletic team we've faced all year and never backed down. Its great to be a Zag fan.

GU69
02-17-2007, 11:45 PM
"This is Jeremy Pargo's basketball team."

youreachiteach
02-18-2007, 03:59 AM
Raivio took the ball at the end and got his shot blocked. He aint geting a shot off vs Memphis, Texas Tech or any other legit team down the stretch. This is not St Marys.

Pargo is a stud, a real stud. He knows he has the green light and will always look for his own from now on. But he made a great pass to Kuso in OT.

Give me Pargo all day everyday over DR.

Maybe coach should draw up a play at the end of the game.

Zagheel
02-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Accusing Coach Few of failing to draw up a play on that possession is completely unfounded. He designed a play to get the ball to Derek, who broke off a screen. As CDC points out, Pargo merely failed to execute. That said, I agree w/Former 1 et al. who consider themselves lucky to have a gutsy player like Pargo on our team. He and Derek won't let this team lose the WCC tourney without a fight.

Spokesman Article: Raivio said the play was designed for him to get the ball coming off a screen. "But Jeremy decided to take the ball and got doubled. He got cut off, so ..."

jayray
02-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Regardless of who should have the ball (my opinion is Ravio) the play needs to start earlier. It has happened game after game after game. You can pretty much count on GU not getting points when they go for the last shot with near 80% accuracy. I too was fooled yesterday thinking this time was going to be different - surely they know now to start the play earlier. Deep down I probably knew it was going to be no different than every other time this year. The clock burning takes them out of rhythm and they never get anything resembling an open shot. Its like banging your head on a brick wall. Try something different. And why is Few so afraid of going for a 2 for 1. No confidence in his offense and defense?

mgadfly
02-18-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm glad he didn't start that final play too much earlier, otherwise the turnover would have happened with more than seven tenths of a second to go.

If you are holding for one you are likely going to get a "poor" possession out of it, but you are trading one "poor" possession for none for the other team. Going too early may get you a better chance at converting, but it also dramatically increases the chances of the other team getting a final chance for the win.

And as far as not drawing something up...I'm pretty sure they were trying to run something there, but unfortunately Memphis decided to play defense and try to prevent whatever Few drew up. That happens in games, you know, the defense takes things away that you draw up. Apparently what Few should have done was tell Memphis that he'd appreciatte it if they didn't play any D to for a few seconds.

VinnyZag
02-18-2007, 10:30 AM
One of the key things to remember: Gonzaga definitely didn't want Memphis to get another shot. Pargo made a mistake on that last play, true, but he'll never make that particular mistake again. And if he doesn't lose the handle on the dribble there (a pretty big if, I realize), he's got a wide-open jumper.
As for the Pargo v. Raivio debate ...
That play was drawn up for Raivio. But Memphis, being a pretty good defensive team, was able to deny him the ball, which is something pretty good defensive teams can do against catch-and-shoot players (particularly when some of GU's best screeners were MIA).
And Pargo's not a bad second option.

FuManShoes
02-18-2007, 11:01 AM
I think we can infer from Few's comments about needing to at least "get the ball on the rim," that he did indeed want at least 2 shots at scoring there -- the initial shot and a possible put-back. It's just smart basketball to try to win a game when you can rather than protect against an unlikely buzzer-beater and chance playing 5 mins of undermanned ball in OT. it's safe to say that was a botched play all around. It needed to start earlier, despite -- or because -- Jeremy was going to be doubled.

scrooner
02-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Yeah, in that situation I think it's better to play for the win than to play not to lose. Mallon gone, multiple guys with 4 fouls....OT was not where we wanted to be. Watching it again I can see where Pargo's trying to get Raivio the ball, but he just loses control of it.

sanfranzagsguy20
02-18-2007, 08:15 PM
i havent seen a replay of that last play since the actual game but i think i remember derek having trouble coming off the screen or it just not being a very good screen...all in all just bad execution but what can you do we'll never know how good of play call it was or wasn't