PDA

View Full Version : Brian Michaelson comments post Pepperdine

Section 116
12-29-2016, 08:37 PM
A few comments I recall from Coach Michaelson on post game radio: We were REALLY, REALLY disappointed with the way we played in the first half, but not surprised as that is the we way practiced post Christmas. We told our guys Pepp has a few players who know how to play the game and how to score and that's just what happened in the first half. They shot 52% in the first half and let those guys get going which is exactly what we warned them about. That was our worst first half performance since Florida. We have been excellent at coming out at the start of the game and playing well but not tonight. To their credit (the players) they cranked it up in the second half and held Pepp to 36% shooting. We also were pleased with the way we rebounded the ball. We got em about 15-20 on the boards and we really cleaned up the offensive boards tonight, 19-6. Hudson noted Pepp's 44% FGP was the best anyone has shot against the Zags so far this season which is a pretty remarkable stat considering we are now 13 games in. Hudson and Michealson chatted briefly about the start of WCC play being the beginning of season two and how the schedule is much different this year as the Zags will now board a plane tomorrow for a Saturday 5pm tip versus Pacific at their place. Michaelson noted the schedule works the same for everybody this year and said Pacific is playing really well on their home court and the Zags expect nothing less than a stiff challenge. He also noted Collins and Tillie are beginning to get very comfortable working together on the court and it shows. Quite pleased with the play of those two freshman and the energy they bring when they come in. The two combined for 18 points, 7 rebounds, 4 steals 2 blocks and and assist. Got those last numbers from the boxscore as I couldn't remember exactly what Michaelson said on our drive home.

TheZagPhish
12-29-2016, 08:40 PM
Thanks, 116.

Goshzagit
12-29-2016, 08:43 PM
Terrific, as always. Thank you.

I know for a fact Coach B-Mike reads these boards.

The only Coach I know who checks these boards from time to time...and has since 2002.

Pretty neat.

CDC84
12-29-2016, 08:52 PM
It should be noted that Saturday's game at Pacific is GU's first "true" road game of the season. I realize there were many more Vol fans in the stands in Nashville than Zag fans, but still, it's just different playing at a sold out, 6000 seat on campus gym.

Zagceo
12-29-2016, 08:59 PM
Thx 116

FYI 84 still lots of tickets for sale on Pacific website

CDC84
12-29-2016, 09:05 PM
FYI 84 still lots of tickets for sale on Pacific website

I am not surprised with school being out of session and the arena being the 2nd largest in the WCC. The Spanos Center is bigger than K2. Also, let's face it, the school is in Stockton. Not exactly in the heart of the Bay Area.

MDABE80
12-29-2016, 10:50 PM
Zags won this with 2nd half defense and rebounding ( to be expected). Pepp shot well. We just "outvolumed" them in shooting. Not out best outing but we won one. SMC played LMU tonight at Gersten. Now SMC is a team full of very good shooters. Their Aussie big is very mobile. He'll be a challenge. We already know SMC's guards are good. This is the one game we must be ready for . Maybe more than others.

Maybe tonight's game was post break let down. I hope so.