PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it dangerous to have the mouthpiece half out in heat of battle?

ZagsGoZags
12-22-2016, 02:11 AM
The announcers mentioned mouthpieces. I suspect many of us have noticed that Perkins and Collins and sometimes others have their mouthpieces hanging half out of their mouths in the midst of driving, rebounding, going for loose balls. Isn't the purpose of the mouthpiece to PROTECT the mouth and teeth? I mean, if that is the purpose, wouldn't Perkins and Collins be safer to not wear one, like Dan D. said he never did? Maybe Perkins' reconstructed jaw just can't get comfortable with that large object filling up the oral cavity. Do they play better with 'something to do with their mouth' like smokers just love having something to do with their hands? This is just a question, has anybody else had thoughts or feelings about this habit?

CDC84
12-22-2016, 09:58 AM
A Steph Curry influence perhaps??

MickMick
12-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Folks have been chewing mouthpieces for decades. This is nothing new.

Nervous habit amplified by all that adrenaline. You don't even realize you are doing it. You should have seen how gnarly mine was. My mouthpieces had a lifespan of about a month.

DixieZag
12-22-2016, 10:13 AM
Folks have been chewing mouthpieces for decades. This is nothing new.

Nervous habit amplified by all that adrenaline. You don't even realize you are doing it. You should have seen how gnarly mine was. My mouthpieces had a lifespan of about a month.

Every sport I ever played with a mouthpiece (3), I spent half the time playing with it.

CDC - That was long before Curry. I must have influenced him. :)

Robzagnut
12-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Back in my day sonny, we walked to school in 6 feet of snow and played basketball without a mouthpiece...

I still have all my toes and my teeth.

SWZag
12-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Back in my day sonny, we walked to school in 6 feet of snow and played basketball without a mouthpiece...

I still have all my toes and my teeth.

And the court had an uphill angle too? ;)

JPtheBeasta
12-22-2016, 11:15 AM
An optimist would clearly consider the mouth piece half in (which is much safer than half out).

CDC84
12-22-2016, 11:19 AM
I realize that people have been chewing on mouthpieces for years, but consider the age of the kids on the court and who their heroes are....

What I don't understand is how you can chew and chew on those mouthpieces throughout the game and still be able to stick them back in your mouth and have them fit. I guess the material is really, really tough. I wouldn't know....like Dan Dickau, I never used one.

CDC84
12-22-2016, 11:26 AM
What's even more amazing to me is how Air Jordan didn't have some sort of accident after all those years of sticking his tongue out during the heat of battle.

ProVeeZag
12-22-2016, 11:31 AM
And the court had an uphill angle too? ;)

Uphill in both directions!

I wore a mouthpiece playing football many years ago. I would remove it temporarily to allow me to catch my breathe more easily; that may be part of why players do so now; the rest is likely attributable to mimicking guys like Curry.

Like Robzagnut, I never wore a mouthpiece while playing basketball. Nor did I wear one while shoveling thru 6 feet of snow!

gozagswoohoo
12-22-2016, 12:33 PM
Why is it that if a man kills another man in battle, it's called heroic, yet if he kills a man in the heat of passion, it's called murder?

Hoopaholic
12-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Why is it that if a man kills another man in battle, it's called heroic, yet if he kills a man in the heat of passion, it's called murder?

They are both homicides

ZagsGoZags
12-22-2016, 01:32 PM
Baseball is another sport with lots of fidgeting, gum chewing, hat adjustments, etc. What I worry about is all the contact esp. during rebounding. In football if you get hit in the face, the face guard prevents for the most part, the mouthpiece from cutting into the face and lips. In basketball, during rebounding, as most readers in here know, a player gets hit in the face by shoulders, elbows, flailing arms, etc. It seems to me that if the mouthpiece is hanging out and a person's face is struck by the bodies of others it would tear into lips and mouth causing bleeding and other injuries. Just seems like adding risk. Like wearing brass knuckles across the face, or any other sharp object. I guess until a person's mouthpiece cuts their face open it is a moot point. But the law of averages, I would think, would catch up to Collins or Perkins one of these days. Also if they fidget constantly with the mouthpieces because it is irritating to their mouths or doesn't fit right, it would be safer to not wear them.
No problem of course for free throws or bringing the ball up the court.

Robzagnut
12-22-2016, 04:06 PM
Where's Waldo?

SunDevilGolfZag
12-22-2016, 07:34 PM
I'm not worried about the mouthpiece for these guys unless they become "Dellevedova" about it. Couldn't ever happen to a Zag. God was that guy an annoying sporter of the mouthpiece

willandi
12-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Where's Waldo?

I kept hoping he would bite through his lip with those fangs!