PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Luckie - Terrible Ref or Incompetent Ref?

Kong-Kool-Aid
12-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Seriously, this guy was just terrible all day long.

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/109/353/6_3353109.jpg

Seth Greenberg says https://twitter.com/SethOnHoops/status/810615698116530182
"Mark Few just got whacked. Could have been the worst T I have ever seen and I have seen a few. Awful. Jamie, please it's the holiday season"

Watch him be terrible in other games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b7W8LIXqZ8

Other instances of his craftmanship....

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/phil_martelli_calls_out_ref_ja.html

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2016/12/18/13998488/basketball-box-score-fsu-manhattan-jamie-luckie

Awful!

23dpg
12-18-2016, 03:31 PM
Wealthy ref? I assume he had Tennessee +11. No other explanation.

seacatfan
12-18-2016, 03:33 PM
at least he's consistent in how bad he is?

ZagsObserver
12-18-2016, 03:35 PM
Isn't an incompetent ref a terrible ref?

Kong-Kool-Aid
12-18-2016, 03:36 PM
He was making some bad calls the other way too.. it just seemed like he wanted to randomly blow his whistle.

MDABE80
12-18-2016, 03:39 PM
He needs to be retired. THAT bad!

DixieZag
12-18-2016, 03:41 PM
I wish Few would have gotten his money's worth for the Technical.

I'd love to see a jacket-throwing, assistants-grabbing, type.

But, I love Few and that's just who he is, the "Excuse me" technical. Team responded, though.

He prolly averages one every two years, saved it for a good one this time.

Seattle Hoo
12-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Ah, my friend Zags, I see you just got Luckie! Yes, we are Luckie enough to have him as a regular ACC ref. There is nothing we like more than getting Luckie. He's the latest in a long line of refs who think the game is all about them, that they are destined to be stars, and they want the arena to be like Cheers, where everybody knows their name.

jazzdelmar
12-18-2016, 03:43 PM
He's excrement.

gonzagafan62
12-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Ah, my friend Zags, I see you just got Luckie! Yes, we are Luckie enough to have him as a regular ACC ref. There is nothing we like more than getting Luckie. He's the latest in a long line of refs who think the game is all about them, that they are destined to be stars, and they want the arena to be like Cheers, where everybody knows their name.

As a Virginia fan I'm glad to welcome you back friend. Nice to see someone else know that character

Bocco
12-18-2016, 03:44 PM
terrible, incompetent what's the difference? either way he's just bad, real bad ...... Dave Libbey bad

maynard g krebs
12-18-2016, 03:44 PM
None of the above. Crooked ref.

seacatfan
12-18-2016, 03:45 PM

Leslie Neilsen's attention grabbing umpire in "The Naked Gun" was hilarious, but sometimes I really do wonder if some of the refs think all of those thousands of people in the stands paid good money to come and see them and not the players on the floor.

TexasZagFan
12-18-2016, 03:47 PM
IMHO, he is vying to replace Dan Niksich as worst ref in my book...yes, that's how far I go back.

Birddog
12-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Luckie was so bad he made Dave Libby seem tolerable.

23dpg
12-18-2016, 03:50 PM
IMHO, he is vying to replace Dan Niksich as worst ref in my book...yes, that's how far I go back.

Haha. A teacher of mine in HS.

DixieZag
12-18-2016, 03:51 PM

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder852/500x/59502852.jpg

drvenkman05
12-18-2016, 03:59 PM
NEVER! Have you seen Libbey's videos?

Luckie was so bad he made Dave Libby seem tolerable.

Outraged
12-18-2016, 04:00 PM
He has very small eyes, out of shape, has a loaded diaper and was named after the family dog.

gonzagafan62
12-18-2016, 04:06 PM
This guy made WCC refs look good

ProVeeZag
12-18-2016, 05:50 PM
He has very small eyes, out of shape, has a loaded diaper and was named after the family dog.

Yes, and according to other sources, he "...swerves at flocks of sparrows as they feed on the side of the road." Not a nice person!

sittingon50
12-18-2016, 05:56 PM
Haha. A teacher of mine in HS.

Spent one year @ Ferris, he was my baseball Coach.

CDC84
12-18-2016, 07:41 PM
I think Rick Barnes is telling him in that pic: "If you call more fouls on Gonzaga, I will fill your Christmas stocking."

CDC84
12-18-2016, 08:27 PM
Great quote from a Florida State writer about Luckie:

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2016/1...n-jamie-luckie

"I'll stick with the more likely option that Luckie is just incompetent and a bad person. He probably hates puppies, cheered for Hans Gruber in "Die Hard," and swerves at flocks of sparrows as they feed on the side of the road."

wiszag
12-18-2016, 08:40 PM
I was at the game, he was terrible on both ends but mostly against GU. Must have had UT and the under. Only a savvy bettor can get that bet in Vegas.

Zagricultural
12-18-2016, 08:58 PM

Exactly!

sittingon50
12-18-2016, 10:08 PM
I think Rick Barnes is telling him in that pic: "If you call more fouls on Gonzaga, I will fill your Christmas stocking."

Then it must have been when Durant was playing.

Robzagnut
12-18-2016, 10:18 PM
Spent one year @ Ferris, he was my baseball Coach.

Freshman baseball at Ferris? If you graduated in 79 then we were on the same team and I know you.

UberZagFan
12-18-2016, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=DixieZag;1258157
He prolly averages one every two years, saved it for a good this time.[/QUOTE]

More like 1 for every 5 years. It was refreshing to see him T'ed up. Though it was interesting that he got T'ed on a call where the refs actually called the foul against UT and still gave Few the T. One would think they would let that go.

maynard g krebs
12-18-2016, 10:53 PM
This leaves me with a question. I was at the Tennessee game several years ago at Key Arena, when the Zags lost to a very "physical" Tennessee team, i.e. getting mugged every time down the floor, and I'm certain that an SEC crew reffed that one.

So the question is, do the Zags have to agree to southeastern refs for these games both home and away?

sittingon50
12-18-2016, 11:33 PM
This leaves me with a question. I was at the Tennessee game several years ago at Key Arena, when the Zags lost to a very "physical" Tennessee team, i.e. getting mugged every time down the floor, and I'm certain that an SEC crew reffed that one.

So the question is, do the Zags have to agree to southeastern refs for these games both home and away?

No. Officials get decided when contracts are signed. Zags have taken WCC refs back East plenty of times.

sittingon50
12-18-2016, 11:34 PM
Freshman baseball at Ferris? If you graduated in 79 then we were on the same team and I know you.

JV. Graduated in '70.

TexasZagFan
12-19-2016, 05:46 AM
First time I can recall that the referees received so much attention in game stories.

Birddog
12-19-2016, 05:54 AM
First time I can recall that the referees received so much attention in game stories.

Hess and Luckie probably think that they have what it takes to star in a pilot "reality show", "Real Refs of the SEC".

bballbeachbum
12-19-2016, 08:29 AM
that was great practice for the tournament. who knows the officiating perspective one will see? and the Zags overcame

Zagceo
12-19-2016, 08:31 AM
When the last time anyone's read a recap of Zags game that mentioned the whole crew

. The officiating crew of Karl Hess, Jamie Luckie and Brent Hampton called 56 fouls combined. Gonzaga and Tennessee each had a player foul out with Silas Melson playing 18 minutes before his fifth foul for the Bulldogs, while Jordan Bowden had nine points in 27 minutes for the Vols. Gonzaga finished the game with four players having four fouls apiece.

ProVeeZag
12-19-2016, 11:08 AM
When the last time anyone's read a recap of Zags game that mentioned the whole crew

Could easily have included their mug shots as well...

Seattle Hoo
12-19-2016, 02:57 PM
Wait a minute, KARL HESS was ALSO out there? That guy is so bad he got BANNED from the ACC. Yes, the same conference that considers Jamie Luckie one of its best kicked Hess out. Oh man, my sympathies to you guys. That game must have been unbearable.

It could have been worse, I guess. Ted Valentine could have been there. Of course, if you added HIS ego to the mix, the floor would have collapsed into a sinkhole.

soccerdud
12-19-2016, 04:54 PM
Wait a minute, KARL HESS was ALSO out there? That guy is so bad he got BANNED from the ACC. Yes, the same conference that considers Jamie Luckie one of its best kicked Hess out. Oh man, my sympathies to you guys. That game must have been unbearable.

It could have been worse, I guess. Ted Valentine could have been there. Of course, if you added HIS ego to the mix, the floor would have collapsed into a sinkhole.

yep. he was working the game, too. and luckie was so bad that hess doesn't even get mentioned. tells you all you need to know.

ProVeeZag
12-19-2016, 05:04 PM
yep. he was working the game, too. and luckie was so bad that hess doesn't even get mentioned. tells you all you need to know.

Makes you wonder what the 3rd official working with Luckie and Hess (the so-called "fly on the wall") could say about his experience (under guarantees of anonymity, of course). The side comments made among the zebra crew would make for some real fodder.

Worthington
12-19-2016, 06:41 PM
It was the worst officiating I can ever recall seeing. Made the game unbearable to watch. Accusing refs of having money on the game is almost always ludicrous, but the way this game was called was perfectly crafted to cover the spread. Notice how down the stretch when things were getting too close, Gonzaga got bailed out with a few ticky tack fouls that sent us to the free throw line and slowed Tennessee's momentum somewhat. First time I can remember actually having a feeling something fishy might have been going on. Either way it was an absolute embarrassment.

NumberCruncher
12-19-2016, 08:02 PM
More like 1 for every 5 years. It was refreshing to see him T'ed up. Though it was interesting that he got T'ed on a call where the refs actually called the foul against UT and still gave Few the T. One would think they would let that go.

There was no foul (other than the technical) called on the play. The announcer got it wrong.

seacatfan
12-19-2016, 08:44 PM
First time I can remember actually having a feeling something fishy might have been going on. Either way it was an absolute embarrassment.

There was an NBA playoff game a number of years ago, I am absolutely convinced that the word came straight from the Commissioner (that putrid little weasel Stern at the time) who was going to win the game, and the refs made sure it happened. Western Conference Finals, game 6 between Sacramento and the Lakers. Kings were up 3-2 and looking to close the series out. Lakers had the superstar duo of Kobe and Shaq but the Kings were definitely the better team. Watching that game, it just seemed completely obvious to me that the refs were not going to let the Lakers lose and guarantee the series went to a 7th game. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

Zagceo
12-19-2016, 08:51 PM

Last paragraph in article

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/no-8-gonzaga-improves-to-11-0-beats-tennessee-86-76/

azzagfan
12-20-2016, 10:32 AM

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12141973/referee-karl-hess-no-longer-work-acc-games

jazzdelmar
12-20-2016, 10:41 AM
There was an NBA playoff game a number of years ago, I am absolutely convinced that the word came straight from the Commissioner (that putrid little weasel Stern at the time) who was going to win the game, and the refs made sure it happened. Western Conference Finals, game 6 between Sacramento and the Lakers. Kings were up 3-2 and looking to close the series out. Lakers had the superstar duo of Kobe and Shaq but the Kings were definitely the better team. Watching that game, it just seemed completely obvious to me that the refs were not going to let the Lakers lose and guarantee the series went to a 7th game. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

I think most experts have always felt that game was absolutely fixed, much like the Ewing lottery. Fixing works best if it's blatant, as in those 2 cases. The so called Big Lie theory.

sittingon50
12-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Last paragraph in article

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/no-8-gonzaga-improves-to-11-0-beats-tennessee-86-76/

Except Collins joined Melson on the DQ list & the Zags had 4 with 4.

CDC84
12-20-2016, 11:02 AM
At the college level, this was about the worst piece of officiating I have ever seen. I'm sure some of you remember this game between Rutgers and St. John's.....not the game itself, but how terribly the final 7 seconds were handled.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs2QbsQS-Jw

(I love how the ref just heads to the locker room before the Rutgers coach can say anything to him about his terrible officiating)

ProVeeZag
12-20-2016, 11:06 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12141973/referee-karl-hess-no-longer-work-acc-games

As quoted from the link you cited:

"From February 2012 until last month, Hess did not work any NC State home games in Raleigh, North Carolina. That followed an incident in which Hess ejected Wolfpack legends Tom Gugliotta and Chris Corchiani, who were attending the game as spectators, due to "excessive demonstration on several calls." The ACC publicly reprimanded him for the incident."

Apparently no one in the building is safe when Karl Hess is working a game. Imagine having purchased a ticket and attending as a spectator, then being ejected by the self-appointed "der Fuhrer" Hess for excessive demonstration. Is there that severe a shortage of capable referees that the NCAA must lick the boots of Hess' ilk?

maynard g krebs
12-20-2016, 11:36 AM
I think most experts have always felt that game was absolutely fixed, much like the Ewing lottery. Fixing works best if it's blatant, as in those 2 cases. The so called Big Lie theory.

They've done it so many times it's impossible to count. College they're just usually a bit more subtle about it.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-21-2016, 07:37 AM
I tried watching this again and couldn't. Terrible officiating and it did NOT go both ways. We might have got a call or two our way as every team does in every game, but the overall theme was very pro-Vols. Very lopsided.

My favorite moment was after a few calls that helped UT get some momentum before the half when Silas stole that pass and dunked on them. You can see Luckie standing there with his hands on his hips looking disappointed as if a team he was coaching just gave GU 2 points... he looks so invested in their success :roll:

JAGzag
12-21-2016, 08:13 AM
It was even worse watching the game live. Fans of both schools started booing every call.

CDC84
12-21-2016, 08:19 AM
Do you feel Luckie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I530sPVQSc8

willandi
12-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Do you feel Luckie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I530sPVQSc8

Well, do ya' punk?

JPtheBeasta
12-21-2016, 12:58 PM
I tried watching this again and couldn't. Terrible officiating and it did NOT go both ways. We might have got a call or two our way as every team does in every game, but the overall theme was very pro-Vols. Very lopsided.

My favorite moment was after a few calls that helped UT get some momentum before the half when Silas stole that pass and dunked on them. You can see Luckie standing there with his hands on his hips looking disappointed as if a team he was coaching just gave GU 2 points... he looks so invested in their success :roll:

There are subtle things that happen, too. There was a call or two toward the end when they were finally calling some of the Tennessee contact when the whistle came very late. Late, like after the ball rattled off the rim. Like, it probably wouldn't have been called a foul if the ball did go in, kind of late. Avoiding "and-1" situations is a sneaky way to keep the score just a *little* closer.

ProVeeZag
12-21-2016, 01:07 PM
There are subtle things that happen, too. There was a call or two toward the end when they were finally calling some of the Tennessee contact when the whistle came very late. Late, like after the ball rattled off the rim. Like, it probably wouldn't have been called a foul if the ball did go in, kind of late. Avoiding "and-1" situations is a sneaky way to keep the score just a *little* closer.

Very clever and creative thinking here, Beasta! Have you ever thought about becoming an NCAA basketball referee? They may have a whistle with your name on it. :D

seacatfan
12-21-2016, 02:46 PM
Late, like after the ball rattled off the rim. Like, it probably wouldn't have been called a foul if the ball did go in, kind of late. Avoiding "and-1" situations is a sneaky way to keep the score just a *little* closer.

That's not uncommon, I see that fairly frequently. That one drives me nuts to. It's either a foul or it isn't, whether the ball rolls in on the shot shouldn't determine a foul call.

Anyone else notice how often refs decide not to call a fairly blatant over the back call if the ball is tipped out of bounds, but give possession to the team that was on the receiving end of the shoulda-been foul? Doesn't matter who actually touched the ball last. Seems fairly cowardly but I've definitely noticed it, it's a "thing" with refs.

Kong-Kool-Aid
12-21-2016, 03:29 PM
Jamie Luckie is reffing the Kentucky/Louisville game tonight. Oy Vey

Zagricultural
12-21-2016, 03:30 PM
Jamie Luckie is reffing the Kentucky/Louisville game tonight. Oy Vey

If we only knew which way he is betting we could win a bundle! :)

JPtheBeasta
12-21-2016, 03:55 PM
That's not uncommon, I see that fairly frequently. That one drives me nuts to. It's either a foul or it isn't, whether the ball rolls in on the shot shouldn't determine a foul call.

Anyone else notice how often refs decide not to call a fairly blatant over the back call if the ball is tipped out of bounds, but give possession to the team that was on the receiving end of the shoulda-been foul? Doesn't matter who actually touched the ball last. Seems fairly cowardly but I've definitely noticed it, it's a "thing" with refs.

Agree. It's a totally cowardly cop out. That one happens a lot, it seems.