PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 NCAA Tournament resumes: Indiana, UCLA on track for 1-seed as of now

Zagdawg
12-15-2016, 12:32 PM
5. Gonzaga Bulldogs (10-0)
Current AP Top 25 ranking: 8th
Gonzaga's only game in the past week was an 18-point over Akron, and what a win it was. The Zips -- maybe the best team in the MAC -- only managed 43 points vs. the Zags. Mark Few's guys are 3-0 against teams ranked in the top 30 of KenPom. Hopefully you're starting to come around on Gonzaga as a team truly vying for a No. 1 seed. GU is projected to finish the regular season at 27-3. I'll go one game further and say 28-2. The Bulldogs look that good, and if they keep winning, they'll be in the driver's seat for a No. 1 seed by early January because teams ahead of them are inevitably going to lose.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/top-10-ncaa-tournament-resumes-indiana-ucla-on-track-for-1-seed-as-of-now/

CDC84
12-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Speaking of UCLA, it would be great to schedule another home and home with them.

TexasZagFan
12-15-2016, 12:42 PM
Speaking of UCLA, it would be great to schedule another home and home with them.

Yes, let's get a rivalry going. Would Alford go for it?

I'd rather we play them home and home instead of Washington. Huskies really don't add to the "national OOC schedule" that we're trying to build. /sarc

tinfoilzag
12-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Unless GU starts to regress as a team, we are a 2-seed. I don't see the possibility for a 1 seed unless we go undefeated and even then it wouldn't surprise me to be on the 2 line.

A 3 seed or higher and I'm extremely happy.

cbbfanatic
12-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Unless GU starts to regress as a team, we are a 2-seed. I don't see the possibility for a 1 seed unless we go undefeated and even then it wouldn't surprise me to be on the 2 line.

3 seed is in the bag. not enough losses on the balance of schedule to drop to the 4 line.

my guess as of now, 30% 1 seed, 60% 2 seed, 10% lower. we'll start to see some real attrition in the bigger leagues after the new year, as always, and there's just not much meat left on GU's sched that gives them more than 2-4 losses MAX.

Malastein
12-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Those Ball kids at UCLA are all sounding like they could be future NBA All Stars, and the way their dad brags that they could all be future Hall of Famers. Lonzo looks like he could be the number 1 pick if UCLA keeps winning, and Markelle Flutz' UW Huskies keep losing. There is some serious talent in this freshmen class...

gonstu
12-15-2016, 01:45 PM

If undefeated, I would be surprised to not get a 1-seed.

tinfoilzag
12-15-2016, 01:48 PM
If undefeated, I would be surprised to not get a 1-seed.

I'll always remember being ranked 3 in the nation and getting a 5 seed...

CDC84
12-15-2016, 01:49 PM
Alford indicated last year that he wants to start a new series with Gonzaga soon.

It just makes sense for GU to play Arizona and UCLA every year....except when they are playing in the same holiday tournament. Both teams get to play a top 25 team without having to travel 6 gazillion miles for the return game.

gonstu
12-15-2016, 01:54 PM

You're going back too far. 2013 tourney, zags 31-2, a 1-seed. Glass ceiling broken it can happen again. FWIW, I don't think they'll go undefeated - but if they do it's a 1-seed.

maynard g krebs
12-15-2016, 03:23 PM

Worse. It was a 6, and played MWC champ Wyoming at elevation in front of a MWC crowd in Albuquerque.

maynard g krebs
12-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Those Ball kids at UCLA are all sounding like they could be future NBA All Stars, and the way their dad brags that they could all be future Hall of Famers. Lonzo looks like he could be the number 1 pick if UCLA keeps winning, and Markelle Flutz' UW Huskies keep losing. There is some serious talent in this freshmen class...

Ball is so much better than Fultz it looks just silly to see Fultz ahead of him on draft boards.

tinfoilzag
12-15-2016, 04:00 PM
Worse. It was a 6, and played MWC champ Wyoming at elevation in front of a MWC crowd in Albuquerque. That is worse, I guess my memory is fading. Didn't they play the game in a cave? It was hard to tell with the lighting.

As for this year, Villinova, UCLA, Kentucky, Duke on the one line. Any losses will be explained away. Last time we were a 1 we lost to a 9 and they will remember.

MaroonZag22
12-16-2016, 10:25 AM
Last time we were a 1 we lost to a 9 and they will remember.

Except that that 9 seed was really deserving of a 3....and they were a 1 seed the following year after losing no one to graduation/transfer/draft.

seacatfan
12-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Ball is so much better than Fultz it looks just silly to see Fultz ahead of him on draft boards.

Ball wouldn't look as good if he had Fultz's teammates instead of his UCLA squad.

DixieZag
12-16-2016, 11:37 AM
Worse. It was a 6, and played MWC champ Wyoming at elevation in front of a MWC crowd in Albuquerque.

And Father Tony passed away that week prior.

That was the greatest loss. Irreplaceable.

And it was played in a cave. The Pitt at University of New Mexico. You walk up to it and it looks like a one story building, walk in and go by the popcorn venders and stuff, then look straight down b/c you're 40 rows up or whatever. Aptly name. Great place to watch a game, though. Good food, cool town.

maynard g krebs
12-16-2016, 12:05 PM
Ball wouldn't look as good if he had Fultz's teammates instead of his UCLA squad.

Sure UCLA is a lot better, but it's not like UW is completely devoid of talent. Several 4 star guys.

Switch them and Washington gets considerably better and UCLA worse imo. I think Ball is a transcendent, once in a couple decades (or more?) phenomenon. Every player on UCLA looks positively impacted by his presence. Can't say the same about Fultz and UW.

My guess is flip them and UW is about 7-2 or 6-3 at worst instead of 4-5.

Hoopaholic
12-16-2016, 12:42 PM
Sure UCLA is a lot better, but it's not like UW is completely devoid of talent. Several 4 star guys.

Switch them and Washington gets considerably better and UCLA worse imo. I think Ball is a transcendent, once in a couple decades (or more?) phenomenon. Every player on UCLA looks positively impacted by his presence. Can't say the same about Fultz and UW.

I agree with this opinion

Zagceo
12-16-2016, 01:05 PM

I really hope Lonzo (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18268717/ucla-bruins-lonzo-ball-family-just-beginning-relationship) stays another year and plays with his brother. Special to watch and would be great for West Coast basketball.

Longshot but last chance for them to play together. Tight family

seacatfan
12-16-2016, 01:45 PM

I agree to an extent. UCLA has several things UW doesn't--talented upperclassmen and multiple good options at the 4 and 5. UCLA underachieved massively last year, certainly their turnaround this year has to be credited largely to the newcomers (and Leaf deserves a fair bit of this as well as Ball).

There may be some "talent" on UW's roster but I can't even imagine how dreadful they'd be without Fultz. He is averaging about 6 assists per game, so he's not just ball hogging to pad his stats.

I think you've got it right about Ball being a transcendent player though. And I can't imagine him returning for a 2nd season at UCLA. That would be shocking if he did.