PDA

View Full Version : Bilas Index: Top 68 Teams

zagzilla
12-14-2016, 04:47 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/18268314/the-bilas-index-give-true-look-best-68-teams-all-land

Has the Zags at #9

"This is not Mark Few's best team. It is not his most talented team. It is his most balanced team. Gonzaga plays eight guys: four perimeter and four post players. Nobody is going to average 20 points per game, but six of the eight could score more than 20 in a given game. The freshmen big men, Killian Tillie and Zach Collins, are special. Having Nigel Williams-Goss and Josh Perkins playing together gives the Zags stability and risk-taking playmaking combined. Plus, Mark Few has Przemek Karnowski (pronounced Bob Jones) back and healthy."

SMC at #22
"Don't be too shocked at the loss to UT-Arlington. Every good team will lose, and Saint Mary's is a darn good team. The Gaels can shoot it, cut hard and really spread the floor and force long close-outs. The difference isn't shooting, though. It is a quality big man in Jock Landale, a 6-foot-10 forward who can shoot, pass and rebound. He is the difference-maker. The trouble is Gonzaga has three of him.":roll::roll:

Good one JB

Go Zags,

ZZ

ZagsObserver
12-14-2016, 04:50 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/18268314/the-bilas-index-give-true-look-best-68-teams-all-land

Has the Zags at #9

"This is not Mark Few's best team. It is not his most talented team. It is his most balanced team. Gonzaga plays eight guys: four perimeter and four post players. Nobody is going to average 20 points per game, but six of the eight could score more than 20 in a given game. The freshmen big men, Killian Tillie and Zach Collins, are special. Having Nigel Williams-Goss and Josh Perkins playing together gives the Zags stability and risk-taking playmaking combined. Plus, Mark Few has Przemek Karnowski (pronounced Bob Jones) back and healthy."

SMC at #22
"Don't be too shocked at the loss to UT-Arlington. Every good team will lose, and Saint Mary's is a darn good team. The Gaels can shoot it, cut hard and really spread the floor and force long close-outs. The difference isn't shooting, though. It is a quality big man in Jock Landale, a 6-foot-10 forward who can shoot, pass and rebound. He is the difference-maker. The trouble is Gonzaga has three of him.":roll::roll:

Good one JB

Go Zags,

ZZ

Can't disagree with any of that.

zagzilla
12-14-2016, 04:51 PM
Also BYU #62
"Injuries have been an issue for BYU, but Eric Mika has been outstanding. After a two-year mission, Mika averaged 21 points, 8.5 rebounds and five blocks against Weber State and Colorado. Mika gets to the foul line 10 times per game."

My least favorite opponent player this season.

ZZ

CDC84
12-14-2016, 05:03 PM
In all honesty, whether or not this year's team is Mark Few's best team or most talented team has yet to be determined. I don't know if you can make judgments like that in mid-December.

Malastein
12-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Who is number one? UCLA? Also, will Lonzo Ball overtake Markelle Fultz as the number one pick by season's end?

gonzagafan62
12-14-2016, 05:58 PM
In all honesty, whether or not this year's team is Mark Few's best team or most talented team has yet to be determined. I don't know if you can make judgments like that in mid-December.

This

MontanaCoyote
12-14-2016, 06:18 PM

The man with 9,653 posts is right. Time will tell.

DixieZag
12-14-2016, 06:21 PM

Truth.

Disappointed w/ BYU this season. Their play renders them deserving of the rank, but they're capable of so much more. Typical Dave Rose team.

Honest assessment, 9 is probably about right, 7-10 can all be defended.

Beating Tennessee in Nashville (sort of neutral, not really) would be a decent win that might raise us 1-2.

I don't want to get into it again, but SMC looks to have the 'BEAT GU' again as the key to their tourney life. If they don't beat us at least once, seems (to me) like they can't afford a loss to anyone else.

I want them in the tourney.

Patchin and Oso sounded like idiots today, speaking of "if the season ended today, GU would be a one or 2 seed. A 2 seed isn't impossible, but last 2, first 3 or so seems more realistic to me. I don't think that show is as bad as most people here do. I think it's a pretty good show for a market this size, really. But, they blew that. Their Seahawk coverage is pretty good.

RenoZag
12-14-2016, 06:26 PM
Who is number one? UCLA? Also, will Lonzo Ball overtake Markelle Fultz as the number one pick by season's end?

1. Villanova
2. Duke
3. UCLA
4. UNC
5. Kansas
6. Kentucky
7. Baylor
8. Indiana

MTZag03
12-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Truth.

Disappointed w/ BYU this season. Their play renders them deserving of the rank, but they're capable of so much more. Typical Dave Rose team.

Honest assessment, 9 is probably about right, 7-10 can all be defended.

Beating Tennessee in Nashville (sort of neutral, not really) would be a decent win that might raise us 1-2.

I don't want to get into it again, but SMC looks to have the 'BEAT GU' again as the key to their tourney life. If they don't beat us at least once, seems (to me) like they can't afford a loss to anyone else.

I want them in the tourney.

Patchin and Oso sounded like idiots today, speaking of "if the season ended today, GU would be a one or 2 seed. A 2 seed isn't impossible, but last 2, first 3 or so seems more realistic to me. I don't think that show is as bad as most people here do. I think it's a pretty good show for a market this size, really. But, they blew that. Their Seahawk coverage is pretty good.

SMC owes it to their fans and players to not put themselves in that position. And gaming RPI won't cut it.

Zag_Dad
12-16-2016, 01:17 PM
SMC owes it to their fans and players to not put themselves in that position. And gaming RPI won't cut it.

Curious why their scheduling is an issue THIS year. Isn't SMC's strength of schedule better than Gonzaga's this year? KenPom currently has them at 15 while Gonzaga is at 13. That is with the SMC loss to UTA. I'm not suggesting that Gonzaga has had an easier path, just that on paper SMC has done a decent job with scheduling this year.

I think they'll make it into the tournament if they split the series with both GU and BYU (assuming they don't drop more than one other conference game). I'd prefer that Gonzaga sweep SMC and they still get in, but it should make for some really exciting basketball. I think it's awesome that SMC offers GU some decent conference play. It should make us more prepared for the tournament.

GO ZAGS

MTZag03
12-16-2016, 01:54 PM
Two things on that. First, I expect their RPI to drop more than us. Second, how many likely tournament teams will they have won against? This year's schedule is better, and they did have the sanctions against pre season tournaments that kept them out in the past. I just think overall they have scheduled below their abilities.

Zag_Dad
12-16-2016, 02:00 PM
Two things on that. First, I expect their RPI to drop more than us. Second, how many likely tournament teams will they have won against? This year's schedule is better, and they did have the sanctions against pre season tournaments that kept them out in the past. I just think overall they have scheduled below their abilities.

I agree that their scheduling "could" be better but it just feels like thy have moved out of the category of "shameful" that we have seen from them in years past.

ZagsObserver
12-16-2016, 02:09 PM
The committee is using rpi less, and wins against tournament teams and top 50 and top 100 teams (however they want to define that). To that end, if SMC has no wins against tournament teams it could be challenging for SMC, especially since they didn't even schedule a tournament team in ooc (if it plays out that way).

For gonzaga, Florida, Arizona and Iowa St. are probable, and San Diego state and maybe Akron are in the same category as Stanford and Dayton.

I wish Washington and Tennessee could also be counted as nice wins (assumes a victory against the Vols), but sadly that won't likely be the case this year.