PDA

View Full Version : Verbal Commits Suggestions

NathanVC
12-13-2016, 08:20 PM
Hello, Zags fans! My name is Nathan LeClair and I am the CEO of Verbal Commits (http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/gonzaga).

I'm reaching out to y'all for suggestions for our site. What would you like to see changed, implemented, etc.? Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you!

Nevada Don
12-13-2016, 09:29 PM
FWIW, I communicated with Nathan about 10 days ago out of the blue concerning some things concerning his site and Saint Mary's. Nathan was very knowledgeable, extremely nice and he made the changes on the spot after a couple of back and forth email exchanges. I am not an expert on this stuff but Verbal Commits has always been my go to site. I can assure you that the info pertaining to SMC about "offers, commits, spots available, etc." are accurate.

ps I actually checked out the GU site earlier today to make sure you were out of spots for next year rather than having 3 more 4 star transfers coming in.:drool:

SWZag
12-13-2016, 09:52 PM
I'll say that I came across the site quite a while ago (it was new then) and think it's outstanding. I like the simple setup. Don't try to make it complex, you'll lose viewers, in my opinion. I'll leave this short, but I can't say enough good things about it. Great work!!

Welcome to the Board, hang around if you like!

gonzagafan62
12-13-2016, 09:52 PM
I actually enjoyed looking at your site. Great information in there and it looks really clean. Will take some more time over the next couple days to examine further since I'm up well past my bedtime

gonzagafan62
12-13-2016, 09:53 PM
I'll say that I came across the site quite a while ago (it was new then) and think it's outstanding. I like the simple setup. Don't try to make it complex, you'll lose viewers, in my opinion. I'll leave this short, but I can't say enough good things about it. Great work!!

Yes please hang around.

NathanVC
12-13-2016, 10:17 PM
FWIW, I communicated with Nathan about 10 days ago out of the blue concerning some things concerning his site and Saint Mary's. Nathan was very knowledgeable, extremely nice and he made the changes on the spot after a couple of back and forth email exchanges. I am not an expert on this stuff but Verbal Commits has always been my go to site. I can assure you that the info pertaining to SMC about "offers, commits, spots available, etc." are accurate.

ps I actually checked out the GU site earlier today to make sure you were out of spots for next year rather than having 3 more 4 star transfers coming in.:drool:

Don! Nice to hear from you. I appreciate the kind words, thanks again for reaching out about Saint Mary's. It's fans like yourself who help ensure our accuracy by emailing corrections. Helps me out a ton!

NathanVC
12-13-2016, 10:30 PM

Thanks for sticking with us! I might be biased, but I like our setup as well. Quick, concise, and gets information across in a convenient manner.

I appreciate the insight. Admittedly, our rankings have not been so great as of recent. It used to be all automated, but we have had some struggles keeping up with the rankings from Rivals, Scout, and ESPN. I am hoping to have that fixed ASAP and if possible, add 247 ratings. They have taken off these last couple years. Fans love their star ratings!!

I agree with with keeping things simple; the simplicity of how we display our data is something we take great pride in.

I'll definitely be around here! Thanks for the comment, SWZag.

NathanVC
12-13-2016, 10:32 PM
I actually enjoyed looking at your site. Great information in there and it looks really clean. Will take some more time over the next couple days to examine further since I'm up well past my bedtime

Thank you! Glad you enjoy it.

Sounds good, I'll keep an eye out for your comment. I'm with ya, it's way past bedtime as well.

Birddog
12-14-2016, 03:38 AM
I'll remain a skeptic, the other Nathan I know on this board can't tell time.

WallaWallaZag
12-14-2016, 04:59 AM
hi nathan - with the proliferation of graduate transfers, i think you need something to indicate this:

jordan mathews(gt)

edited to add: actually, looking again, i realize there is nothing to indicate any transfers in...only out...

so i would also want to see something like this:

nigel williams-goss(rs-t)

WallaWallaZag
12-14-2016, 05:15 AM
looking further, there's a redundancy in your scholarship chart that could be improved...you already indicate if a player has redshirted with the (rs) behind their name, so there really isn't any reason to change the font color to "burgundy"...

you might as well leave it black to keep things from getting too complicated...that way, if i see standard black font i'll automatically know it is a scholarship player....too much color coding gets confusing.

NathanVC
12-14-2016, 07:35 AM
hi nathan - with the proliferation of graduate transfers, i think you need something to indicate this:

jordan mathews(gt)

edited to add: actually, looking again, i realize there is nothing to indicate any transfers in...only out...

so i would also want to see something like this:

nigel williams-goss(rs-t)

Gotcha! I like that idea. A way to indicate those who transferred in to the program. I'll put that on our Idea List.

NathanVC
12-14-2016, 07:41 AM
looking further, there's a redundancy in your scholarship chart that could be improved...you already indicate if a player has redshirted with the (rs) behind their name, so there really isn't any reason to change the font color to "burgundy"...

you might as well leave it black to keep things from getting too complicated...that way, if i see standard black font i'll automatically know it is a scholarship player....too much color coding gets confusing.

We have two redshirt tags, one that is brighter red and one that is burgundy. Brighter red indicates the player is currently redshirting, while the burgundy means they previously redshirted. Removing the burgundy color and listing past redshirts in black font is something I'll look in to.

If they are purple, that means "walk-on." Every other color besides blue (offers) means they are on scholarship. If we can find a way to list charts in an alternative manner that uses less colors, we'll try to implement that. Different versions of the chart is intriguing. Perhaps keep the charts as is, and list another version that includes less colors and more tags?

Outraged
12-14-2016, 06:42 PM
I think it would be cool to have a Recruiting violation tab that would have the schools that have violations and their penalty.

Also, a Recruiting rules page would be good resource that can be used as a resource.

NathanVC
12-16-2016, 10:59 AM
I think it would be cool to have a Recruiting violation tab that would have the schools that have violations and their penalty.

Also, a Recruiting rules page would be good resource that can be used as a resource.

Good ideas! A recruiting rules page would be a great resource for players and their parents. Love this idea.