• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagger
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

Who's 3rd in WCC? BYU or ???

We enter league play on 12/29 against Pepperdine in McCarthy. (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskb...kbl-sched.html) We know the Zags and SMC likely have a lock on #1 and #2 in the WCC. If BYU isn't #3, who is? How do Pacific, San Diego, Portland, others look? Is there a 'sleeper' WCC team that could push BYU out of a third place in the WCC?
  • bartruff1
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

I doubt it...but if there is a sleeper, it may be San Francisco...

Comment

• Kiddwell
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Right now...

...BYU. Hoping something's going on at USF, and their success translates into a lot of WCC wins. So many new WCC coaches bringing in their systems, hardly had time to recruit their guys, etc. Probably have a good idea how well those coaches will do in two, three years. BYU, though, has noteworthy talent, but are young and learning to be a unit. Thought this would be their year to make The Dance (and maybe they still will). Next year, though, Cougars oughta be formidable. If not, think "they (like UWKFC) need a new coach."*

Pepperdine's a bit of a disappointment this year.

:]

<*Not wishing anyone to lose his job. Just D1 b-ball reality.>
      Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• ZagsObserver
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2010

BYU, and not even close. The BYU you'll see in 2 months will be better than the BYU of today by no small margin. They have a lot of new faces over there.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

BYU or USF
          Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• zagdontzig
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
            If not, think "they (like UWKFC) need a new coach."
            I hate saying this, but Dave Rose is a good coach and won't lose his job. BYU's stumbling is largely by virtue of BYU's honor code, a disadvantage in-built in its recruiting power. BYU relies on the occasional start-power of a Fredette coming out of Lone Peak or a Matt Carlino transferring in and being consistent to have real success.

Also, as alluded to below, Kaufusi's return is going to be a problem for us. He's a dirty player, as many of them are, but they seem to get away with it. See Brandon Davies 1-season suspension for consensual sex with his future wife in comparison to Nick Emery 1-game suspension for committing a battery in regulation, punching Brandon Taylor.

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
            BYU, and not even close. The BYU you'll see in 2 months will be better than the BYU of today by no small margin. They have a lot of new faces over there.
            Originally posted by Reborn
            Go Zags!!!
            Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• maynard g krebs
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
              BYU or USF
              Kenpom has BYU at 56, USF at 195, FWIW.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2007

Sticking by my pre-season prediction:

Gonzaga
                BYU
                3rd. St Marys

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2009

If they aren't the third best team right now, BYU will be the third best team by February. USF has a better record, but the Dons have played a very weak schedule. The Dons' best RPI win was against a 5-4 Lamar team ranked 248 in the RPI. The one game they played against a team in the Top 200 was that loss to EWU. USF's strength of schedule ranks 342.

Portland is probably the best of the others. They have three losses, but losing to Dayton, UCLA, and Colorado is not unexpected for a middle-tier WCC team. They have won the games they should have won. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ortland-pilots
                  “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• mgadfly
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I about puke when I look at USF's strength of schedule (Kenpom: 351st). They are 7-1, but I'd rather be Portland with decent outings against UCLA, Dayton, and Colorado and a 136th ranked SOS.

Kenpom SOS for WCC teams:
                    1. SMC - 118
                    2. Portland - 136
                    3. Pacific - 144
                    4. Pepperdine - 166
                    5. Gonzaga - 185
                    6. BYU - 237
                    7. LMU - 276
                    8. USD - 325
                    9. Broncs - 334
                    10. USF - 351

I think GU's non-conference SOS will trend up as some of the teams have underperformed. However, when the WCC only gets one team in again we shouldn't blame the committee, but our conference-mates scheduling practices.

Comment

• sittingon50
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post
                      I hate saying this, but Dave Rose is a good coach and won't lose his job. BYU's stumbling is largely by virtue of BYU's honor code, a disadvantage in-built in its recruiting power. BYU relies on the occasional start-power of a Fredette coming out of Lone Peak or a Matt Carlino transferring in and being consistent to have real success.

Also, as alluded to below, Kaufusi's return is going to be a problem for us. He's a dirty player, as many of them are, but they seem to get away with it. See Brandon Davies 1-season suspension for consensual sex with his future wife in comparison to Nick Emery 1-game suspension for committing a battery in regulation, punching Brandon Taylor.
                      Jimmer grew up in N.Y., as I recall.

On the flip side zig, don't you feel that BYU has a built in church advantage, much like Notre Dame? Most of the churches have gyms; kids are playing organized hoops from a young age. Plus those that serve missions are generally graduating at around age 24.

IMO, the younger Kafusi isn't that bad. He came to play hoops. His older brother, however, came to play football & is now in the NFL.

Just some thoughts.
                      But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post

Jimmer was from upstate New York, Glens Falls, in the shadow of the Adirondacks. A lovely town north of Saratoga and south of Lake George.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mgadfly View Post
                          I about puke when I look at USF's strength of schedule (Kenpom: 351st). They are 7-1, but I'd rather be Portland with decent outings against UCLA, Dayton, and Colorado and a 136th ranked SOS.

Kenpom SOS for WCC teams:
                          1. SMC - 118
                          2. Portland - 136
                          3. Pacific - 144
                          4. Pepperdine - 166
                          5. Gonzaga - 185
                          6. BYU - 237
                          7. LMU - 276
                          8. USD - 325
                          9. Broncs - 334
                          10. USF - 351

I think GU's non-conference SOS will trend up as some of the teams have underperformed. However, when the WCC only gets one team in again we shouldn't blame the committee, but our conference-mates scheduling practices.
                          I think Bryant, Quinnipiac, and Mississippi Valley tanked our SOS, perhaps Utah Valley as well. IMO, adds more importance to winning in Nashville on Sunday. We aren't going to get much help from the lower half of the WCC when it comes to SOS.

I think our OOC has been reasonable this year, considering the turnover of players from last year.

Comment

• zagdontzig
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                            Jimmer grew up in N.Y., as I recall.

On the flip side zig, don't you feel that BYU has a built in church advantage, much like Notre Dame? Most of the churches have gyms; kids are playing organized hoops from a young age. Plus those that serve missions are generally graduating at around age 24.

IMO, the younger Kafusi isn't that bad. He came to play hoops. His older brother, however, came to play football & is now in the NFL.

Just some thoughts.
                            Corbin is playing football and will rejoin MBB after the season is over. I think he's athletic, but I also think he uses physicality for what he lacks in talent, and this is dangerous when he gets frustrated against an opponent who's outplaying him, because he starts throwing high elbows and undercutting guys.

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                            Jimmer was from upstate New York, Glens Falls, in the shadow of the Adirondacks. A lovely town north of Saratoga and south of Lake George.
                            By "a fredette" I meant a typical BYU all-offense-no-defense 2 or a 3, but thank you for the information, I didn't know that.
                            Originally posted by Reborn
                            Go Zags!!!
                            Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• TravelinZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2012

Interesting discussion for a slow week, but in the end, who cares? The same WCC will not get, and does not deserve three bids to the dance. Shame that the few competitive teams must share tourney revenues with schools that have no interest in fielding a good team but greedily lamp up the money and use it for something else. GU men's and women's basketball teams would be better off as independents, leaving the non-revenue sports in the WCC. If only larger leagues had not made OOC scheduling so difficult. Zags could compete in any conference; they might not dominate every year, but with multiple bids, would still Dance as often.

Comment

Working...
                              X