PDA

View Full Version : Will Fewie Have to Watch his Step This Season?

ZagNative
10-11-2007, 09:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3058992

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Mark%20Few/Few-WSU06-complainsaboutfoulonJosh.jpg

Enforcement of bench rules could result in technicals this season

Associated Press
Updated: October 11, 2007, 4:37 PM ET

NDIANAPOLIS -- Cursing or venturing onto the court could draw college basketball coaches a quick technical foul this season.

The NCAA is making bench decorum a point of emphasis for 2007-08 and warns coaches to expect a whistle without warning for a variety of unsportsmanlike actions.

Referees who are consistent in enforcing the rules will be rewarded.

"The bench decorum rules, which include staying in the prescribed coaching box, have been interpreted in various ways for some time," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, the president of the National Association of Basketball Coaches, said Thursday. "This initiative for strengthened, consistent enforcement has significant ramifications. Coaches and game officials who do not strictly adhere to the rules will be penalized."

The actions that can draw a technical include disrespectfully addressing an official or attempting to influence an official's decision, using abusive or profane language, taunting an opponent, inciting undesirable crowd reactions and coming onto the court without permission of an official to attend to an injured player.

The rules will also apply to assistant coaches, other team personnel and players on the bench.

Officials who consistently enforce the rules will be given preferential consideration for conference and NCAA tournament assignments.

Word to the wise: The photo and the connection to Coach Few are not contained in the story cited but simply reflect ZN's fevered imagination.

wazZag
10-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Fewie gets away with alot in K2. :)

Larryzag
10-11-2007, 10:11 PM
From the Memphis game:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4843/p2172010uh6.jpg

ZagNative
10-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Another neat photo from LarryZag. Thanks!

At least Fewie's not on the court in that pic, though.

Birddog
10-12-2007, 05:17 AM
Cursing or venturing onto the court could draw college basketball coaches a quick technical foul this season.

The NCAA is making bench decorum a point of emphasis for 2007-08 and warns coaches to expect a whistle without warning for a variety of unsportsmanlike actions.

Will this apply to the guy in the black sweater with the O'Rielly's logo? Sounds like a double edged sword if it does.

Birddog

http://www.redraiders.com/images/031207/8441_512.jpg

Of course, how would a cherub like this have a problem?

gozagswoohoo
10-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Getting a Technical Foul for tending to an injured player without getting permission to come onto the floor?? Now thats just stupid, IMO...

JLGutrocks
10-12-2007, 08:01 AM
disrespectfully addressing an official or attempting to influence an official's decision,

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m180/JLGutrocks/fewangry.jpg

"Wanna go for a beer after the game?"

LongIslandZagFan
10-12-2007, 08:08 AM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m180/JLGutrocks/fewangry.jpg

"Wanna go for a beer after the game?"

I'm telling you ref... Jack and Dan's is right over there!

ZagNative
10-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Ooooh! That's a dandy pic, JL!

Bocco
10-12-2007, 08:32 AM
As I read through this thread I cannot help but think of watching Fitz pace around in the old Kennel. Compared to some of Fitz's tirades Mark Few is a choirboy.

RenoZag
10-12-2007, 08:59 AM
As I read through this thread I cannot help but think of watching Fitz pace around in the old Kennel. Compared to some of Fitz's tirades Mark Few is a choirboy.

Fitz was the all-time champ foot stomper. . .he would slam those wing tips down on the floor and it would sound like a rifle shot.

brasszag
10-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Fitz looked like he was about to blow a gasket even before the toss-up...

CDC84
10-12-2007, 10:40 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=288631

Angelo Roncalli
10-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Conversation during a timeout at the old Kennel after referee Dan Niksich had made a "questionable" call against the Zags:

Fitz: Dan, can you give me a technical for what I'm thinking?

Niksich: Of course not, Fitz.

Fitz: Well, I'm thinking that was the #&@(ing $#!+iest call you've ever made.

bulldogshawn
10-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Dave Libbey's new instructional videos covering this topic should be expected soon.

Seriously, I could see him giving one of these every game he refs. What a joke.

jbslicer
10-12-2007, 11:33 AM
It will be interesting to see if they call a "T" for a coach coming on the floor. Ben Howland is on the court for most of the game. Let's see if the refs have the balls to "T" him up.

Zag 77
10-12-2007, 02:02 PM
The NCAA comes out every few years with restrictions on Football coaches and Basketball coaches staying within certain lines. I would expect that just like in the past, there may be some token enforcement the first few games of the season, and then everybody will calm down and get back to normal. Example: NCAA football coaches come outside the lines all the time and nothing ever happens.

Gonzdb8
10-12-2007, 02:35 PM
i think incentivizing the process for the refs, i.e. preferential treatment for NCAA and conference tourney assignments, makes this go around much different than past situations when there was only token enforcement. personally i'd like to see some strict enforcement (other than the instances when a coach comes on the court to see about an injured players). coaches that scream, curse, and break the rules probably aren't setting a good example for the students in their charge. just my .02 but i'm fairly certain i'd get a call from the dean if i acted that way in front of students.

primal23
10-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Course Libbey's would be, if the coach looks at me, its a technical, if the players or coaches are getting more attention then me, I will call a technical. If I'm having a bad day, I will eject what ever team I like the least. For I am the lord of the roundball, god of the hoop, and emperor of the court DAVE LIBBEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TexasZagFan
10-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Conversation during a timeout at the old Kennel after referee Dan Niksich had made a "questionable" call against the Zags:

Fitz: Dan, can you give me a technical for what I'm thinking?

Niksich: Of course not, Fitz.

Fitz: Well, I'm thinking that was the #&@(ing $#!+iest call you've ever made.

Another blast from the past:

Early 80's, preliminary game of the Sun Bowl Basketball Tournament in El Paso. I see Niksich stroll onto the floor, and I have my typical Niksich reaction, i.e. moaning loudly while curling up in a fetal position.

My girlfriend looks at me, asking "what's wrong?"

"NIKSICH IS HERE! He's one of the worst referees in the country! He refereed games at Gonzaga the entire four years I was there!" :argh:

My girlfriend says, "he can't be that bad!"

I respond "yeah...just watch".

Less than ten minutes into the first half, my girlfriend turns to me, and says:

"You're right...he SUCKS!".

Zags-Bsee
10-13-2007, 02:42 PM
No time to post, but that is good, cause I am in "awe" of the quality of this board. The depth of fun, for a fan, is something to be thankful for. I didn't have a clue who "NIKSICH" is, but I love hearing about it and all the other great posts I can't possibly acknowledge. A board that actually remembers the refs name from that long ago and takes the time to share such a great story is something to appreciate.

Thanks. :)

One quick thought, this is my first 6 months on this board, but my sense is about this years team is WOW as well. If you can't watch them play, then reading about players here is a lot of fun.

Thanks again :)

soonerterp
10-14-2007, 01:18 AM
Getting a Technical Foul for tending to an injured player without getting permission to come onto the floor?? Now thats just stupid, IMO...

Incredibly stupid.

I'd like to see how many Ts Bob Knight or Mike Krzyzewski get this season for breaking the decorum rules.