PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game: Akron - 12. 10. 16

RenoZag
12-10-2016, 06:53 PM
BOX SCORE: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=147553

Zags were outrebounded (again) but they managed a win on a night when the offense was anemic , 61 - 43, to begin the season 10 - 0.

Which Bulldog stood out tonight as the difference maker ?

gonzagafan62
12-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Some won't like it but I will take Karnowski. Wore down their frontline for them frustrated and AND created separation

seacatfan
12-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Karno for me too. Don't even see who else you could give it to. Maybe NWG? Ugly game, but they got it done down the stretch.

ZagNative
12-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Voted for Karnowski too. Who won't like it, other than Jazz?

Some won't like it but I will take Karnowski. Wore down their frontline for them frustrated and AND created separation

Goshzagit
12-10-2016, 06:58 PM
The FT line?

Zags 17 - 20

Zips 6 - 14

Sarenyon
12-10-2016, 07:00 PM
Even though the stats were not stellar in the box score, I think the team played the best with JWIII on the court... at least from my point of view. So I voted other. JWIII.

Another great game from Karno though.

23dpg
12-10-2016, 07:01 PM
Even though the stats were not stellar in the box score, I think the team played the best with JWIII on the court... at least from my point of view. So I voted other. JWIII.

I just assumed Jazz voted for Collins. (Drops mike)

MontanaCoyote
12-10-2016, 07:01 PM
Shem for Sure. He had to bump, bang and grind tonight. Worked real hard. No backin' up or down. Great job, Shem!

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-10-2016, 07:03 PM
Karnowski was the leading scorer, leading rebounder, and guarded the other team's best player. He put their front line in foul trouble and made free throws.

Sounds like the difference maker in an ugly game.

TexasZagFan
12-10-2016, 07:03 PM
Shem took Johnson out of his game.

ZagNative
12-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Exactly. Thanks for making the point. Hard to justify anyone beside Shem.

Karnowski was the leading scorer, leading rebounder, and guarded the other team's best player. He put their front line in foul trouble and made free throws.

zagfan94
12-10-2016, 07:06 PM

I want to see more drives from the wing from him. That hop step in the first half was gorgeous.

Zagdawg
12-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Big K getting it done-- glad we had that matchup ---anyone else gets manhandled.

bartruff1
12-10-2016, 07:09 PM
What's not to like....l without Kano, this might have been a loss...

MTZag03
12-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Everyone else already said it. Shem. It wasn't beautiful but it was effective and made the difference.

Zagceo
12-10-2016, 07:18 PM
The FT line?

Zags 17 - 20

Zips 6 - 14

agree

nice to see Przemek 4-4 from the line

willandi
12-10-2016, 07:21 PM
I just assumed Jazz voted for Collins. (Drops mike)

Who is Mike?

gonzagafan62
12-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Who is Mike?

LOL!!!!!!!

TexasZagFan
12-10-2016, 07:33 PM
I want to see more drives from the wing from him. That hop step in the first half was gorgeous.

I'd like to see a few more rebounds from JWIII. He had 3 in 25 minutes tonight. Seems like he's still finding his place on the court.

bartruff1
12-10-2016, 07:41 PM
I'd like to see a few more rebounds from JWIII. He had 3 in 25 minutes tonight. Seems like he's still finding his place on the court.

Your right, Missouri should could have used him....I am so glad he is here....he always seems to make a important play..he will feast in the WCC and be ready to go in March.

hooter73
12-10-2016, 08:08 PM
NWG kept us together, but senior Karno had all the pressure on him tonight and handled it great.

DixieZag
12-10-2016, 08:30 PM
NWG kept us together, but senior Karno had all the pressure on him tonight and handled it great.

I voted for Karno because he scored when needed and defended a guy bigger than a boat. I can't tell if that guy just isn't a scorer or what, but he just wasn't interested in really trying to battle up his shot in solation.

But, with respect to your post, an argument can easily be made that NWG keeps that team together, he's the one everyone looks to for leadership and is the one expected to make the big play, even when making the big play is simply getting the ball in the right place. He's unquestionably the leader.

krii
12-11-2016, 03:16 AM
Karnowski won the battle, even if his shot was a bit off. To be honest two or three shots should have been in (they rimed out) but even on low efficiency he was just the best player on the court. When he was playing the entire team played better, especially on the defensive side.

Btw. after Akron game Shem is 14/24 from FT. That is .583 - the highest ratio of his career. I said it once before the season and I'll repeat: in my opinion with his improved shooting mechanics he can reach .650/.700 level. It seems more and more doable! :)

Zagger
12-11-2016, 04:54 AM
Karno's my favorite Zag but I voted for Melson. I felt he got our scoring going in 2nd half. His defense isn't too shabby either :)

kitzbuel
12-11-2016, 05:04 AM
Karno's my favorite Zag but I voted for Melson. I felt he got our scoring going in 2nd half. His defense isn't too shabby either :)

I like your argument for Melson. Zips couldn't match the Zags bench and he was that difference.

However, Zags probably lose this game without Karno.

MontanaCoyote
12-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Karnowski won the battle, even if his shot was a bit off. To be honest two or three shots should have been in (they rimed out) but even on low efficiency he was just the best player on the court. When he was playing the entire team played better, especially on the defensive side.

Btw. after Akron game Shem is 14/24 from FT. That is .583 - the highest ratio of his career. I said it once before the season and I'll repeat: in my opinion with his improved shooting mechanics he can reach .650/.700 level. It seems more and more doable! :)

"When he (Shem) was playing the entire team played better........." I think stats would back this up about 90% of the time, both on O and D. "The Presence" is a tremendous "stabilizer" who, IMHO tends to bring out the best in his team mates. Tillie and Collins will be our "Twin Towers" next year and we, and they, are more than fortunate to have Shem as a teacher, mentor and model. Going to say it again, "No other player in D-1 is more valuable to his team in so many different ways than Shem."

CanadianZagsFan
12-11-2016, 02:40 PM
I went Melson. An analogy I'll use is he was like a RB (or LB if you want defense version) in a football game that was 10-7. A lot of miscues/misfires overall in the game itself , but Melson was there when he had to be.

Karno was solid ,but I don't feel he was a runaway player of the game. A coach I could see giving his player of the game award in the locker room to Melson.

bballbeachbum
12-11-2016, 05:04 PM
Karno

TravelinZag
12-11-2016, 05:16 PM

In a nutshell; can't add anything or express it more briefly!

Reborn
12-12-2016, 08:44 PM
MT Karno

ZagOD7540
12-13-2016, 09:20 AM
Did anyone else notice Perkins and Coach Few toward the end of the 2nd half? Perkins tried to throw a lob pass to Shim on a fast break that didn't quite work out. Few wasn't too happy about it. A timeout was called and Perkins walked right by Few as he was glaring at him, then it went to commercial. I wonder if something is going on between the two? Next thing you know Perkins drills a three coming off of a screen. It seemed like a kind of "I'll show you" moment. Why only the 2 shots during the game? Why was he not "hunting" for his shot? Is NWG becoming "they guy" at the point? Is Perkins pissed off about it? Thoughts??

Goshzagit
12-13-2016, 09:29 AM
Did anyone else notice Perkins and Coach Few toward the end of the 2nd half? Perkins tried to throw a lob pass to Shim on a fast break that didn't quite work out. Few wasn't too happy about it. A timeout was called and Perkins walked right by Few as he was glaring at him, then it went to commercial. I wonder if something is going on between the two? Next thing you know Perkins drills a three coming off of a screen. It seemed like a kind of "I'll show you" moment. Why only the 2 shots during the game? Why was he not "hunting" for his shot? Is NWG becoming "they guy" at the point? Is Perkins pissed off about it? Thoughts??

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/3420803fdbb763ddcbec91339651b84f1444519921_full.jp g

If you listen to any post-game audio, Coach Few is very complimentary of Perkins' play. IF anything, Coach goes out of his way to comment on him making unselfish plays and getting others involved/set up/etc.

ZagOD7540
12-13-2016, 09:54 AM
Totally agree with your response. I think Perkins has been terrific this season. He just seemed to have an "off" game against Akron. I hope that's all it is.

TexasZagFan
12-13-2016, 12:55 PM
Totally agree with your response. I think Perkins has been terrific this season. He just seemed to have an "off" game against Akron. I hope that's all it is.

IIRC, most of the team had an "off" game, which goes a long way to explain Karno receiving 77 of 90 votes for GUnit.