• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dogtownkid
    Kennel Club Material
    • Mar 2007

Probably OT--but maybe not

The article posted yesterday about Zag basketball saving a marriage mentioned knowing the hometowns of the players.

I knew that Karnowski came from Torun, Poland, and when I was planning a trip to eastern Europe last year, I wanted to spend some time in Poland. I had a couple of days to fill between Gdansk and Warsaw, so when I saw Torun between the two cities, I looked it up in my guidebook.

The book said that it was an attractive town with an especially beautiful Old Town. I decided to see what Shemek's hometown looked like.

I was wandering though the Old Town one day when I dropped by the Golden Arches for a tasty chocolate sundae. Sitting next to me was a young woman with a beautiful little blond boy about thee years old, I'd guess. His mother said, "Bad boy!" (I wanted to tell her that wasn't a good thing to say to a little kid, but naturally I said nothing.) She turned to me and said in English, "He's so moody since his father died." She had met this Irish man on the internet and had gone to live in Ireland. She married or at least lived with this young man, who suddenly dropped dead one day. She showed me his picture on the funeral card. She said she was back in Torun to see her parents.

I explained why I was in Torun---that a favorite basketball player on the Gonzaga basketball team was from Torun and I was curious to see his hometown. She asked what was the player's name, and I said "Karnowski." She said, "Is his father a coach?" and I said I think he is.

She said, "He was my teacher." I thought "Wow! The world is very small when you're a Zags fan!"
  • hondo
    Zag for Life
    • May 2009

Great story Kid. Thanks for sharing. It just that sort of thing that makes following a team so much fun.

Comment

• ProVeeZag
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dogtownkid View Post
      The article posted yesterday about Zag basketball saving a marriage mentioned knowing the hometowns of the players.

I knew that Karnowski came from Torun, Poland, and when I was planning a trip to eastern Europe last year, I wanted to spend some time in Poland. I had a couple of days to fill between Gdansk and Warsaw, so when I saw Torun between the two cities, I looked it up in my guidebook.

The book said that it was an attractive town with an especially beautiful Old Town. I decided to see what Shemek's hometown looked like.

I was wandering though the Old Town one day when I dropped by the Golden Arches for a tasty chocolate sundae. Sitting next to me was a young woman with a beautiful little blond boy about thee years old, I'd guess. His mother said, "Bad boy!" (I wanted to tell her that wasn't a good thing to say to a little kid, but naturally I said nothing.) She turned to me and said in English, "He's so moody since his father died." She had met this Irish man on the internet and had gone to live in Ireland. She married or at least lived with this young man, who suddenly dropped dead one day. She showed me his picture on the funeral card. She said she was back in Torun to see her parents.

I explained why I was in Torun---that a favorite basketball player on the Gonzaga basketball team was from Torun and I was curious to see his hometown. She asked what was the player's name, and I said "Karnowski." She said, "Is his father a coach?" and I said I think he is.

She said, "He was my teacher." I thought "Wow! The world is very small when you're a Zags fan!"
      Thanks for sharing your experience, I enjoyed it. Wise choice on your part to say nothing. Likely none of the ensuing conversation would have happened otherwise. And your remembrance of your time in Torun would not be nearly as positive as it is now. I've learned over the years (the hard way!) that it's very often best not to interject one's unsolicited opinions. Also some of the most interesting experiences happen when you get off the interstates and "take the side road to Torun".
      "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
      —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• krii
        Kennel Club Material
        • Aug 2015

Torun's old town is one of the most beautiful in Poland. Especially in the nighttime. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay!

Comment

• GoZags
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Awesome DTK.

Speaking of Torun, last night's broadcaster (Bob Rondeau from UW) flew to Spokane directly from New York, having received the "Chris Schenkel" College Football Foundation Hall of Fame award the previous night. During the broadcast, he talked about going up to Shem during shootaround with a question. "How do you pronounce your hometown"? The answer ... "Torun" i.e. just like it sounds. Rondeau said he thought to himself ... "Hall of Fame? Riiiight" ....

BTW, it's my opinion that Rondeau is highly deserving ... he's outstanding. http://www.gohuskies.com/news/2016/1...kel-award.aspx
          sigpic
          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
          ——-
          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

Working...
          X