PDA

View Full Version : attendance

sage
12-04-2016, 03:10 PM
How many people at the zag/zona game? Sounded like zona had the crowd there by quite a bit.

I watch the stands and it has to be very embarrassing for teams when no one is there (WSU ??). One game I was watching barely had any and it was a nationally televised game.

willandi
12-04-2016, 06:03 PM
It looked like quite a few empty seats. They no longer (at least on ESPN) put down attendance and capacity.

VaBeachZAG
12-04-2016, 07:01 PM
How many people at the zag/zona game? Sounded like zona had the crowd there by quite a bit.

I watch the stands and it has to be very embarrassing for teams when no one is there (WSU ??). One game I was watching barely had any and it was a nationally televised game.

I read that it was just under 8,000. Not the showing I'm sure the event sponsors hoped to see.

Booster
12-04-2016, 08:26 PM
They sold 10,000 tickets, but in typical LA-scene fashion I'd say it was probably closer to 8-9k. The fans were fairly split throughout the game. Zag fans were definitely the loudest at the end of the game during the "we are GU chant". And to top it off, Rob Sacre was all over the refs throughout. He's a passionate Zag fan.

Zagceo
12-04-2016, 09:24 PM
I read that it was just under 8,000. Not the showing I'm sure the event sponsors hoped to see.

Ventura to San Diego So Cal has 22 million people. It's sad but it's all about the TV money and nobody complains about the visual of empty seats.

No attempt to market games to the public IMO. Social media and Alums because no marketing costs. Results in empty seats.

Anybody notice any commercials or marketing other than social media in the months running up to the games?

Staples Center 19k+ for seating.
AZ 14k
USC 10k
BYU 19k

4 teams draw 7956 to Staples Center......does not make sense

Rangerzag
12-04-2016, 09:28 PM
Attendance: 7952

Per the "Official Basketball Box Score" at:

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2016-2017/gonmbb08.html

sittingon50
12-04-2016, 10:36 PM
And there weren't nearly that many that stuck around for BYU/USC.

Zagceo
12-04-2016, 11:17 PM
From Spokesman

. One thing about the Staples Center in Los Angeles. The arena is so dark that its hard to see on television how many people are in the massive structure. About all that is visible is the crowd near the benches in the lower bowl. The other 17 stories it seems that way are in shadows so thick as to be invisible.
So Im not sure how many people were there to see Gonzaga handle a beat-up Arizona team (http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/shorthanded-arizona-wildcats-can-t-overcome-nightmarish-start-fall-to/article_e2790990-dc9b-5835-bb8a-541a9c8cd0c0.html) or USC rally past BYU. Maybe thousands. Maybe hundreds.
Whoever braved a December Saturday on the Santa Monica Freeway were treated with some fun college basketball.

Link (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/dec/04/grip-sports-though-football-king-basketball-has-pr/)

Bogozags
12-05-2016, 03:49 AM
And there weren't nearly that many that stuck around for BYU/USC.

Not sure why BYU/USC wasn't played first...that would have kept more in the stands for the second game...

One more thing, Saturday was Conference Championship Day and I believe many fans were at home in front of the tv sets watching football...just saying...