PDA

View Full Version : College Football Playoff & Bowl Thread

RenoZag
12-04-2016, 07:23 AM
The selection show airs at Noon ET this morning. We'll find out if the Huskies are in the Final Four, which teams are left out, and who gets the lesser bowl bids. One Power 5 conference champ is not going to be in the Final Four and I'm guessing it will be Penn State.

Looking forward to hearing from the CBB afficionados on this forum.

LINK TO LISTING OF BOWL GAME DATES, PARTICIPANTS (http://www.ncaa.com/sports/football/bowls)

mtzaga
12-04-2016, 08:04 AM
The selection show is 4 hours long.

LongIslandZagFan
12-04-2016, 08:17 AM
4 hours... for what exactly. Listen, I could really really care less about college football. Honestly, it is so meaningless to me. The whole system is so rigged that really only 4-5 teams get the best players... everyone else could go undefeated and it won't matter. Not to mention, If Nick Saban shows up... the kid is going to Bama... period. Almost as bad as women's hoops and UConn. No parity... and no chance for just about anyone else.

That being said, I have watched enough talking heads to say that I'd bet on these 4:

Alabama (who will destroy everyone)
Clemson
UW... because conference championships matter
Penn State... because conference championships matter... and they beat Ohio State.

RenoZag
12-04-2016, 09:48 AM
ESPN has revealed the matchups for the third annual College Football Playoff.

No. 1 Alabama will face No. 4 Washington, and No. 2 Clemson has No. 3 Ohio State. Both games will be played on December 31, with the final on January 9 in Tampa.

Penn State # 5
Michigan # 6

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18199933/alabama-crimson-tide-clemson-tigers-ohio-state-buckeyes-washington-huskies-selected-college-football-playoff

Alabama (13-0) completed its rampage through the regular season by crushing Florida 54-16 on Saturday in a game the Tide probably didn't even need to win to gain the top seed.

Clemson (12-1) won the ACC championship by beating Virginia Tech 42-35 in a game that was a lot more exciting than Tigers fans probably had hoped. Deshaun Watson added to his Heisman Trophy résumé, and Clemson needed every one of the five touchdowns he accounted for to hold off the Hokies.

Ohio State, who lost the Big Ten East tiebreaker to Penn State and was off this weekend, became the first team to reach the playoff in its three-year history without winning its conference.

seacatfan
12-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Penn State... because conference championships matter... and they beat Ohio State.

Or maybe conference championships don't matter that much after all.

A 4 team playoff is kind of a joke. It's hardly any better than when they picked 2 teams to play in a Championship Game. You can't expand exponentially to 16 or 32 or whatever, but to call something a "playoff" when so few teams get to participate. 8 seems like a better number.

Anyway really glad the Huskies made the cut. Playing Alabama is gonna be tough, but whatever happens this season has been great for reestablishing UW among the nations elite. It's been a long, long time.

LongIslandZagFan
12-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Funny... picking a team that LOST to a conference champ over that conference champ. The system is a joke.

RenoZag
12-05-2016, 09:26 AM
I would like to see six teams make the cut; give the # 1 and # 2 teams a bye the first round, where 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5, winners take on the # 1 and # 2 in a semi-final. . .

It wouldn't surprise me if they end up with an 8 team tournament within the next 5 years. So much money to be made. . .

sittingon50
12-05-2016, 09:52 AM
They can have a bigger bracket. The lower Divisions have been doing it forever.

Their excuse is it takes the kids out of class too much. Bogus! Div II, III, NAIA kids have just as rigorous class work (probably more, actually) & their system has worked.

LongIslandZagFan
12-05-2016, 11:28 AM
I would like to see six teams make the cut; give the # 1 and # 2 teams a bye the first round, where 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5, winners take on the # 1 and # 2 in a semi-final. . .

It wouldn't surprise me if they end up with an 8 team tournament within the next 5 years. So much money to be made. . .

All other NCAA divisions have 16 teams... it is about bowl money... pure and simple and keeping that bowl money out of the hands of any non-Power 5 conference.

TexasZagFan
12-05-2016, 11:43 AM
Funny... picking a team that LOST to a conference champ over that conference champ. The system is a joke.

But, but, but...TCU was told two years ago that the lack of a conference championship game is what knocked them out. Using that logic, shouldn't Penn State be in over THE Ohio State University?

TexasZagFan
12-05-2016, 11:44 AM

Wouldn't that harm the bowl system? Probably not, fans like to travel to bowl games in sunny climes.

LongIslandZagFan
12-05-2016, 11:54 AM
But, but, but...TCU was told two years ago that the lack of a conference championship game is what knocked them out. Using that logic, shouldn't Penn State be in over THE Ohio State University?

Ummm, yep. Especially when PSU beat THE Ohio State University. Guessing this is a sore spot in your family.

gu03alum
12-05-2016, 03:56 PM
The 4 best teams made it in my opinion. Penn State won a fluky game against Ohio State. Penn State also lost to Pitt and was destroyed by Michigan.

bartruff1
12-05-2016, 04:22 PM
The 4 best teams made it in my opinion. Penn State won a fluky game against Ohio State. Penn State also lost to Pitt and was destroyed by Michigan.

Yes, I think they got it right and it was not a easy thing to do.... I will be watching the Huskies...in the first Rose Bowl I attended, I saw UW
just beat the piss out of Wisconsin when Jim Owens was the coach and had a quarterback that had one good eye, Bob Schloredt .

Also caught a pretty good basketball game between Darrall Imhof and California the defending National Champions playing West Virginia and a skinny kid from Cabin Creek named Jerry West.

webspinnre
12-05-2016, 05:25 PM

This is my thought. It isn't just who you beat and how you beat them, but also who you lost to, and how you lost to them.

gonzagafan62
12-05-2016, 07:50 PM
I think penn state was robbed. Why are we turning a blind eye to what actually happened on the field. Why play the penn state Ohio state game when they'll make up rules to let Ohio state in the playoffs? Why have a championship game if they say one year you need it, and one year "oh well we will put in the team who couldn't win it's division" that time they said they needed it was TCU .... when who else but Ohio state got in.... such BS.

I don't care if it's fluky or not.... If Alabama luckily beats Washington on New Year's Eve on a last second blocked field goal are you still going to award Washington to the national title game? Hell no. It's who won.

Before I catch heat for Michigan destroying penn state let's look at one criteria: The committee doesn't care and has repeatedly said in interviews margin of victory is irrelevant. Completely irrelevant. And the loss to Pittsburgh was to a ranked team that did what? Oh yeah nevermind their win against Clemson.... nobody's calling either of those wins by Pittsburgh fluky are they? Nope.

We need to get to 8 teams have the conference championship games decide who goes to playoffs and if you don't win that game you can't complain if you weren't selected by a silly committee... 3 at larges would get in and I'd be fine with some media bias favoring an Ohio state team that couldn't win their own division.

gonzagafan62
12-05-2016, 07:55 PM
All other NCAA divisions have 16 teams... it is about bowl money... pure and simple and keeping that bowl money out of the hands of any non-Power 5 conference.

Bowl money? You know how much more money they would make with sold out crowds if they would go to 16 teams? Or how much networks would be willing to pay for this? Yeah let's stop fantasizing that bowl money is in effect here. (Nothing against you personally LIZF - seriously I think you're a good poster and this isn't directed at you) but this would blow up bigger than the deal for March Madness bar none.

It's about tradition here. Old people still think the rose bowl needs to be between pac12 and big ten leagues and so on with other bowls ... it's ridiculous. It's time to put these meaningless bowls to rest unless you're a team that didn't make playoffs then if you still want bowl games freaking do it, nobody will care still just like most don't anyway.

LongIslandZagFan
12-06-2016, 08:59 AM
Bowl money? You know how much more money they would make with sold out crowds if they would go to 16 teams? Or how much networks would be willing to pay for this? Yeah let's stop fantasizing that bowl money is in effect here. (Nothing against you personally LIZF - seriously I think you're a good poster and this isn't directed at you) but this would blow up bigger than the deal for March Madness bar none.

It's about tradition here. Old people still think the rose bowl needs to be between pac12 and big ten leagues and so on with other bowls ... it's ridiculous. It's time to put these meaningless bowls to rest unless you're a team that didn't make playoffs then if you still want bowl games freaking do it, nobody will care still just like most don't anyway.

They don't see it that way. The issue is that if it went that route... the NCAA gets the money... not the schools... the money would then get doled out to the schools. Bowl games mean millions of dollars that go directly to the teams. That is exactly why they won't have a large playoff system. JMHO, when you tell a team like TCU that conference championships matter and then a couple years later, snub a conference champ for a team that the conference chance beat... the system becomes a total joke. It is the Urban Meyer/Nick Saban show... everyone else doesn't matter... kind of like Geno in Women's hoops... nobody else really matters.

Honestly, the only college football game I care to watch is the Army-Navy game (Go Navy! Beat Army!0. The rest mean nothing to me... not even the NC game. Waste of photons on my TV to be honest.

TexasZagFan
12-06-2016, 09:38 AM
So is Urban going to eat his words?

No team that fails to win it's conference championship should be in a playoff.

I know, that was 10 years ago...

gonzagafan62
12-07-2016, 08:55 AM
They don't see it that way. The issue is that if it went that route... the NCAA gets the money... not the schools... the money would then get doled out to the schools. Bowl games mean millions of dollars that go directly to the teams. That is exactly why they won't have a large playoff system. JMHO, when you tell a team like TCU that conference championships matter and then a couple years later, snub a conference champ for a team that the conference chance beat... the system becomes a total joke. It is the Urban Meyer/Nick Saban show... everyone else doesn't matter... kind of like Geno in Women's hoops... nobody else really matters.

Honestly, the only college football game I care to watch is the Army-Navy game (Go Navy! Beat Army!0. The rest mean nothing to me... not even the NC game. Waste of photons on my TV to be honest.

Thanks for the insight on that. Had forgotten.

System is a total joke. Let's make up rules so Ohio state gets in every time. Great idea!!!