• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Post game radio GU-UA

GU winners 69-62 to move to 8-0. GU never trailed in the game. Lead up to 14 three times in the first half, but you are never going to blow a team like UA out. Most impressive GU took UA's leading scorers out of the game in the first half. The game didn't have to be as close as the final but it was and the Zags found a way to dig it out. Not a particularly good shooting game by either team. GU 44% and 33% from three, UA 38% and 12% from three on only one make. 8-0 only the second time in school history. Zags with 4 in double figures: Karnowski, Perkins, Matthews and NWG. UA with 4 in doubles as well: Markhanen, Ristic, Alkins, and Allen. Karnowski with 18 and Alkins with 16 the leaders. Zags 12 points in the first two and a half minutes, which tells you something about UA defense as the rest of the game they had but 57. The last couple games Matthews starts off really well and finishes tough including those two airballs today. It was late free throws that put Matthews in double figures, as he finished 2-7 from three. GU outrebounded 39-32.

Michaelson: A great start, Matthews hit those two big threes early and I was happy with how we moved the ball in the first half. But I was really disappointed in how we finished our fast breaks, especially in the second half. With how our guards are shooting I just don't think they can afford to double PK anymore. Our defensive rebounding is just horrendous right now. We gave up 16 offensive rebounds and that just can't happen. I thought J3 did a remarkable job on Markhanen. Those late missed free throws were bad but NWG hit a couple big shots to help us finish. I'm sure UW will be ready for us. This is a really, really, big 4 game stretch for us starting tonight. Only 11 points from the bench today and Collins was an uncharacteristic 1-4 from the line.

This game would have been a greater margin if the Zags finish off a couple of those fast breaks or hit a few more free throws-Santnagelo. GU 1-8 from three in the second half, and I think only 6 for the last 14 from the free throw line. It would have been a much different game had UA hit a few more of those free throws in the first half.
  • bballbeachbum
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2008

JWIII is one feisty tough player, missed FTs today and all

Comment

• zagbeliever
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by bballbeachbum View Post
      JWIII is one feisty tough player, missed FTs today and all

Comment

• Outraged
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Feb 2007

Thank you for taking the time to post this. I really appreciate the information the post game radio provides.

Comment

• SWZag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Thanks 116!

Was this Mathews' or Williams-Goss' first win against Arizona?

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• NumberCruncher
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by SWZag View Post
            Thanks 116!

Was this Mathews' or Williams-Goss' first win against Arizona?
            Jordan's Bears were 2-5 against Arizona. He was the MVP back on Jan. 23 of this year when he dropped 28 on them.

Nigel's Huskies were 0-2 against the 'Cats.

J3's Missouri squad dropped one game against them in Maui back in 2014.

Comment

• Therunner
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by NumberCruncher View Post
              Jordan's Bears were 2-5 against Arizona. He was the MVP back on Jan. 23 of this year when he dropped 28 on them.
              I can only imagine Mathews scoring 28pts on any team, let alone Arizona, but love that he did and has that ability.

6-24 3pt last 4 games. 25%.

Could be worse but needs to improve, especially all the plays run for him.

We run a ton of sets to get Mathews an open 3. He hits them on occasion but not nearly as well as Perks or nWG.

Comment

• GoZags
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Therunner View Post
                I can only imagine Mathews scoring 28pts on any team, let alone Arizona, but love that he did and has that ability.

6-24 3pt last 4 games. 25%.

Could be worse but needs to improve, especially all the plays run for him.

We run a ton of sets to get Mathews an open 3. He hits them on occasion but not nearly as well as Perks or nWG.
                I didn't give up on Johnathan Williams III after 2 games and I'm not giving up on Jordan Mathews after 8 games. And if your 6 of 24 from 3 is correct for the last 4 games, then he must have gone 11-22 from 3 for the first 4 games.

This team is a work in progress and will be a thing of beauty when they're truly hitting on all cylinders.
                sigpic
                “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                ——-
                List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• SWZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by NumberCruncher View Post

Nigel's Huskies were 0-2 against the 'Cats.

J3's Missouri squad dropped one game against them in Maui back in 2014.
                  Thanks Cruncher! Hadn't thought about J3 playing them.

I'm sure it felt good for Nigel, knowing that he maybe never would have beaten Arizona had he stayed at Washington.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                    I didn't give up on Johnathan Williams III after 2 games and I'm not giving up on Jordan Mathews after 8 games. And if your 6 of 24 from 3 is correct for the last 4 games, then he must have gone 11-22 from 3 for the first 4 games.

This team is a work in progress and will be a thing of beauty when they're truly hitting on all cylinders.
                    And I'm not giving up on Silas:

I'm not as troubled by Silas' 3 point woes as the rest of the board. He's had a lot of bad luck on shots that are back-rim misses, or those that are in-out misses. In looking at the stats through 8 games, he has six turnovers in 199 minutes, 17-32 from 2 point, and 12-14 from the line. Also he's 6th in defensive rebounds, so overall he's been productive on the court. Get a couple of those 3 point rim rockers to go down, and there's no conversation.

Comment

Working...
                    X