PDA

View Full Version : The Japanese Phenom

thespywhozaggedme
12-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Dickau compared Rui to Giannis and while that may be a bit hyperbolic, the sky's the limit for this kid. He may be the best pure athlete to don a Zags jersey. He would be starting for over 50% of the teams in this country it with us he's the ninth man on the team. Holy cow this team is deep.

Marcus
12-01-2016, 06:59 PM
I was completely blown away by his athleticism. He is going to be really, really good.

Worthington
12-01-2016, 07:02 PM
He played a lot more within himself tonight, Few has got to be really pleased with what he saw. I hope there's a chance for him to get actual meaningful minutes later in the season so his progression gets even more fast tracked.

ZagMan in Philly
12-01-2016, 07:04 PM
My new favorite player.
Let him loose coach.

GPGUgrad
12-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Impressive.

Wow!

GrizZAG
12-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Plays no fear ball when he wants to assert himself and forces his will when he does. Can't wait till he figures out the other parts of the game. NBA athlete for sure. Give me more RUI !!

U Zig, I Zag
12-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Rui should be good. A longterm player for Gu, he'll benefit from the system. Get an Elias feel. Maybe more explosive.

raise the zag
12-01-2016, 07:13 PM
these are the kind of games Rui can grow as a player and earn more PT.

Problem is, Gonzaga doesn't play a string of cupcakes early on like most teams do. He will get his run.

At whose expense though?

Also, probably won't be seeing much experimentation vs Zona. Speaking of, based on what I'm hearing, Arizona is underrated by this board, by media, by everyone. They beat a solid MSU squad, and start 4 5* players. 3 of their Freshman were ranked in the Top-20 this year. Their starting backcourt are both 6'5", plus two 7' guys, and a 6'9" & 6'11" elite athletes behind them. A versatile, senior guard, etc. When Trier returns, and PJC comes back, Zona is a Top-15 team rest of season.

OZZY
12-01-2016, 07:20 PM

Problem is, Gonzaga doesn't play a string of cupcakes early on like most teams do. He will get his run.

Just wait till WCC play.....

:)

I also noticed that Dustin Triano played at least 10 minutes, good to see him get a decent run, he may not have the athleticism, but he always seemed to be in the right spot.

zagfan94
12-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Those one-handed rebounds in traffic.. :drool: .

thespywhozaggedme
12-01-2016, 07:24 PM

At whose expense though?

Also, probably won't be seeing much experimentation vs Zona. Speaking of, based on what I'm hearing, Arizona is underrated by this board, by media, by everyone. They beat a solid MSU squad, and start 4 5* players. 3 of their Freshman were ranked in the Top-20 this year. Their starting backcourt are both 6'5", plus two 7' guys, and a 6'9" & 6'11" elite athletes behind them. A versatile, senior guard, etc. When Trier returns, and PJC comes back, Zona is a Top-15 team rest of season.

Our conference games are our "string of cupcakes". lol

JAGzag
12-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Rui should be good. A longterm player for Gu, he'll benefit from the system. Get an Elias feel. Maybe more explosive.
I noticed he did miss some bunnies.

thespywhozaggedme
12-01-2016, 07:27 PM

Not as many as JWIII does every game and Rui doesn't even know what he's doing yet

U Zig, I Zag
12-01-2016, 07:27 PM

That's being too quick on some of those. But he has a smoothness and athleticism that's intriguing.

RenoZag
12-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Rui did look good against a bunch of under-sized players in garbage time.

Hope he gets some run when it matters as the season progresses.

Goshzagit
12-01-2016, 07:51 PM

Hope he gets some run when it matters as the season progresses.

This puts his performance & stat line in context, yet even if he made those moves with no one on the court, I'd be impressed.

The kid can play.

hooter73
12-01-2016, 07:52 PM
in my opinion he should be playing in front of a guard or two that get end of blowout game minutes... he is the future.

RenoZag
12-01-2016, 07:52 PM
This puts his performance & stat line in context, yet even if he made those moves with no one on the court, I'd be impressed.

The kid can play.

I agree. He's got tons of potential.

Zagdawg
12-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Freak should be updated to "Phenom" --- "a person who is outstandingly talented or admired, especially an up-and-comer."

MontanaCoyote
12-01-2016, 08:13 PM
I agree. He's got tons of potential.

Yes, he does! Older posters like me might see an Elgin Baylor type player in Rui. Athletic, creative, big time scorer AND rebounder. Could even bring the ball up court on his own. And Rui is 3 inches taller than Baylor. He's got a ways to go but I see a lot of Elgin in this kid. Like you said, "tons of potential," and you've got to have a lot of it to be even mentioned in the same sentence with Baylor.

tinfoilzag
12-01-2016, 08:15 PM
And as a special bonus for WCC teams, get blown out early and you get to see Rui highlights!

ProVeeZag
12-01-2016, 08:39 PM
I especially loved when he blew by his defender from the top of the key, then switched from left to right hand to finish off the dunk! Very quick 1st step. This kid is silky smooth, can put the ball on the floor, nice vertical, and ...and...and. Whoa Nellie!

zagfan94
12-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Freak should be updated to "Phenom" --- "a person who is outstandingly talented or admired, especially an up-and-comer."

From a guy who is not at all politically correct, "phenom" just feels better, especially since he plays for us.

SpyWhoZaggedMe is probably referencing Giannis Antetokounmpo, the Buck's star, nickname The Greek Freak.

billyberu
12-01-2016, 09:00 PM
Few finally gets a 6'9" wing. Holy schmokes that kid can ball.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

JPtheBeasta
12-01-2016, 09:04 PM
It was funny to hear the complement by the announcers start with something to the effect of, "Rui doesn't know what he's doing..."

It made perfect sense.

This kid appears to have a very high ceiling (Good thing, because he'd be prone to hitting his head). He is so much fun to watch.

Baseline
12-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Does anyone know how well he is picking up the language? I spent some time in Japan on Business years ago and could start understanding things pretty well after a couple months.
I wonder how well he fits in, or if he is sort of seperate from the guys.

zagsfanforlife
12-01-2016, 10:04 PM
Dickau compared Rui to Giannis and while that may be a bit hyperbolic, the sky's the limit for this kid. He may be the best pure athlete to don a Zags jersey. He would be starting for over 50% of the teams in this country it with us he's the ninth man on the team. Holy cow this team is deep.

Sorry Dan I made this comparison on this board months ago.

Stache
12-01-2016, 10:30 PM
Imagine: Rui, Norvell, Collins, and Tillie on the court together. I am arthritic and middle aged, but I could be the fifth starter on that team and we'd still win. Super talent on the bench....

jazzdelmar
12-02-2016, 02:16 AM
Dan said he's the best of the freshmen. Enough said.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-02-2016, 03:01 AM
I was one here who thought he should redshirt. but now I see the wisdom in giving him opportunities in games like tonight to experience D-I hoops. Guy like Zach Norvell has played on big stages against elite athletes throughout his high school career at Simeon. Rui needs this year and any minutes he earns to get a feel for basketball outside of Japan. Yes, he got a glimpse in international tourneys but this season will speed his development much more than a redshirt season would have. Also good to let a kid so far from home in major transition to new language, culture, academics experience the thrill of playing in front of the crowd. Good for morale...his and ours!!

Coach Crazy
12-02-2016, 03:16 AM
Imagine: Rui, Norvell, Collins, and Tillie on the court together. I am arthritic and middle aged, but I could be the fifth starter on that team and we'd still win. Super talent on the bench....

You forgot to throw in Kispert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birddog
12-02-2016, 03:39 AM
Cue the pep band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RZJ4ESU52U

kitzbuel
12-02-2016, 04:10 AM

That defined his basketball career in Japan. He does need to get used to playing against players better than him.

bartruff1
12-02-2016, 05:32 AM
Yes, he does! Older posters like me might see an Elgin Baylor type player in Rui. Athletic, creative, big time scorer AND rebounder. Could even bring the ball up court on his own. And Rui is 3 inches taller than Baylor. He's got a ways to go but I see a lot of Elgin in this kid. Like you said, "tons of potential," and you've got to have a lot of it to be even mentioned in the same sentence with Baylor.

I have to agree, but I am glad you said it first.

Baylor was a once in a lifetime player for me. Rui has the same fluid movements on the court. First time I have seen that at Gonzaga.

TexasZagFan
12-02-2016, 05:54 AM

Is that you, Ammo? We'll be able to dust off this oldie but goodie:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXNc4gh8n18Ixough4gcIDTWAP8y6q-kdEG0ligm8J4lEjxPZx

After all these years, mine is still in excellent condition.

TravelinZag
12-02-2016, 05:57 AM
Rui "missed it by that much" -- short one rebound of a double-double. Think if he'd had 14 minutes!

TexasZagFan
12-02-2016, 06:00 AM
I was one here who thought he should redshirt. but now I see the wisdom in giving him opportunities in games like tonight to experience D-I hoops. Guy like Zach Norvell has played on big stages against elite athletes throughout his high school career at Simeon. Rui needs this year and any minutes he earns to get a feel for basketball outside of Japan. Yes, he got a glimpse in international tourneys but this season will speed his development much more than a redshirt season would have. Also good to let a kid so far from home in major transition to new language, culture, academics experience the thrill of playing in front of the crowd. Good for morale...his and ours!!

Let's face it, we're now attracting players who are just as likely to leave after 2-3 years than stay and graduate. None of our current recruiting class needs to redshirt for developmental reasons, only for medical reasons, IMHO.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Trianos, Alberts, and Rui enter the game so early last night. I can only surmise that Few took the opportunity to try different player combos on the court.

thespywhozaggedme
12-02-2016, 07:02 AM
SpyWhoZaggedMe is probably referencing Giannis Antetokounmpo, the Buck's star, nickname The Greek Freak.

Correct

billyberu
12-02-2016, 07:23 AM
That defined his basketball career in Japan. He does need to get used to playing against players better than him.
Undersized yes, but their players last night were at least athletic and Rui took that last guy off the dribble and blew past him like his feet were stuck in mud, switched hands as he was driving...

I need some more kool-aid.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

vandalzag
12-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Dan said he's the best of the freshmen. Enough said.

You do not agree with that assessment do you? Best potential maybe, but he is not at Collins level, or even Tillie's or else he would be playing.

bartruff1
12-02-2016, 07:25 AM
Neither did Baylor...he just got the ball at the top of the key and everyone else got the heck out of the way...

GoZags
12-02-2016, 07:30 AM
You do not agree with that assessment do you? Best potential maybe, but he is not at Collins level, or even Tillie's or else he would be playing.

Somehow I'm thinking the fact that both Collins and Tillie speak English may have something to do with why they are seeing the floor more than Rui. And while I LOVE both of our freshmen "twin tower's" games .... I haven't heard the word "Kobe-esque" associated with either one of them. I HAVE heard it with Rui (both before AND after he arrived at Gonzaga).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Kobe-esque

TexasZagFan
12-02-2016, 07:40 AM
Somehow I'm thinking the fact that both Collins and Tillie speak English may have something to do with why they are seeing the floor more than Rui. And while I LOVE both of our freshmen "twin tower's" games .... I haven't heard the word "Kobe-esque" associated with either one of them. I HAVE heard it with Rui (both before AND after he arrived at Gonzaga).

He impressed me with his court-sense when he stole that pass and took it coast to coast. I think he'll see more minutes as the season progresses. I don't care who you're playing, a near double-double in 13 minutes is nothing to scoff at. Sure, we beat MVSU handily, but they played hard for 40 minutes. They weren't there just to pick up a check.

Zag_Dad
12-02-2016, 07:52 AM
Correct

I know they are loaded at the front court but it seemed odd that Edwards didn't see any time at all last night. That must have been painful for him.

Rangerzag
12-02-2016, 08:04 AM
I know they are loaded at the front court but it seemed odd that Edwards didn't see any time at all last night. That must have been painful for him.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58198-GUnit-of-the-Game-MVSU-12-01-2016&p=1252069#post1252069

MontanaCoyote
12-02-2016, 08:09 AM
I have to agree, but I am glad you said it first.

Baylor was a once in a lifetime player for me. Rui has the same fluid movements on the court. First time I have seen that at Gonzaga.

Me as well. Played hard but made it look soooooooo.......easy. Fluid, that's the word!

Chicken Ball
12-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Does anyone know where to find a video of that last Rui dunk? Spectacular.

thespywhozaggedme
12-02-2016, 08:45 AM
Pretty sad when a post meant to praise and compliment one of our freshmen and compare him to one of the most exciting young players in the NBA is subjected to extreme political correctness, so much so that the title had to be altered for fear of offending someone. I don't understand. It's political correctness run amok and insulting to our Japanese friends thinking that they're too stupid to see the connection, despite the connection being stated several times throughout the thread. I can't imagine living my life walking on eggshells for fear of who I might offend, even when there wasn't a hint of offense anywhere. Sad times we're living in. BOO!!

thespywhozaggedme
12-02-2016, 08:52 AM
Sorry Dan I made this comparison on this board months ago.

Apparently saying Greek freak may offend our friends from Greece, so it's better to refer to him as Greek Phenom :rolleyes:. Oh and for the record, I'm the son of a Greek immigrant.

vandalzag
12-02-2016, 08:57 AM

I agree. What he showed last night was something else. I think the potential is certainly higher for him and once he may even work his way into the rotation somewhere down the line this season, if he can grasp the system. I would guess that he is giving the regulars fits during practice. The best thing about Rui is that he will only get better.

Zagceo
12-02-2016, 09:05 AM
"Man among boys" .......develop free throw shooting and could be the ultimate go to player in crunch time.

Zagdawg
12-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Very optimistic about his future. Once everything aligns he is going to be an outstanding player.

Go Zags

Goshzagit
12-02-2016, 09:35 AM
Was told Rui is the best mid range shooter on our team...and its not really close.

Watch the most recent Mark Few show.

Coach Few states Rui missed around 50% of practices, given his academic schedule.

And spoke about how far behind he is than Tillie/Larsen when it comes to to speaking or understanding English.

Just when he learns what an "elbow" is on a human arm in English, he then has to learn what an "elbow" means on the bball court, etc.

Few says he is happy with his progress and is an undeniable talent. Also, has a terrific upbeat, positive personality.

As good as he was last night, we werent actually running our offense at that point, & was in incorrect position/spacing on 5 straight plays.

But, when in doubt...dunk! Or slash, or shoot...cant hold those attributes back, in a strong 6'8" frame for long at this level, no matter if they know the plays or not.

Big time future as the language comprehension & speaking comes along...

TexasZagFan
12-02-2016, 09:40 AM
Was told Rui is the best mid range shooter on our team...and its not really close.

Coach Few states Rui missed around 50% of practices, given his academic schedule.

And spoke about how far behind he is than Tillie/Larsen when it comes to to speaking or understanding English.

Just when he learns what an "elbow" is on a human arm in English, he then has to learn what an "elbow" means on the bball court, etc.

Few says he is happy with his progress and is an undeniable talent. Also, has a terrific upbeat, positive personality.

As good as he was last night, we werent actually running our offense at that point, & was in incorrect position/spacing on 5 straight plays.

But, when in doubt...dunk! Or slash, or shoot...cant hold those attributes back, in a strong 6'8" frame for long at this level, no matter if they know the plays or not.

His experience at GU will pay big time benefits if/when he goes pro. Just consider the case of Yu Darvish of the Texas Rangers. He made a big splash upon his arrival in 2012. Five years later, he still can't do an interview without an interpreter. That undoubtedly has cost him lucrative endorsement opportunities.

sittingon50
12-02-2016, 10:10 AM

Ryan was not feeling well.

Few mentioned that the team has got some sickness running thru it. Perkins was about to "hurl" near the end of the 1st half & was trying to get off the floor.

Not sure if that's why he went for 15 in the 1st & 0 in the 2nd.

Zag_Dad
12-02-2016, 10:11 AM
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58198-GUnit-of-the-Game-MVSU-12-01-2016&p=1252069#post1252069

That makes more sense, thank you for pointing this out.

btzag
12-02-2016, 10:19 AM

I think he will easily need a year or so to get comfortable with being on the floor and running smoothly with the first team offense. Even in these garbage time minutes he seems unsure on where he should be. I can't even imagine how he would look right now with the rest of the starters. However when he gets it and is comfortable next year he will obviously be special.

dadair
12-02-2016, 10:34 AM
There's something about him -- his body type, the way he moves, whatever -- that reminds me of the young Cassius Clay. Remarkable athlete.

sittingon50
12-02-2016, 10:44 AM
There's something about him -- his body type, the way he moves, whatever -- that reminds me of the young Cassius Clay. Remarkable athlete.

As an old guy, I like that comparison.

dadair
12-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Takes one to know one, right? ;)

Coach Crazy
12-02-2016, 11:21 AM

It's his mannerisms and grace in form. And the fact that he is so long and athletic and coordinated in the length he has.

dadair
12-02-2016, 11:35 AM
" ... grace in form ..." What a nice way to put it. I was thinking of other comparisons last night and (here's another one that dates me), I thought of Willie Mays. Didn't have the length, but certainly the grace.

It's his mannerisms and grace in form. And the fact that he is so long and athletic and coordinated in the length he has.

Bogozags
12-02-2016, 02:36 PM

When I watched him make his moves to the basket, he reminded me of a guy named Connie Hawkins...freekishly athletic, long arms and can jump out of the gym...

As many have said, who he understands enough of Coach Few's offence so that he can get meaningful minutes in WCC play...

Many of you think he might be here three or four years but think if he learns English and BBall lingo, he might be gone after next season...just saying he is imo, the most athletically skilled player I have seen at GU...

MontanaCoyote
12-02-2016, 03:59 PM
When I watched him make his moves to the basket, he reminded me of a guy named Connie Hawkins...freekishly athletic, long arms and can jump out of the gym...

As many have said, who he understands enough of Coach Few's offence so that he can get meaningful minutes in WCC play...

Many of you think he might be here three or four years but think if he learns English and BBall lingo, he might be gone after next season...just saying he is imo, the most athletically skilled player I have seen at GU...

Citing Hawkins is accurate. Although much shorter, Oscar Robertson also moved and played real smooth. The amazing thing about Baylor is that at 6' 5" he not only averaged 27 PPG in his NBA career but also 14 RBS per game. Not too shabby!
I think Rui has that kind of "double-double" potential with the Zag's.

zag67
12-02-2016, 07:35 PM
As a "real old timer" I will add Burgess. He is much taller and more athletic, but the way he moves and handles the ball has many similarities. Both of them seemed to have very big hands and could control it like a baseball in most of our hands. But like what has been said he is one or two years away from understanding where he should be on the court. On both ends of the court. But that is fine. Use garbage time to get used to playing and then the coaches have film to team him. Love his game.

jagwalkley
12-02-2016, 08:20 PM

I went back and watched the end with him and you are right.He does look like Elgin out there.Wow,would that be a feather in old Few's cap or what??

jagwalkley
12-02-2016, 08:23 PM
After watching it over again, I think you are right.Would that be a feature in old Few's cap or what.That kid will be great.:explode:

maynard g krebs
12-02-2016, 10:09 PM
When Rui was a child, someone told him the moon was made of green cheese, so he jumped up there to see if it was true. Since he'd gone that far, he grabbed the moon and dunked it through Saturn's rings before returning to earth.

3XaZag
12-03-2016, 12:34 AM
When Rui was a child, someone told him the moon was made of green cheese, so he jumped up there to see if it was true. Since he'd gone that far, he grabbed the moon and dunked it through Saturn's rings before returning to earth.

Uh-oh...here come the Rui Norris lines...

Rui doesn't make steals, the ball just naturally prefers to be in his hand. (apologies in advance)....

MontanaCoyote
12-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Hey, ain't Ruminating on Rui fun!?

ProVeeZag
12-03-2016, 11:45 AM

I'd recommend an Aleve 3 hours before and 9 hours after gametime. Have plenty of ice in the freezer at home. Have both ankles taped pre-game. Should a rebound fall your way, call timeout immediately. Keep the post-game interviews short and to the point. You'll be fine!

DixieZag
12-03-2016, 01:05 PM
I had another commitment and missed the game. I wish I could have seen what is bringing out the statements here. He's shown flashes before, but evidently it really shone in the MS Valley game.

IIRC the situation is a tiny bit like Ronny. Ronny came in with tremendous athleticism, drive and heart. He just need his skill set coached-up and off he went, except he stayed, b/c he's Ronny and there will only ever be one Ronny. It sounds like Rui is similar in that he has the package, just needs a few things coached up and off he'll go - a star. Good for him and good for us.