PDA

View Full Version : Washington and Romar In Trouble

HalfZagHalfHusky
12-01-2016, 10:12 AM
As you can see, I'm a Husky fan (A Zag fan too), and things are getting pretty ugly for Romar and company. UW has now dropped three games in their weak non-conference schedule, twice to TCU and Yale. They recently lost by double digits to TCU in back to back games. The team looks horrible, and most fans want Romar gone. It's hard to describe just how bad the team is. They literally turn it over every other play, and can't play any defense. They are lucky if they can keep a team under 80 points.

A lot of Husky fans, including myself are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Do we hope Romar gets fired, but lose out on our top 3 recruiting class next year which includes Michael Porter Jr? Or do we keep Romar for so we can see the recruits and Michael Porter Jr come to Washington?

If Romar does go, should be plenty of opportunities for the Zags to pick up recruits.

LongIslandZagFan
12-01-2016, 01:26 PM
I've heard that for a long long time. If he didn't get fired when he took an extremely talent ladened team to the CIT instead of the NCAAs... he cannot be fired. He has information on state officials or something. He doesn't develop players and cannot coach to save his own life. I'll believe it when I see it.

HalfZagHalfHusky
12-01-2016, 03:39 PM
I've heard that for a long long time. If he didn't get fired when he took an extremely talent ladened team to the CIT instead of the NCAAs... he cannot be fired. He has information on state officials or something. He doesn't develop players and cannot coach to save his own life. I'll believe it when I see it.

He just isn't a good coach. But he is one of the best recruiters in the nation. His only hope for sending a team to the tourney is to have a team with at least two NBA players on it, and even that isn't a given.

Things are getting ugly in Romarville. If he's canned, Dajeon Davis to Gonzaga could become a possibility.

bartruff1
12-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Losing to Dixon at TCU is no big deal...after all, he is one of Bart's 25 best cbb coaches...... I am a Husky and right now, the Huskies are focused on football and for good reasons...

seacatfan
12-02-2016, 01:58 PM
He doesn't develop players

I agree he's underachieved with the talent he's had recently (using recently a little liberally, 5+ years at least). But to say he doesn't develop players, how would you explain guys like Bobby Jones and Justin Holiday finding their way to the NBA? Maybe 3 star guys coming out of HS if they were lucky. Will Conroy is another. Journeymen types or short stints in the League, but they got there. Or how about Nate Robinson and Isaiah Thomas? I think pretty much nobody had them projected as future NBA guys, let alone better than average players. Thomas has been tearing it up in the League. If Romar doesn't develop players at all, then they've hit the lottery over and over again getting guys that were way underrated by the recruiting services. I think Brandon Roy improved quite a bit during his career there too. So did Jon Brockman.

Something has gone wrong on Montlake, but your assertion he doesn't develop players is completely false.

bartruff1
12-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Brandon Roy...he was ok//

sittingon50
12-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Brandon Roy...he was ok//

Yeh, he had his moments.

CDC84
12-08-2016, 03:35 PM
What a lot of folks don't realize about Brandon Roy was how close Gonzaga came to getting him. Brandon really, really liked the Zags.

Think of what the 2004/2005 team could've been (assuming Roy was healthy):

PG - Derek Raivio
SG- Brandon Roy
SF - Adam Morrison
PF - Ronny Turiaf
C - JP Batista

That would've been an amazing team.