PDA

View Full Version : One Thing About The Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils

CDC84
12-01-2016, 08:04 AM
They're probably this year's winner of the craziest schedule of the year:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/2400/mississippi-valley-state-delta-devils

13 of their first 14 games are on the road. What's interesting is that their last opponent was Indiana....MVSU was the first opponent the Hoosiers faced after the embarrassing Fort Wayne loss. The Hoosiers took their anger out on the Delta Devils. And then they took their anger out on #3 UNC last night.

Their schedule really shows how difficult it is to develop as a team when you're on the road that much. It's one thing to collect big pay checks at Indiana and Gonzaga, but it's another to play road games at Liberty and UMass Lowell. These games keep your team from getting adequate practice time and rest in order to improve so that they can beat teams like UMass Lowell.

RenoZag
12-01-2016, 08:35 AM
Isn't this the way the MVSU basketball program funds itself year after year ?

seacatfan
12-01-2016, 08:50 AM
Texas Southern schedules similarly. Maybe everybody in the SWAC does that. At least Texas Southern is keeping their head above water, 4-3 at this point. Check out the meat grinder Long Beach St. has gone thru so far. Only one win to date. They aren't doing themselves any favors, way overscheduling. I wonder how much longer Monson is gonna last there?

CDC84
12-01-2016, 09:54 AM
The SWAC teams take different turns when it comes to winning the craziest schedule of the year award. I think one season Arkansas-Pine Bluff started off with 16 straight road games, and the games were all vs. high majors and elite mid majors. No UMass Lowell type teams. Coach travel with your knees against your shoulders and lots of long bus rides. I feel for the kids, even though they knew what they signed up for when they committed.

Zagceo
12-01-2016, 09:58 AM
Texas Southern schedules similarly. Maybe everybody in the SWAC does that. At least Texas Southern is keeping their head above water, 4-3 at this point. Check out the meat grinder Long Beach St. has gone thru so far. Only one win to date. They aren't doing themselves any favors, way overscheduling. I wonder how much longer Monson is gonna last there?

LBS has been doing this type schedule every year .......part of Monsons pay is tied to it.

CDC84
12-01-2016, 10:04 AM
Monson usually schedules more home games than he did this year. LBSU played home games against BYU, San Diego State and New Mexico State last year. They have a lot more bread than MVSU. Nonetheless, his non-league schedule is still one of the toughest in the nation every year. But I think a lot of Dan's scheduling has more to do with philosophy.

TexasZagFan
12-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Monson usually schedules more home games than he did this year. LBSU played home games against BYU, San Diego State and New Mexico State last year. They have a lot more bread than MVSU. Nonetheless, his non-league schedule is still one of the toughest in the nation every year. But I think a lot of Dan's scheduling has more to do with philosophy.

NMSU, like UTEP are tough places to attract quality road teams. Both arenas hold > 12,000, and the fan bases make those venues tough for opponents.

Would love to see the Zags do a home and home with either/both teams, though I don't think they would help our RPI much. Logistically, it would make sense, as the two schools are less than an hour's drive apart.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-01-2016, 02:50 PM
I feel bad for these kids for having to try to earn an education this way. Players from schools that schedule this way tend to have very poor graduation rates in addition to all of the other challenges these kids face.

Section 116
12-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Texas Southern opens with 16 consecutive road games: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/2640/texas-southern-tigers. I recall a couple years ago TSU upset Michigan St in East Lansing when they were in the midst of another brutal road schedule.

MontanaCoyote
12-01-2016, 04:07 PM
One More Thing, SOT; JERRY RICE!

DixieZag
12-01-2016, 07:23 PM
At the risk of even hinting at politics, all those SWAC schools are HSBC's and historically woefully underfunded.

It is true that the pay to play road schedule pays for their program, but there've been many years when Southern Miss, or even Ole Miss/Miss State have been so dreadful that they were drawing next to nothing and yet the athletic department had enough money that they didn't need to play all road games to pay for their own program. It's only the HSBC's that play every game on the road.

Tough not to take your hat off to them for playing hard. They aren't going to the NBA, not playing in front of family/friends, just doing it for their coaches and each other, competing. As I recall, it was just two years ago that Texas State (or Southern?) lost to us by 30 and promptly went on to beat Michigan State at Sparty.

U Zig, I Zag
12-01-2016, 07:34 PM
At the risk of even hinting at politics, all those SWAC schools are HSBC's and historically woefully underfunded.

It is true that the pay to play road schedule pays for their program, but there've been many years when Southern Miss, or even Ole Miss/Miss State have been so dreadful that they were drawing next to nothing and yet the athletic department had enough money that they didn't need to play all road games to pay for their own program. It's only the HSBC's that play every game on the road.

Tough not to take your hat off to them for playing hard. They aren't going to the NBA, not playing in front of family/friends, just doing it for their coaches and each other, competing. As I recall, it was just two years ago that Texas State (or Southern?) lost to us by 30 and promptly went on to beat Michigan State at Sparty.

+1

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-02-2016, 02:01 AM

I give a lot of credit to those Delta Devil coaches and players for their effort and poise. Those kids never moped and never quit. The coaches never stopped teaching. They took full advantage of the opportunity to work on their offensive and defensive sets against a high level opponent. They never stopped communicating with each other. Their press was really well-executed - something that requires a lot of practice, effort, and communication. They play with pride.

I wish them luck in conference play.

zag67
12-02-2016, 06:20 AM
Good comments Dixie. I also thought they played hard, did not give up and the coaches and players worked hard. Good luck to them as their season in league is about to begin.

kitzbuel
12-02-2016, 08:48 AM

A lot of them do have successful FCS football programs.

maynard g krebs
12-02-2016, 10:42 AM
They played with heart and pride and effort. Gotta commend that.