PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods' Return

RenoZag
11-30-2016, 09:29 AM
Mr. Woods returns this week to competitive golf after a long hiatus due to injuries, ailments, and other stuff.

The limited field (18 players) of the Hero World Challenge won't be a true test of Woods' mettle. I'm going to follow the coverage out of curiosity yet I don't have a feeling one way or another about his results.

What would constitute a successful return ? I've heard everything from "just playing 72 holes without injury" to "shooting par or better."

I think if he was just happy to be playing he would have played the Napa tournament. He must feel his game is competitive again.

mtzaga
12-02-2016, 10:14 AM
He's back. He shot a bogey-free 65.

bartruff1
12-02-2016, 10:31 AM
I go back to Ben Hogan and the one thing I noticed about great players past their prime was their ability to shoot a very good score in one or even two rounds.... but they could never do it for 4 rounds.....except for that Masters win for Fat Jack.....

I hope he is back, but I doubt it....in any case, if one of those yachts in the harbor is his....he could concentrate on the " other stuff " as Reno so diplomatically said.

RenoZag
12-02-2016, 12:21 PM
He's back. He shot a bogey-free 65.

He played solo in slightly less than 3 hours. If he can shoot 65 in a group over a four and a half or five hour grind, I would agree. Any golfer who has had the opportunity to be the first off on a course, with no one in front of you, no waiting on every shot, and so forth. . .usually those kinds of conditions produce good results.

Tomorrow he'll be paired with Rickie Fowler. Spieth and Snedeker will be in the twosome ahead, Stenson and Koepka in the twosome behind. Might be pretty good TV

I hope the guy is healthy and has his head screwed on straight. When I watched the entirety of his interview with Charlie Rose last month, I came away thinking his competitive fire was strong as ever but his hubris had waned a bit. Maybe he fooled me ?

Professional golf will be more intriguing to watch in the month's ahead if Mr. Woods is occasionally in the running to win on Sunday. If he actually wins (especially a major) it would be a remarkable athletic comeback.

LongIslandZagFan
12-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Honestly, I really hope he is back. From the post round interview from yesterday where the back 10 holes seemed to have the round derail, I found him to be humble and honest with himself. He even joked about how he got hungry toward the end of the round. Also, the bit of a chuckle when he dropped one in the water seemed to show he wasn't expecting to hit the ground running. Should be interesting to see where he is when he gets to Augusta.

mtzaga
12-03-2016, 01:10 PM
TW shot a 70, -2. He was -5 in the round but he shot a 38 on the back with a double on 18. A work in progress but things look encouraging.

Matsuyama shot a 65 and leads by 7.

KStyles
12-03-2016, 04:15 PM
This is a good start. Friday back half was rough, 18 today as well. If it wasn't Tiger, it'd be chalked up to a round of golf.

He may not be transcendent anymore, but playing golf like a pro is pretty good. Sundays will be a lot better with Tiger playing.

mtzaga
01-25-2017, 04:00 PM
Tiger Woods returns to real golf tomorrow at the Farmers Insurance Open. He tees off at 10:30 PST on Torrey Pines South. It's only 7700 yards. It looks like they will be playing "lift, clean, and place" so he will have to drive it in the fairway. I hope he plays well.

bartruff1
01-25-2017, 04:31 PM
I least he has some decent clubs...

RenoZag
01-25-2017, 05:02 PM
I least he has some decent clubs...

He's still playing his Nike blades this week. He's going to work with TaylorMade R & D to get irons he's happy with, per the Golf Channel this morning, and this report from ESPN's Bob Harig:

Tiger Woods has Nike irons in his bag today and it appears they will be there for awhile. Woods said during the pro-am at Torrey Pines that the testing process is "daunting" and that it will take a good bit of time to make the transition to TaylorMade, which he now represents.

Guess we'll find out this weekend if he successfully got rid of the rust on his game, bart.

bartruff1
01-25-2017, 05:14 PM
Phil M. said years ago that only Tiger was talented enough to play with those Nike clubs...

RenoZag
01-25-2017, 05:17 PM
Phil M. said years ago that only Tiger was talented enough to play with those Nike clubs...

:roll:

I'm a Ping guy (irons, fairway woods) and use a Callaway driver. Hoping 2017 sees me getting to play more golf than the recent past. I'm a middle handicapper but I find more fun in the game than I used to.

bartruff1
01-25-2017, 05:28 PM
Me to....

mtzaga
01-26-2017, 08:42 AM
I have G10 irons and a 3 hybrid. The irons hit the ball too high at times. I plan to pick up a G driver later this spring. My bro in law has a G SF and picked up 20 yards and got rid of his banana ball. You can't go wrong with Ping, IMO.

mtzaga
01-27-2017, 03:51 PM
Tiger shot 76-72 for a MC. Day and DJ also missed the cut. Tiger is on his way to Dubai.

mtzaga
02-10-2017, 08:04 AM
TW WD from next two tournaments. LA Open and Honda. Back spasms must be bad, especially when you can't hit it in the fairway.

former1dog
02-10-2017, 08:37 AM
One would think that Tiger would seriously be considering retirement at this point.

What ever happens on that front, I think we've seen the last of the Tiger we all remember from the glory days.

RenoZag
02-24-2018, 08:25 AM
Woods begins the third round at the Honda Classic 4 shots back. He thinks his game is close to what it should be. David Duval thinks he's 80 -85%. . .It has been a long time since Tiger was relevant on the weekend of a full field tournament. Woods hasn't broken 70 yet in 2018. If he's going to make a run, he needs to move up in the standings today.

RenoZag
02-24-2018, 03:54 PM
Woods shot his first score in the 60s this year, and he hit his highest number of fairways (nine) and greens (14) of any of his nine rounds and finished the third round of the Honda Classic in a tie for 11th.

"I really hit it good,'' Woods said. "I really had nice control of it today. If I could have just made a few more putts on the front nine, could have got the round started. I got the round started with a par putt on 12. Overall I feel very pleased to shoot something in the red and give myself a chance going into tomorrow, see what happens.''

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/22568676/tiger-woods-back-seven-strokes-honda-classic

former1dog
02-25-2018, 03:49 PM
One would think that Tiger would seriously be considering retirement at this point.

What ever happens on that front, I think we've seen the last of the Tiger we all remember from the glory days.

Will I be eating my words. He's looked pretty solid in his most recent comeback. A top 15 finish today? Pretty damn good. Still a far cry from his glory days.

CDC84
02-27-2018, 11:42 PM
I am just worried that Tiger is the kind of guy who "can't" get away from the game. It's all he's known about since he was a little kid. That he doesn't know what to do with himself besides golf.

Like the constant jokes you hear on ESPN about Brett Favre coming back. Although I know he had a successful period with the Vikings, for me as a sports fan he tarnished his legacy by coming back into football and playing for a league rival. He just couldn't put the game aside.

It's kind of sad, but it's what happens when these kids are brought up so one-sided. Other pro athletes have a real plan for what they want to do post-retirement, even if it involves giving back to the sport.

former1dog
02-28-2018, 12:35 PM
I am just worried that Tiger is the kind of guy who "can't" get away from the game. It's all he's known about since he was a little kid. That he doesn't know what to do with himself besides golf.

Like the constant jokes you hear on ESPN about Brett Favre coming back. Although I know he had a successful period with the Vikings, for me as a sports fan he tarnished his legacy by coming back into football and playing for a league rival. He just couldn't put the game aside.

It's kind of sad, but it's what happens when these kids are brought up so one-sided. Other pro athletes have a real plan for what they want to do post-retirement, even if it involves giving back to the sport.

With the Champions league, professional golfers really don't have to retire. The can keep on playing.

mtzaga
03-09-2018, 08:25 AM
Tiger is -4 thru 15 holes at the Valspar Championship. He’s -5 overall and leading the tournament. A win will be huge. It looks like Phil inspired him.

jbslicer
03-09-2018, 12:59 PM
Tiger is -4 thru 15 holes at the Valspar Championship. Hes -5 overall and leading the tournament. A win will be huge. It looks like Phil inspired him.

MTGA!

23dpg
03-09-2018, 01:48 PM
MTGA!

I don’t expect him to win. I’d love to be wrong.

RenoZag
03-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Tiger -8 ( -3 for today's round) after 10 holes, tied for the lead in the Valspar Tournament. . .coverage on NBC.

Have to wonder if seeing Lefty win last week stoked Eldrick's competitive fire. . .

former1dog
03-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Tiger -8 ( -3 for today's round) after 10 holes, tied for the lead in the Valspar Tournament. . .coverage on NBC.

Have to wonder if seeing Lefty win last week stoked Eldrick's competitive fire. . .

How will the new swing hold up under Sunday pressure?

RenoZag
03-11-2018, 08:57 AM

We'll find out today. He's in the penultimate pairing this afternoon, playing with his buddy Grant Snedeker, who was along for the ride yesterday when Woods shot a solid 4 under par 67 that could have been even lower ( he burned the edge of the cup with at least three birdie putts while I watched the broadcast ). He's only one shot out of the lead.

There are some really good sticks within 4 shots ( Rose, Reed, Palmer ) who might write their own story. . .

After the SEC game ( Kentucky - Tennessee ) I 'll will be switching to NBC's golf coverage. Could be exciting viewing if Tiger is still in contention when the back 9 starts around 12:45 PST.

mtzaga
03-11-2018, 01:59 PM
TW shot a 70 and finished 1 stroke behind Paul Casey who shot a 65. TW hit it well but missed some makeable putts. He rolled in a 44 footer for a bird on 17 but he parred 18. Quite a performance after a spinal fusion. TW is back. The Masters is only 3 weeks away.

RenoZag
03-11-2018, 02:06 PM
The green jackets are licking their chops. . .

RenoZag
03-13-2018, 11:00 AM
From ESPN:

Third-round coverage on Saturday of the event by NBC delivered a 3.26 overnight rating, the highest third round on any broadcast network since the 2006 WGC-Bridgestone Invitational. The final round had a 5.1 overnight rating on NBC, the highest non-major PGA Tour broadcast since the 2013 Players Championship.

And those who didn't watch on TV got their fix elsewhere. On Saturday, nearly 5.5 million minutes were streamed on Golf Channel and NBC Sports digital networks, up more than 600 percent compared to the Saturday of the same event last year. The Valspar saw 27.2 million minutes streamed across Golf Channel / NBC Sports' digital platforms, which made it the most-streamed PGA Tour event ever for the network, according to Adobe Analytics.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/22734879/interest-golf-leaps-tiger-woods-contention

mtzaga
03-15-2018, 11:52 AM
Tiger shot a -4 68 in the first round at the Arnold Palmer Invitational. He had 6 birdies and 1 double bogey after hitting his drive OB. He is 1 shot back.

RenoZag
03-18-2018, 12:18 PM
Woods three shots behind with 7 holes to play. . .

mtzaga
03-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Tiger bogeyed 16 and 17 to shoot a 69.

Rory shot a -8 64 to win. Let the talk of the career grand slam begin.

GoZags
08-13-2018, 04:40 PM

ROOOAAAAARRRR !!!!!

And imagine how it'll be once he figures out the Driver ...

mtzaga
09-23-2018, 02:05 PM
Tiger wins the Tour Championship, his 80th win. Justin Rose wins the FedEx Cup.

bartruff1
09-23-2018, 05:15 PM
Athletically there are very few things a 40 year old can do as well as a twenty something and golf and especially putting is not one of them..... I remember when Jack won his last major and that was pretty much the end.....

I doubt Tiger will have another tourney that he putts like that..... I don't think he made a 3 putt nor did he have a lip out...…. and he barely brought it home....but...... he did.... and good for him but I am skeptical he will win again... those kids are good and there are a lot of them that you have to beat in a full field.

RenoZag
09-23-2018, 05:45 PM
Vijay Singh won 22 times after he turned 40. . .Kenny Perry won 10 times after he was 40. . .Woods is 42. I think he's got a great chance to pass Sam Snead's PGA record of 82 wins. . .catching Nicklaus' record of 18 professional majors seems unlikely.

bartruff1
09-23-2018, 06:42 PM
A different time.....Tiger is a very inconsistent driver, either with a Nike or a Escalade.....

I think there were about a half dozen players over 40 who won a tourney this year and I don't believe any of them won more than one.

I doubt any of them will win next year.....maybe Woods....Phil is nearing 50...

webspinnre
09-23-2018, 08:20 PM
Tiger's had 7 top-10s this year as well. Clearly he isn't what he once was, but there's still something left in the tank.

bartruff1
09-24-2018, 01:00 AM
The crowd was amazing in their support and I imagine the ratings were also exceptional....I know I watched the whole last round and that is the first time I have done that in years.... opinions vary.... but I think he is the GOAT...

Zagceo
09-24-2018, 07:06 AM
4 back surgeries and walking 72 holes is amazing let alone swinging a club.

IMO when athletes build bodies lifting weights they put so much stress on infrastructure things can break.

the speed and torque of golf swing is violent and add muscle recipe for trouble IMO.

good to see Tiger back....really good for the game of golf

CDC84
09-24-2018, 12:36 PM
I was getting worried for awhile that Tiger might get trampled on. He had no more than a couple of organizers holding people back. Finally they got some police officers in there.

As great as Tiger's achievement was, this story, which ESPN aired this weekend about a teenage female golfer from Nepal who lives in a tool shed with her elderly parents was unreal:

http://www.espn.com/espnw/feature/23039585/pratima-sherpa-dreams-becoming-first-woman-professional-golfer-nepal

jbslicer
09-24-2018, 04:09 PM
Tiger wins the Tour Championship, his 80th win. Justin Rose wins the FedEx Cup.

........one for the ages.