• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Tiger Woods' Return

Mr. Woods returns this week to competitive golf after a long hiatus due to injuries, ailments, and other stuff.

The limited field (18 players) of the Hero World Challenge won't be a true test of Woods' mettle. I'm going to follow the coverage out of curiosity yet I don't have a feeling one way or another about his results.

What would constitute a successful return ? I've heard everything from "just playing 72 holes without injury" to "shooting par or better."

I think if he was just happy to be playing he would have played the Napa tournament. He must feel his game is competitive again.
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas
  • mtzaga
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

He's back. He shot a bogey-free 65.

Comment

• bartruff1
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2010

I go back to Ben Hogan and the one thing I noticed about great players past their prime was their ability to shoot a very good score in one or even two rounds.... but they could never do it for 4 rounds.....except for that Masters win for Fat Jack.....

I hope he is back, but I doubt it....in any case, if one of those yachts in the harbor is his....he could concentrate on the " other stuff " as Reno so diplomatically said.

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mtzaga View Post
        He's back. He shot a bogey-free 65.
        He played solo in slightly less than 3 hours. If he can shoot 65 in a group over a four and a half or five hour grind, I would agree. Any golfer who has had the opportunity to be the first off on a course, with no one in front of you, no waiting on every shot, and so forth. . .usually those kinds of conditions produce good results.

Tomorrow he'll be paired with Rickie Fowler. Spieth and Snedeker will be in the twosome ahead, Stenson and Koepka in the twosome behind. Might be pretty good TV

I hope the guy is healthy and has his head screwed on straight. When I watched the entirety of his interview with Charlie Rose last month, I came away thinking his competitive fire was strong as ever but his hubris had waned a bit. Maybe he fooled me ?

Professional golf will be more intriguing to watch in the month's ahead if Mr. Woods is occasionally in the running to win on Sunday. If he actually wins (especially a major) it would be a remarkable athletic comeback.

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

Honestly, I really hope he is back. From the post round interview from yesterday where the back 10 holes seemed to have the round derail, I found him to be humble and honest with himself. He even joked about how he got hungry toward the end of the round. Also, the bit of a chuckle when he dropped one in the water seemed to show he wasn't expecting to hit the ground running. Should be interesting to see where he is when he gets to Augusta.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• mtzaga
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

TW shot a 70, -2. He was -5 in the round but he shot a 38 on the back with a double on 18. A work in progress but things look encouraging.

Matsuyama shot a 65 and leads by 7.

Comment

• KStyles
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

This is a good start. Friday back half was rough, 18 today as well. If it wasn't Tiger, it'd be chalked up to a round of golf.

He may not be transcendent anymore, but playing golf like a pro is pretty good. Sundays will be a lot better with Tiger playing.

Comment

• mtzaga
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Tiger Woods returns to real golf tomorrow at the Farmers Insurance Open. He tees off at 10:30 PST on Torrey Pines South. It's only 7700 yards. It looks like they will be playing "lift, clean, and place" so he will have to drive it in the fairway. I hope he plays well.

Comment

• bartruff1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

I least he has some decent clubs...

Comment

• RenoZag
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                    I least he has some decent clubs...
                    He's still playing his Nike blades this week. He's going to work with TaylorMade R & D to get irons he's happy with, per the Golf Channel this morning, and this report from ESPN's Bob Harig:

Tiger Woods has Nike irons in his bag today and it appears they will be there for awhile. Woods said during the pro-am at Torrey Pines that the testing process is "daunting" and that it will take a good bit of time to make the transition to TaylorMade, which he now represents.
                    Guess we'll find out this weekend if he successfully got rid of the rust on his game, bart.

Comment

• bartruff1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2010

Phil M. said years ago that only Tiger was talented enough to play with those Nike clubs...

Comment

• RenoZag
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                        Phil M. said years ago that only Tiger was talented enough to play with those Nike clubs...

I'm a Ping guy (irons, fairway woods) and use a Callaway driver. Hoping 2017 sees me getting to play more golf than the recent past. I'm a middle handicapper but I find more fun in the game than I used to.

Comment

• bartruff1
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2010

Me to....

Comment

• mtzaga
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

I have G10 irons and a 3 hybrid. The irons hit the ball too high at times. I plan to pick up a G driver later this spring. My bro in law has a G SF and picked up 20 yards and got rid of his banana ball. You can't go wrong with Ping, IMO.

Comment

• mtzaga
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Tiger shot 76-72 for a MC. Day and DJ also missed the cut. Tiger is on his way to Dubai.

Comment

Working...
                              X