PDA

View Full Version : Other Games Tonight 11/30/16 = UNC at IU, SMC at Stanford, etc.

CDC84
11-30-2016, 07:50 AM
Some really good matchups tonight. Tip times are PT:

4:15pm = (15) Purdue at (14) Louisville, ESPN
6:00pm = Texas Southern at (16) Arizona, Pac 12
6:00pm = Utah St. at BYU, BYU-TV
6:15pm = (3) North Carolina at (13) Indiana (the game environment for this should be absolutely nuts. Assembly Hall might be the loudest building in the nation when a top 5 team comes in). ESPN
6:15pm = Ohio St at (6) Virginia, ESPN2
7:00pm = USC at San Diego (yes, at the Slim Gym. Is this a hometown game for a Trojan player?)
7:00pm = UC-Irvine at Santa Clara
7:00pm = Alcorn St. at San Francisco
7:00pm = Utah Valley State at Washington St.
8:00pm = (12) St. Mary's at Stanford, Pac 12 (for Bay Area residents)

DixieZag
11-30-2016, 07:59 AM
Will be interesting to see if Utah Valley can continue its road winning streak against bigger schools (not that WSU is playing like a bigger school), UVS is my 2nd favorite team right now.

SMC should demolish Stanford, if not, perhaps that casts a shadow over that whole "very few losses" thing. With their schedule, they can't afford to drop a game at Stanford. Just checked out their schedule, Nevada, Dayton, Stanford are the only games that aren't embarrassing. Must win game for them.

No point in building a bigger place if that's the way they're going to schedule.

Trouble brewing [over] if USF can't beat Alcorn State

Santa Clara seems to play hard.

Thanks CDC, nice of you.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-30-2016, 09:01 AM
Rooting for the Gaels 'cause it would be great to see WCC have two top 10 teams at some point this season....and NevadaDon seems like a good guy.

Hope Utah State beats BYU...that would be a bad result for WCC but I don't care. I don't like BYU....dirty players, arrogant fans.

gonzagafan62
11-30-2016, 09:32 AM
Always root for WCC.

sittingon50
11-30-2016, 10:14 AM
My problem with WSU is they count the band, the concession worker's & the usher's (& rumor has it the parking lot attendant's) so they can push 2K in attendance. Hardly seems ethical.

Nevada Don
11-30-2016, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=DixieZag;1251519]

SMC should demolish Stanford, if not, perhaps that casts a shadow over that whole "very few losses" thing. With their schedule, they can't afford to drop a game at Stanford. Just checked out their schedule, Nevada, Dayton, Stanford are the only games that aren't embarrassing. Must win game for them.

"No point in building a bigger place if that's the way they're going to schedule."

SMC is only favored by 2 1/2. Guess that translates to "should demolish them".
UAB, played on a neutral court, I believe is the FAV to win Conference USA.
UT-Arlington just beat Texas yesterday, for the 1st time ever.
UC Irvine is no slouch program, unless you dislike "anteaters" in general.
Some revel in GU being#1 in the RPI but dismiss SMC at #11. I guess they use different parameters to determine rankings for the two schools ?
The SMC GYM seats 3,500 currently and will "grow by only 400-500." Don't think they are too worried by low attendance "with their disgustingly poor scheduling."
Does anyone remember that (I think) McCarthy was only 6,000 seats. Is that the difference in being called a "gym", 2,000 less capacity, from 6,000 to 4,000 seats.

Fyi, Stanford plays #4 Kansas in a few days, not sure if that translates in a way to gauge how good KU is relative to a #8 program.

If you can't get the Pac12 TV network at 8 pm tonight, you might try theW.TV internet thing.

BobZag
11-30-2016, 10:40 AM
SMC will smoke Stanford. Period. Gaels are the real deal.

TexasZagFan
11-30-2016, 10:45 AM
SMC will smoke Stanford. Period. Gaels are the real deal.

Ok, I'm gonna liquidate my home equity credit line, and put it all on the Gaels. :pray: :drool:

maynard g krebs
11-30-2016, 10:46 AM
SMC should demolish Stanford, if not, perhaps that casts a shadow over that whole "very few losses" thing. With their schedule, they can't afford to drop a game at Stanford. Just checked out their schedule, Nevada, Dayton, Stanford are the only games that aren't embarrassing.

Stanford is #64 on kenpom, climbing from the 70's after their 14 pt neutral site win over Seton Hall (49). They have a couple of studs that are tough matchups for the Gaels in Travis (17/10) and Pickens (15PPG). And it's a home game for Stanford. A close win would be a good result for the Gaels imo.

As to their schedule, besides the 3 mentioned (kenpom 41 Dayton, 64 Stan, 80 Nev) UT Arlington is #76 and UAB is 96. I wouldn't call those embarrassing, or even 156 Irvine or 174 T A&M-CC (5-0).

SMC's SOS in the RPI is currently 59; not as bad as made out by Zag fans.

CDC84
11-30-2016, 11:19 AM
If SMC wins out in non-league play, I am predicting that they will get in the dance. I think this year's team is too good and passes the eye test. However, they may not like the seed they get. The only way they don't get in is if they lose to WCC bottom feeders.

Markburn1
11-30-2016, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=maynard g krebs;1251570]Stanford is #64 on kenpom, climbing from the 70's after their 14 pt neutral site win over Seton Hall (49). They have a couple of studs that are tough matchups for the Gaels in Travis (17/10) and Pickens (15PPG). And it's a home game for Stanford. A close win would be a good result for the Gaels imo."

I think you are correct here, Maynard. Stanford plays a little defense and might be able to out rebound St. Marys.

As for liquidating equity lines to bet on the Gaels...Made me laugh. Every time I think I know a bit about CBB I remind myself these are 18-22 year olds that can go off the deep end for no apparent reason and lose focus. Very risky investment. Heck, Emmet Naar may find out that Jock Londale is dating his sister and decide not to give him the ball anymore.

Kiddwell
11-30-2016, 12:15 PM
If memory serves, last year the Gaels at home beat Stanford by 17. Don't know how much better/worse Stanford is this year, but feel SMC's better based on a year's playing together, bringing everybody back, plus Jock Landale turning into a poor man's Domas Sabonas, all of a sudden.

Hope the Gaels really knock the limbs off The Tree (then have Stanford go on to a great year in the PAC-12). It'd be great for the WCC's rep, maybe move the Gaels into the Top 10, which would make Kiddwell lightheaded with glee.

:boxing:

Regarding SMC's venue, why, O, why can't they knock out a couple walls, bump it up to 5,000? Surely, someone from the Silicon Valley area (aka greater San Francisco) went to Saint Mary's, hit it big in the tech industry, and can bankroll the expansion. The Gaels, IMHO, would boost their homegrown recruiting by combining their good basketball rep with a larger, more modern facility. The MAC holds only 6000, but it looks big on TV, is always packed, and is modern. The Gaels (and Pepperdine, for that matter) need a MAC.

<Kiddwell is done now.>

:]

Nevada Don
11-30-2016, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=maynard g krebs;1251570] Very risky investment. Heck, Emmet Naar may find out that Jock Londale is dating his sister and decide not to give him the ball anymore.

Objection !! SMC encourages fraternizing with the opposite sex. Remember, we used to be an all male school.

Nevada Don
11-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Kidwell, Lots of us wish that too. It's not the greatest existing site though for expansion. Not sure if true but I have heard that SMC would rather sell out 4,000 seats as opposed to having 1,000 empty ones. I'm meeting with someone Friday so will try to get a better answer for you.

Nevada Don
11-30-2016, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=maynard g krebs;1251570]Stanford is #64 on kenpom, climbing from the 70's after their 14 pt neutral site win over Seton Hall (49). They have a couple of studs that are tough matchups for the Gaels in Travis (17/10) and Pickens (15PPG). And it's a home game for Stanford. A close win would be a good result for the Gaels imo."

I think you are correct here, Maynard. Stanford plays a little defense and might be able to out rebound St. Marys.

If anyone wants to get into the X's and O's ( I'm no coach) Saint Mary's has tried with some success in putting our 6'6" wing Calvin Hermanson on the opposing teams big guard, in this instance Dorian Pickens. It's true we haven't rebounded as well we might, maybe a little due to senior Dane Pineau (very good rebounder) being minutes challenged due to back issues.

seacatfan
11-30-2016, 12:53 PM
I haven't followed Stanford very closely this year. I believe they lost their leading scorer from last year but got almost everybody else back. I think a PG returning from injury as well. And a coaching change, which could be a fairly big improvement for them. They had been a perennial Tourney team with Monty and Hawknose Trent, then only made it once during the tenure of failed Dukie assistant coach promoted to a head coach #3 or #4 or whichever number he was. Major underachieving going on there on The Farm.

USC playing at USD, that is interesting. Trojans are getting very little attention this year but might be pretty good. I caught a few minutes of a game, Mathews' younger brother looked solid. Another Fr. guard was making plays and they already have a quality rotation of returning guards/wings plus one time fairly highly rated transfer from Louisville.

Nevada Don
11-30-2016, 01:22 PM
I haven't followed Stanford very closely this year. I believe they lost their leading scorer from last year but got almost everybody else back. I think a PG returning from injury as well. And a coaching change, which could be a fairly big improvement for them.

You are correct. Last years top guy was Roscoe Allen I believe and they do have guards coming back from last season injuries. Also their new coach, Jerod Hasse was at UAB (Gaels played them last Sunday) last year so he will be getting tips from them on the Gaels.
Stanford I believe was picked for 10th place in the Pac 12 this year and they're 6-1. They beat Colorado State, Weber State, Indiana State and Seaton Hall. Lost to Miami (67-53).
I'll keep quiet now.

SWZag
11-30-2016, 01:37 PM
I'm rooting for Utah Valley University! They've only one loss and a win over BYU.

There is also the UW @ TCU game at 4:00p, which was just played a couple days ago in Las Vegas, with TCU being the UW. We'll see how this game goes at TCU, can't imagine much different. This is the final tune-up for UW prior to their trip to Spokane.

sittingon50
11-30-2016, 01:39 PM

Heck, Emmet Naar may find out that Jock Londale is dating his sister and decide not to give him the ball anymore.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

DixieZag
11-30-2016, 01:53 PM
You are correct. Last years top guy was Roscoe Allen I believe and they do have guards coming back from last season injuries. Also their new coach, Jerod Hasse was at UAB (Gaels played them last Sunday) last year so he will be getting tips from them on the Gaels.
Stanford I believe was picked for 10th place in the Pac 12 this year and they're 6-1. They beat Colorado State, Weber State, Indiana State and Seaton Hall. Lost to Miami (67-53).
I'll keep quiet now.

Don't stay quiet! I like hearing from Gaels, even though I dissed their schedule - and so should you - I am about as big a Gaels supporter as there is on here. I said "demolish" on purpose b/c I have thought from the very beginning that the Gaels are very very good and they should demolish Stanford, if the line is 2.5 go bet the house imo. I have loved SMC's players and respected them forever. Except for one thing.

Your schedule, you can cite those numbers (early season numbers), but then go back and look through the names and think about the type of wins that gets the committee's notice. WE have cupcakes on our schedule, way too many, and many here complained about it when it came out, in fact, the tossing around the top 50 numbers have been as much b/c it's been a huge surprise given our thoughts when the schedule came out.

UT Arlington beat Texas? You go beat Texas, on their home floor, I'm sure you could. You beat Dayton at Dayton? Ok, go beat Ohio State - I think you could pull that off, too. I get that you can't exactly pick 14 teams out of 350 and say "we're playing them." But, if you're willing to go on the road, I think you could play Oregon, UCLA, USC, Utah, even UNLV - names seem to matter to the committee.

You don't have to hconvince me that SMC is good, they're great. But, losing this game hurts them badly b/c of their schedule. But, as you know, they should blow Stanford out, and that will make this fan very happy.

Nevada Don
11-30-2016, 02:32 PM
DixieZag, you've always been good to me (as much as my memory allows).

I know what you are saying about playing big games. I agree with you but RB continues to bemoan the scheduling problems since many other schools feel they have nothing to gain by playing SMC. Teams don't like going into McKeon. RB doesn't like one and done's away. I wish he would.
Some examples though: UAB wouldn't come to Moraga and we wouldn't go to Alabama. RB came up with The Orleans in LV. I heard SMC also had to give them $$ for the trip. Cal, Martin said last year that he would schedule us that it was a natural for the Bay Area schools. He changed his tune after we went there last year, with no return game, unlike Stanford. I don't think he wanted any part of us for this year or next. I heard we offered 2 away and 1 home. No takers at Cal. They said what about playing at the Oakland Coliseum but I heard they required SMC to pay the rental. Not positive if all that is true.

I do think it is hard to get home and away's and its obvious that RB is not willing to do what GU has done scheduling wise in the past. Next year we are in the Wooden Legacy Tournament but the competition doesn't look too stiff to me. We just got off that sanction regarding tournaments so that might help going forward.

I think we are on the same page but I give more deference to RB's reasoning because I went to school there :-).

SWZag
11-30-2016, 03:11 PM
UW up 8-2 early over TCU

Ezag
11-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Saint Mary's ...meh, I could care less until we play them and win

seacatfan
11-30-2016, 03:26 PM
ACC-Big 10 Challenge always has a few primo games. 2 nice offerings today. UNC @ IU could be a barnburner. That head scratching loss at IFWP or whatever it is (isn't that a Union?) not withstanding, Indiana has gotten off to a good start. And the Heels, well all the talking heads are all about Duke and Kentucky, but UNC was the runner up last year and looks to still be a contender despite losing 2 key guys from last year. Maybe Ol' Roy remembered how to coach again after they had a few sub par years and he was getting roasted.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-30-2016, 05:06 PM
UW shoots 83% for 3, 39% from the FT line and turns the ball over 25 times. Loses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23dpg
11-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Bryant beat Yale 79-70. The same Bryant team GU beat by 39. The same Yale team that beat UW by 9 at Hec Ed.
UW was up 23-5 today (or something close to that). They ended up losing by 15. I feel bad for my UW friends. What a dumpster fire.

Zags_Fanatic
11-30-2016, 05:23 PM
I'm rooting for Utah Valley University! They've only one loss and a win over BYU.

There is also the UW @ TCU game at 4:00p, which was just played a couple days ago in Las Vegas, with TCU being the UW. We'll see how this game goes at TCU, can't imagine much different. This is the final tune-up for UW prior to their trip to Spokane.

Hey, UVU is a Top 20 RPI win for us right now :)

DixieZag
11-30-2016, 05:26 PM
UW shoots 83% for 3, 39% from the FT line and turns the ball over 25 times. Loses.

They are 4-3, a lose to Yale at home, and 2 losses in a row (is google right about that?) to TCU represented their national schedule and played outside Montlake. At least TCU appears to be ok, 7-0, wins against Western Kentucky and UNLV but not much else to speak of.

If our guys are too amped up and they somehow beat us, it will be a bad loss.

DixieZag
11-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Appropo of nothing but I've always disliked the Hoosier basketball arena, all those curved arches and fan divider things, it looks like it was built in mind for concerts or assemblies or something.

Pallet
11-30-2016, 05:37 PM
Appropo of nothing but I've always disliked the Hoosier basketball arena, all those curved arches and fan divider things, it looks like it was built in mind for concerts or assemblies or something.

I guess they don't call it Assembly Hall for nothing.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-30-2016, 05:41 PM

I thought you were joking about that stat line until I checked the actual box score. Wow.

DixieZag
11-30-2016, 05:50 PM
I guess they don't call it Assembly Hall for nothing.

But, couldn't they have named it that, if that were their goal, and still have a real basketball arena?

They are playing out of their minds. Great game.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-30-2016, 05:59 PM
Will be interesting to see if Utah Valley can continue its road winning streak against bigger schools (not that WSU is playing like a bigger school), UVS is my 2nd favorite team right now.

No point in building a bigger place if that's the way they're going to schedule.

Trouble brewing [over] if USF can't beat Alcorn State

Santa Clara seems to play hard.

Thanks CDC, nice of you.

I will be cheering Utah Valley for the rest of the season. I love the story of the BYU castoffs who went into Provo and throttled the cool kids. If they can keep winning and hold onto a Top-50 RPI rating, that will be great for Gonzaga's profile.

Speaking of RPI profile, at this moment Utah Valley is No. 20 and Gonzaga is No.1 on the ESPN RPI.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi

seacatfan
11-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Yikes, Huskies. At least they started well last year before falling apart. I can understand the local kids wanting to play there, or the Porters wanting to play for their dad...but what the heck was Fultz thinking? Came from across the country, no local tie at all, could've gone anywhere, but he's going to be wasting his talent in his one and only year playing for UW. Poor decision making.

seacatfan
11-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Arizona taking care of business, up 19 at the half. Probably best half of basketball I've seen them play this year. I don't think Texas Southern is chopped liver, they have several legit ballers. Cats are forcing turnovers and putting on a dunking exhibition. Markannen was hot early, 3 buckets from behind the arc and 11 points in the first 10 minutes of the game (hasn't scored since). Starting PG Jackson-Cartright banged his knee against another player and left the game.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-30-2016, 06:15 PM
But, couldn't they have named it that, if that were their goal, and still have a real basketball arena?

They are playing out of their minds. Great game.

I don't want to see Indiana on our side of the bracket on Selection Sunday. That is a really good basketball team.

LongIslandZagFan
11-30-2016, 06:23 PM
Bryant beat Yale 79-70. The same Bryant team GU beat by 39. The same Yale team that beat UW by 9 at Hec Ed.
UW was up 23-5 today (or something close to that). They ended up losing by 15. I feel bad for my UW friends. What a dumpster fire.

Same story different year. The coaching prowess of Romar... at it's finest. SMDH... what a real coach could do with the talent he brings in.

Goshzagit
11-30-2016, 06:34 PM
Arizona taking care of business, up 19 at the half. Probably best half of basketball I've seen them play this year. I don't think Texas Southern is chopped liver, they have several legit ballers. Cats are forcing turnovers and putting on a dunking exhibition. Markannen was hot early, 3 buckets from behind the arc and 11 points in the first 10 minutes of the game (hasn't scored since). Starting PG Jackson-Cartright banged his knee against another player and left the game.

Zona looked good, real good.

Coach Miller was adamant they would be a better bball team vs TX So. He was emphatic about this during his weekly presser.

TX So has a few high level players, one NBA prospect, and another elite transfer.

Definitely not chopped liver.

seacatfan
11-30-2016, 06:54 PM
Zona looked good, real good.

Coach Miller was adamant they would be a better bball team vs TX So. He was emphatic about this during his weekly presser.

TX So has a few high level players, one NBA prospect, and another elite transfer.

Definitely not chopped liver.

Not as impressive in the 2nd half, pretty much even. Coasted a little. Texas Southern got hot behind the arc though. Yeah Griffin was a stud, impossible to keep him off the O boards. A couple of the guards looked good. Am I right in thinking Dulani Robinson is the same guy that played at Pacific a year or two ago?

Markannen finished (not Finnish...well he's that too) with 19, 5-6 behind the arc, 6 boards, 5 assists. Solid all around game. The other 2 freshmen had good games as well. Allen had probably his best game of the season so far. PJC never came back after the injury. Arizona still with very little depth and not much margin for error. Hopefully will be a good game on Saturday. I don't think Arizona has an answer for Karnowski in the low block, they need to exploit that.

seacatfan
11-30-2016, 06:55 PM
Virginia is in a struggle against unranked Ohio St., has been trailing pretty much the whole game I think.

Wazzu was up 16 at the half against Utah Valley. How did that happen?

RenoZag
11-30-2016, 07:12 PM
BYU 77
USU 63 F

USD 36
USC 48 13:19 2H

SCU 41
UCI 39 11:54 2H

USF 54
Alcorn St 41 15:14 2H

Indiana up by 7 over UNC with 2:30 to go. . .the curse of Dookie V lives !

#14 Louisville and # 9 Baylor both win. . .UCLA is playing cannon fodder ( UC Riverside )

RenoZag
11-30-2016, 07:21 PM
Virginia dodges a bullet, escapes with a 63-61 win over Ohio State. Ohio State shot at the buzzer, a deep three, barely grazed the front of the rim.

bartruff1
11-30-2016, 07:30 PM
A lot of very good teams with very good coaches giving up double digit leads ... it happens all the time..

MDABE80
11-30-2016, 07:31 PM
Is there a link to the SMC game???

Zagdawg
11-30-2016, 07:35 PM
DailyWildcatHoops
‏@WildcatHoops
Arizona player Parker Jackson-Cartwright has a high ankle sprain and x-rays came out negative. Will miss "substantial amount of time".

HRZag
11-30-2016, 07:35 PM
Live stats. http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=149153

RenoZag
11-30-2016, 07:41 PM
UC Irvine beats SCU, 58 -55 . Brownridge held to 20, SCU was outrebounded 32 - 24 by the Anteaters

Virginia Zags Fan
11-30-2016, 07:55 PM
SMC down four at the half: 30-26. Need them to pull this out. I am tired of them needing to beat GU to get in.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-30-2016, 07:56 PM
UC Irvine beats SCU, 58 -55 . Brownridge held to 20, SCU was outrebounded 32 - 24 by the Anteaters

Bummer.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-30-2016, 07:57 PM
DailyWildcatHoops
‏@WildcatHoops
Arizona player Parker Jackson-Cartwright has a high ankle sprain and x-rays came out negative. Will miss "substantial amount of time".

Glad nothing broken. Hope he is OK to play Saturday.

Actually, thinking how much time Jeremy Jones has missed, I am guessing he is going to miss 3-4 games. Bummer for the young man and UA.

Zagdawg
11-30-2016, 07:57 PM
Stanford by 4 at the half --- 30-26 ---Landale with 2 fouls riding the pine (5 pts 4 boards)

They are putting a shooting exhibition from 3 with a combined 5-21 (24%)

TheZagPhish
11-30-2016, 07:58 PM
SMC down four at the half: 30-26. Need them to pull this out. I am tired of them needing to beat GU to get in.

We'll see if they've got a killer instinct. Stanford was effective at disrupting any rhythm SMC had earlier. Gaels have to step up defensively.

seacatfan
11-30-2016, 07:59 PM
DailyWildcatHoops
‏@WildcatHoops

Arizona has been snake bit with injuries and other issues this year. Bummer. PJC doesn't have eye-popping stats but they'll definitely miss him. He's really their only true PG. Now a couple combo guards will have to share the job. I keep hearing that Trier has been "cleared" but there is nothing official still, not sure when he'll actually be in uniform and on the court for them. If it's on Saturday, it will be his first game of the year and will probably take him a bit to get back in the flow.

seacatfan
11-30-2016, 08:00 PM

They should pretend they are playing Arizona every game. They've given the Cats all they can handle 2 years in a row.

seacatfan
11-30-2016, 08:02 PM
I was wrong, Wazzu was up 18 at the half. And nearly Coug'ed it. UVU got within 1 with about 30 seconds left, but WSU held on and won by 7. UVU had several good looks at 3 that wouldn't go in that would've tied it up.

sittingon50
11-30-2016, 08:09 PM

SMC opens 2nd half with a 10-0 run.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-30-2016, 08:12 PM
That's more like it! RB must have really gotten them fired up at the half.

sittingon50
11-30-2016, 08:12 PM
USC 76
USD 55

Alcorn St. 65
USF 78

SOUTH DAKOTA 82
UMKC 84

Virginia Zags Fan
11-30-2016, 08:17 PM
Not good. Londale with 3 fouls.

sittingon50
11-30-2016, 08:24 PM
Not good. Londale with 3 fouls.

And just picked up his 4th with 10:39 to go.

RenoZag
11-30-2016, 08:37 PM
SMC 62
STAN 48 2:53 to go

Hermanson with 25, including 7-9 from 3PT

FINAL: 66 - 51.

Box Score: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400915541

Congrats to the Gaels

TheZagPhish
11-30-2016, 08:43 PM
SMC 62
STAN 48 2:53 to go

Gaels look solid.

sittingon50
11-30-2016, 08:48 PM
Gaels by 15.Nice (& important for them) win.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Great win for the Gaels. Very pleased for them. It would be so cool for both teams to be undefeated when they meet in January. Talk about hype! Hope It happens.

Zagdawg
11-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Good win for the WCC.

Hermanson heats up from 3 (7-9) and goes for double his average to put the trees away.

Looks like Randy kept his starters in the whole game--must have been trying to send the trees a message.

gaels87
11-30-2016, 08:57 PM
We played ok - Hermanson might have played one of his best games as a Gael. Naar struggled in the first half and we got beat up on the boards pretty good. Pineau is still nursing a bad back, but when we played both Pineau and Landale, in limited minutes, we were able to handle their size better down low. Now we just hope that Stanford doesn't do what Oregon and Cal have done before... and schedule another home and home with us!!!

Going to assume the win for you guys tomorrow and wish good luck on Saturday!

Nevada Don
11-30-2016, 08:58 PM
I think someone on this board mentioned that Calvin Hermanson might be guarding Dorian Pickens. Pickens went 0-4 with a total of 2 points. Hermanson had an awesome game. Fantastic 2nd half for the Gaels. Weak 1st half IMO.

This DONALD was very, very nervous tonight but didn't resort to Twitter !!

Thanks to all for following the Gaels tonight, regardless of your reasons. It's so nice to have a place like this to come to.

Nevada Don
11-30-2016, 09:01 PM
Good win for the WCC.

Hermanson heats up from 3 (7-9) and goes for double his average to put the trees away.

Looks like Randy kept his starters in the whole game--must have been trying to send the trees a message.

Played 10 guys. Naar and Rahon usually play the entire game if it is in question.

MDABE80
11-30-2016, 09:09 PM
Calvin went to SMC. Not sure why he didn't land at GU. Great kid. Seriously great kid! Congrats to the Gaels. Good victory. Huge 2nd half output.

maynard g krebs
11-30-2016, 09:11 PM
Congrats on a nice win Don.

Nevada Don
11-30-2016, 09:20 PM
Congrats on a nice win Don.

;) Thank you !

Nevada Don
11-30-2016, 09:25 PM
Calvin went to SMC. Not sure why he didn't land at GU. Great kid. Seriously great kid! Congrats to the Gaels. Good victory. Huge 2nd half output.

SMC had that 503 thing going on with Stephen Holt and Garrett Jackson. Calvin's defense is so much improved. His shooting is pure. He'll lead the Gaels again this year in 3 pt made and attempts.

Zagceo
11-30-2016, 09:28 PM
Good job SMC. Congrats Don.

Didn't you mention last year SMC would have another Jock coming in this year? Or am I just confused?

maynard g krebs
11-30-2016, 09:37 PM

Didn't you mention last year SMC would have another Jock coming in this year? Or am I just confused?

Jock Perry. Redshirting apparently? Due to depth or injury?

WallaWallaZag
11-30-2016, 09:40 PM
SMC had that 503 thing going on with Stephen Holt and Garrett Jackson. Calvin's defense is so much improved. His shooting is pure. He'll lead the Gaels again this year in 3 pt made and attempts.

i had heard that hermanson was interested in GU but for whatever reason zags didn't really reciprocate...a lot of people with ties to gonzaga wanted them to go after hermanson...rumor was that zag staff didn't think he was "athletic" enough to play the 3 (they were looking for a defensive stopper at the wing to go against the big boys) and he wasn't quite the shooter he has become back in high school.

a judgment error in my mind...not as big a goof as not going hard after joe harris, but still a mistake. good thing kispert looks like he should turn out to be at least as good as hermanson.

Nevada Don
11-30-2016, 09:46 PM
Jock Perry. Redshirting apparently? Due to depth or injury?

Jock Perry, Elijah Thomas and Tommy Kuhse (preferred walk-on) are all redshirting due to depth.

Nevada Don
11-30-2016, 09:47 PM

Thanks.
Nice memory too.

Goshzagit
11-30-2016, 09:58 PM
Arizona has been snake bit with injuries and other issues this year. Bummer. PJC doesn't have eye-popping stats but they'll definitely miss him. He's really their only true PG. Now a couple combo guards will have to share the job. I keep hearing that Trier has been "cleared" but there is nothing official still, not sure when he'll actually be in uniform and on the court for them. If it's on Saturday, it will be his first game of the year and will probably take him a bit to get back in the flow.

Have only seen two Arizona games thus far.

Isn't PJC their best perimeter defender thus far? Maybe not, just seems like he was the most active one. His size, if lack thereof might be his biggest weapon.

Really bummer news. I root for Arizona.

PJC's quickness would give GU fits on offense. Parker is one of those players you can count on going all out while on the floor.

Well, silver lining is Kobi Simmons is a stud. This will help him mature faster & elevate his game come Pac 12 play, & beyond. This could be a spark for him to "take over", as he should. Lonza Ball esque rally cry. Time for Kadeem to step up too. Seems like a leader.

Zags only had 7 scholarship players when they went on a run last season.

I thought Kobi stepped up his game after PJC went out. And Markannen is terrific on offense, not great defender yet. I like the Rawle kid too, both 5* prospects.

Arizona will be just fine, and better long term given this adversity.

Heard Trier been practicing fully with the team. Gotta think his return will be sooner than ltr.

seacatfan
11-30-2016, 11:15 PM
PJC is a pest kind of defender. Definitely active and gives it all he's got. Opinions on him from UA fans have varied during his career. Prior to tonight's game (didn't play very many minutes before the injury so skews his numbers) he was averaging 9 points and 6 assists, and I thought I heard them say 4 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. I'll take that from a PG every day, especially if there are other scoring options. Anyway I think Kadeem Allen gets the title of best perimeter defender for UA. He had a really nice game tonight, been waiting for a breakout game for him. Yeah Simmons and Alkins both have been playing fairly well and demonstrating plenty of potential. Alkins looks like he should be playing football, that kid is stacked.

Nevada Don
12-01-2016, 12:06 AM
We talked some today about SMC's scheduling. Here is one of RB's quotes after tonight game.

Comment by Randy Bennett
“I wanted to thank Stanford for playing us. I think it is great for Bay Area basketball. I hope they and California continue to do it. It is good Bay Area college basketball games. When you heard the announcements and hear the crowd cheer in the background, it was special. It is good for us to keep playing these games.”

Jerod Haase commented something like, "We'd like to do it but it depends on our scheduling. We will have a dialogue about it."

Personally, I doubt that Stanford would want to schedule the Gaels next year. Maybe beyond that though.

Bogozags
12-01-2016, 08:19 AM
Glad nothing broken. Hope he is OK to play Saturday.

Actually, thinking how much time Jeremy Jones has missed, I am guessing he is going to miss 3-4 games. Bummer for the young man and UA.

Sorry to hear of his injury and hope he gets back to normal speed for PAC12 play!

I taped the AZ-SCU game and watched it last night and Parker Jackson-Cartwright was IMO the key to winning that game...he is so darn quick, I think he can turn off the lights and get in bed before the room gets dark! He would have been a handful and penetrated it seemed at will making some very nice passes. I remember watching him play last year and wasn't all that impressed but he has improved tremendously.

The Finlander (can't remember how to spell his name) will be tough to handle and hope Coach Few has PK guarding Restic and let JIII or Tillie guard him...JMHO

Bogozags
12-01-2016, 08:32 AM
Jock Perry, Elijah Thomas and Tommy Kuhse (preferred walk-on) are all redshirting due to depth.

Is Holt playing overseas? If so, where? I really liked his game...SMC had a run of five really good guards these last 6-7 years, beginning with Mills up to Naar...with Mills and Delly playing in the NBA!

seacatfan
12-01-2016, 09:04 AM
The Finlander (can't remember how to spell his name) will be tough to handle and hope Coach Few has PK guarding Restic and let JIII or Tillie guard him...JMHO

Markannen. Absolutely on the D assignments, can't imagine Few doing otherwise. Markannen sets up mostly on the perimeter and Ristic works almost exclusively near the paint, no way they want to have Karno being drawn out of the key. Markannen will probably get his points, but his D is a work in progress so the Zags can go at him on the other end of the floor. Will be really entertaining if he and Collins end up being matched up for part of the game.

Arizona has been using a really big lineup at times, with 3 of Markannen, Ristic, Comanche or Pinder on the floor together (6-9, 6-11 and 2 7 footers). Will be interesting to see if Zags try to match or go smaller and try to exploit it with quickness.

Worthington
12-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Nice win for Saint Mary's yesterday. Stanford has a pretty decent team this year that already beat Seton Hall. Getting a win on the road is never easy, hopefully this is a sign of things to come from their program

MJGoGaels
12-01-2016, 10:48 AM
https://gaels360.com/2016/12/01/hermanatoranyone/

Stanford game. Defense wins championships.

Nevada Don
12-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Is Holt playing overseas? If so, where? I really liked his game...SMC had a run of five really good guards these last 6-7 years, beginning with Mills up to Naar...with Mills and Delly playing in the NBA!

Holt was playing in Australia. I assume he is still there. He attended a game in Moraga recently and was welcomed back by the crowd. Here is a list of Gaels playing in the "Pro's" as of 2015.

http://www.smcgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21400&ATCLID=209281287

Naph
12-01-2016, 06:23 PM

Holt is currently playing for Tecnyconta Zaragoza in the Spanish ACB. He did play for Melbourne in Australia for the last pro season, but played in Spain in the Australian off-season and appears to have stuck there for the time being. There was plenty of disappointment about that from Australian fans who liked his game.

Nevada Don
12-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Holt is currently playing for Tecnyconta Zaragoza in the Spanish ACB. He did play for Melbourne in Australia for the last pro season, but played in Spain in the Australian off-season and appears to have stuck there for the time being. There was plenty of disappointment about that from Australian fans who liked his game.

Hey Naph, nice to see you. You're one of the good guys. Regards, Don (Tahoe Gael).

Bogozags
12-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Don and Naph thanks for the up date on SMC players...

Seattle Hoo
12-02-2016, 02:23 PM
Yikes, Huskies. At least they started well last year before falling apart. I can understand the local kids wanting to play there, or the Porters wanting to play for their dad...but what the heck was Fultz thinking? Came from across the country, no local tie at all, could've gone anywhere, but he's going to be wasting his talent in his one and only year playing for UW. Poor decision making.

Clearly all he wants to do is put up big numbers and enjoy his down time for the one year until he can start making millions. No pesky film work. Just go play.

maynard g krebs
12-02-2016, 03:04 PM

The story is that one of the Husky assts. (Chillius?) saw Fultz play as a soph when he couldn't even make the hs varsity (a la Jordan), saw something special in him and offered him before he was on anyone else's radar, much less the high school varsity. So the kid is loyal, when he could have jumped ship for a better program. I'd call that a positive character trait rather than poor decision making. And he'll be a top 3 pick and an NBA star next year regardless, so he's not gonna be hurt professionally by playing for a poor college team for a year.

seacatfan
12-02-2016, 03:07 PM
The story is that one of the Husky assts. (Chillius?) saw Fultz play as a soph when he couldn't even make the hs varsity (a la Jordan), saw something special in him and offered him before he was on anyone else's radar, much less the high school varsity. So the kid is loyal, when he could have jumped ship for a better program. I'd call that a positive character trait rather than poor decision making. And he'll be a top 3 pick and an NBA star next year regardless, so he's not gonna be hurt professionally by playing for a poor college team for a year.

That's an interesting story, thanks for sharing that Maynard.