Other Games Tonight 11/30/16 = UNC at IU, SMC at Stanford, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Other Games Tonight 11/30/16 = UNC at IU, SMC at Stanford, etc.

Some really good matchups tonight. Tip times are PT:

4:15pm = (15) Purdue at (14) Louisville, ESPN
    6:00pm = Texas Southern at (16) Arizona, Pac 12
    6:00pm = Utah St. at BYU, BYU-TV
    6:15pm = (3) North Carolina at (13) Indiana (the game environment for this should be absolutely nuts. Assembly Hall might be the loudest building in the nation when a top 5 team comes in). ESPN
    6:15pm = Ohio St at (6) Virginia, ESPN2
    7:00pm = USC at San Diego (yes, at the Slim Gym. Is this a hometown game for a Trojan player?)
    7:00pm = UC-Irvine at Santa Clara
    7:00pm = Alcorn St. at San Francisco
    7:00pm = Utah Valley State at Washington St.
    8:00pm = (12) St. Mary's at Stanford, Pac 12 (for Bay Area residents)
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Will be interesting to see if Utah Valley can continue its road winning streak against bigger schools (not that WSU is playing like a bigger school), UVS is my 2nd favorite team right now.

SMC should demolish Stanford, if not, perhaps that casts a shadow over that whole "very few losses" thing. With their schedule, they can't afford to drop a game at Stanford. Just checked out their schedule, Nevada, Dayton, Stanford are the only games that aren't embarrassing. Must win game for them.

No point in building a bigger place if that's the way they're going to schedule.

Trouble brewing [over] if USF can't beat Alcorn State

Santa Clara seems to play hard.

Thanks CDC, nice of you.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Rooting for the Gaels 'cause it would be great to see WCC have two top 10 teams at some point this season....and NevadaDon seems like a good guy.

Hope Utah State beats BYU...that would be a bad result for WCC but I don't care. I don't like BYU....dirty players, arrogant fans.
      Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• gonzagafan62
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2013

Always root for WCC.
        Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• sittingon50
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

My problem with WSU is they count the band, the concession worker's & the usher's (& rumor has it the parking lot attendant's) so they can push 2K in attendance. Hardly seems ethical.
          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Nevada Don
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Apr 2012

[QUOTE=DixieZag;1251519]

SMC should demolish Stanford, if not, perhaps that casts a shadow over that whole "very few losses" thing. With their schedule, they can't afford to drop a game at Stanford. Just checked out their schedule, Nevada, Dayton, Stanford are the only games that aren't embarrassing. Must win game for them.

"No point in building a bigger place if that's the way they're going to schedule."

SMC is only favored by 2 1/2. Guess that translates to "should demolish them".
            UAB, played on a neutral court, I believe is the FAV to win Conference USA.
            UT-Arlington just beat Texas yesterday, for the 1st time ever.
            UC Irvine is no slouch program, unless you dislike "anteaters" in general.
            Some revel in GU being#1 in the RPI but dismiss SMC at #11. I guess they use different parameters to determine rankings for the two schools ?
            The SMC GYM seats 3,500 currently and will "grow by only 400-500." Don't think they are too worried by low attendance "with their disgustingly poor scheduling."
            Does anyone remember that (I think) McCarthy was only 6,000 seats. Is that the difference in being called a "gym", 2,000 less capacity, from 6,000 to 4,000 seats.

Fyi, Stanford plays #4 Kansas in a few days, not sure if that translates in a way to gauge how good KU is relative to a #8 program.

If you can't get the Pac12 TV network at 8 pm tonight, you might try theW.TV internet thing.

Comment

• BobZag
              Dark Lord of the Zag
              • Jan 2007

SMC will smoke Stanford. Period. Gaels are the real deal.
              The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                SMC will smoke Stanford. Period. Gaels are the real deal.
                Ok, I'm gonna liquidate my home equity credit line, and put it all on the Gaels.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post

SMC should demolish Stanford, if not, perhaps that casts a shadow over that whole "very few losses" thing. With their schedule, they can't afford to drop a game at Stanford. Just checked out their schedule, Nevada, Dayton, Stanford are the only games that aren't embarrassing.
                  Stanford is #64 on kenpom, climbing from the 70's after their 14 pt neutral site win over Seton Hall (49). They have a couple of studs that are tough matchups for the Gaels in Travis (17/10) and Pickens (15PPG). And it's a home game for Stanford. A close win would be a good result for the Gaels imo.

As to their schedule, besides the 3 mentioned (kenpom 41 Dayton, 64 Stan, 80 Nev) UT Arlington is #76 and UAB is 96. I wouldn't call those embarrassing, or even 156 Irvine or 174 T A&M-CC (5-0).

SMC's SOS in the RPI is currently 59; not as bad as made out by Zag fans.

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

If SMC wins out in non-league play, I am predicting that they will get in the dance. I think this year's team is too good and passes the eye test. However, they may not like the seed they get. The only way they don't get in is if they lose to WCC bottom feeders.

Comment

• Markburn1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2015

[QUOTE=maynard g krebs;1251570]Stanford is #64 on kenpom, climbing from the 70's after their 14 pt neutral site win over Seton Hall (49). They have a couple of studs that are tough matchups for the Gaels in Travis (17/10) and Pickens (15PPG). And it's a home game for Stanford. A close win would be a good result for the Gaels imo."

I think you are correct here, Maynard. Stanford plays a little defense and might be able to out rebound St. Marys.

As for liquidating equity lines to bet on the Gaels...Made me laugh. Every time I think I know a bit about CBB I remind myself these are 18-22 year olds that can go off the deep end for no apparent reason and lose focus. Very risky investment. Heck, Emmet Naar may find out that Jock Londale is dating his sister and decide not to give him the ball anymore.

Comment

• Kiddwell
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Go Gaels! Beat Stanford!

If memory serves, last year the Gaels at home beat Stanford by 17. Don't know how much better/worse Stanford is this year, but feel SMC's better based on a year's playing together, bringing everybody back, plus Jock Landale turning into a poor man's Domas Sabonas, all of a sudden.

Hope the Gaels really knock the limbs off The Tree (then have Stanford go on to a great year in the PAC-12). It'd be great for the WCC's rep, maybe move the Gaels into the Top 10, which would make Kiddwell lightheaded with glee.

Regarding SMC's venue, why, O, why can't they knock out a couple walls, bump it up to 5,000? Surely, someone from the Silicon Valley area (aka greater San Francisco) went to Saint Mary's, hit it big in the tech industry, and can bankroll the expansion. The Gaels, IMHO, would boost their homegrown recruiting by combining their good basketball rep with a larger, more modern facility. The MAC holds only 6000, but it looks big on TV, is always packed, and is modern. The Gaels (and Pepperdine, for that matter) need a MAC.

<Kiddwell is done now.>

:]
                        Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• Nevada Don
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Apr 2012

[QUOTE=Markburn1;1251578]
                          Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                          Very risky investment. Heck, Emmet Naar may find out that Jock Londale is dating his sister and decide not to give him the ball anymore.
                          Objection !! SMC encourages fraternizing with the opposite sex. Remember, we used to be an all male school.

Comment

• Nevada Don
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Apr 2012

Kidwell, Lots of us wish that too. It's not the greatest existing site though for expansion. Not sure if true but I have heard that SMC would rather sell out 4,000 seats as opposed to having 1,000 empty ones. I'm meeting with someone Friday so will try to get a better answer for you.

Comment

• Nevada Don
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Apr 2012

[QUOTE=Markburn1;1251578]
                              Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                              Stanford is #64 on kenpom, climbing from the 70's after their 14 pt neutral site win over Seton Hall (49). They have a couple of studs that are tough matchups for the Gaels in Travis (17/10) and Pickens (15PPG). And it's a home game for Stanford. A close win would be a good result for the Gaels imo."

I think you are correct here, Maynard. Stanford plays a little defense and might be able to out rebound St. Marys.
                              If anyone wants to get into the X's and O's ( I'm no coach) Saint Mary's has tried with some success in putting our 6'6" wing Calvin Hermanson on the opposing teams big guard, in this instance Dorian Pickens. It's true we haven't rebounded as well we might, maybe a little due to senior Dane Pineau (very good rebounder) being minutes challenged due to back issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X