PDA

View Full Version : Helfrich out

TexasZagFan
11-30-2016, 06:01 AM
I suppose Charlie Strong shouldn't complain...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18168683/mark-helfrich-oregon-ducks-coach

LongIslandZagFan
11-30-2016, 06:07 AM
I suppose Charlie Strong shouldn't complain...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18168683/mark-helfrich-oregon-ducks-coach

Charlie Strong was about to be fired from the day he took the job. My Austin friend thinks Charlie never had the support from day 1 which killed his ability to recruit. Nobody wants to go to a coach that could be fired before you even set foot on campus. Don't know how it was for Mark there in Eugene.

TexasZagFan
11-30-2016, 07:26 AM
Charlie Strong was about to be fired from the day he took the job. My Austin friend thinks Charlie never had the support from day 1 which killed his ability to recruit. Nobody wants to go to a coach that could be fired before you even set foot on campus. Don't know how it was for Mark there in Eugene.

Recruiting didn't kill Charlie, it was his defensive players that he recruited. None of them knew how to tackle, and they were never coached up. The head coach at UT by default will attract a top-15 recruiting class without having to leave Texas. Recruiting to Eugene or Corvallis is much tougher. Of the top 50 recruits in Texas last year, Texas signed 13, one (Tristan Wallace) went to Oregon. What does Oregon do? They switch him to wide receiver from QB! I saw him play and he was unstoppable and a good enough passer, perfect for Oregon's offense.

The current crop of Longhorns quit as the season progressed, as evidenced by the 31-9 home loss administered by TCU last week. I understand there were thousands of empty seats, too.

Understandably, reactions were mixed to Charlie's firing, but to say his ability to recruit was 'killed' vastly overstates the situation.

The sheer volume of talent in this state is staggering. By the time a kid graduates from HS, he will likely have played football for at least eight years, and attended multiple camps in the off season. Dozens of high schools in Texas field 2-3 freshman teams and two JV teams.

My 6 YO grandson just finished his second year of flag football, although we'd prefer to see him focus on basketball and soccer. However, football is #1 with him, hands down.

In Nashville, I'll have my camera ready with the video of his first touchdown, a 50 yard dash to glory...lol.

sittingon50
11-30-2016, 10:04 AM
So Helfrich was 34-10 coming into the season & whiffed on his rent-a-quarterback.

I guess he got stupid really fast.

Mickey Mouse.

TexasZagFan
11-30-2016, 10:46 AM
So Helfrich was 34-10 coming into the season & whiffed on his rent-a-quarterback.

I guess he got stupid really fast.

Mickey Mouse.

Tristan Wallace at QB would have saved his job, he's that dynamic a player.

Returned for the two state playoff outings at the end of the year, running for 180 yards and three TDs in his first appearance following an eight-game absence

That performance was against our school. Three years in a row, we had to play Desoto in the opening round, lost all 3, the last with 20 seconds left on the clock.

Thanks to redistricting, we avoided Desoto and Allen, made it to the third round, losing 49-45 with 30 seconds to go.

seacatfan
11-30-2016, 12:39 PM
You probably have to chalk up plenty of Helfrich's early success to the players he inherited when he took over. I think anybody could've had a decent record coaching that team when Mariota was the QB. They were definitely trending the wrong direction. Maybe this year was an anomaly and they would've bounced back, but maybe not. Their defense was absolutely horrendous this season. Big time college athletics is very much of a "what have you done for me lately" business. Anyway his buyout is $11 mil I thought I saw, so don't cry for him.