PDA

View Full Version : OT: Why the WCC has become a career killer for coaches

Section 116
11-28-2016, 09:05 PM
I posted this here because I think there is wide appeal to what Jeff Eisenberg from Yahoo Sports has published. Be sure to click on the "Read More" button as you are scrolling through the article. Moderators, feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum if this is the wrong place! Article link: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/west-coast-bias-why-the-wcc-has-become-a-career-killer-for-coaches-205029165.html

Kiddwell
11-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Interesting article. Methinks this conference will experience an uptick with the new coaches. Also, call me crazy, but I still hold out hope for much-maligned (on this board) Pacific. They've gone through a tough transition since their well-regarded coach retired three or four years ago. From this fan's perspective they've a decent sized venue and are kind of the only game in town, like GU. They've had some decent success in their previous conference. Hoping, hoping.

Regarding the other conference members, Pepperdine, change your mind and build that modern facility. You're right in the thick of SoCal. Plus, the beautiful campus. LMU, also in SoCal. Schools need to upgrade facilities, see NCAA b-ball as a way to win games and advertise to prospective students. I really believe this conference has the core elements to be tough year in, year out. It seems kind of odd, with GU and SMC as blueprints, that the other schools haven't thrown more effort/money basketball's way.

:]

sittingon50
11-28-2016, 11:00 PM
Thanks 116!

Birddog
11-29-2016, 05:06 AM
Good read.

Nobody besides Gonzaga or Saint Mary’s has won so much as a share of the WCC title since 2002. Nobody besides Gonzaga, Saint Mary’s or BYU has reached the WCC tournament title game since 2008. Only once since BYU entered the league in 2011 has another team besides the WCC’s marquee three even managed to finish third or higher in the standings.

TexasZagFan
11-29-2016, 06:29 AM
I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but the NCAA tournament money that the schools get should go directly to the basketball programs.

willandi
11-29-2016, 08:05 AM
I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but the NCAA tournament money that the schools get should go directly to the basketball programs.

I agree with this. I also think that new coaches that have some cred should demand that, as a part of their being hired, 'X' amount of money be spent to improve the program/facilities etc. Terry Porter and Stoudamire could make such demands. It would either result in not being hired or improved programs.

Coaches with little or no college experience just try to get a head coaching job, hope to improve the team and move on and, hopefully, up. If they can't recruit or coach well enough to improve the team, maybe an assistants job is as high as they should go.

I don't know, not a coach, but just my thoughts.

Zagricultural
11-29-2016, 08:21 AM
This is why Mark Few and Gonzaga's streak is so special. People always dismiss the 18 straight NCAA tournaments add a result of the WCC, but no other midmajor school head ever come close. Truly unprecedented for such mid major success!

CDC84
11-29-2016, 09:17 AM
One college basketball analyst I know feels that what was already a problem became a massive problem when BYU joined the league. Because then the bottom feeders had to deal with three top dog programs instead of just two. He felt at the time and still feels that the bottom feeder teams are less likely to invest in their programs because they can't keep up in an arms race with the big 3. With two top dogs there was more hope. He felt and still feels the WCC was dumb to add BYU because of this. He also anticipated BYU leaving at some point, which would force the league to add another 200+ RPI school to the league....thus making the league worse than it was before BYU joined.

RenoZag
11-29-2016, 10:56 AM

They should pro-rate the shares based on conference W - L record over a running four-year time span. If a school doesn't compete, they shouldn't get an equal share. So what if the rich get richer ?

seacatfan
11-29-2016, 02:00 PM
It may be in the distant past (especially for USF), but a number of WCC schools have some decent tradition. Pepperdine, LMU and Santa Clara. Even USD has had several good years and a few NCAA Tourney appearances. It's not impossible to win at those schools. As mentioned before Pacific had a fairly strong program in the Big West until they fell off a cliff just before becoming a member of the WCC. I don't think I really buy the argument the Big 3 is preventing everybody else from having decent programs.

It will be interesting to see how Porter and Stoudamire do. Both are big name hires due to being former NBA players but have limited coaching experience. Also will be interesting to keep an eye on Sendek. He's a guy that always seems to struggle to get respect, but has won wherever he's been.

Baldwinzag
11-29-2016, 02:03 PM
http://www.theoilersrig.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/excuses.jpg