PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-ISU

Section 116
11-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Hudson: GU wins tournament for third time. ISU gave Zags all they wanted. ISU scored 15 consecutive points to get back in the game. Zags shot just 29% in the second half. I think Hudson said the had one basket in the last four minutes or so. Zags rather uncharacteristic shooting only 50% from free throw line, though not a lot of shots 6-12. NGW MVP of tournament. NGW leads with 18 points. Burton leads ISU with 29. Rebounds even at 34 despite GU size advantage. GU better from three than the FT line today. 16 points from the freshmen Collins and Tillie.

Hudson said Santangelo really missed an exciting game here. Burton picked up second personal with 3:30 in the first half and really backed off defensively. Zags immediately went inside and GU took a 49-34 lead into the locker room. In the second half the GU continued to hit the threes and it looked like GU would run away with it when they took an 18 point lead at 58-40 but that is when ISU cut it to 58-55. ISU had a look at the end but missed the three for the win.

Collins: I'm glad the three came at the right time. I work on it a lot. I probably don't look for it as often as I should. We came out confident, and moved the ball really well, and aggressive, some of the best basketball we played this year in the first half. ISU is really a great team. All of a sudden if felt like a road game here with the ISU fan base. But it feels good when you hit the shot and the crowd goes silent. We have a great fan base too. There are a lot of Zags here and they came all this way. I was really confident coming into the game. My job is to be ready when they call me name. This team is the most unselfish team I have ever played on. Sometimes too unselfish. Few told us the next man up is the guy. We didn't come here the beginning of the week thinking we would play on Sunday but when we did we didn't come here to lose!

GU really had a hard time scoring down the stretch. Only three points in the final 5:30 I think Hudson said. Last FG from Collins at the 5:30 mark. Solid game off the bench for Tillie with 7 and 5. Quiet game for Melson 1 rebound 1 assist. GU sets new tournament record with 13 threes. Karnowski career high 5 assists. GU never trailed in game

No coach interview apparently?

demian
11-27-2016, 12:30 PM
Hudson: GU wins tournament for third time. ISU gave Zags all they wanted. ISU scored 15 consecutive points to get back in the game. Zags shot just 29% in the second half. I think Hudson said the had one basket in the last four minutes or so. Zags rather uncharacteristic shooting only 50% from free throw line, though not a lot of shots 6-12. NGW MVP of tournament. NGW leads with 18 points. Burton leads ISU with 29. Rebounds even at 34 despite GU size advantage. GU better from three than the FT line today. 16 points from the freshmen Collins and Tillie.

Hudson said Santangelo really missed an exciting game here. Burton picked up second personal with 3:30 in the first half and really backed off defensively. Zags immediately went inside and GU took a 49-34 lead into the locker room. In the second half the GU continued to hit the threes and it looked like GU would run away with it when they took an 18 point lead at 58-40 but that is when ISU cut it to 58-55. ISU had a look at the end but missed the three for the win.

Collins: I'm glad the three came at the right time. I work on it a lot. I probably don't look for it as often as I should. We came out confident, and moved the ball really well, and aggressive, some of the best basketball we played this year in the first half. ISU is really a great team. All of a sudden if felt like a road game here with the ISU fan base. But it feels good when you hit the shot and the crowd goes silent. We have a great fan base too. There are a lot of Zags here and they came all this way. I was really confident coming into the game. My job is to be ready when they call me name. This team is the most unselfish team I have ever played on. Sometimes too unselfish. Few told us the next man up is the guy. We didn't come here the beginning of the week thinking we would play on Sunday but when we did we didn't come here to lose!

GU really had a hard time scoring down the stretch. Only three points in the final 5:30 I think Hudson said. Last FG from Collins at the 5:30 mark. Solid game off the bench for Tillie with 7 and 5. Quiet game for Melson 1 rebound 1 assist. GU sets new tournament record with 13 threes. Karnowski career high 5 assists. GU never trailed in game

No coach interview apparently?

Thank you section116. I thought we looked pathetic in second half. 24 points is all we scored in second half. ISU played so intense on defense in second half and all our guards did was hold the ball or dribble with no purpose then pick up dribble and nobody else moving to get open or worse we just jacked up forced perimeter shot after another with miss after miss. Didn't handle tough intense pressure in your face defense very well at all by our guards. Oh well im sure glad we won though lol

bballbeachbum
11-27-2016, 12:46 PM
thanks 116. rats, was hoping to hear from the coaches too!

ZagMan in Philly
11-27-2016, 02:02 PM
Thanks 116.
FWIW, There were a lot Cyclone fans in the stadium, and it was noisy when they made the run. We lost our composure, but our diaper dandy bailed us out. He is our go to guy. He is a winner and got game. Glad we are still undefeated in Orlando.

CDC84
11-27-2016, 02:41 PM
I too was impressed with ISU's defense, which is something they are normally not known for. They are veteran team. I knew they would stage a comeback. Next time I'd like to see the Zags not cough up that big of a lead.

jazzdelmar
11-27-2016, 02:49 PM
Thanks 116.
FWIW, There were a lot Cyclone fans in the stadium, and it was noisy when they made the run. We lost our composure, but our diaper dandy bailed us out. He is our go to guy. He is a winner and got game. Glad we are still undefeated in Orlando.

Agree. A teenager stepping up against a top 20 team doesn't happen much for GU.