PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game - Iowa State - 11. 17. 2016

RenoZag
11-27-2016, 12:24 PM
73 - 71 Win. . .

Heart Attack city, baby. Zags coughed up a huge lead but escape Orlando with the "W"

Who deserves to be today's player of the game ??

STATS / BOX SCORE: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=151331

maynard g krebs
11-27-2016, 12:26 PM
NWG.

DixieZag
11-27-2016, 12:27 PM
So tough, no one stood up - at least in second half.

I went with Zach Collins, only b/c of the physical toughness, some big baskets.

Not sure - it could be any of 5.

ZagNative
11-27-2016, 12:30 PM
NWG, 6-8 on three.

CdAZagFan
11-27-2016, 12:31 PM
This was a tough one - no one really stood out the second half. Thought Collins looked real good down the stretch, but missed a crucial free throw. We had some chances to not make it that close at the end, but overall its GREAT to get the win. Burton reminded me of Kawhi Leonard and Draymond Green when we played them - but we lost those games. Great learning experience early in the season...

Edited to add: Watching Tillie and Collins play the way they are, in clutch situations, is really exciting. These two are contributing at key times - a great sign going forward.

willandi
11-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Karno for the points, the assists and the boards. Also the only starter with just one TO.

tyra
11-27-2016, 12:37 PM
None of the above.

MontanaCoyote
11-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Karno for the points, the assists and the boards. Also the only starter with just one TO.

Got my vote, for hustle as well.

Birddog
11-27-2016, 12:38 PM
Tough one to decide but I went with NW-G. There were some great minutes from the frosh bigs again, I thought it was telling that they were in at the end of the game. Collins and Tillie are gonna be great by the end of the season.

gu03alum
11-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Karno would have been my first half GUnit

I went with NWG for the overall stat line. It's hard to think of anyone playing well after watching that 2nd half.

TravelinZag
11-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Dixie, you are so right -- any of five, or all of them. Went with Shem; stat line is especially impressive given just 22 minutes! Stamina not quite all back, but everything else is. So glad he is getting healthy, contributing, and selfless. The Presence!

Marcus
11-27-2016, 12:50 PM
Went with NWG. Loved Karnos passing and what Zack brought in hitting that first ft of the 1-1. If he misses that, ugh, don't even want to go there.

kitzbuel
11-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Went with Shem since he was most consistent the whole game. NWG was close second since his first half production was just a hair too much for ISU to overcome.

Bocco
11-27-2016, 12:54 PM
First half ..... Karnowski
Second half ..... ??? at least we held on and won

MDABE80
11-27-2016, 12:55 PM
We folded in the 2nd half. Not sure anyone deserves. Escape artists on this day.

bartruff1
11-27-2016, 12:57 PM

He is the man....

Hoopaholic
11-27-2016, 12:57 PM
Without Karno cyclones don't double or triple the post that provided good open outside look

Karno today

hooter73
11-27-2016, 01:01 PM
None of the above.

This.

We didn't win, they lost. Goss had us in it early but everyone fell apart at the end leaving no immediate positives to point at.

Mantua
11-27-2016, 01:04 PM
Nigel led well until the great collapse.

Thank you Mark Few for sending in Tillie for the last defensive stand and thank you Mr. Tillie for getting your hand up.

We walked away with a W and so much material to chew on in practice. That we beat a veteran team like ISU this early in the season when we're still a little wobbly is a wonderful achievement no matter how agonizing it was to sit through the 2nd half.

Hoopaholic
11-27-2016, 01:10 PM
This.

We didn't win, they lost. Goss had us in it early but everyone fell apart at the end leaving no immediate positives to point at.

Really? I don't think they had a lead EVER

Seems to a team who leads entire game is a winner

But to each their own

jazzdelmar
11-27-2016, 02:09 PM
NWG clear winner. The twin tower frosh in second. JW had a sneaky good game. Karno was 5-13 on layups.

Ezag
11-27-2016, 02:13 PM
No clear winner to me for the entire game. first half there were several possibilities. 2nd half - none

gozags09
11-27-2016, 02:33 PM
NWG Looking forward to seeing this team grow with his leadership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2wiceright
11-27-2016, 02:50 PM
Really? I don't think they had a lead EVER

Seems to a team who leads entire game is a winner

But to each their own

+1

CanadianZagsFan
11-27-2016, 04:04 PM
I went NWG even though I did not see the first 12 minutes of the game when he went off.
Karno was awesome after that point on... But then at winning time was not contributing offensively or even on the floor (ie Collins and Tillie, loved seeing Few's trust in them so early in the season).

MontanaCoyote
11-27-2016, 05:55 PM
Dixie, you are so right -- any of five, or all of them. Went with Shem; stat line is especially impressive given just 22 minutes! Stamina not quite all back, but everything else is. So glad he is getting healthy, contributing, and selfless. The Presence!

"The Presence" Stats and, as we've both mentioned before, just being there! Opposing teams just can't do, and often won't even try things that would be virtually automatic tactics in his absence. What they can't do is Points Avoided in my book, and The Presence is worth a bunch of those every game.

demian
11-27-2016, 07:11 PM
We folded in the 2nd half. Not sure anyone deserves. Escape artists on this day.

I agree 100% with you MDABE80

demian
11-27-2016, 07:12 PM
I agree with this statement

ZagsGoZags
11-27-2016, 07:29 PM
NWG has assists, points, and rebounds plenty

NotoriousZ
11-27-2016, 07:33 PM
Boo hoo, we folded in the second half, no one deserves it...

That's crap, you should vote for your first half player then. Without that cushion we lose this game. I'm thankful for the win and the learning experience. I went with Collins, who I thought was key in the final few minutes.

LongIslandZagFan
11-27-2016, 08:29 PM
W is a W... I could give a crap how they got it. Fact is they got it. Call them escape artists... fine... but the escape artists do one thing well... they escape. To say the folded does two things... a) it discounts the fact that the Cyclones are a good team that plays with heart and b) it insults the work that the Zags and Few put in to never trail the ENTIRE GAME.

I went with NWG.

BTW I could live without friggin' Dukie V doing ANY more Zag games. Calling Willams-Goss Goss-Williams not once but at least 3 times in the span of 5 minutes... I mean come on man.

Reborn
11-27-2016, 08:33 PM
NWG. CONGRATS ON tourney MVP,

Marcus
11-27-2016, 09:23 PM
W is a W... I could give a crap how they got it. Fact is they got it. Call them escape artists... fine... but the escape artists do one thing well... they escape. To say the folded does two things... a) it discounts the fact that the Cyclones are a good team that plays with heart and b) it insults the work that the Zags and Few put in to never trail the ENTIRE GAME.

I went with NWG.

BTW I could live without friggin' Dukie V doing ANY more Zag games. Calling Willams-Goss Goss-Williams not once but at least 3 times in the span of 5 minutes... I mean come on man.

This.

Come NCAA Tournament time, when the committee looks at seeding they won't care how the game was won. They will only care that it was a win against a ranked opponent.

Idahozag10
11-27-2016, 10:25 PM
i really believe nigel williams goss is the glue for this team. er e

Idahozag10
11-27-2016, 10:26 PM
i really believe nigel williams goss is the glue for this team. er e

sorry. tried to finish this. we will go as nigel williams goss goes.

Zagger
11-28-2016, 04:43 AM
NWKCollinsIII
The 1st half was sure fun to watch. TOs sucked though. TOs seem to raise their ugly heads each year at some point. Same goes for what Few said in the Mark Few Show "tentative". Right when the team started the 2nd half they looked kinda/sorta clueless, slow and ... tentative.
It's November though. Certainly nice to have a 6-0 Zags team that looks to be in the top 10 nationally for a goodly stretch of the season. How the guys do in December is going to be very interesting - exciting too - no doubt about that part!

TexasZagFan
11-28-2016, 06:45 AM

I went with NWG.

He should have spent his prep time prepping, instead of trying to school Mickey. C'mon, the mouse is 88 years old! :lmao:

MontanaCoyote
11-28-2016, 08:34 AM
Most important "take" from this poll? .........7 Zag's get votes. Says TEAM to me. Keep ALL those colors coming!

chieftain
11-28-2016, 11:30 PM
It seemed like a quiet 18 though. And not taking anything from that but collz and JW3 made it exciting and forced a momentum change. For me anyways. (Anecdotal post)🍔

I agree. But I think that JWG and Collz made the momentum change when we needed it to.