View Full Version : Poor Calls

Ekrub
11-25-2016, 09:57 PM
Many poor calls tonight:
1) NWG lay in
2) Perkins out of bounds
3) Florida ball above the cylinder
4) Melson defensive position

I've had a few drinks, know there are a few more I'm forgetting. But a poor effort by the refs. Hope it's cleaned up for Sunday's game.

demian
11-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Many poor calls tonight:
1) NWG lay in
2) Perkins out of bounds
3) Florida ball above the cylinder
4) Melson defensive position

I've had a few drinks, know there are a few more I'm forgetting. But a poor effort by the refs. Hope it's cleaned up for Sunday's game.

haha enjoy your adult beverages lol. I wonder what it was that caused mark few to have such a demeanor of utter disdain and complete disgust for that reff that was on his sideline after the game clock time issue with like 14 seconds to go in game and Jordan Mathews at the FT line, Mark Few looked like there was more incompetence taking place from the reff at that moment. I wonder what the issue was

Goshzagit
11-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Dickie V prides himself on not questioning calls (Duke games dont count), & he questioned two on us.

Says it all.

With all the emphasis of 'protecting the offensive player', oretty certain everyone was shocked at those two offensive fouls called on NWG.

Not to mention Silas' perfect defense called against, but exact same play for Florida on other end.

Watched Iowa St-Miami, & Quinnipiac-Seton Hall, & they were just as questionable.

The announcers for those games were in shock at some of the calls.

Early season officiating at its all time worst. Some have an agenda while others letting them play.

The rules committee adding/changing rules every year i stead of every decade causing confusion & chaos.

Dumb.

roxdoc
11-25-2016, 10:10 PM
Refs were icing the shooter - all that time to put less than 2 secs on the clock

Murphy outgo lifer
11-25-2016, 10:13 PM
This game has my vote for worst officiated game of the season for the Zags; by a long shot. The refs of this game should be absolutely embarrassed. Completely one sided.

Not to take anything away from Florida, they are a very, very good team.

Zagceo
11-25-2016, 10:18 PM
Zags overcame turnovers and tough calls........that's what good teams do

demian
11-25-2016, 10:28 PM
Refs were icing the shooter - all that time to put less than 2 secs on the clock

that makes sense now roxdoc thank you for clarification.

LeightonZag
11-25-2016, 10:45 PM
Any time you see Karl Hess on a Zebra crew you know you're in the for the worst night possible. A few years ago during the NCAA tournament he ejected Tim Miles from Nebraska for CORRECTLY POINTING OUT A CLOCK MALFUNCTION. The dude is a hack.

sittingon50
11-25-2016, 11:26 PM
Sure we'll see 2 of 'em on Sunday.

Zags11
11-26-2016, 12:26 AM
Zags overcame turnovers and tough calls........that's what good teams do

This.

billyberu
11-26-2016, 12:38 AM
Any time you see Karl Hess on a Zebra crew you know you're in the for the worst night possible. A few years ago during the NCAA tournament he ejected Tim Miles from Nebraska for CORRECTLY POINTING OUT A CLOCK MALFUNCTION. The dude is a hack.
It's amazing this guy finds work anymore.
http://www.syracuse.com/patrick-stevens/index.ssf/2015/01/acc_basketball_referee_karl_he.html

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Worthington
11-26-2016, 02:03 AM
Two that I remember pissing me off... Tillie getting called for the offensive foul, setting a good, hard screen as we were bringing the ball up, and Melson sliding his feet beautifully against Canyon Barry late in the second half. Both potentially game changing calls, and clearly the wrong ones in my eyes. I don't think the refs were biased, they just made some questionable calls and the majority went against us.

CanadianZagsFan
11-26-2016, 02:18 AM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-50-best-tweets-about-king-karl-hess-the-notorious-r-e-f/

Zagger
11-26-2016, 03:07 AM
I had to do some texting and emailing during the game and I still saw the crappy calls. What's the time limit for not moving on a screen? 30 seconds?

Birddog
11-26-2016, 04:34 AM
Two that I remember pissing me off... Tillie getting called for the offensive foul, setting a good, hard screen as we were bringing the ball up, and Melson sliding his feet beautifully against Canyon Barry late in the second half. Both potentially game changing calls, and clearly the wrong ones in my eyes. I don't think the refs were biased, they just made some questionable calls and the majority went against us.

Those were the most egregious in my eyes. I also thought Florida could have had a couple more "basket interference" calls made against them.

DixieZag
11-26-2016, 04:45 AM

Majority? And, when I turned the game back on with 8:00 left and saw 3 Zags w/ 4 fouls and one with 3, I kept looking to see the one with Florida's foul trouble and it just never got up. Additionally, of the bad calls (the foul on Karno was legit) in the last 5 minutes, all went against the Zags. Right after Perkins almost got knocked down at center court with a reach, Melson gets the sliding the feet.

And when it all happens during a tournament semi-final where one team is a huge state flagship team that will pack the arena and drive up ratings, and all go to that side, I think it's legitimate to question bias.

Officials aren't dumb and most are probably honest but not all. They get a sense of what the people paying them to be there want. It's human nature.

jazzdelmar
11-26-2016, 05:44 AM
Dix, when a team commits to such a tourney they are totally mindful of biases such as you describe. It's not like Florida was a late add. Few and Co. were prepared for a hosing. They averted it brilliantly. Few did a great job rotating and managing all those fouls. Going beyond 8 was not going to happen in this game.

Goshzagit
11-26-2016, 05:59 AM
Human nature played a part.

Just read opposing fan message boards, esp Iowa St, or Kentucky, etc.

Everyone kept saying they didn't want to face Florida because they "looked" so strong, imposing, athletic. Not toention how much better they "looked" than the Zags.

"They just seem so much better, faster, stronger than Gonzaga. Sure, Zags have some size, but Florida has guys who are amazingly athletic. How are the Zags still in this?"

Very common theme/post throughout social media last nite or message forums.

Refs can get lost in this perspective as well.

It seemed like refs only made obvious reach, over the back, blocking calls on Florida. Meanwhile, any defensive call, offensive foul, the "athletic" plays or questionable calls were made against us.

Either they wanted a Florida based team in Championship for a Florida based event or they got lost in the "look" of Florida as we did in 1st half and so many others watching on TV.

It wasnt the worst officiated game ive seen, but it was ceftainly the most bias i have seen in yrs.

LongIslandZagFan
11-26-2016, 06:16 AM
Those refs sucked something awful. That being said... the only thing I could give them a pass on was the clock. In their defense, when you watched the replay, the clock was stopped and started like 4 times. I think they resorted to getting a stopwatch to figure it out

jazzdelmar
11-26-2016, 06:46 AM
In the spirit of the season let it go, let it go, let it go. ;)

zagamatic
11-26-2016, 07:11 AM
The one that really ticked me off was the lack of a technical when Egbunu did a chin-up on the dunk. No player safety issues and he clearly did a chin-up to show off. Then the announcers completely ignored the fact that it should have been a T after like 9 replays

23dpg
11-26-2016, 07:12 AM
From the Florida board:

Incidentally, the refs at this tournament are terrible. As much as I thought we got hosed all night long last night, I though Gonzaga was getting equally hosed tonight.

I think someone needs to check and see if these guys have bookies.

btzag
11-26-2016, 07:14 AM
Well the win cures all for sure, but I have to point out the worst call for me was the call against NWG when he fouled out. Replay that beauty and you'll see him in perfect defensive position and the Florida player I don't think even makes contact and propels himself aside ways while flailing his arms all over the place. It was a vintage soccer flop, the ref was in perfect position to see it yet blows it on Nwg. Takes a lot to get him fired up and he was incredulous. Really really bad impactful call, glad it did not swing the game.

btzag
11-26-2016, 07:16 AM
From the Florida board:

Incidentally, the refs at this tournament are terrible. As much as I thought we got hosed all night long last night, I though Gonzaga was getting equally hosed tonight.

I think someone needs to check and see if these guys have bookies.

23 did they provide any examples of calls that were bad?

jazzdelmar
11-26-2016, 08:40 AM
Hold on, isn't hosing a relative term? Can two angels on the head of a pin get equally hosed?

GonzaGAW
11-26-2016, 09:02 AM
yeah it was bad, the worst was the block on Tillie. The ref simply was not looking and made a guess, he sees and crash and a player on the ground and realizes he has to blow his whistle, and then he just guessed, I swear it was a guess because if he had actually had his eyes on the play it would have been a foul on florida and Tillie would have been at the line with one and one. that really could have been a game changer.

but we won, and as scripture says, "love covers over a multitude of sins", and so does a win cover over a poorly officiated game.

NEC26
11-26-2016, 10:32 AM
Well the win cures all for sure, but I have to point out the worst call for me was the call against NWG when he fouled out. Replay that beauty and you'll see him in perfect defensive position and the Florida player I don't think even makes contact and propels himself aside ways while flailing his arms all over the place. It was a vintage soccer flop, the ref was in perfect position to see it yet blows it on Nwg. Takes a lot to get him fired up and he was incredulous. Really really bad impactful call, glad it did not swing the game.

Even worse is GU was called for an offensive foul (can't remember if it was NWG or Perkins) while driving to the hoop when he steered himself into the defender who definitely did not have position.

ProVeeZag
11-26-2016, 10:48 AM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-50-best-tweets-about-king-karl-hess-the-notorious-r-e-f/

Great...really GREAT...article. My favorite tweet about referee Karl Hess was this gem from Joe Ovies (@joeovies) back on 4/6/13:

"Syracuse really needs Karl Hess to step up right now."

ProVeeZag
11-26-2016, 10:50 AM
I had to do some texting and emailing during the game and I still saw the crappy calls. What's the time limit for not moving on a screen? 30 seconds?

The correct answer is 30 seconds, or until the shot clock expires, whichever is longer.

JPtheBeasta
11-26-2016, 01:24 PM
Dickie V prides himself on not questioning calls (Duke games dont count), & he questioned two on us.

Says it all.

With all the emphasis of 'protecting the offensive player', oretty certain everyone was shocked at those two offensive fouls called on NWG.

Not to mention Silas' perfect defense called against, but exact same play for Florida on other end.

Watched Iowa St-Miami, & Quinnipiac-Seton Hall, & they were just as questionable.

The announcers for those games were in shock at some of the calls.

Early season officiating at its all time worst. Some have an agenda while others letting them play.

The rules committee adding/changing rules every year i stead of every decade causing confusion & chaos.

Dumb.

And it seems to me that these "points of emphasis" that confuse the players and disrupt the game in the early season go out the window come March, anyway. It's pointless and just makes for some really bad early season game experiences, in my opinion.

gonzagafan62
11-26-2016, 01:39 PM
Hold on, isn't hosing a relative term? Can two angels on the head of a pin get equally hosed?

They did get screwed on the time at the end. I'll give them that much lol

ProVeeZag
11-26-2016, 02:14 PM
They did get screwed on the time at the end. I'll give them that much lol

Yes, but in essence Florida got an extra timeout to go over their strategy while the refs sorted out the time issues. I believe the Gators had used all of their timeouts prior to that, so they directly benefited from that "brain fart" by the official timer and ensuing lengthy stoppage of play. It's possible this is one of the "observations" Few made to the refs.

doctorzag
11-26-2016, 02:18 PM
The call where they said Perkins foot was on the baseline was crazy. It wasn`t even close.

Hoopaholic
11-26-2016, 04:46 PM
Yes, but in essence Florida got an extra timeout to go over their strategy while the refs sorted out the time issues. I believe the Gators had used all of their timeouts prior to that, so they directly benefited from that "brain fart" by the official timer and ensuing lengthy stoppage of play. It's possible this is one of the "observations" Few made to the refs.

This is a pet peeve of mine
I think they should mandate teams huddle opposite their bench at free throw line

JPtheBeasta
11-26-2016, 07:02 PM
The call where they said Perkins foot was on the baseline was crazy. It wasn`t even close.

I've never seen anything like it.

Bogozags
11-27-2016, 04:15 AM
haha enjoy your adult beverages lol. I wonder what it was that caused mark few to have such a demeanor of utter disdain and complete disgust for that reff that was on his sideline after the game clock time issue with like 14 seconds to go in game and Jordan Mathews at the FT line, Mark Few looked like there was more incompetence taking place from the reff at that moment. I wonder what the issue was

The white ref with the white hair and the black ref both made horrible calls all night...

The one Coach Few was so upset with at the end of the game, is when the black ref called a touch foul on the guy guarding Matthews. The problem with this call is that Matthews DID NOT HAVE THE BALL! The ball had already been passed to Melson and I am pretty sure that was the argument as we could see Coach Few "explaining that official's error!" The correct call should have been called an Intentional Foul, because the player didn't have possession of the ball, meaning two shots and the ball back...

Also, Tille was perfectly still on that bad pick call; however, Collins and several Florida players were moving, sliding their hips into the ball handler. Many were not called but that was a truly bad call.

This "referee team" was just horrible and the other white ref has to take the heat as well because of association...

We were able to overcome these bad calls and came back to win a very tough game...

raise the zag
11-27-2016, 05:25 AM
is it the same refs today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07zYvkNYL8

hondo
11-27-2016, 05:58 AM
I was in row 4 mid court and the reffing was even worse than described above. Voicing my opinion at the time has left me with almost no voice at all today.

willandi
11-27-2016, 07:38 AM
I was in row 4 mid court and the reffing was even worse than described above. Voicing my opinion at the time has left me with almost no voice at all today.

Remember...a rolled up program becomes a megaphone!

JPtheBeasta
11-27-2016, 10:01 AM
This is a pet peeve of mine
I think they should mandate teams huddle opposite their bench at free throw line

That's a great idea.

sittingon50
11-27-2016, 11:41 AM
They let 'em play today. Thought it was a huge improvement.