PDA

View Full Version : Way to persevere Jonathan Williams III - All Tourney

demian
11-25-2016, 10:18 PM
Big shout out to that young man. He had one of the toughest 2 and a half game stretches to start a season with a new program that I have ever witnessed an athlete have to endure. I never saw him stop hustling, I never saw him show poor body language (like I saw tonight out of a different GU player) but he just kept working hard even though things were obviously not going in his favor. Exploded in the 3rd game of season and then tonight was TOUGH AS NAILS and worked hard and battled that awesome post player for Florida who was very athletic and big and explosive, of course hit some great mid range jumpers off the bounce and finished well around the rim. VERY PROUD OF YOU JWIII, way to persevere.

GrizZAG
11-25-2016, 10:30 PM
++1

Goshzagit
11-25-2016, 10:31 PM
The game has come to him. Just took him awhile to settle in and find his role.

Terrific hustle, heart, motor. Even the game he was fouling out or turning it over, never once changed his expression or body language. Just as you mentioned.

We need his type of toughness and humility and blue collar mindset.

If you watch replay of tonight's game, watch JW3 work underneath. Notice how Collins began floating on perimeter and backing out of the paint?

It was a war zone in there! Nasty. Elbows, pushing, clawing, scratching, bodying up, etc. With or without the ball JW3 never let up. His was POG for what he did with the ball and how he battled underneath.

Many don't realize a rebound is usually decided before a shot ever goes up, as body position is key. Also, to find open space to receive a pass takes effort/strength/toughness.

He is averaging 16 ppg, 5 rpg last 3 outings.

Really a saving grace. Not just on stat sheet, but the presence brings underneath. Just as Tommy mentioned, Collins was a little hesitant to battle vs their length and strength...JW3 wore them out by game's end. The same guy Collins and Tillie, even Karno on occasion avoided, JW3 went at him.

Really a hero for us this season. Really key he stays healthy. Without him, we become a soft team up front. Skilled and sized, but not feared.

Hoopaholic
11-25-2016, 10:34 PM

Terrific hustle, heart, motor. Even the game he was fouling out or turning it over, never once changed his expression or body language. Just as you mentioned.

If you watch replay of tonight's game, watch JW3 work underneath. Notice how Collins began floating on perimeter and backing out of the paint?

It was a war zone in there! Nasty. Elbows, pushing, clawing, scratching, bodying up, etc. With or without the ball JW3 never let up. His was POG for what he did with the ball and how he battled underneath.

Many don't realize a rebound is usually decided before a shot ever goes up, as body position is key. Also, to find open space to receive a pass takes effort/strength/toughness.

Really a saving grace. Not just on stat sheet, but the presence brings underneath. Just as Tommy mentioned, Collins was a little hesitant to battle vs their length and strength...JW3 wore them out by game's end. The same guy Collins and Tillie, even Karno on occasion avoided, JW3 went at him.

Really a hero for us this season. Really key he stays healthy. Without him, we become a soft team up front. Skilled and sized, but not feared.

He brings our much needed nastiness

demian
11-25-2016, 10:48 PM

AWESOME post by you Goshzagit. I agree with everything you said. I love that you mentioned his humility. I love that you mentioned his willingness to BLOCK OUT on defensive rebounds and push, claw, BODYING UP etc etc, it was pretty cool to see him keep battling with as you said "the same guy who some of our other bigs wanted to avoid". We are absolutely gonna need a post player with some nastiness to him who is willing to bang and get "messy, ugly, nasty".

demian
11-25-2016, 10:49 PM
He brings our much needed nastiness

I agree hoopaholic he is a nasty type of player which we need.

Hoopaholic
11-25-2016, 10:51 PM
I agree hoopaholic he is a nasty type of player which we need.

But with very little emotion so it's deceivingly devilish and I love it

demian
11-25-2016, 10:53 PM
But with very little emotion so it's deceivingly devilish and I love it

haha great description

MontanaCoyote
11-26-2016, 07:50 AM

YES! Noted on another thread how sneaky good JW is underneath. Like you said, real tough, too. Me thinks "Tough Enough!"

MontanaCoyote
11-26-2016, 07:53 AM
AWESOME post by you Goshzagit. I agree with everything you said. I love that you mentioned his humility. I love that you mentioned his willingness to BLOCK OUT on defensive rebounds and push, claw, BODYING UP etc etc, it was pretty cool to see him keep battling with as you said "the same guy who some of our other bigs wanted to avoid". We are absolutely gonna need a post player with some nastiness to him who is willing to bang and get "messy, ugly, nasty".

A Sweet Street Player!

jazzdelmar
11-26-2016, 08:03 AM
A Sweet Street Player!

Now, how would someone from wonderful Big Sky Country know that?

Hoopaholic
11-26-2016, 08:39 AM

They have streets in Montana........just not much paving:roll:

bballbeachbum
11-26-2016, 09:14 AM
Williams III paving the way. he is pretty darn skilled to go with his toughness. that one play in the post, patiently pivoting and faking, finally getting a crease and finishing with his off hand, showed a lot on that one

jazzdelmar
11-26-2016, 09:42 AM

I know. Been there. Many many times. Love Missoula. And Whitefish. Still, they don't actually play ON the street in the Big Apple.

bartruff1
11-26-2016, 09:59 AM
It is not far from Missoula or Whitefish to Montana....not far at all..;)

john montana
11-26-2016, 10:05 AM
I know. Been there. Many many times. Love Missoula. And Whitefish. Still, they don't actually play ON the street in the Big Apple.

Born in Missoula, raised in whitefish...I miss whitefish. Great town. Gu grad and baseball star Julio Delgado coached there for many years...still the guy I would call if I ever find myself in a jail cell in Mexico.

RRZagFan
11-26-2016, 10:14 AM
I also was born and raised in Whitefish ,because of Julio and my former little leauge teammate
Billy Walker(GU baseball) are part of the reasons I became zags fan. As far as JW3, so glad he didn't let the first couple of games get him down, love his energy, keep chopping wood young man

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Williams III paving the way. he is pretty darn skilled to go with his toughness. that one play in the post, patiently pivoting and faking, finally getting a crease and finishing with his off hand, showed a lot on that one

Exactly! Prior to last night's game I wondered if JWIII was more comfortable 10-15 feet from the hoop rather than in the low post. Now we know he has fantastic post moves, can score with either hand against bigger defender and has a sweet, confident jump shot. Very very impressed with JWIII!

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-26-2016, 05:51 PM

We played on gravel roads where I grew up. Highway 93 was one of the few paved roads in the valley.

MontanaCoyote
11-26-2016, 08:03 PM
I also was born and raised in Whitefish ,because of Julio and my former little leauge teammate
Billy Walker(GU baseball) are part of the reasons I became zags fan. As far as JW3, so glad he didn't let the first couple of games get him down, love his energy, keep chopping wood young man

Stay tuned. Just accidentally erased the answer. Will send tomorrow pre game.

MontanaCoyote
11-27-2016, 09:31 AM

OK, Zag for Life, jazzdelmar......whom ever and where ever you are; Montana Coyote is an ancient Seattle University
grad and gym rat who thought he was a fair to middling BB player right up to the first time he rubbed shoulders with the likes of street players (asphalt athletes) like Elgin Baylor (DC) , Eddie Miles (North Little Rock, Arkansas) and many other
starting players on some very good and nationally ranked teams. As you know, things were much more casual back then, which allowed for some special gym times for dreamers like me.

At any rate, I learned real quick about how good, sneaky, "create on the go" these asphalt athletes were. I actually became a friendly joke because any number of them caught on that they could.....to my face....on the go .....on the court.....tell me what they were going to do to me with a move then......dammit, do it .......like it was nothin'.

JW III brought back those memories. He just seems to come up and out of traffic and do cool stuff......like it was nothin'!

That's about it. Forgot hoops, hit the books. Now in Montana going on 50 years. So, "Hello" to all my fellow Montana Zag
fans who chipped in on your post.

PS still loyal to SU and remember some fine SU v Gonzaga games. Now pull hard for both.

GoZags
11-27-2016, 10:01 PM
Big shout out to that young man. He had one of the toughest 2 and a half game stretches to start a season with a new program that I have ever witnessed an athlete have to endure. I never saw him stop hustling, I never saw him show poor body language (like I saw tonight out of a different GU player) but he just kept working hard even though things were obviously not going in his favor. Exploded in the 3rd game of season and then tonight was TOUGH AS NAILS and worked hard and battled that awesome post player for Florida who was very athletic and big and explosive, of course hit some great mid range jumpers off the bounce and finished well around the rim. VERY PROUD OF YOU JWIII, way to persevere.

Johnathan was named to the All Tourney Team in Orlando, joining Nigel Williams-Goss (MVP), Deonte Burton of ISU, Dorian Pickens of Stanford and KeVaugn Allen of Florida.
Nicely done. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/nov/27/williams-goss-named-mvp/

demian
11-27-2016, 10:44 PM
Johnathan was named to the All Tourney Team in Orlando, joining Nigel Williams-Goss (MVP), Deonte Burton of ISU, Dorian Pickens of Stanford and KeVaugn Allen of Florida.
Nicely done. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/nov/27/williams-goss-named-mvp/

Proud of that young man

jazzdelmar
11-28-2016, 04:28 AM
JW is a sneaky star.

Coach Crazy
11-28-2016, 05:24 AM
Like I said, hope he keeps at the post game. As long as he isn't turning over the ball, I can live with missed shots that we can rebound. Come March, it would be great for him to have a serviceable post game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RenoZag
03-26-2017, 12:32 PM

Great call, Gosh.

john montana
03-26-2017, 12:41 PM

Whitefish Jazz? That is my hometown. I was fortunate enough to play basketball for former gonzaga baseball great Julio Delgado. Easily the best coach I have ever played for. I do love that town!

zag buddy
03-26-2017, 02:20 PM
He would have been my choice for MVP.

Birddog
03-26-2017, 02:27 PM
He would have been my choice for MVP.

JW3 was MOP of the West regional was he not?

jazzdelmar
03-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Whitefish Jazz? That is my hometown. I was fortunate enough to play basketball for former gonzaga baseball great Julio Delgado. Easily the best coach I have ever played for. I do love that town!

Just a quick visit after a week at Lake McDonald Lodge. And before flying home from kalispell, now that's an ugly town how many used car lots can one tiny town need anyway? In whitefish we had a delightful lunch at some coffee shop right in the middle of the town.

Zagceo
03-26-2017, 02:53 PM
How bout the rebound 3 got with one shoe off!

Zagceo
03-26-2017, 10:21 PM
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag58/Corey_Olson/IMG_5218_zps32fdqbbl.jpg