• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Post game Radio-GU-UF

Hudson: GU rallies for 77-72 win. A couple ties early but for the most part GU played catch up all during the 1st half. They finally tied the game at 41. An 18-4 run put the Zags up for good. The big putback for Collins was huge late in the game. Zags shot 52% for the game, holding UF to 37% and 2-19 from three. GU hit 7-16 making up for the 22 points to 10 from the free throw line for UF. Perkins, Williams, Melson and Williams-Goss in double figures. UF also had 4 in double figures. 6 ties in game and only one lead change when Zags took the lead in the second half. Zags win rebounds 38-34. Zags with 24 fouls, UF with 17.

Nice contingent of Zag fans to go with a lot of UF fans. Nice atmosphere. UF is fast and strong and it took Zags 17-18 minutes to get comfortable with the play. Perkins was big time tonight leading GU with 18 points. Another huge night for J-3. Melson with big night off the bench knocked down the big shot to give the Zags their first lea at 60-57. Melson 12 pts. 4 rebounds.

Tommy Lloyd: Speed, athleticism and strength of UF. UF had 3 guards that really pressured us. We were a lot like Baylor today. It took us a while to adjust. This is a big win for our program. I don't remember many games when we had 3 guys foul out and we still won. Tremendous effort by our guys. You need to be tested in the early season and we were. Only good things can come from this. Some guys struggled early but they finished strong. When you have the depth we have it's not going to be you night every night. Collins was a little wide eyed against that defensive kid from UF. My Gosh, but Collins made the big play. Lots of things to really learn from here.

Melson: It's really fun to play a high level game like this this early. It felt like March. It was a gut check. Perkins and Nigel were the only ones who played well in the first half. We had to look at ourselves in the mirror at halftime and then we had to dig deep. We have a lot of talent. It could be anybody's night on any given day. I heard some Zag fans cheering up there. It was really nice.

Added stat: No one who played had more the 6 rebounds, no one who played had fewer than three. Few shortened the bench tonight, only 8 played.
  • Radbooks
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2007

Thanks for the report!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Thanks Section 116. Really appreciate these summaries you post for us.
      Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• demian
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Feb 2007

thanks as always Section 116

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
          Zag for Life
          • Apr 2007

Thanks 116.
          Great to hear Melson gave Zag fans some props for cheering loud.

Comment

Working...
          X