PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game - Florida - 11. 25. 2016

RenoZag
11-25-2016, 08:14 PM
It was time to break out the antacids. . .It was an ugly "W" but Zag Nation is breathing a big sigh of relief as the Bulldogs escape with a hard-fought win against an quick, athletic Florida Gators squad, 77 - 72.

GU will square off on Sunday against the Iowa State Cyclones at 10:30 PT / 1:30 ET on ESPN.

Who gets your ballot as the Player of the Game ?

BOX SCORE: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=151329

bballbeachbum
11-25-2016, 08:16 PM
Williams

willandi
11-25-2016, 08:18 PM
Williams had a great game, but...I give it to Melson for the 2nd half threes and clutch FT's.

Birddog
11-25-2016, 08:19 PM
Had to go with Williams, but there were great minutes from Perkins, Melson and Tillie

billyberu
Williams was our only big who could score and he did in multiple ways. Melson had some clutch 3's and he hit his ft's at the end and Perkins racked up some stats too. I'm going with Williams.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

TacomaZAG
JWIII, no doubt................not the guy in the ZAG shirt sitting behind the announcers!!

Perkins shot well, handled it poorly.............

Melson was impressive on both ends.

Welcome to college basketball Collins and Tillie. Good learning experience for both of them.

Good lunch pail win.

Go ZAGS

CDC84
11-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Williams. As I said after his first game, sometimes you need to allow a talented transfer a few games to get going. It's the first time he has been under the lights in awhile.

TexasZagFan
11-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Williams had a great game, but...I give it to Melson for the 2nd half threes and clutch FT's.
+1
Silas scored 8 straight points to give us the lead.

cggonzaga
11-25-2016, 08:21 PM
Had to go with Williams, but there were great minutes from Perkins, Melson and Tillie

Spot on Birddog. Very impressive win despite playing two opponents tonight!

TexasZagFan
11-25-2016, 08:23 PM
Florida was 2-19 from 3 point...ouch

ProVeeZag
11-25-2016, 08:23 PM
I went with Williams, clutch shooting including a couple of 10 foot jumpers. Honorable mention to Melson for timely buckets when we needed them. To have 3 men foul out and hold on for the "W" says volumes about our depth!

NEC26
11-25-2016, 08:24 PM
I voted Melson but Williams had a great game too. Perkins would be in the discussion if it wasn't for so many turnovers. Holy smokes that was ridiculous.

Mantua
11-25-2016, 08:25 PM
Williams!

Kudos to Perkins, Melson and Tillie for their spirit and toughness under pressure and Dickie V's obnoxious mentions of the entire West Coast as if it were the bargain basement of basketball.

VinnyZag
11-25-2016, 08:29 PM
I went with Perkins, who was the only reason the Zags stayed in the game in the first half. Without him they might've been run out of the gym before they even knew what happened.

LongIslandZagFan
I am going with Josh... honestly, when the whole last part of the first half where it looked like the Zags were going to collapse... he kept them in the game.

DixieZag
JWIII, no doubt................not the guy in the ZAG shirt sitting behind the announcers!!

Welcome to college basketball Collins and Tillie. Good learning experience for both of them.

Good lunch pail win.

Go ZAGS

I think Collins made the most important shot. I honestly think that his dunk off the rebound kept us above water, had Florida gotten a stop there and then scored back down the floor, I'm not sure we contain Florida and their officials.

jazzdelmar
11-25-2016, 08:30 PM
Josh kept Zags in same zip code in first half.

Zagricultural
11-25-2016, 08:30 PM
I went with Perkins, who was the only reason the Zags stayed in the game in the first half. Without him they might've been run out of the gym before they even knew what happened.

Exactly. He had 15 of the first 30 points.

demian
11-25-2016, 08:31 PM
JWIII. Melson a close second.

TexasZagFan
11-25-2016, 08:31 PM
Williams!

Kudos to Perkins, Melson and Tillie for their spirit and toughness under pressure and Dickie V's obnoxious mentions of the entire West Coast as if it were the bargain basement of basketball.

I heard a rumor that half of the coaches in the WCC went crazy today at Black Friday sales, they just got their cut of the NCAA money from the WCC. :lmao:

They sure aren't spending it on improving their programs... :explode:

zag buddy
11-25-2016, 08:34 PM
Williams last two games made 22 of 25 shots I believe.

RenoZag
11-25-2016, 08:35 PM

You sure about that ?

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58105-Future-Zag-on-Tonights-Broadcast

NotoriousZ
11-25-2016, 08:35 PM

Good lunch pail win.

Go ZAGS

+1

I bet the guys get extra work on their sceen setting in practice tomorrow.

What a great win though. The only question mark for me thus far this year was how would they hold up in a tight game against a quality team. And that was answered. Melson was huge...love that guy! Perkins too, and JW3 with the g-unit,

Birddog
11-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Box score
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400926727

kitzbuel
11-25-2016, 08:36 PM

Went with Perkins as well. Zags really played poorly except for Josh in that first half.

jazzdelmar
11-25-2016, 08:38 PM
Gotta get Mathews untracked. The missing piece now that JW is online.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-25-2016, 08:39 PM
I went with Perkins. His clutch shots late in the first half kept the team alive when everything else was falling apart.

ZagNative
11-25-2016, 08:40 PM
I went with Perkins. His clutch shots late in the first half kept the team alive when everything else was falling apart.Me too! My eyes were drawn to him whenever he was on the court. He really brought an energy to the floor.

Outraged
11-25-2016, 08:40 PM
I went with Perkins but it was a coin toss with Williams. Impressed with Tillie he is going to be something special. Karo had that Florida mountain needing an oxygen mask.

We consistently start games badly but no one is breathing hard or loose there legs I. The second half. A little more discipline and we're there.

ProVeeZag
11-25-2016, 08:41 PM
Gotta get Mathews untracked. The missing piece now that JW is online.

Yep, #4 had a rough shooting night. Had to cool off at some point though after the torrid run he was on. Melson picked up the slack from the trey-line!

gonzagafan62
11-25-2016, 08:44 PM
Williams.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-25-2016, 08:44 PM

Perkins gets my vote too

GonzaGAW
11-25-2016, 08:45 PM
I went with jw3

first I think he deserves it

second I have to apologize to the young man, after the first 3 possessions of turnover, block and offensive foul, I was screaming for few to take him out (which he did) and said an unkind word or two. really jw I apologize, that was not nice of me, you are working hard, you are a zag, that makes you family. hope you will forgive this member of the family.

bartruff1
11-25-2016, 08:48 PM

me to

Jakester425
11-25-2016, 08:49 PM
I had the opportunity to sit next to JW3's parents at the game. Loved how physical he played tonight.

Zagceo
11-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Tommy Lloyd said Collins was playing a little "wide eyed" against Florida .......but came up big with put back at crucial time.

Mantua
11-25-2016, 08:56 PM
I had the opportunity to sit next to JW3's parents at the game. Loved how physical he played tonight.

I hope his parents were proud. We're lucky to have him at GU.

CanadianZagsFan
11-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Went with Perkins. Love how he plays with no fear against big programs/athletic teams. That's something I always remember as a coach about certain players, and I bet Few does too.

GU don't win that game without his brilliant first half. He's limiting mistakes too. Bad bounce pass into the post at JW3 feet, but he's really limiting the mental mistakes so far this year and end of the year last season.

Idahozag10
11-25-2016, 09:24 PM
i voted nigel williams goss. seems to me he is the guy that keeps us going. he's a great defender and makes the right plays on offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoopaholic
11-25-2016, 09:38 PM
i voted nigel williams goss. seems to me he is the guy that keeps us going. he's a great defender and makes the right plays on offense.

We watched a different game

Our second half push to catch and take the lead was with Goss on bench for 7 minute stretch

Hoopaholic
11-25-2016, 09:41 PM
Williams for me

Perkins close but with 4 TO's just can't do it

Goshzagit
11-25-2016, 09:48 PM
We watched a different game.

Our second half push to catch and take the lead was with Goss on bench for 7 minute stretch

As my buddy perfectly stated & texted me during the game:

"Offense seemed to be flowing with Perk and Silas w/o Goss. Yet we can't go anywhere without Goss".

Makes a ton of sense in so few words.

NWG is incredibly important, a triple double waiting to happen. Such an important piece and key to this team's success/future.

However, that is two games are offense was seamless as a unit with him on the bench. I question playing Perks & NWG at same time. They both need 30 mins per game. Our best guards, but we should split them up more.

When it was Silas & Goss first couple games, great. Then Perks & Silas much better again. Our offense slows down when they play side by side.

A good problem to have but wonder about rotations.

I dont feel our best offensive flow, shot selection, & tempo is NWG, Perks, & Mathews.

Rather mixing and matching our two lead guards.

Hoopaholic
11-25-2016, 09:49 PM
As my buddy perfectly stated & texted me during the game:

"Offense seemed to flowing with Perk and Silas w/o Goss. Yet we can't go anywhere without Goss".

Makes a ton of sense in so few words.

NWG is incredibly important, a triple double waiting to happen. Such an important piece and key to this team's success/future.

However, that is two games are offense was seamless as a unit with him on the bench. I question playing Perks & NWG at same time. They both need 30 mins per game. Our best guards, but we should split them up more.

When it was Silas & Goss first couple games, great. Then Perks & Silas much better again. Our offense slows down when they play side by side.

A good problem to have but wonder about rotations.

I dont feel our best offensive flow, shot selection, & tempo is NWG, Perks, & Mathews.

Rather mixing and matching our two lead guards.

He is still trying to do too much instead of letting the flow of the offense dictate results

MDABE80
11-25-2016, 09:51 PM
Josh is quickly developing into a superior 1-2 guard. Still no real bad handles tonight. He gets my vote.

Chicken Ball
11-25-2016, 09:57 PM
Perkins. He was the one who kept us in the game in the first half and actually got us into our offense in the second. TOs notwithstanding, Perkins was the floor general we needed.

maynard g krebs
11-25-2016, 11:45 PM

Same here.

Reborn
11-25-2016, 11:46 PM
GREAT GAME. imo 5 players could get this acknowledgement of POG. THEY EACH ADDED SOME HUGE PLAYS THAT LED TO THIS VICTORY. In the best of games going down the backstretch and heading for home is the most important part of the game. Silas broke out of his shooting slump just in time as he made 2 threes and a nice pull-up jumper in the lane to help the Zags get their first lead and the pull away and leave Florida behind in our dust.

Zagger
11-26-2016, 02:33 AM

I went with Perks too. TOs were ugly all around. I could just have easily voted for JW3 or Melson but Perkins salvaged the 1st half. I greatly admire how tenacious Williams is near the basket. I also really like how Melson has become a dependable force on the floor.

gozagswoohoo
11-26-2016, 03:59 AM
I'm breaking the rules.

First half GUnit- Perkins
Second half GUnit- Williams III

Perkins looked like an assassin our there during his stretch. That's exciting...

gonstu
11-26-2016, 06:25 AM
I'll break the rules too Woohoo - I vote Few! I think he straightened things out at half time and kept the team believing.

hooter73
11-26-2016, 07:20 AM
Gunit to me is never about stats. Perkins kept us in it in the first which allowed Williams to take charge in the second. Coin flip.

Zaglaw
11-26-2016, 07:33 AM
First half GUnit- Perkins
Second half GUnit- Williams III

My thoughts exactly, so I gave it to Perkins. JW3 wouldn't have had a chance to do his thing without Perkins keeping us in it in the first half. Need some work on TOs, though.

TacomaZAG
11-26-2016, 07:39 AM
You sure about that ?

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58105-Future-Zag-on-Tonights-Broadcast

Well............the guy behind the announcers looked pretty athletic.............

Seriously, though, without JWIII last night the game is a loss. Perkins and Melson played well but JWIII was the key to the win.

Go ZAGS