PDA

View Full Version : Who defends Florida's [trio] of wings?

raise the zag
11-25-2016, 07:21 AM
They have (3) wings. Two are 6'8" and play SF/CF, and the 3rd plays SG/SF and is 6'6" (leading scorer).

They average 11 ppg, 6 rpg; 15 ppg, 4 rpg; and 8 ppg, 5 rpg.

Two come off the bench. This is the match-up they will try to exploit. Long, length, aggressive wings who drive/slash the lane. They play off their one really big Center and their top recruit PG (14 ppg).

My question is who defends this trio??

My thought is JW3 is an underrated perimeter defender. Put him on their #1 option, then Silas Melson on the other. Silas can play/defend taller than his 6'3" frame given his 40+" vertical. Their SG will be a problem. He is undeniable aggressive, tries to draw a foul every time he touches the ball.

We need Karno to stay out of foul trouble and to continue his tremendous post defense. They have a 6'11", 260lb Center who looks like he could lift a house. Karno can neutralize him.

I have a feeling our guards step up their offense, yet biggest concern is defense along the wing. Florida's specialty is their slashing style offense with 6'8" dudes with 7' wing spans.

Thoughts?

willandi
11-25-2016, 07:27 AM
Can we get Kafusi suited up in time?

There must be a reason that the Zags are ranked and they are not. How do they defend our shooters AND our interior? Zags have a deeper team AND a taller team.

Mantua
11-25-2016, 07:58 AM
We only had one block last night and that was from Melson. The front court players need to focus on defense against Florida.

willandi
11-25-2016, 08:13 AM
Outscore them and it's a moot question.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-25-2016, 08:20 AM
I wish Norvell was healthy for this game. Sigh...

LongIslandZagFan
11-25-2016, 08:44 AM
Zags have 6 players averaging double digits and 2 more averaging almost 8. Question is more along the lines of how does Florida defend? Gut says they play man.. Zags shoot well from behind the arc so don't expect a tremendous amount of zone.

willandi
11-25-2016, 09:17 AM
Can we get Kafusi suited up in time?

There must be a reason that the Zags are ranked and they are not. How do they defend our shooters AND our interior? Zags have a deeper team AND a taller team.

Zags have 6 players averaging double digits and 2 more averaging almost 8. Question is more along the lines of how does Florida defend? Gut says they play man.. Zags shoot well from behind the arc so don't expect a tremendous amount of zone.

exactly

btzag
11-25-2016, 09:52 AM
I really like the mobility of jw3 and Tillie at the 4 defensively. And Nwg and Melson on the wing should be able to hold their own. Interested to see Matthews against a big wing but hopefully his experience will help him out. Might end up seeing lots of zone to see how they handle that.

Markburn1
11-25-2016, 10:47 AM
I expect to see lots of zone. Florida is an average to poor shooting team. The only player with significant minutes that has decent numbers as far as percentages is Devin Robinson. He's shooting 60% overall and 45% from three. He's shooting well now but history suggests that he will revert to more pedestrian numbers. Last year he shot 45% overall (not Bad) and 34% from three. The only other player that would worry me from long range is Leon. He will probably get more minutes than normal if the Zags play a lot of zone. The rest of the team is 33% or less from three. Barry, their second leading scorer thinks he can make long range jumpers like his dad used to and shoots them up at a volume clip. I would contest but I don't think he'll be an issue from deep. Watching the game yesterday, Florida did most of their damage with dribble penetration. The zone should negate that to a certain extent. Also, they don't share the ball with any frequency. Only 11 assists per game. Stop their initial move to the basket and contest their shots and I believe the Zags will hold them under 40%. Key will be defensive rebounding. Rebounding from a zone defense is always considered difficult. The announcers will ALWAYS let you know what a problem this is. It is different than rebounding in man defense, but if it is taught correctly it is actually fairly easy to negate the perceived advantage the offense has. In zone, instead of immediately turning around and attacking the rim when a shot goes up, you have to face up to the offensive player crashing the board and just get in the way to slow him down. This is especially true for the guards. It's more of a team effort on the boards. If done correctly it's not unusual to see a rebound hit the floor before a defensive guy picks it up. Coaches are delirious with joy when that happens. I wouldn't be surprised to see Melson and Williams-Goss with 6-8 rebounds apiece.

If they play hungry and with intensity from the opening tip, I see the Zags winning what would be a game that would be a "swagger" building contest. A real confidence builder.

gonzagafan62
11-25-2016, 11:17 AM
Outscore them and it's a moot question.

That's my thought.

maynard g krebs
11-25-2016, 11:25 AM
I expect to see lots of zone. Florida is an average to poor shooting team. The only player with significant minutes that has decent numbers as far as percentages is Devin Robinson. He's shooting 60% overall and 45% from three. He's shooting well now but history suggests that he will revert to more pedestrian numbers. Last year he shot 45% overall (not Bad) and 34% from three. The only other player that would worry me from long range is Leon. He will probably get more minutes than normal if the Zags play a lot of zone. The rest of the team is 33% or less from three. Barry, their second leading scorer thinks he can make long range jumpers like his dad used to and shoots them up at a volume clip. I would contest but I don't think he'll be an issue from deep. Watching the game yesterday, Florida did most of their damage with dribble penetration. The zone should negate that to a certain extent. Also, they don't share the ball with any frequency. Only 11 assists per game. Stop their initial move to the basket and contest their shots and I believe the Zags will hold them under 40%. Key will be defensive rebounding. Rebounding from a zone defense is always considered difficult. The announcers will ALWAYS let you know what a problem this is. It is different than rebounding in man defense, but if it is taught correctly it is actually fairly easy to negate the perceived advantage the offense has. In zone, instead of immediately turning around and attacking the rim when a shot goes up, you have to face up to the offensive player crashing the board and just get in the way to slow him down. This is especially true for the guards. It's more of a team effort on the boards. If done correctly it's not unusual to see a rebound hit the floor before a defensive guy picks it up. Coaches are delirious with joy when that happens. I wouldn't be surprised to see Melson and Williams-Goss with 6-8 rebounds apiece.

If they play hungry and with intensity from the opening tip, I see the Zags winning what would be a game that would be a "swagger" building contest. A real confidence builder.

As others have said, it would be great if you would post more often. Thanks.

Markburn1
11-25-2016, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the kind words, maynard.

I'll try to post more, but.....

Everyone watches the game differently. I don't want to bore people that watch the game more from a fan's perspective than a coach's perspective. There is a certain beauty to watching and reading from a more technical viewpoint . Sometimes it helps to know why things are happening or not happening. But, I understand there are more people that watch to see amazing talent and to live and die with their team. And that's more than cool, too.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the kind words, maynard.

I'll try to post more, but.....

Everyone watches the game differently. I don't want to bore people that watch the game more from a fan's perspective than a coach's perspective. There is a certain beauty to watching and reading from a more technical viewpoint . Sometimes it helps to know why things are happening or not happening. But, I understand there are more people that watch to see amazing talent and to live and die with their team. And that's more than cool, too.

Your perspective is quite informed. Please share it.

Goshzagit
11-25-2016, 03:37 PM
Would have been an awesome luxury to have Jeremy Jone available tonight.

Just to defend Florida's array of 6'8" wings.

Mathews and Silas will have an incredibly difficult time staying in front of these guys all game long.

Unless, as Markburn mentioned, Zags go zone for good portion. I'd expect them to given Florida's mixed shooting results, yet they shot pretty well last night.

That Barry kid plays with constant desperation all game. Will shoot or drive every single time he touches the ball. We will see endless clips of his Parents all game long.

bballbeachbum
11-25-2016, 04:47 PM

hey Markburn1, good to meet you, nice post. interestingly the Zags have rebounded pretty well out of the zone this season but not against a team like the Gators with their length and athleticism. the problem in zone rebounding can often be the weakside, the weakside wing defender has got to do work in there, and the long rebounds after forcing tough jumpers can be a scramble so I hope you're right about Melson and NGWs board numbers, would be sweet. and that excellent box out technique you described works well in M2M too!

edit: another thought on boarding is that in M2M you've got your man right there, he's easier to find and check. sometimes in a zone there are lanes to the rim that cannot be checked because no defender is near the guy to check him so slashing leapers can find some room. and if you're doubling out of the zone and not sagging, there can be an offensive player unaccounted for and/or mismatched on a smaller player inside battling for the rebound so again like you're saying, guard rebounding numbers are huge tonight

titopoet
11-25-2016, 04:56 PM
We only had one block last night and that was from Melson. The front court players need to focus on defense against Florida.

Hey anyone seeing Seton Hall getting all it handle from Quinnipiac. Time to ask who on the gators can handle the Zags frontcourt. Hint... no one.

ProVeeZag
11-25-2016, 05:36 PM

Good stuff here. I'll be watching for these very things when/if Zags play zone tonight. Can't wait for this one!

Birddog
11-25-2016, 07:06 PM
Who defends Florida's [trio] of wings?
Pretty obviously, nobody.

TheZagPhish
11-25-2016, 07:09 PM

Dunk contest blues.

btzag
11-25-2016, 08:35 PM

Hahaha you post too soon!