PDA

View Full Version : LET'S TALK ABOUT THE ADVO CARE TOURNAMENT

Reborn
11-21-2016, 08:18 AM
The Advo Care Tournament begins THURSDAY. It will be the first big test for the Zags.
Gonzaga will start out with Quinnipiac. They shouldn't have a problem at all. They would then play the winner of Seton Hall vs Florida. IN the recent Power Rankings both teams are ranked in top 25. FLORIDA 11, AND Seton Hall 23. Playing either of these teams will present a big challenge for the Zags. IF we win we will play either Miami vs Stanford winner, and Iowa State vs Indiana St winner. As you can see the Zags will have 2 real good games.

All of the teams accept Quinnipiac are undefeated.

gonzagafan62
11-21-2016, 08:52 AM
I think we make the championship game. Not sure we'd win it but I'm feeling confident so far

gonstu
11-21-2016, 08:55 AM
I think we make the championship game. Not sure we'd win it but I'm feeling confident so far

2nd game could be tougher than 3rd game

Reborn
11-21-2016, 09:24 AM
I Like Gonzaga's chances to win the tournament, but it won't be easy. We have seen how talented the Zags are now, and the good news is that we have also seen how well they are playing together. It's been so nice to have seen these guys play 3 games together now. I am so impressed with our post players. Karnowski and Collins have played better than I ever expected. Karnowski is a senior and will be the solid, stable force that we always get from our seniors. He will hold his own against any center in college basketball. Collins has been so good. Honestly I'm a little shocked. i knew he was very good, but like most freshmen centers who come to GU, I expected he'd need a year or two. He has the footwork and moves of an experienced player J. Williams played really good recently, so I know he'll be solid. He's RED-SHIRT jUNIOR, AND HAS THE EXPERIENCE OF PLAYING IN A VERY TOUGH CONFERENCE FOR 2 YEARS. And now for TILLIE. I pretty much feel the same way about him as I do about Collins. I'M JUST SO PLEASANTLY SURPRISED. The depth in the post positions is fantastic, and I don't see any team in this tournament who will be as strong as the Zags'.

The stable of guards for the Zags is just as great as our stable of post playrs, imo. THE GUARDS are led by Jonathan Williams-Goss and Josh Perkins. Here are two elite guards who could start for any team in the country. And MATHEWS is much like WILLIAMS, a very experienced player who played in a very tough conference before coming to Gonzaga. Mathews has shown that he can be a very special 3 pt shooter, as is PERKINS. Williams-Goss is a good 3 pt shooter too, but that is certainly not his strength. Silas Melson is a very good sub and definitely adds strength to our team.

I predicted thay the Zags would make the FINAL FOUR this year, even before seeing them play. Now after seeing them play, I have not changed my opinion. They will have some tough games in this tournament, and it'll be good for them, but they will win the tournament imo.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
11-21-2016, 09:41 AM
The AP poll just came out. Zags are 11, Iowa St 21st, Miami is 28, and Florida and Seton Hall 31st and 32nd. This tournament should be very good.

GO Zag's!!!

Mr Vulture
11-21-2016, 09:51 AM
I would be a bit disappointed if we didn't win this tournament just because I think we are the best team. However, outside of Seton Hall whom I don't buy right now, all of the other three are pretty solid teams that I could see us potentially having a bad game against. In any case, like you said, this should be a good test for us and with three wins will really set us up for the season. As long as we don't lose two games we will be fine even.

CDC84
11-21-2016, 10:01 AM
I wonder how many Florida and Miami FLA fans will show up at the tournament??

bartruff1
11-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Beat Quinnipiac...

TexasZagFan
11-21-2016, 10:21 AM
I Like Gonzaga's chances to win the tournament, but it won't be easy. We have seen how talented the Zags are now, and the good news is that we have also seen how well they are playing together. It's been so nice to have seen these guys play 3 games together now. I am so impressed with our post players. Karnowski and Collins have played better than I ever expected. Karnowski is a senior and will be the solid, stable force that we always get from our seniors. He will hold his own against any center in college basketball. Collins has been so good. Honestly I'm a little shocked. i knew he was very good, but like most freshmen centers who come to GU, I expected he'd need a year or two. He has the footwork and moves of an experienced player J. Williams played really good recently, so I know he'll be solid. He's RED-SHIRT jUNIOR, AND HAS THE EXPERIENCE OF PLAYING IN A VERY TOUGH CONFERENCE FOR 2 YEARS. And now for TILLIE. I pretty much feel the same way about him as I do about Collins. I'M JUST SO PLEASANTLY SURPRISED. The depth in the post positions is fantastic, and I don't see any team in this tournament who will be as strong as the Zags'.

The stable of guards for the Zags is just as great as our stable of post playrs, imo. THE GUARDS are led by Jonathan Williams-Goss and Josh Perkins. Here are two elite guards who could start for any team in the country. And MATHEWS is much like WILLIAMS, a very experienced player who played in a very tough conference before coming to Gonzaga. Mathews has shown that he can be a very special 3 pt shooter, as is PERKINS. Williams-Goss is a good 3 pt shooter too, but that is certainly not his strength. Silas Melson is a very good sub and definitely adds strength to our team.

I predicted thay the Zags would make the FINAL FOUR this year, even before seeing them play. Now after seeing them play, I have not changed my opinion. They will have some tough games in this tournament, and it'll be good for them, but they will win the tournament imo.

Go Zags!!!

Regarding Mr. Collins, he's displayed advanced low post skills with outstanding footwork. Let's face it Reborn, almost all of our bigs came to GU as projects.

Zach is no project, as we've seen. His body's probably two years away from being NBA-ready, and I hope he's not drafted by the Mavericks.

Bogozags
11-21-2016, 05:57 PM
I feel confident we win game one and hopefully, we play Florida (Big-5 school) and have success in that game too! In the C/G my gut tells me we will play an under rated Iowa State team that has tons of quickness, with lots of skill. ISU might well have the best PG in the nation as he very seldom turns it over and has tons of confidence playing big games. They are a lot like the SDSU team that beat us at home a few years ago...I am hoping our depth provides us with the needed advantage...

Would really like to see a healthy Zach Norvell play in this tournament...fingers are crossed...

Also TZF agree with you regarding most GU bigs as projects...Harris and Sabonis are the two that come to mind ready to play day one on the block. Collins is a very skilled player, whose skills should assist him at the next level - when he leave after four years...lol

ProVeeZag
11-21-2016, 08:25 PM
Assuming everyone's fit to play, I would be surprised if Zags don't take the Advocare Championship. So, so many offensive weapons ... and the defense is looking potent as well. I like that J Williams III had a breakout game against Bryant (even though against lesser quality opposition) as that should boost his confidence level. Perkins had a dynamite 2nd half. I'm a big Zach Norvelle fan, but honestly don't think there's any reason whatsoever right now to play him until he's totally healthy. Zags should come home from Orlando undefeated at 6-0. :o:o:o

sittingon50
11-21-2016, 09:58 PM
Anyone know if Vegas has pre-tourney odds set up for this one? This is a good looking tourney.

cggonzaga
11-21-2016, 11:13 PM
I'd be surprised if we didn't win every game by 10+. The only way we don't win this tournament is if we beat ourselves.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-22-2016, 01:06 AM
I found a couple of fan boards for some potential opponents.

Seton Hall. https://setonhall.forums.rivals.com/forums/pirate-hoops-chat.14/

Florida. http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/forums/nuttin-but-net.6/

Neither forum has much chatter about this tournament as of yet.

Goshzagit
11-22-2016, 05:04 AM
I found a couple of fan boards for some potential opponents.

Seton Hall. https://setonhall.forums.rivals.com/forums/pirate-hoops-chat.14/

Florida. http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/forums/nuttin-but-net.6/

Neither forum has much chatter about this tournament as of yet.

Sounds like Seton Hall has a couple players -- Ish and Delgado -- coming off nagging injuries. This could impact them vs Florida.

The Gators have unmatched length at the wing and forward positions. Maybe longest team in College hoops. Seton Hall needs their already limited frontcourt healthy to beat Florida.

I was originally picking Pirates, yet Florida is healthy...

IF we do face the Gators, it will be a home court advantage. While Florida fans aren't planning on Thurs game, looks like they are all coming out for Friday's match.

We need to ZONE the Gators. Florida is extremely quick and agile at every position. Most of their guys are 6'8", 200 lbs at 2 thru 4 position. Long, rangy, can slash. But they can't really shoot the 3pt shot.

32% as a team, and their forwards are their best shooters thus far.

It's a risk worth taking.

By season's end, this might turn out to be the best pre-season tournament of the year, including the Maui. Orlando is littered with underrated Top-25 fringe teams who are all predicted to finish Top-3 in their Conference, save Stanford (& even they look much better than advertised).

Iowa St, Florida, Seton Hall, Miami, are all Top-25 teams in 2017.

Could be (4), even (5) Top-25 teams in the Advocate Invite.

Bogozags
11-22-2016, 05:56 AM
Does anyone know why UF gets a Pre-Advocare game?

TheGonzagaFactor
11-22-2016, 06:35 AM
Does anyone know why UF gets a Pre-Advocare game?

I'm not exactly sure how the non-bracketed games in these tourneys are set up. I remember when we last played SDSU when they had Kawhi it was part of the CBE Tournament in KC, and we moved on to play Marquette in KC regardless of the SDSU result. Of course Florida just played Belmont at the NHL arena in Tampa as part of the Advocare.

I know that a school can play another team in the 8 team bracket within 2 weeks before their tourney to get a 31st game that they couldn't get otherwise. As for the "mainland" games of these tournaments, I'm not sure how they are set up.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-22-2016, 07:56 AM
http://http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18111737/complete-guide-college-basketball-holiday-tournament

An appetizer of an article from ESPN.com to get you ready for a feast of college hoops. No mention of Zags other than as potential championship game matchup for Iowa State to prove they are for real after blowing out nothing but cupcakes so far.

I'm hoping for Zags to make a statement in Orlando by blowing out the competition en route to Advocare Championship win. Don't care who they have to play. Just win baby!! Normally cautious about too high expectations but I love this roster and hope these Zags are amped up to stake their claim on the college hoops landscape.

Best case scenario is blowout wins in first two games so PK can play limited minutes then be available for 25+ minutes in championship game. Three games in four days...gotta take care of the big fella.

irishzag_09
11-22-2016, 07:57 AM
2nd game could be tougher than 3rd game

My thoughts exactly...

If the back court comes out and plays defense like they did against SDSU, NWG-Matthews-Melson-Perkins will get a handful of steals leading to easy buckets all throughout the tournament and keep the big boys out of foul trouble because of the stingy on ball pressure.

Pair that with a few decent shooting nights and I'm feeling more confident than usual. Defense always travels, even when GU isn't filling it up.

Reborn
11-22-2016, 08:12 AM
http://http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18111737/complete-guide-college-basketball-holiday-tournament

An appetizer of an article from ESPN.com to get you ready for a feast of college hoops. No mention of Zags other than as potential championship game matchup for Iowa State to prove they are for real after blowing out nothing but cupcakes so far.

I'm hoping for Zags to make a statement in Orlando by blowing out the competition en route to Advocare Championship win. Don't care who they have to play. Just win baby!! Normally cautious about too high expectations but I love this roster and hope these Zags are amped up to stake their claim on the college hoops landscape.

Best case scenario is blowout wins in first two games so PK can play limited minutes then be available for 25+ minutes in championship game. Three games in four days...gotta take care of the big fella.

JOE LUNARDY seems to disagree with espn article, and so do I. Joe has has FLORIDA as a 6 seed, IOWA ST as a 8 seed, MIAMI as a 10 seed, and SEATON HALL as a 11 seed I would not call any of those teams cupcakes. And as I said in my last Post these teams ARE ranked in the the top 32 in the last AP POLL. It seems to me that this writer failed to do his homework.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-22-2016, 08:34 AM
JOE LUNARDY seems to disagree with espn article, and so do I. Joe has has FLORIDA as a 6 seed, IOWA ST as a 8 seed, MIAMI as a 10 seed, and SEATON HALL as a 11 seed I would not call any of those teams cupcakes. And as I said in my last Post these teams ARE ranked in the the top 32 in the last AP POLL. It seems to me that this writer failed to do his homework.

The article I linked was not saying Advocare teams are cupcakes, it was making the point that Iowa State has looked very impressive so far but only against cupcakes and a win vs Gonzaga in Advocare championship game would legitimize them.

sittingon50
11-22-2016, 09:27 AM
Here's what KenPom is thinking for the 1st Round:

Indiana St. 70
Iowa St. 83

Stanford 68
Miami 74

Gonzaga 87
Quinnipiac 66

Seton Hall 70
Florida 73

DixieZag
11-22-2016, 09:51 AM
I know that a school can play another team in the 8 team bracket within 2 weeks before their tourney to get a 31st game that they couldn't get otherwise. As for the "mainland" games of these tournaments, I'm not sure how they are set up.

Thank you for the explanation.

This is such a joke, though. A "third game" - one in which you don't even have to win, played damn near anywhere, is part of a "tournament" and thus qualifies a team for 31 games? Seriously? Why pretend? Only the NCAA ...

sittingon50
11-22-2016, 03:39 PM
Thank you for the explanation.

This is such a joke, though. A "third game" - one in which you don't even have to win, played damn near anywhere, is part of a "tournament" and thus qualifies a team for 31 games? Seriously? Why pretend? Only the NCAA ...

Zags have been involved in several of these "set-ups" recently, Dix. They beat IUPUI & lost to SD St. in the Kennel (Kahwi Leonard vs Steven Gray) but still advanced to Kansas City to lose to Kansas State & beat Marquette in the O'Reilly Auto Parts Tourney in 2010-11. In '06-'07 the Zags beat Rice & Baylor in the Spokane Arena & advanced to NY to beat Carolina & lose to Butler in the Dick's Sporting Goods NIT. They would have gone to NY even if they had lost in Spokane.

Not sure if you were referring to Florida's schedule, but they are playing all of their "home games" away from their campus due to ongoing renovation of their facility. Due to be done for their 1st "home" game on 12-21; guess they'll be relying on a construction project getting done on time.

Zagdawg
11-22-2016, 06:34 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/nov/22/gonzaga-hopes-theres-more-magic-in-orlando/

Reborn
11-23-2016, 05:35 AM
The article I linked was not saying Advocare teams are cupcakes, it was making the point that Iowa State has looked very impressive so far but only against cupcakes and a win vs Gonzaga in Advocare championship game would legitimize them.

My point was that there are no cupcakes in this tiurnament, and don't expect GU to blow antone out, except possibly Quinipiac.

Reborn
11-23-2016, 06:23 AM
I'M GETTING EXCITED ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT. iT DOES LOOK LIKE THE BEST TOURNAMENT. Seton Hall vs FLORIDA should be a great game. The Miami vs Stanford game could be a pretty good 1st round game too, and Ken Pom sees the Iowa St game close also. i'VE wanted to play Iowa St for a few years now. I like the way the play....fast. I'm really excited about our 2nd round game, and I want to play both teams; so it doesn't matter which team we play. I remember that game with Florida in thew NCAA TOURNAMENT in '99. since then I have always wanted to play them, and would enjoy playing them again Friday so much. And then there's SETON HALL. We all know how badly they want to play us again.

Go Zags!!!

zagsfanforlife
11-23-2016, 06:39 AM
Zags are the best/most talented team in the tournament. I will be disappointed if we dont bring home the championship. Is there any more to it?

HRZag
11-23-2016, 12:27 PM
Holy smokes, I just looked at the Florida roster. They have about 9 guys at 6'8" or better. Sheesh. Go small ball on 'em?

Zagdawg
11-23-2016, 02:17 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/nov/23/zags-open-orlando-tournament-against-quinnipiac/

Reborn
11-24-2016, 04:22 AM
IT'S TIME to begin one of the best days of the year. THE DAY BEGINS WITH IOWA ST VS INDIANA ST at 9;30.
Followed by Miami vs Stanford at 11;30. Zags vs Quinnipiac at 3;30....FLORIDA finishes off the festivities with a great game against Seton Hall.

i'M PICKING Florida, Miami, GU, and Iowa St.

Go Zags!!!

All games are on ESPN 2

Zagceo
11-24-2016, 08:58 AM
Iowa St vs Indiana State.........refs are allowing contact.....unlike other tourneys I've seen this year....I like it.

DixieZag
11-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Iowa St vs Indiana State.........refs are allowing contact.....unlike other tourneys I've seen this year....I like it.

2:00 minutes to go and Indiana State is up 3, basically demonstrating they belong with anyone there.

DixieZag
11-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Iowa State sneaks away with a one point victory.

Tough rooting situation. I love it when the schools with less money and non-BCS conferences win, but I want the Zags to meet up w/ the best teams.

Reborn
11-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Iowa St wins 73-71. Great game, but I felt the refs screwed Indiana St. Iowa ST werwe nothing but foppers on defense. I was not impressed with Iowa St at all. Great heart by INDIANA. ST. They need to learn how to protect a lead. They COMMITTED a ton of turn overs in last 2 minutes.

Miami 67, Stanford 53. Miami is huge. Tough on defense..

Florida defeated Seton Hall 81-76. Another very good game. IT WILL BE A TOUGH GAME TOMORROW FOR THE ZAGS.

zaGS 82, Quinnipiac 62. This game seemed like the others this year so far. GU HAS A 12 POINT LEAD AT HALF, AND WEARS THEM DOWN IN THE SECOND HALF. J Williams and Zach Collins had 13, and Mathews and Perkins had 10. Melson and Tillie had 9. PK and Williams-Goss had 8.

maynard g krebs
11-24-2016, 04:41 PM
Iowa St wins 73-71. Great game, but I felt the refs screwed Indiana St. Iowa ST werwe nothing but foppers on defense. .

Absolutely.

bartruff1
11-24-2016, 04:51 PM
Absolutely.

I hate to complain about the officials...so I will just point out that the commentator on ESPN said the same thing about the offensive fouls at the end of the game..

amaronizag
11-24-2016, 05:04 PM
I wanted Iowa State to win because I want GU to beat them as a ranked team to help our RPI, but I had fun rooting for Indiana State until the end and was relieved when IA St pulled out the win.

hooter73
11-24-2016, 07:20 PM
Hmm Florida is an athletic good shooting team. We're going to have to figure out our perimeter d

sittingon50
11-24-2016, 07:49 PM
Hmm Florida is an athletic good shooting team. We're going to have to figure out our perimeter d

Actually they have not been a good shooting team, hooter. .420 coming into tonight, tied for #254 in the nation. Glad they won, it will be a "relatively" hostile environment, good for these kids to experience this early.

MDABE80
11-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Looks like Florida will be a difficult game. We're living by the bugs. Guards have a way to go. Hope they come out to play soon.

gonstu
11-24-2016, 08:17 PM
Looks like Florida will be a difficult game. We're living by the bugs. Guards have a way to go. Hope they come out to play soon.

Sounds familiar...

Reborn
11-24-2016, 08:39 PM

I agree. It will be a really good game for us, finally. We'll see where we're really at tomorrow. It's about time we get to play someone pretty good.

Reborn
11-24-2016, 09:36 PM
This is a game we've all been waiting for. In the end it will be Gonzaga's depth that wins it for them. THIS is the game PK has been waiting for. He's in his senior year now, and he has faced so many big centers. EGBUNU is just the next one in line. I expect our post players to continue to play well. GU has much better, and much deeper post players. i'm so excited to see Collins and Tillie play tomorrow. I expect them to hold their owd, AND MORE. I think Colliins will have a big game.

On the other hand, Florida's guards and their 3, Barry, are very good scorers, Allen, their point guard scored 29, and Barry, their wing or three scored 20 too. Chiozza, their other guard scored 14. THEY MADE 8 THREE'S. We need our guards to shoot better tomorrow, and I believe they will. Big question for me is, can our guards out play theirs, or at least play even. Will MELSON GUARD...I think he'll guard berry, He and Josh. NWG will guard Allen, AND OH WHAT A BATTLE it's going to be. Zags by 10.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
11-25-2016, 02:54 AM
CAN'T SLEEP. So I may as well type some of my thoughts. Yes Florida is good, but the ZAGS ARE BETTER i think what some folks miss about Gonzaga teams is how well they pass, and this Zag team may be the best passing Zag team ever. PK imo is the best passing center in college basketball. AND NWG and PERKINS imo are elite passers, and are both looking good, no real good, so far. AND MELSON HANDLES the ball really well and is beginning to look like Dranginis, being the consumat team player. He really is a very good defensive player.

I've really enjoyed watching our 2 freshmen post players, Collins and Tillie I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THEM PLAY TONIGHT AGAINST A FEW TOUGH, AND BIG POSY PLAYERS. Oh I can't forget J Williams. Has there ever been a Zag forward who plays like him. I enjoy him so much because you just don't know what he's going to do next.

THE Zags are ready to show Zag fans and all of America who they are. I've waited for this Tournament since summer, and Believe me I'M READY.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
11-25-2016, 02:38 PM
Iowa St 73, Miami 56
Stanford 65, Indiana St,62

Iowa St is in the finals. THEY played great today winning by 17. NOW we need a win tonight to have a great finals.

ProVeeZag
11-25-2016, 03:06 PM
CAN'T SLEEP. So I may as well type some of my thoughts. Yes Florida is good, but the ZAGS ARE BETTER i think what some folks miss about Gonzaga teams is how well they pass, and this Zag team may be the best passing Zag team ever. PK imo is the best passing center in college basketball. AND NWG and PERKINS imo are elite passers, and are both looking good, no real good, so far. AND MELSON HANDLES the ball really well and is beginning to look like Dranginis, being the consumat team player. He really is a very good defensive player.

I've really enjoyed watching our 2 freshmen post players, Collins and Tillie I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THEM PLAY TONIGHT AGAINST A FEW TOUGH, AND BIG POSY PLAYERS. Oh I can't forget J Williams. Has there ever been a Zag forward who plays like him. I enjoy him so much because you just don't know what he's going to do next.

THE Zags are ready to show Zag fans and all of America who they are. I've waited for this Tournament since summer, and Believe me I'M READY.

Go Zags!!!

Don't forget, for a period of his time at GU, Elias Harris looked liked the real deal. Too early to say about Williams, but I love his length and hops. Will be interesting to see how he competes tonight against Florida's big bodies.

Reborn
11-25-2016, 04:19 PM
Don't forget, for a period of his time at GU, Elias Harris looked liked the real deal. Too early to say about Williams, but I love his length and hops. Will be interesting to see how he competes tonight against Florida's big bodies.

i was thinking of Elias when writing about Wiliams. Elias was one of a kind too. He brought the Euro step to USA.

jazzdelmar
11-25-2016, 05:29 PM
Way to schedule Advo. All day to set up the Zags and we are stuck w this consolation crap.

willandi
11-25-2016, 05:46 PM
Way to schedule Advo. All day to set up the Zags and we are stuck w this consolation crap.

Just got home, turned the game on and...this crap. Anybody know why the schedule is so late? None of the other advo games went OT.

Goshzagit
11-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Meanwhile, Iowa St / Miami done by 4pm.

Not only getting 10 more hrs of rest, but scouting us.

Makes a difference in this format. Coaches getting an entire extra night to watch film and gameplan.

Zags will just have to install game plan without much scouting time.

Whats with the Championship game being played BEFORE the 3rd place game?

So odd.

Amateur scheduling & format at Advocare...

Radbooks
11-25-2016, 06:03 PM
I'm guessing they are doing the championship game early before the NFL games start. It's weird though.

Zag4Hire
11-25-2016, 06:05 PM
Was the thinking here "Excellent. Zags & Gators don't tip until late. I can spend all day with kiddos at Magic Kingdom, tuck them in, and swing on over for the game."? I am not at D-Dub but that would probably be my line of thinking to make that work as a 'family vacation'.

ZagLawGrad
11-25-2016, 06:59 PM
9 TO's.

Florida has 0.

Cant make a shot.

NWG foul was a game changer.

Felt this game was a defining moment for rest of season.

Will hurt our ranking but will learn who needs to be our go to & how we can play together.

It's not even half time and you post this? Good grief.

TacomaZAG
11-25-2016, 07:03 PM
Well..............on the positive side..............we can't play any worse in the 2nd half.

Sloppy guard play, bad rebounding position, dumb fouls, not running any offensive sets.

Really lucky to only be down 5. I think we play a lot better in the 2nd half, win by 6..........

Good thing the Gators can't shoot.

Go ZAGS

ProVeeZag
11-25-2016, 07:04 PM
On the plus side, we can't play much worse than what we showed in 1st half, yet we're only down by a handful of points. Painful to watch, no doubt about it. Getting killed on the boards, no block outs whatsoever. Watch for some big adjustments in half #2. We're still in this thing...

RenoZag
11-25-2016, 07:15 PM
On the plus side, we can't play much worse than what we showed in 1st half, yet we're only down by a handful of points. Painful to watch, no doubt about it. Getting killed on the boards, no block outs whatsoever. Watch for some big adjustments in half #2. We're still in this thing...

Will pray for any adjustments. . .

MontanaCoyote
11-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Perfect game for us. Unranked team with a bunch of skinny wings with springs who gave us all we could handle, taught us some lessons and forced us to dig down and get serious. No easy rides! Target on our backs EVERY game

GU69
11-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Hate all the turnovers, but it was a great win!

hooter73
11-25-2016, 08:30 PM
Wtf is all I've got to say.

Reborn
11-25-2016, 11:14 PM
Zags 77, and that was my prediction for their score, Florida 72, thanks to refs and excellent F/T shooting.

NOW THAT WAS A REALLY GOOD GAME. Just as i hoped to see. Yes,poor 1st half, but Zags responded with 45 2nd half points, on 61 % shooting. JUST a beautiful 2nd half of basketball. Everyone played good. PERKINS held us together with some timely 3 pt shooting in 1st half, but it was Melson's 2nd half heroics, scoring 8 pts going down the backstretch, heading for home....including 2 absolutely beautiful 3 point shots, that I felt won the game four us. J Williams was the player of the game though. HE was incredible really, the whole game. The game was really rough, as you would expect. Florida players were huge and very athletic. They must have had 7 or 8 thunderous dunks, and a good 7 or 8 blocked shots. The Zags countered with WILLIAMS AND TILLIE. TILLIE WAS AN ANIMAL AS USUAL, AND BATTLED toe to toe with their bigs. Williams too.

This was a good test for the Zags. THEY GOT DOWN BY 11 IN THE FIRST HALF, AND BATTLED BACK, to only be down by 5 at the half. THEY WERE GETTING THEIR BUTTS WHIPPED. I think Few woke 'em up at halfime. In the 2nd half they looked like the Zag teams we have come to know. I am very happy and really proud of our team. Great win.

Go Zags!!!

kitzbuel
11-26-2016, 03:16 AM
If the Zags played a little cleaner first half this would have been a blowout.

jazzdelmar
11-26-2016, 03:39 AM
If the Zags played a little cleaner first half this would have been a blowout.

No doubt. And by a wide margin. Fla is athletic but not many phi beta kappas, even Big Country Canyon.

ZagMan in Philly
11-26-2016, 06:42 AM
I saw Rick Barry at the game. Did they show his reaction when his boy Canyon missed that breakaway? It was priceless. I had to laugh. The underhand free throws were lethal though.

jazzdelmar
11-26-2016, 06:44 AM
I saw Rick Barry at the game. Did they show his reaction when his boy Canyon missed that breakaway? It was priceless. I had to laugh. The underhand free throws were lethal though.

They did. Over and over. Then Meow interviewed him. He was his usual arrogant self. But Canyon seems like a cool kid.

Hoopaholic
11-26-2016, 07:41 AM
They did. Over and over. Then Meow interviewed him. He was his usual arrogant self. But Canyon seems like a cool kid.

And a smart one apparently...nuclear physicists wow

Ezag
11-26-2016, 07:56 AM
This is what I remember about Rick Barry

http://colossus.mu.nu/street-ball1.jpg

Mantua
11-26-2016, 08:29 AM

i thought about John Stockton's demeanor as a parent while watching Rick. At least the Barry family was well aware that Canyon got away with elbowing Melson.

I'm proud of our team for surviving those refs in what was close to a home game for Florida.

Reborn
11-26-2016, 11:51 AM
So we are heading into the last day of the tournament. There are 2 teams still standing, Gonzaga and Iowa State. Florida and Miami will play for 3rd.

THE Championship game is going to be GREAT GAME BETWEEN 2 TOP 20 Teams. IT'S BEEN A REAL GOOD TOURNAMENT FOR ME. The Zags play the teams I hoped they would get to play. I really like playing teams from the Big 12, and we have had great success in the past. Iowa St plays the kind of basketball that GONZAGA, and most fans, like to see.

The Zags are tall, and some are also fast. Iowa St will play small ball with one player 6'8 and the rest 6'5 and under. One 6'5 player, Deante Burton, weighs 240 and is tough to guard. Monte Morris, 6'3, is on the ALL-AMERICAN list. He averages 16.4 ppg. I've always liked him over the years, but I don't see him as an ALL-AMERICAN. Their starters are all seniors; so they are cohesive. In the past they have liked to shoot the 3 ball. THEY have 2 real good 3pt shooters, MORRIS and THOMAS. They made 8 against Miami, shooting 42%. They only shot 41% AS A TEAM. Gonzaga can live with those stats.

Our post players will be a problem for them. If the Zags get Burton in foul trouble, that could be a real problem for them. Bowie is 6'8, but is thin,218, and could have a problem with MT KARNO. imo, they have a tough time defending GU. Their other post player, Holden,is also 6'8 and weighs 228. I like our stable of post players in this one.

Our guards must handle the ball, and pass like they really can. Hitting 7 threes will help because I' sure SETON hall will double the post players. The Zags win by double digits.

Go Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
11-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Kid from Brooklyn wins it for Ohio State. Sorry, just hadda.

DixieZag
11-26-2016, 12:19 PM
That was an epic college football game. I had no rooting interest so it was great to just take it all in.

I am still in an emotional daze about the reffing last night. Shameless in the intent.

demian
11-26-2016, 12:24 PM

I agree. one of the most arrogant interviews ive ever seen. Just couldn't stop bragging about his son in a very NON humble way, almost more in a way of attempting to let everyone know how inferior they are to him and his son, his moms reaction to the missed dunk was very unhealthy I thought. That was so annoying all night long to watch that family. Thankfully we wont have to watch them any more unless they make the NCAA tourney.

jazzdelmar
11-26-2016, 12:33 PM
I agree. one of the most arrogant interviews ive ever seen. Just couldn't stop bragging about his son in a very NON humble way, almost more in a way of attempting to let everyone know how inferior they are to him and his son, his moms reaction to the missed dunk was very unhealthy I thought. That was so annoying all night long to watch that family. Thankfully we wont have to watch them any more unless they make the NCAA tourney.

You make great points Chip (for chip off the ol' Reborn, I say respectfully). And especially with respect to what that poor kid has had to deal with from those Blackhawk helicopter parents and his similarly arrogant step Barrys.

Reborn
11-26-2016, 12:38 PM
Kid from Brooklyn wins it for Ohio State. Sorry, just hadda.

THAT WAS A GREAT GAME....WOW!

demian
11-26-2016, 12:50 PM
You make great points Chip (for chip off the ol' Reborn, I say respectfully). And especially with respect to what that poor kid has had to deal with from those Blackhawk helicopter parents and his similarly arrogant step Barrys.

haha great reference of "Chip" lol. That brought a good chuckle to me. Another great point by you about the Blackhawk Helicopter parents lol haha haha.

Reborn
11-26-2016, 12:55 PM

Demian has really helped me recover from my accident. He certainly is a chip off the old block, and I'M definitely the old block. There's nothing better in life than to have a son like Demian. SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT, but he is the one who introduced me to GUBoards. ha h ha. I remember the day well. He said, dad I want to show you something that I know you will love. It's nice to have a son knows me so well.

jazzdelmar
11-26-2016, 12:59 PM
Demian has really helped me recover from my accident. He certainly is a chip off the old block, and I'M definitely the old block. There's nothing better in life than to have a son like Demian. SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT, but he is the one who introduced me to GUBoards. ha h ha. I remember the day well. He said, dad I want to show you something that I know you will love. It's nice to have a son knows me so well.

Both of you are blessed, Bornie. But now we know who to blame for those 10,000 word posts.

TacomaZAG
11-26-2016, 01:03 PM
THAT WAS A GREAT GAME....WOW!

Michigan gave that game away, two really bad throws for easy pic's and a fumble at the OSU 2 yard line. The hilarious thing to me is that both of them will probably remain in the top 4 nationally, and neither one is even playing in the Big-10 Championship Game (assuming a nittany lion win).

I am a Pac-12 football fan, and this was just the worst possible outcome of this game for UW (assuming they win next week in the Pac-12 Championship Game). Unless Clemson loses, the Pac-12 and UW will once again be on the outside looking in at the top 4.

Too bad...........Back to college hoops!!

Go ZAGS

Reborn
11-26-2016, 01:25 PM
Both of you are blessed, Bornie. But now we know who to blame for those 10,000 word posts.

ha ha ha ha ha hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Thanks,,,,ha ha ja.....THE BEST POST EVER. That only you know how to deliver/

demian
11-26-2016, 01:45 PM

That is awesome!!!! Haha. Yes I am fully responsible to exposing you all to the 10,000 word posts lol

Reborn
11-27-2016, 06:01 AM
It's GAMEDAY. The best day of the week. Good morning Zag Nation. We're playing for the championship. Oh what a great feeling that is.Game time is 10;30. Get a little crazy. Scream a little. Yell at the refs. Do what you need to. It's the one time we have a license to be crazy. Put on your Zag gear and wear it proudly. Then cheer our team on to victory. And here is the thought for the day, Zags over Cyclones by 12, and bringing home the championship trophy.

Go Zags!!!

ZaggyDog
11-27-2016, 06:18 AM
Two thoughta - 1. Arghh Church at 9:30 and I am hosting fellowship after. Good luck Zags! 2. I view this like a Sweet Sixteen game. They made it through the first weekend - now on to the Elite Eight!! :)

willandi
11-27-2016, 11:28 AM
2008 banner, 2012 banner and now the 2016 banner. Should they just print up the 2020 banner for the Zags and save some money?

RenoZag
11-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Congratulations to the team for winning another holiday season tourney. Gritty win and much to build on.

MTZag03
11-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Two thoughta - 1. Arghh Church at 9:30 and I am hosting fellowship after. Good luck Zags! 2. I view this like a Sweet Sixteen game. They made it through the first weekend - now on to the Elite Eight!! :)

I feel you man. Same boat. No regrets on church first though.

Reborn
11-27-2016, 06:58 PM
A GREAT VICTORY for our Zags. It's really nice that the guys will bring home the trophy. I'm really proud of them. That kind of game is very hard to win. Wow. What a great first half. Some of the best 3 pt shooting I've seen for awhile from a Zag team. 8 made 3's in the first half, and 5 the 2nd half. AND the passing was awesome, by all of them. You all know that I love really good 3 pt Ninja shooters. The announcers were really praising us. I love it when goes nuts about the ZAGS. HE REALLY LIKES US.

I expected IOWA ST to make a comeback, and they did. They are a very good team, and fought with everything they had. THE 1st half tonight was much like the 2nd half tonight. 49 points tonight in 1st half, and 45 pts last night. REALLY GREAT basketball in every way. LAST NiGHT
WE HAD TO come back from an 11 pt deficit and tonight they had to hold on after an 18 pt lead. BOTH GAMES were learning experiences.

LET'S NOT FORGET that THERE ARE ONLY 2 PLAYERS who played last year, and only one was a starter. There are lots of players with lots of experience. but none playing together. And two freshmen who are key key players. YES, THEY played poorly the second half, and missed a lot of free throws at the end which ix not Gonzaga like. YHEY WERE ONLY AHEAD BY 3 pts with 8 min to go; so they had lots of time to choke and allow IOWA ST to win. in FACT they played tough D down the stretch and won. I don't have any concerns at all. Winning this tournament is going to give the young Zags a lot of confidence. Thanks tp all the guys for giving us fans lots of joy and loys to be proud to to be proud of.

i really liked the tournament a lot. I believe it's just what our boys needed.

Go Zags!!!

NotoriousZ
11-27-2016, 07:06 PM
Well said, Reborn! Looking forward to a warm up game and then a showdown with Zona.

Go Zags!

Reborn
11-27-2016, 07:51 PM
me yoo

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-28-2016, 07:53 AM
Kind of the perfect way to win that Iowa State game if you're a coach (except for what I'd does to your blood pressure).

Team got to see how well they can play in first half and how fun it is to share the ball like that, near meltdown of a 2nd half keeps the players humble and receptive to more coaching / need to improve. Zags should feel great about winning the Advocare tourney, but that 2nd half likely left them hungry to work harder and improve.

MontanaCoyote
11-28-2016, 08:50 AM
Think it was a very good field for us at this stage of our teams development. I would like to see a higher capacity venue full of fans. Lots of empty seats. No other spot in the continental U.S. Is further away from more places than FLA, I think.

Mantua
11-28-2016, 08:55 AM
Kind of the perfect way to win that Iowa State game if you're a coach (except for what I'd does to your blood pressure).

Team got to see how well they can play in first half and how fun it is to share the ball like that, near meltdown of a 2nd half keeps the players humble and receptive to more coaching / need to improve. Zags should feel great about winning the Advocare tourney, but that 2nd half likely left them hungry to work harder and improve.

Great take away on the tournament!

Avoiding overconfidence at this stage of team development is crucial when our ceiling is still out of view.