PDA

View Full Version : GU vs BRYANT.. post game thoughts

Reborn
11-18-2016, 08:55 PM
GU 109
BRYANT 70

SOME NICE THINGS THAT i wanted to see, I did see tonight. J. WILLIAMS PLAYED GREAT. i came close in getting to see 6 guys score in double figures, but I did get to see five, and they all played GREAT they are Karnowski 22, J. Williams 20, Collins 18, erkins 18, and JWG 13. Melson did hit a 3. AND THE WON BY MORE THAN 40, AND actually won by 39. GREAT SCORING IN THE POSTS, AND GOOD GAME BY Two gf our guards. I did think they played real hard the whole dame which i loved.

And I thought played poorly on offense. Melson played like he did early last year, and Mathews looked like he had forgotten how to play. GLAD TO SEE PERKINS PLAY WELL. Zags will need him next week.

DEFENSE forced 21 to's.

OMG I almost forgot. I loved the blue uni's tonight. WHEN I PLAYED '66-70 OUR UNIS WERE THAT COLOR OF BLUE/ But our shirts were like T-shirt type with sleeves.

Go ZAGS!!!

GonzaGAW
11-18-2016, 09:23 PM
- I love it, our top scorer after 2 games, Matthews at 16.5 a game is shut down, goose egg, no worries Williams who was scoring 3 a game jumps in with 20.
- how does an opponent game plan against the zags? we just have too many scoring options.
- if this team can improve on defense, commit to a full 40 minute effort, look out! we're only 3 games into the season, I see no reason these smart and talented young men won't improve on defense.

RenoZag
11-18-2016, 10:05 PM
Next week we'll find out how good the Zags really are. No more "little sisters of the poor" competition ( and yes, SDSU without Pope fit that monniker )

Very excited to see them in action over the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.

Have a great weekend !

hooter73
11-18-2016, 10:14 PM
I loved seeing JW3 and Perkins get into the game. Mostly Perkins though. He is our post feeding point guard and is a great high risk / high reward guy. No one passes like him, threading the needle in traffic and getting the bigs the ball where they need it.

btzag
11-18-2016, 10:22 PM
Yeah the great thing about tonight was that through the first half my thought was " man Perkins is not forcing anything, just playing nice and easy" and then he explodes after the break! And not the typical out of control Perkins, just nice and easy and aggressive.

Murphy outgo lifer
11-19-2016, 01:11 AM
It seems to me that JWIII's game is more of a face-up type style rather than a back to the basket style. He does not have a very refined post move skill-set nor does he have great touch or footwork. I think this has been part of his struggle to the start of the season as he has been trying to post up a majority of the time. He is, however, extremely explosive and can take a majority of his defenders off the bounce.

I am hoping his post-up game is more refined than we have seen thus far and his struggles in the post are primarily due to him trying to do too much. Either way, he has an extremely important skill-set in terms of his offensive rebounding, defense, and athletic ability on offense.

demian
11-19-2016, 01:13 AM
GU 109
BRYANT 70

SOME NICE THINGS THAT i wanted to see, I did see tonight. J. WILLIAMS PLAYED GREAT. i came close in getting to see 6 guys score in double figures, but I did get to see five, and they all played GREAT they are Karnowski 22, J. Williams 20, Collins 18, erkins 18, and JWG 13. Melson did hit a 3. AND THE WON BY MORE THAN 40, AND actually won by 39. GREAT SCORING IN THE POSTS, AND GOOD GAME BY Two gf our guards. I did think they played real hard the whole dame which i loved.

And I thought played poorly on offense. Melson played like he did early last year, and Mathews looked like he had forgotten how to play. GLAD TO SEE PERKINS PLAY WELL. Zags will need him next week.

DEFENSE forced 21 to's.

OMG I almost forgot. I loved the blue uni's tonight. WHEN I PLAYED '66-70 OUR UNIS WERE THAT COLOR OF BLUE/

Go ZAGS!!!

I agree Reborn = The uniforms looked GREAT tonight.

GoZags
11-19-2016, 04:52 AM
GU 109
BRYANT 70

DEFENSE forced 21 to's.

OMG I almost forgot. I loved the blue uni's tonight. WHEN I PLAYED '66-70 OUR UNIS WERE THAT COLOR OF BLUE/

Go ZAGS!!!

It appears you are doing better Reborn (unless you dictated your thoughts and had them typed up for the board). Slow and steady wins the race. Continue to feel better my friend ....

Zagger
11-19-2016, 06:03 AM
Williams sure brought down some 2nd and 3rd efforts around the basket - he was awesome. Karno was .... formidable. Perkins was precise. Collins was crafty. And boy, did Rui have some moves when he came in. We sure got to see what a few of the Zags are capable of. Zagged N Loaded!

kitzbuel
11-19-2016, 07:03 AM
In the first half it seemed to me that the defense became lackadaisical when Shem was in there. The rest of the team seemed to just be relying on Shem to protect the rim and didn't fly on the perimeter.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

krii
11-19-2016, 08:05 AM
When you have a guy that performs like that on defense and is replaced by Collins. Oh well, I can understand the others being a bit lazier.

Every game you have to face The Presence who averages 15ppg/7rpg/1.3apg/1.3bpg on .667. ORtg 119 / DRtg 78. And all of that in 19 mpg! Per 40 it's 30/15/3/3 ...

And then when you feel it'll be easier with him going to the bench he is replaced by Cool-ins. Zach Cool(a)ids who averages 14ppg/4rpg/1apg/1spg/0.7bpg on .750 (!!!). ORtg 143 / Drtg 73 and per 40 32/14/2/2/2.

It's like, literally, choosing between college versions of white Mutombo and mobile Yao.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/przemek-karnowski-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/zach-collins-1.html

Reborn
11-19-2016, 08:38 AM
It appears you are doing better Reborn (unless you dictated your thoughts and had them typed up for the board). Slow and steady wins the race. Continue to feel better my friend ....

THANKS ALOT....YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT SLOW AND EASY.......AMG IT'S SO SLOW....THIS IS WAY SLOWER THAN CRAWLINGGGG HAHAHA, iAM BETTER AT TYPING WITH ONE FINGER THOYGHG GO Zags!!!

maynard g krebs
11-19-2016, 11:14 AM
When you have a guy that performs like that on defense and is replaced by Collins. Oh well, I can understand the others being a bit lazier.

Every game you have to face The Presence who averages 15ppg/7rpg/1.3apg/1.3bpg on .667. ORtg 119 / DRtg 78. And all of that in 19 mpg! Per 40 it's 30/15/3/3 ...

And then when you feel it'll be easier with him going to the bench he is replaced by Cool-ins. Zach Cool(a)ids who averages 14ppg/4rpg/1apg/1spg/0.7bpg on .750 (!!!). ORtg 143 / Drtg 73 and per 40 32/14/2/2/2.

It's like, literally, choosing between college versions of white Mutombo and mobile Yao.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/przemek-karnowski-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/zach-collins-1.html

Combined stats for Karno/Collins:
37.3 minutes
28.7 points
13.0 rebounds
2 blocks
70% fg

Worthington
11-19-2016, 12:06 PM
I love how any it can be a different player's night each game with this team. So much depth and explosiveness at every position.

My biggest takeaways:

- Those that have been really hard on Perkins need to quiet down. He had his ups and downs last season, but he finished very strong down the stretch and, despite a poor overall first game back, looks to be carrying the same poise into the start of this year. His passing ability is simply off the charts. He's so creative at getting people the ball in spots where they can be effective. Outside of perhaps Mathews, he's our most consistent three point shooter and easily our best shooter off the bounce. The minutes will be divided up pretty evenly amongst our four guard rotation, but even though Melson has the edge defensively, I don't see how Perkins doesn't regain his starting position.

- Karnowski is back and better than ever. He's doing all the things that he did well before his injury, but he seems more decisive. The basketball IQ and confidence are higher than they've ever been for Shem. Love the way he's leading this team.

- If JW3 just brings the energy and lets the game come to him, he'll have many more games like this. He's a phenomenal athlete with a great motor, and tremendous instincts on the glass. He should be able to have a major impact on every game. I think he gets himself in trouble when he starts trying to do too much out there. Definitely want to see him get touches on the block several times a game, but he's the kind of player who should be able to average nearly a double double even if no plays are run for him at all. I like seeing him knock down some 3s, but I don't want to see him fall in love with that shot.

- Collins is a stud. He will be showing up on draft boards sooner than I thought.

- I know Hachimura didn't play much, but wow his raw athleticism is spectacular. That block he had was silly, and there was one play where he got fouled in transition that I think in time will be finished with a monstrous dunk. He clearly needs time to get used to playing on a team where he isn't miles better than everybody else, but there's a chance he could be a game changer for us later in the season.

- Lastly, this team seems more bulletproof than past Zag squads. And by this I mean that in past seasons I would watch games just waiting for us to give our opponent some life by letting them go on a run. This team has more consistent scoring options when the three ball isn't falling. When the runs have come so far this season, our team has been able to respond and end any hopes of a comeback. My stress level this season while watching the games reflects that :)

Zags11
11-19-2016, 01:11 PM
Great win. I enjoyed it. However, I wanna see them vs some solid competition.

Bogozags
11-19-2016, 03:48 PM
It seems to me that JWIII's game is more of a face-up type style rather than a back to the basket style. He does not have a very refined post move skill-set nor does he have great touch or footwork. I think this has been part of his struggle to the start of the season as he has been trying to post up a majority of the time. He is, however, extremely explosive and can take a majority of his defenders off the bounce.

I am hoping his post-up game is more refined than we have seen thus far and his struggles in the post are primarily due to him trying to do too much. Either way, he has an extremely important skill-set in terms of his offensive rebounding, defense, and athletic ability on offense.

I agree about his post moves...I would have thought that in the year he sat out he would have developed better footwork. I believe he has been called for traveling a couple of times BUT he played so much better Friday evening. Hopefully, he will gain more confidence on offence as his rebounding motor is excellent.

All in all the Zags played pretty well, much better defence in the second half than the first. Bryant was just so out sized in the post so there wasn't really a challenge for PK...he needs to play against some size before we play AZ to get a much better idea of where he is at this point in the season...

It appeared as though JM just never got in the flow on offence but that might have been do to all the post play that dominated our game plan.

Reborn
11-19-2016, 04:17 PM
Lastly, this team seems more bulletproof than past Zag squads. And by this I mean that in past seasons I would watch games just waiting for us to give our opponent some life by letting them go on a run. This team has more consistent scoring options when the three ball isn't falling. When the runs have come so far this season, our team has been able to respond and end any hopes of a comeback. My stress level this season while watching the games reflects that :)

oH! Don't worry. The games get tougher now. Ha ha The season just got under way. Afterall, this is basketball. :clap:

It was nice to see Perkins play like we know he can play. His 3 ball was a sight to see. One in which we have grown accustomed to see. I think some may have forgotten how good he is on defense too. Gonzaga has very tough guards. The defense is in the learning and experimental stages. They have been experimenting with a 2-3 zone and a 1-2-2 3/4 press. THESE defenses have surprised teams and have surprised me too. To be able to utilize 3 defenses this early in the season is pretty amazing.

It was also great to see J.Williams play the way he did. GREAT. i HAVE NOT SEEN A power forward at GU quite like him. THE CLOSEST I can come is Kelly Olynyk. Kelly was never a good low post player, and I think he may have hated it. Kelly of course better I think, but Williams does have game. He's a very good offensive rebounder. And scores off tip ins. And yes he is a good shot blocker on D. MAYBE the best ever. I have waited for a PF like him, and so yes, I like his game. AND HE CAN shoot the 3. I agree that the difference in his game last night was letting the game come to him, and NOT force. it.

Coach Crazy
11-19-2016, 05:59 PM
J3 doesn't have the post game that we are used to seeing from say a Shem or Domas, but they have to make sure he keeps at it. Yes, nor converting is less than ideal, but we need as many facets of individual skill set at a certain point of competence come big dance time. Plus, he is likely to be back next year, unless he posts some really good stats.

I can live with an inconsistent or underdeveloped post game, as long as the result is not a turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDABE80
11-19-2016, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure he's a post up type like the others coach. He's a long and rangy kid with shooting and rebounding. I haven't seen Missouri film to know how or what he played there. He's not looking like a post up kid so far.

bballbeachbum
11-19-2016, 06:25 PM
wish they were playing again right now. psyched to see them play again

seacatfan
11-19-2016, 07:03 PM
Bryant was just so out sized in the post so there wasn't really a challenge for PK...he needs to play against some size before we play AZ to get a much better idea of where he is at this point in the season...

Arizona has two 7 footers and another 6-10 or 6-11 guy with long arms, but none of them have any bulk, they will have a hard time handling Karno in the low block. Their starting center Ristic has struggled on D throughout his career, he's no Zeus on D.

seacatfan
11-19-2016, 07:06 PM
THE CLOSEST I can come is Kelly Olynyk. Kelly was never a good low post player, and I think he may have hated it.

Whoa, you totally lost me there. Olynk was very good in the low post his Jr. year. He had a plethora of moves and I saw him make defenders look silly on numerous occasions.

MDABE80
11-19-2016, 09:35 PM
Collins is the best low post likeness of Kelly but he moves better. Doesn't shoot that well yet and he needs to study/get a feel for angles but he's the low post wonderboy. Sh and him work very well together. Tillie's quite good down there as well and he's quite the athlete. As time goes by, I'm thinking Tillie will find his way to the post. I sure like Collins and till. Super kids, good athletes and they like winning.

Reborn
11-19-2016, 10:05 PM
J3 doesn't have the post game that we are used to seeing from say a Shem or Domas, but they have to make sure he keeps at it. Yes, nor converting is less than ideal, but we need as many facets of individual skill set at a certain point of competence come big dance time. Plus, he is likely to be back next year, unless he posts some really good stats.

I can live with an inconsistent or underdeveloped post game, as long as the result is not a turnover.

The thing is, COACH GU has two great low post players in PK and Collins. #33n Tille, is a 4 along with J. Williams who I already wrote about. But neither of these two are real good post players YET. Tillie is only a FROSH so he will certainly develop into a very good one someday much like Sabonis or even OLYNYK. Right now they are both real good offensive rebounders and shot blockers

Bogozags
11-20-2016, 05:07 PM
Arizona has two 7 footers and another 6-10 or 6-11 guy with long arms, but none of them have any bulk, they will have a hard time handling Karno in the low block. Their starting center Ristic has struggled on D throughout his career, he's no Zeus on D.

Maybe he won't face any size in Orlando and will have to wait until AZ...yes, I know they don't that the bulk but I bet they might be a tad quicker and that will be a good challenge for him. Also want to see on ZC handles players his height too...

Coach Crazy
11-20-2016, 06:19 PM
The thing is, COACH GU has two great low post players in PK and Collins. #33n Tille, is a 4 along with J. Williams who I already wrote about. But neither of these two are real good post players YET. Tillie is only a FROSH so he will certainly develop into a very good one someday much like Sabonis or even OLYNYK. Right now they are both real good offensive rebounders and shot blockers

There will be times when he is, either by scheme or personnel, going to be the low post presence. As well, it doesn't help to have someone who the opponent knows isn't putting any work into a facet of the game.

Again, doesn't have to be incredibly adept, just needs to convert at a certain clip, and be able pass out of it proficiently. You can rebound a missed shot, you can't rebound a turnover.