PDA

View Full Version : What is the plan for Rui?

Murphy outgo lifer
11-17-2016, 08:21 AM
I am wondering if anyone knows the coaches' plan for Rui this season. With all of his natural ability I am curious if they are hoping he picks up the lingo and system and is a rotation guy or major contributor by the end of the season. Or is he just going to get scrub minutes all year.

The guy has a lot of natural ability and he seems to be looking less lost out there as the games go by. It would be nice to have him in the fold for this season.

TexasZagFan
11-17-2016, 08:29 AM
I am wondering if anyone knows the coaches' plan for Rui this season. With all of his natural ability I am curious if they are hoping he picks up the lingo and system and is a rotation guy or major contributor by the end of the season. Or is he just going to get scrub minutes all year.

The guy has a lot of natural ability and he seems to be looking less lost out there as the games go by. It would be nice to have him in the fold for this season.

Bol Kong had a lot of natural ability, too.

Rui will earn plenty of minutes, he's still adapting to the higher level of talent in the US. We all need to be patient during OOC, and things will be clearer by Christmas.

willandi
11-17-2016, 08:30 AM
I don't have insider information, but it seems that, despite being 9-10th off the bench, Rui did not want to redshirt to learn the language and system.

It will be up to him how much he fits into what the Zags are doing. If he accepts it, learns the offensive and defensive sets, he could move up the ladder in minutes...but at whose expense?

Easily I could see him in front of Alberts, maybe in certain match-ups ahead of Tillie (unless Tillie keeps playing the way he has, then HE will be hard to get past).

I see NWG, Perkins, Mathews and Melson in the guard slots, Karno, Collins, Tillie, W 111 in the front line. Alberts and Rui will come in at the 3 or small 4 as the game dictates, assuming they perform when they are in. Edwards will provide emergency back-up at the 5.

Reborn
11-17-2016, 08:45 AM
I will say that one thing I noticed was his rebounding. When he's in the game he get's most of the defensive boards. I would not compare him to Bol KONG. i n any way. Come on! You can do better than that.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-17-2016, 08:52 AM
Good question. Subbing him in for garbage time to gain experience would seem to be the first step, but then he got yanked vs SDSU and never came back into the game.

Either prepare him well enough in practice to know he can "succeed" in a game (understand and execute basic offensive sets and defensive assignments), or don't put him in the game at all. I felt bad for him finally being subbed in then pulled out in 2 minutes. Even if he was completely out of place offensively/defensively, it reflects more poorly on the coaches then the player to have that happen. If he's not ready, don't play him! Kind of jerking him around mentally otherwise.

TexasZagFan
11-17-2016, 08:52 AM
I will say that one thing I noticed was his rebounding. When he's in the game he get's most of the defensive boards. I would not compare him to Bol KONG. i n any way. Come on! You can do better than that.

C'mon, I was merely being curmudgeonly. Of course, there's no comparison to Bol, we no longer have to take on problematic projects. Our 10-13 players would likely start on the vast majority of colleges in the country.

Zagdawg
11-17-2016, 09:13 AM
I am a big Rui fan-- he chose not to redshirt -- so in order to get time on the floor he needs to a. learn the system and b. outplay the guys in front of him (including Jones when he is healthy).

Give him a year -- hopefully he will learn the system and have a better shot at time on the floor -- but for now it is going to be minimal minutes in blowouts and lots of learning experiences.

nish_mode
11-17-2016, 09:20 AM
I noticed the same thing, crazy length. Looks like could become a great rebounder and defensive player.

DukeSilver
11-17-2016, 09:23 AM
C'mon, I was merely being curmudgeonly. Of course, there's no comparison to Bol, we no longer have to take on problematic projects. Our 10-13 players would likely start on the vast majority of colleges in the country.

Insofar as Rui is dripping with natural ability, but still has a long ways to go to adjust to a new setting, I think the comparison to Bol is completely appropriate. Just because Bol didn't make that transition successfully doesn't preclude Rui from being able to do so. In fact, from interviews that he's given and from what we've heard from the coaches, it seems like Rui is doing everything right at this stage, but he still has a ways to go.

Picking up the language will be paramount, as I'm sure that's a big piece of why he looks a bit lost on the court - hard to coach somebody into a system when they're not 100% up to speed on the language - but once that is no longer an issue, he could be a special player.

Whether it takes him months or years to get comfortable with the language will be the difference between him contributing this year and him contributing as a Junior.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Good question. Subbing him in for garbage time to gain experience would seem to be the first step, but then he got yanked vs SDSU and never came back into the game.

Either prepare him well enough in practice to know he can "succeed" in a game (understand and execute basic offensive sets and defensive assignments), or don't put him in the game at all. I felt bad for him finally being subbed in then pulled out in 2 minutes. Even if he was completely out of place offensively/defensively, it reflects more poorly on the coaches then the player to have that happen. If he's not ready, don't play him! Kind of jerking him around mentally otherwise.

I pretty much agree, but do you think that maybe for someone like him (never played ball against competition CLOSE to this) just getting him on the floor at all could prove to be extremely valuable? I'd think it would be easier to coach someone and teach them the system if they have some on court experience. I hear you, though.. hard to get much out of 2 minutes per night.

GoZags
11-17-2016, 10:24 AM

My "guess" is while there IS a plan for Rui .... more important now is the "plan" for the 8 (or 9) man rotation ... finding which combinations work ... getting guys comfortable with each other. If that means fewer minutes for Rui ... so be it.

I know I'd rather have the core working smoothly together as the Zags get to the heart of non-conference action. There will be plenty of time in non "high profile" games to get others (including Rui) on the floor. At least that's my thinking.

Zagger
11-17-2016, 12:58 PM
My "guess" is while there IS a plan for Rui .... more important now is the "plan" for the 8 (or 9) man rotation ... finding which combinations work ... getting guys comfortable with each other. If that means fewer minutes for Rui ... so be it.

I know I'd rather have the core working smoothly together as the Zags get to the heart of non-conference action. There will be plenty of time in non "high profile" games to get others (including Rui) on the floor. At least that's my thinking.

I like your take on Rui & floor time. Maybe when the Zags have meshed well Rui will see more time. I hope that's by mid-January - or even sooner. Having had a Japanese exchanged student live with us for a year there can be some rather interesting situations - even when they know English pretty well. The gal that stayed with us finally asked us what the "Dead End" sign meant. We had a laugh on that one as she looked pretty relieved when we told her the meaning. I bring that up just to put some things in context. Stuff we Americans use in English can really be quite far from what the words actually mean. It takes not only a good handle on the language up also the culture in order to find a good fit.

zag67
11-17-2016, 05:40 PM
I also agree with GoZags. In the out of conference I do not see him getting much time. But as the season goes, he will get more. It is important that he plays against players that play for these major D1 teams. He has the skill, the tools and the body to play at this level. This year he will be learning the language, the concept of playing sets (both offense and defense), learning to play with players as good as he is, and listening to the coaches and players during and after games. This will do nothing but make him better in the following years.

JPtheBeasta
11-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Bol Kong had a lot of natural ability, too.

Rui will earn plenty of minutes, he's still adapting to the higher level of talent in the US. We all need to be patient during OOC, and things will be clearer by Christmas.

The Legend of Bol Kong. I almost didn't think he was a real person, and I'm still not so sure. Those were fun times on the GU Boards.

What happened to him? I don't seem to remember much about him in a Zags uni...

Mantua
11-17-2016, 10:01 PM
I worry about Rui feeling isolated by the language barrier. I'm sure though that the team is looking out for him as much as they possibly can. Gonzaga is outstanding at inclusion. I attended a small high school where, during the time I was there, it was unthinkable to leave anyone out of social occasions. I learned a lot about equal regard from that experience and I see that spirit reflected in the basketball teams at GU.

billyberu
11-17-2016, 10:14 PM
I worry about Rui feeling isolated by the language barrier. I'm sure though that the team is looking out for him as much as they possibly can. Gonzaga is outstanding at inclusion. I attended a small high school where, during the time I was there, it was unthinkable to leave anyone out of social occasions. I learned a lot about equal regard from that experience and I see that spirit reflected in the basketball teams at GU.
Re-watch the SDSU game when Matthews makes those 3's to start off the 2nd half and Rui is one of the first guys off the bench. Something tells me that he's enjoying this.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

TheZagPhish
11-17-2016, 11:27 PM
Bol Kong!

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

TexasZagFan
11-18-2016, 06:50 AM
I like your take on Rui & floor time. Maybe when the Zags have meshed well Rui will see more time. I hope that's by mid-January - or even sooner. Having had a Japanese exchanged student live with us for a year there can be some rather interesting situations - even when they know English pretty well. The gal that stayed with us finally asked us what the "Dead End" sign meant. We had a laugh on that one as she looked pretty relieved when we told her the meaning. I bring that up just to put some things in context. Stuff we Americans use in English can really be quite far from what the words actually mean. It takes not only a good handle on the language up also the culture in order to find a good fit.

I endeared myself to a German innkeeper long ago. I liked to turn uniquely American phrases into German. His favorite was damentotschlager; lady killer. During those 3 months of a temporary assignment, I'd help him close down the bar between 3-4 AM (2-3 times a week), that's when dawn started in Northern Germany. From there, I'd head to the base and perform my duties as Mess Hall Officer. When you're 25, you're indestructible. Not to mention the fact that 4 years at GU was superb training for living in Germany. lol, the upgrade in beer quality from Lucky/Rainier to German beer was awesome.

thespywhozaggedme
11-18-2016, 06:56 AM
The Legend of Bol Kong. I almost didn't think he was a real person, and I'm still not so sure. Those were fun times on the GU Boards.

What happened to him? I don't seem to remember much about him in a Zags uni...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bol_Kong

Robzagnut
11-18-2016, 10:27 AM
I felt bad for him finally being subbed in then pulled out in 2 minutes. Even if he was completely out of place offensively/defensively, it reflects more poorly on the coaches then the player to have that happen. If he's not ready, don't play him! Kind of jerking him around mentally otherwise.

Coaching moment.

Let him play, let him get some in-game experience, and adjust to the speed and intensity of college ball. Let him screw up when it doesn't count. Pull him and walk him thru what he did wrong. Rinse and repeat. It also shows him that no matter how skilled he is, that he's not ready to play until he learns and understands the system.

I see nothing wrong with what the coaches did.

zag67
11-18-2016, 04:58 PM
I would not redshirt him for another reason. I also think that it is important that he is with his teammates, communicating with them and learning by watching them. He is also talking and communicating with them on the road which again will help him next year. I think that the language barriers will be broken more by being with the team rather than redshirting and working on his own. This to me is a great call by the coaches and Rui. I doubt that he would have been here 5 years anyway, so let him be with his teammates as much as possible and learn the language as he is doing it. I think that this keeps him with people that play the game and he might not stress out as much.

Murphy outgo lifer
12-31-2016, 02:07 AM
Pretty disappointed that Rui did not get more playing time against Pepperdine. We had 20+ point lead with 10 minutes left in the game and he only went in with the scrubs under the 3 minute mark. So much for all of the talk about utilizing Christmas break to get him going for league play. Granted it is the first game of league but they didn't even try to give him any meaningful minutes. They are not even trying to teach him during the games.

Maybe there still is a plan to get him integrated into the system by the end of the year but not a good first step in league play. Now we head out on the road and I can't picture Few playing him more on the road than home.

We have had Mike Hart in a starting role on our team and he had no discernible offensive skill-set. I am surprised they can't find a small role for Rui given his rebounding, shot-blocking, and athleticism. Unlike Hart, he can hit an open 3.

It's too bad really, as he is a very talented player.

soccerdud
12-31-2016, 02:34 AM
Pretty disappointed that Rui did not get more playing time against Pepperdine. We had 20+ point lead with 10 minutes left in the game and he only went in with the scrubs under the 3 minute mark. So much for all of the talk about utilizing Christmas break to get him going for league play. Granted it is the first game of league but they didn't even try to give him any meaningful minutes. They are not even trying to teach him during the games.

Maybe there still is a plan to get him integrated into the system by the end of the year but not a good first step in league play. Now we head out on the road and I can't picture Few playing him more on the road than home.

We have had Mike Hart in a starting role on our team and he had no discernible offensive skill-set. I am surprised they can't find a small role for Rui given his rebounding, shot-blocking, and athleticism. Unlike Hart, he can hit an open 3.

just for the record, mike hart hit almost 60% of his 3s senior year (13/22) and finished the season with the #1 ortg in the country according to kenpom (163.3). yeah, his usage was low, but he was an extremely efficient offensive player and he hit open 3s. however, you are correct that rui is by far the superior offensive player.

regardless, one game strikes me as a little early to declare anything "too bad" or "so much for...". let's see what happens :)

MickMick
12-31-2016, 03:50 AM

The following is a better resume than Rui's:

Bol chose to attend Douglas College because the NCAA treats a 4 year university in Canada just like one in the US -- transfers must sit out a year. Not so, apparantly, with a Canadian junior college. Apparantly already a great junior college program before Bol arrived, Douglas went 19 - 0 this past year and won the national championship. Bol averaged +/- 19 ppg, which his coach says was accomplished without any particular difficulty, since Bol is first and foremost a team player.

In their preseason game against US teams this past fall, Bol scored 28 points against Marquette, and later that same day scored 33 points against Boise State. Both of those schools participated in March Madness at the end of the season.

Although Bol didn't fully dedicate himself to GU, he was initially talented enough to be handed a GU jersey. We don't know enough about Rui yet to predict how frustrated he might become about his marginal role or how patiently he will handle a daunting cultural/language/academic adjustment. Like Bol, diverse issues can effect his "want to". Further, the Kong experience may have provided enough "lessons learned" for the staff so that they are better equipped to manage unique players.

jazzdelmar
12-31-2016, 04:14 AM
Rui is no Mike Hart. Lets hope he ever approaches Mikes value. I think the staff would be more interested in integrating Jeremy Jones at this pt, as he would be a more reliable sub going forward this yr. I have zero expectations of Rui now, other than he seems a delightful young man who can soar. Other than that, he has miles to go, long haul miles.....the Bol experience is instructive......we have 8-9 terrific kids ahead of Rui. Who would you sit, even w a 20 pt lead? OK, maybe Mathews since he had already taken 13 shots; just kidding but who was the last Zag with that kind of license, besides KP?

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-31-2016, 05:27 AM

Troll of a post. It's obvious Rui has next level athleticism and equally obvious he does not yet comprehend Zags' offensive and defensive sets. A coach cannot give meaningful minutes to a player everyone on the team knows does not yet comprehend and/or execute the team's plays; doing so would be a morale killer for the other reserves no matter how much they may like Rui and would undermine the coaching staff's credibility in the eyes of the team.

jazzdelmar
12-31-2016, 06:05 AM
Troll of a post. It's obvious Rui has next level athleticism and equally obvious he does not yet comprehend Zags' offensive and defensive sets. A coach cannot give meaningful minutes to a player everyone on the team knows does not yet comprehend and/or execute the team's plays; doing so would be a morale killer for the other reserves no matter how much they may like Rui and would undermine the coaching staff's credibility in the eyes of the team.

Spot on, Flex. Well put.

kitzbuel
12-31-2016, 07:53 AM
One aspect of the staff's playing time philosophy that has become very apparent over the years is that they don't use game time to develop players. Meaningful minutes go to players that are going to be on the floor in March.

I expect that the only way the minutes mix is going to change is if a player really shows something during practices. Neither Rui or Jones have seen playing time outside of the closing minutes of blowouts. Odds are that is where they will be this year.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

hooter73
12-31-2016, 07:55 AM
Totally agree. Rui isnt ready for 10 minutes of team ball. While I do like that he passes and rebounds, he is still a one on one type of player.

And dang it am I tired of hearing how Mike Hart had no offense. The kid was the ultimate teammate playing with great players. He was a dang great three point shooter but deferred for the teams good. When he did take one, he was a 60% shooter. He was an opportunistic disrupter and any coach in the world would have had him and his 2 point per game average playing for them.

GoZags
12-31-2016, 08:12 AM

What talk? Could you point to a quote from Few or the staff?

I know, I know. It's got to be disappointing that Rui wasn't able to fully learn English, adapt to the culture, learn the offense, learn the defense and learn all of the nuances over Christmas break.

What a shame.

bartruff1
12-31-2016, 08:22 AM
What does Rui plan ? It is pretty much up to him how he progresses ...

MontanaCoyote
12-31-2016, 09:58 AM
Totally agree. Rui isnt ready for 10 minutes of team ball. While I do like that he passes and rebounds, he is still a one on one type of player.

And dang it am I tired of hearing how Mike Hart had no offense. The kid was the ultimate teammate playing with great players. He was a dang great three point shooter but deferred for the teams good. When he did take one, he was a 60% shooter. He was an opportunistic disrupter and any coach in the world would have had him and his 2 point per game average playing for them.

I think you nailed it, Hooter! 1 on 1 player. I started the likeness to Elgin Baylor thread without giving any thought to the fact that Baylor was a 1 on 1 player in college but HAD TO BE because his team mates were at no where near the talent of today's Zag's. In fact, at SU they often cleared out one side of the court so he could work his magic.

Not the Zag's game. But when Rui learns it, I think we'll be treated to two or three Elgin like moves to the hoop a game for patented "Seismic Slams."

His time will come and we're going to love it!

Virginia Zags Fan
12-31-2016, 10:24 AM
Concur MontanaCoyote. Rui's time will come and it will awesome. We just need to be patient in the timing. The Staff knew before the season it was going to take Rui some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDABE80
12-31-2016, 10:52 AM
He's got all the tools to be a superior player but the teaching is slow going with a major language impediment. Well like kid but the language issue makes it a lot tougher. I'm not sure what Rui and his parent were thinking send hi off to the US with so little English.
My prediction is that he won't advance by leaps and bounds till he make English a priority. I believe he will .

maynard g krebs
12-31-2016, 12:06 PM
Spot on, Flex. Well put.

+1.

maynard g krebs
12-31-2016, 12:18 PM
He's got all the tools to be a superior player but the teaching is slow going with a major language impediment. Well like kid but the language issue makes it a lot tougher. I'm not sure what Rui and his parent were thinking send hi off to the US with so little English.
My prediction is that he won't advance by leaps and bounds till he make English a priority. I believe he will .

I think it's at least as much a matter of not having had to develop fundamental basketball skills in a country where he was so much bigger and more athletic than everyone else. There's a Japanese guy that lives in Seattle who goes to my gym, about 6'2, slightly above average pickup ball player here and he played college ball in Japan.

Rui does things like going up off-balance on short jumpers, and has to learn fundamental decision making in the team game. He will. Just a matter of time. If he had grown up in the US with the competition and teaching available here, he'd be a different player now. But he'll be that player, just not this year.

Murphy outgo lifer
12-31-2016, 12:38 PM
What talk? Could you point to a quote from Few or the staff?

I know, I know. It's got to be disappointing that Rui wasn't able to fully learn English, adapt to the culture, learn the offense, learn the defense and learn all of the nuances over Christmas break.

What a shame.

Actually, that was Richard Fox from the SD broadcast. I thought the staff was trying to make him a priority over break to get him a role. DD has mentioned that he believes he should have a role by the end of the year. Sorry I don't have access to the coaches but I listen to what people close to the program say. I am glad to hear your opinion on such matters but I do not require your sarcasm. Thanks in advance.

Zagdawg
12-31-2016, 12:50 PM
Heres a recent quote from Few about getting some of the other guys involved.

“We have a little opportunity right now without having class that we can kind of major in basketball for about a month,” coach Mark Few said. “That top eight (in the rotation) has been good, we’ve been kind of dialed into that. I think I have to do a better job of growing the next two to get it to 10 or so.

“Bryan (Alberts) deserves some time. Jeremy Jones (returning from ankle injury), we have to get a way to get him in and obviously still trying to grow Rui (Hachimura) but man it’s a challenge to get 10, 11 guys into a rotation.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/dec/20/zags-hoping-to-develop-more-depth/

Murphy outgo lifer
12-31-2016, 01:01 PM

Troll of a post huh? I think it is obvious that Rui is struggling with the sets yet he is making an effort at them. He is lost sometimes but is picking of something's as well; he just needs more experience. Hence my post, despite what you may think 5 or 6 minutes of playing time at home during a blow-out against a team that has lost it's last 8 games does not count as "meaningful" minutes. That is the reason for my frustration, not trolling. Stick to your basketball opinions, trust me it is a far better look for you. Also, talent goes a long way in sports, a lot further than people's feelings. Getting a guy with Rui's skill set ready to play would not be a morale killer (especially against the worst teams in the WCC) because as been stated all year, these guys want to win. He has a skill-set that no one else has on this team. But Mark Few knows what he is doing and maybe the language barrier is going to be too much to overcome this year for any role. I'm excited for the future for him and the zags though.

MDABE80
12-31-2016, 01:23 PM
No worries Murph. We like sarcasm here! lol...........as sarcasm goes though, it was pretty good! Everyone gets his/her turn in the barrel once in a while.

seacatfan
12-31-2016, 01:46 PM
OK, maybe Mathews since he had already taken 13 shots; just kidding but who was the last Zag with that kind of license, besides KP?

Jazz, I know that's a lot of shots, but what's not to like about 5-11 behind the arc? You have to take that any time you can get it. He just happened to be 0-fer on 2 point attempts. NWG hoisted 16 shots in the same game and only hit 6, not exactly torching the net.

ZagMan in Philly
12-31-2016, 01:59 PM
I predict Rui will be here at least 3 years. Learn English, get a degree, and develop his game for the next level. It will be a good ending.

Bogozags
12-31-2016, 02:01 PM
Troll of a post huh? I think it is obvious that Rui is struggling with the sets yet he is making an effort at them. He is lost sometimes but is picking of something's as well; he just needs more experience. Hence my post, despite what you may think 5 or 6 minutes of playing time at home during a blow-out against a team that has lost it's last 8 games does not count as "meaningful" minutes. That is the reason for my frustration, not trolling. Stick to your basketball opinions, trust me it is a far better look for you. Also, talent goes a long way in sports, a lot further than people's feelings. Getting a guy with Rui's skill set ready to play would not be a morale killer (especially against the worst teams in the WCC) because as been stated all year, these guys want to win. He has a skill-set that no one else has on this team. But Mark Few knows what he is doing and maybe the language barrier is going to be too much to overcome this year for any role. I'm excited for the future for him and the zags though.

Both you and Flex made good points...

I did notice against PU that Rui was the first non-rotational player off the bench, which I think means that he is doing better. The PU game was really a horrible GU effort, we were really out of sync in that first half. Back to Rui, he just exudes talent and it just seems hard for the staff to get him into the "starting gate" as it seems like he just wants to "go" before the bell...

Rui will get more time as the season goes...there are 17 more conference games so be patient...

jazzdelmar
12-31-2016, 02:09 PM
Jazz, I know that's a lot of shots, but what's not to like about 5-11 behind the arc? You have to take that any time you can get it. He just happened to be 0-fer on 2 point attempts. NWG hoisted 16 shots in the same game and only hit 6, not exactly torching the net.

It's a ton of shots from anyone not named Ammo, KP or Wiltjer is the point. He's not option #1 I believe. Lots for NWG. I would like to see Josh and Collins get more shots in the offense.

seacatfan
12-31-2016, 02:19 PM
It's a ton of shots from anyone not named Ammo, KP or Wiltjer is the point. He's not option #1 I believe. Lots for NWG. I would like to see Josh and Collins get more shots in the offense.

I hear ya. 29 attempts between those 2 is a lot. Just one game though, not really a trend at this point. I think there will be quite a bit of variance during the course of the season as far as shot attempts game to game for various players. Hard to argue against getting more shot attempts for a guy currently hitting over 70%. Perkins didn't seem very aggressive against Pepperdine, that's partially on him for not getting more shots up.

Zag 77
12-31-2016, 03:41 PM
It is looking like Rui will have blown a year of eligibility so he could show off a few dunks in garbage time. It is no answer to say that red shirting is a player's choice. Somebody has to be the adult. 18 or 19 year old kid who barely speaks English and has never played US college basketball is not equipped to make an informed decision.

Ekrub
12-31-2016, 03:54 PM

Jazz, you want more shots for perkins?

jazzdelmar
12-31-2016, 04:27 PM
Jazz, you want more shots for perkins?

Um, yes. He's shooting like 1,000%. ��

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Troll of a post huh?......
But Mark Few knows what he is doing and maybe the language barrier is going to be too much to overcome this year for any role. I'm excited for the future for him and the zags though.

Yes......and yes.

seacatfan
12-31-2016, 11:33 PM
Mathews 9-18 from 3 the last 2 games, seems to have rediscovered his stroke from early in the season. He can keep shooting as far as I'm concerned.

maynard g krebs
01-01-2017, 02:26 AM
Mathews 9-18 from 3 the last 2 games, seems to have rediscovered his stroke from early in the season. He can keep shooting as far as I'm concerned.

Actually 6 straight shooting well. 11/23 in the 4 before the last 2, so 20/41 the last 6.

CDC84
01-01-2017, 11:06 PM
Mathews may have played his best overall game of the season last night at Pacific. He was fantastic on the glass and defensively.

Perhaps the staff is trying to develop Rui as a kid they can put in at the end of halves to keep guys out of foul trouble. Someone will need to step up if there is an injury as well.

hooter73
01-01-2017, 11:22 PM
It is looking like Rui will have blown a year of eligibility so he could show off a few dunks in garbage time. It is no answer to say that red shirting is a player's choice. Somebody has to be the adult. 18 or 19 year old kid who barely speaks English and has never played US college basketball is not equipped to make an informed decision.

I have to agree and thought this would be the case early on but low and behold, hes "playing." Baffles the mind...

MickMick
01-02-2017, 12:07 AM
Perhaps the staff is trying to develop Rui as a kid they can put in at the end of halves to keep guys out of foul trouble. Someone will need to step up if there is an injury as well.

I believe this did have to do with the fouls on J Williams III along with the injury scare on Tillie. In other words, not some preconceived plan, but based upon real time circumstance. Given an excuse to play Rui, Few has shown he ins't afraid to throw him into the fire.

Just my take on it.

maynard g krebs
01-02-2017, 12:55 AM

Rui is on draft boards in the next couple of years, and we know they draft on potential. I'd speculate that he has no intention of staying at GU for 5 years; if so nothing's wasted. If anything, it would be a waste to redshirt a year and then leave before his eligibility is up. He doesn't need physical development like KO/KW. He needs skill work, and gets more of it by playing. And he could get more of a role by 2 months from now.

Also, that's a pretty arrogant and condescending post.