PDA

View Full Version : Mika or Sabonis (from BYU Board)

sittingon50
11-15-2016, 10:17 PM
(who knew macaroni could be so entertaining)

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=16920217

Zags_Fanatic
11-15-2016, 10:43 PM
(who knew macaroni could be so entertaining)

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=16920217

And people wonder how I can despise BYU despite being an alumnus. The fanbase is absolutely insufferable. Of course there are some good fans but the majority are so delusional it's comical.

gonzagafan62
11-16-2016, 05:08 AM
Still haven't won a regular season or postseason WCC Tournament !!!!!!!!! F BYU

TheGonzagaFactor
11-16-2016, 06:34 AM
Notice how we're supposed to be so scared of that performance in which they struggled to get by Princeton at home LOL

Also hilarious that someone is trying to say Sabonis is soft. Did they not see him overpower their whole team to win in Provo last year? He was literally a man among boys.

willandi
11-16-2016, 06:50 AM
Notice how we're supposed to be so scared of that performance in which they struggled to get by Princeton at home LOL

Also hilarious that someone is trying to say Sabonis is soft. Did they not see him overpower their whole team to win in Provo last year? He was literally a man among boys.

But Mika was on his mission! Everything has changed now!

bartruff1
11-16-2016, 06:58 AM
But Mika was on his mission! Everything has changed now!

I have been no fan of Mika...thinking him to be a spoiled brat...pouting on the bench after making dumb fouls....but he looks like he has matured a lot during his mission.

Time will tell but he is no Sabonis..

DixieZag
11-16-2016, 06:58 AM
I don't think we need be scared one wit. But, I can see scenarios where Mika can achieve the type of stock (Gigantic IF) if he continues to develop along the way, shows that he can not only rebound like a monster against good teams, but also starts to develop a shot as Sabonis did late. He'd also have to show the mental toughness against elite competition.

It sounds silly now b/c it is silly now. But, I can see how his stock could rise quickly and he be right there.

tinfoilzag
11-16-2016, 07:08 AM
If he is better than Sabonis, it's a big secret.

I hope he becomes a force for BYU that gets them a lot of wins, the WCC needs as many quality teams as possible.

bartruff1
11-16-2016, 07:14 AM
As hard as I try (I admire the coach and the players and their media) I just cannot root for BYU...their fans are so annoying .... I start out intending to support them, but after about 10 minutes, I hope they lose...

willandi
11-16-2016, 07:16 AM
As an aside...the wife is watching old Andy Hardy movies this morning (on TCM). I have always called Micky Rooney, Macaroni! I wonder if the macaroni on the BYU board is an old, short, bald guy?

DixieZag
11-16-2016, 08:01 AM
If he is better than Sabonis, it's a big secret.

I hope he becomes a force for BYU that gets them a lot of wins, the WCC needs as many quality teams as possible.

Are they saying he's better than Sabonis right now? Because that is ridiculous. I only thought its within the realm of possibility that he could develop to that level.

LongIslandZagFan
11-16-2016, 08:04 AM
LOL... what a joke of a thread. I watched him against Princeton. No, he does NOT have better moves than Sabonis. No, he does NOT have more motor than Sabonis. No, he isn't more physical than Sabonis. JMHO... I don't see Mika in the second round let alone a lottery pick. He is a good player.... that is about it. A good player. I have no problem giving opponents respect (Collinsworth I admired greatly) with the exception of Samhan. I don't even come close to seeing the comparison between the starting PF for the Thunder and Mika.

CdAZagFan
11-16-2016, 08:06 AM
Was watching the BYU-Princeton game - Mika played great, but I wonder how well he will do against a bigger center like Shem? I'm used to seeing them run and gun and chuck up 3's - so it was quite the change watching them feed it into Mika and have an actual post game.

LongIslandZagFan
11-16-2016, 08:08 AM
Was watching the BYU-Princeton game - Mika played great, but I wonder how well he will do against a bigger center like Shem? I'm used to seeing them run and gun and chuck up 3's - so it was quite the change watching them feed it into Mika and have an actual post game.

My gut says he won't score that well against Shem/Collins/Tille/Williams/Edwards.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-16-2016, 08:34 AM
Still haven't won a regular season or postseason WCC Tournament !!!!!!!!! F BYU

Way to keep it classy:(

We are better than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virginia Zags Fan
11-16-2016, 08:41 AM
I think Mika is a good player now and is going to help them win a lot of games. BYU is going to be tough. Mika and his crew may very well win the WCC when he is a senior.

The reason Domas is starting in the NBA, now, during what would be his junior year is because he is Domas. Enough said.

tinfoilzag
11-16-2016, 09:03 AM
Are they saying he's better than Sabonis right now? Because that is ridiculous. I only thought its within the realm of possibility that he could develop to that level.

It's hard to read their forum but a couple of highlights where Mika and Sabonis are mentioned:

"Was sabonis ever as good offensively as Mika? Mika has better offensive moves."

and

"Mika or Sabonis. Who do you take?

Reponses -

"Mika"

"Sabonis is soft. Mika."

I always remind myself when reading sports forums that 'fan' is short for fanatic.

seacatfan
11-16-2016, 09:39 AM
Who could possibly call Sabonis soft? I mean you could nit pick and find some things to criticize about him, but he was the furthest thing possible from soft. Anyone that states that makes their point of view completely illegitimate.

Hoopaholic
11-16-2016, 09:46 AM
My gut says he won't score that well against Shem/Collins/Tille/Williams/Edwards.

My logical review agrees with your gut

TheGonzagaFactor
11-16-2016, 09:58 AM
I bet no one was happier to see Sabonis declare than Mika.

I love how they fire up this conversation NOW that Sabonis is a player IN THE NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION.

Didn't hear a peep from them on this issue last year when Domas was willing his way to victory in front of 20k+ delusional fans that were hoping for their first 1/3 sliver of a WCC shared title... of course they came away with nothing - as always.

GoZags
11-16-2016, 10:04 AM

Let's see .... their best player in recent years (i.e. the last generation) Jimmer Fredette is currently lighting it up for the Shanghai Sharks. Somehow I don't see Domas playing for Shanghai any time soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Sharks#Roster

irishzag_09
11-16-2016, 10:06 AM
tinfoilzag pointed it out...we're just a bunch of fanatics...Here's my first post on GU Boards...and you'll see here that I'm a bit of a stat nerd:

So, let's do some Number Crunching and put it into perspective....

Mika's Dimensions: 6-10 230 lbs

http://byucougars.com/athlete/m-basketball/eric-mika

Vs.

Sabonis's Dimensions: 6-11 240 lbs

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/domantas_sabonis_952372.html

or if you prefer his NBA Page

http://www.nba.com/players/domantas/sabonis/1627734

Now let's look at the Stats:

Mika from 2013-2014: over 33 games had: 11.8 pts, 6.4 rbs, 1.0 asst, 0.75 blks, 0.45 stls, 1.5 turns / .527 FG%, .617 FT%, .000 3P%

http://byucougars.com/files/stats/stats-m-basketball-2013-2014_36.pdf

Mika in 2016-2017: in one game against Princeton: 26.0 pts, 18.0 rbs, 3.0 asst, 2.0 blks, 1.0 stls, 2.0 turns / .500 FG%, .923 FT%, .000 3P%

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/252

VS.

Domas from 2014-2015: over 38 games had: 9.7 pts, 7.1 rbs, 0.9 asst, 0.3 blks, 0.4 stls, 1.6 turns, and / .668 FG%, .664 FT%, .000 3P%

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2250/year/2015

Domas from 2015-2016: over 36 games had: 17.6 pts, 11.8 rbs, 1.8 asst, 0.9 blks, 0.6 stls, 2.6 turns / .611 FG%, .769 FG%, .357 3P%

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2250/year/2016

...as anyone can see, Domas doubled some of his stats from his Freshman to Sophmore seasons...the Jury is still out on Eric Mika's 2nd year...but we'll see if he can average a double-double like Domas did...Honestly, I bet he could, and he did vs. Princeton, especially with the drive and motor that he has...but the difference between both players, and the reason Sabonis is in the NBA right now, is Sabonis has the ability to step outside and shoot the 3-ball and extend defenses...Eric Mika has never attempted a 3-pointer at BYU to date...and is not as capable of a shooter as Domas...

Both of these guys dominate paint space, but when you draw a line...or an arc if you will...and place each player behind it...I'll take Domas every time...and that's the difference. Of course, BYU doesn't want Mika to shoot 3-pointers...that's Haws, and Emery's job.

...and to my final point, in Domas's two seasons, Zags went to the Elite Eight and Sweet Sixteen....Mika's freshman year, BYU lost to Oregon in the first round...

But to solidify my pick...and just to add a little emphasis to it...Doma's highlight reel from last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGVwj7E1x8M

maynard g krebs
11-16-2016, 11:15 AM
Fairly obvious macaroni is trolling, if you eliminate the possibility that he's hearing the voice of a 6000 year old dog or something like that. Trolling or delusional; take your pick.

SunDevilGolfZag
11-16-2016, 11:43 AM
First thought that came to my mind is I would take Tillie over Mika, a more pertinent and relevant comparison right now. Sabonis is way better than Mika and already in the NBA. Tillie is our Sabonis 2.0. Better than Mika

zag buddy
11-16-2016, 12:00 PM
Are there Morman's in the NBA? Do they play on Sunday? Mika has all the tools to be in the NBA, so do our big three. I look forward to the game with them and am anxious to see how well Mica plays. I must confess, I root for all kids playing sports and teams next.

maynard g krebs
11-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Are there Morman's in the NBA? Do they play on Sunday? Mika has all the tools to be in the NBA, so do our big three. I look forward to the game with them and am anxious to see how well Mica plays.

There are a bunch of Mormons in the NFL.. When money's involved......

Zag_Dad
11-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Are there Morman's in the NBA? Do they play on Sunday? Mika has all the tools to be in the NBA, so do our big three. I look forward to the game with them and am anxious to see how well Mica plays.

Danny Ainge is Mormon and played in the NBA... can't recall whether he sat out on Sundays. Interesting question.

DixieZag
11-16-2016, 01:51 PM
It's hard to read their forum but a couple of highlights where Mika and Sabonis are mentioned:

"Was sabonis ever as good offensively as Mika? Mika has better offensive moves."

and

Reponses -

"Mika"

"Sabonis is soft. Mika."

I always remind myself when reading sports forums that 'fan' is short for fanatic.

Well, that sure settles it. There is little to no chance that Mika might develop to Sabonis' level. You're stats amply demonstrate just how wrong I was to state that it's within the realm of the "possible" - that he has a long way to go.
y
They're fans, and at times the most annoying fans going, but this one seems harmless and at least there's some reason for them to HOPE that he develops to eventually be at Sabonis' level when he left.

VaBeachZAG
11-16-2016, 02:21 PM

and

Reponses -

"Mika"

"Sabonis is soft. Mika."

Mindless hot air! When Mika faces off against, and totally dominates, a 7 foot future lottery pick, I will start to take notice, but not before then.

jaydee77
11-16-2016, 02:29 PM
There is no comparison. Domas is twenty years old starting in the NBA. Mika is a twenty three year old sophomore.

jaydee77
11-16-2016, 02:37 PM
There is no comparison. Domas is twenty year old first rounder starting in the NBA. Mika is a twenty three year old sophomore. Anyone who has respect for Dave Rose has not been watching. He sent the thug Kafusi in to do nothing more than take Kelly Olynyk out two years ago. Maybe you missed the cheap shot sucker punch the little punk Nick Emery put on the Utah guard last year. Coach gave him a one game suspension. Classless.

RenoZag
11-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Speaking of limited talent big guys with 5 fouls to give: Won't Kafusi be back on the hardwood once football season is over ?

MickMick
11-16-2016, 03:02 PM
Somewhere there is a blog poking fun at Zag fans claiming that Perkins is an All American.

Fans will be fans.

BYU
11-16-2016, 03:07 PM
Speaking of limited talent big guys with 5 fouls to give: Won't Kafusi be back on the hardwood once football season is over ?
The current model of Kafusi doesn't seem to fit that mold. BYU coaches saw Mo playing basketball and brought him in for football. I think you guys will love the physical way he plays next season. Here was the info the football team put out about Mo on signing day:
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/VFFORqVOX6zxmG11rj3xrrvYP9E=/24x0:834x540/920x613/filters:focal(24x0:834x540):format(webp)/cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49010021/langi.0.0.jpg

Here is a picture of Mo with the Kafusi brother that you guys did not like. As you can see he isn't as graceful, but he will clear some space. And he does have 5 fouls to give, which is a bonus:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/heraldextra.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/88/d886d16d-ad42-5807-93aa-fc0d1c35632c/57903035e2972.image.jpg

Fairly obvious macaroni is trolling, if you eliminate the possibility that he's hearing the voice of a 6000 year old dog or something like that. Trolling or delusional; take your pick.

I don't read it enough to figure out who is doing what, but he probably was trolling. Last time I was on there there was a funny post about something like how 5-7 players were going to declare early for the draft after the season. I'm sure there was a thread discussing who had NBA potential, some people find a few posts to be over the top, and then the trolling starts.

Bonus points for getting 2 boards at once, I guess.

BYU
11-16-2016, 03:13 PM
All too true sadly. Do as much illegal stuff on the field or court as you can (their football team got in trouble for cheap shots as well) and get away with it. Just don't get caught having sex with your long-time girlfriend. Season suspension. Punch all the opposing players you want.

Please don't forget to call our fans self righteous and judgmental. That's my favorite part of these kinds of posts. TIA!

Kong-Kool-Aid
11-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Who's Ammo playing for?

Sorry, terrible argument.

Let's see .... their best player in recent years (i.e. the last generation) Jimmer Fredette is currently lighting it up for the Shanghai Sharks. Somehow I don't see Domas playing for Shanghai any time soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Sharks#Roster

Kong-Kool-Aid
11-16-2016, 04:04 PM
Also have a real problem with people mocking the Mormon beliefs, that has nothing to do with anything.

Glass houses and all.

Coach Crazy
11-16-2016, 04:24 PM
Danny Ainge is Mormon and played in the NBA... can't recall whether he sat out on Sundays. Interesting question.

Some of us do, and some of us don't. I would personally not.

Coach Crazy
11-16-2016, 04:36 PM
As far as Mika, he looks like he needs to hit the weights. But he's not Domantas.

What do the stats say? ORtg? DRtg? BPM? WS? WS/40?

Saxon_zag
11-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Please don't forget to call our fans self righteous and judgmental. That's my favorite part of these kinds of posts. TIA!

I tried to oblige but it was deleted. Anyways looking forward to our 2 or 3 matchups with BYU this year. Haws little brother looking good, I can't wait to get our own 25 year old freshmen next year.

whatazag
11-16-2016, 06:12 PM
Was impressed with Mika as a frosh, and he is apparently better now so look forward to him matching up with the Zags. Obviously any statement about Domas being soft is uninformed.

Btw I know nothing about Mormons but I do know a guy named Steve Young who played on Sunday a few times.

JPtheBeasta
11-16-2016, 08:21 PM

Kudos to the Super Troll. Most impressive :]

bartruff1
11-16-2016, 08:25 PM
I doubt Mika will ever play a game in the NBA....

JPtheBeasta
11-16-2016, 08:28 PM
Any perception of Sabonis being soft probably has more to do with him having to do what he could to stay in the game. He (and Wiltjer) did admirably with this. The Zags had a short rotation at the 4-5 last year. The unchecked aggression that he showed the year before would have spelled doom (real doom, not the Bobzag kind).

Zags_Fanatic
11-16-2016, 10:36 PM
Are there Morman's in the NBA? Do they play on Sunday? Mika has all the tools to be in the NBA, so do our big three. I look forward to the game with them and am anxious to see how well Mica plays. I must confess, I root for all kids playing sports and teams next.

I don't recall any pros in major sports that haven't. Steve Young, Danny Ainge, now Jabari Parker all played or play on Sundays.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-17-2016, 01:32 AM
I doubt Mika will ever play a game in the NBA....

I think he has a good chance to play in the NBA. I watched the first half of that Princeton game. He looks better as a sophomore than most of our future NBA centers did. He looks better than Turiaf, Sacre, and Olynyk did at this point in their careers. Sabonis is probably the only big man we've had who was better as a sophomore than Mika.

BYU looks like a real threat. They have size. They have depth. They have shooters. They defend better than a typical BYU team. I don't think they will win the WCC, but that is more of a testament to the quality of SMC and Gonzaga than a knock on BYU. They might be good enough to run the table on the other games on their schedule. They will be a tough out in March.

titopoet
11-17-2016, 04:50 AM
Fans... BYU fans are right in pointing out the similarities in Sabonis and Mika's game, but picking a older, slower and smaller player as the better of the two... what the gas (from eating three old day lima beans).
Mika had a great game against a very over matched Princeton frontcourt, but the Frosh bigs of Collins and Tillie were more impressive against the athletic long SDSU frontcourt.
Watch Mika continue to put big numbers for next few games (mostly over matched frontcourts) and the talk by their fans grow. Then, when shut down by the GU bigs, them raising their hands asking why Mika had to have a bad game when they need it.

Coach Crazy
11-17-2016, 05:29 AM

Not worth addressing some people about LDS centric stuff. Unfortunately, some Zag fans areas uninformed and classless as the people they levy criticism against.

mgadfly
11-17-2016, 05:56 AM
After Tillie's second real game I described him to a friend as "Sabonis, but settles for the three - and makes them." There is some hyperbole there, but I'm a GU fan and it's my divine right to get way too excited about our freshmen after the first week. Had Tillie had 28 and 16 or whatever it was, even against Utah Valley, I'd have been trying to organize a parade in his honor.

So, is it ridiculous that BYU would be comparing Mika to Sabonis after a single great game? Yes, but no more ridiculous than I am in comparing Tillie. So I'd give them a pass on this.

I'm interested to see how he does against Shem. All Mika has to do is rebound like that for thirty more games or so, and I'm okay with comparing him to Sabonis.

LongIslandZagFan
11-17-2016, 06:26 AM
I think he has a good chance to play in the NBA. I watched the first half of that Princeton game. He looks better as a sophomore than most of our future NBA centers did. He looks better than Turiaf, Sacre, and Olynyk did at this point in their careers. Sabonis is probably the only big man we've had who was better as a sophomore than Mika.

BYU looks like a real threat. They have size. They have depth. They have shooters. They defend better than a typical BYU team. I don't think they will win the WCC, but that is more of a testament to the quality of SMC and Gonzaga than a knock on BYU. They might be good enough to run the table on the other games on their schedule. They will be a tough out in March.

By the time he graduates he will be 25 or 26 unless he leaves early. Guys that old need to be Jimmer good to even get a sniff at the NBA. He isn't Jimmer good. The NBA age discriminates with the best of them.

TexasZagFan
11-17-2016, 06:54 AM
By the time he graduates he will be 25 or 26 unless he leaves early. Guys that old need to be Jimmer good to even get a sniff at the NBA. He isn't Jimmer good. The NBA age discriminates with the best of them.

I don't know how old Collinsworth is, but the now 2-8 Mavericks cut him. Even with Dirk, who may not play more than 50 games this year, the Mavericks are a lottery team.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-17-2016, 06:56 AM
There is no comparison. Domas is twenty years old starting in the NBA. Mika is a twenty three year old sophomore.

/thread

bartruff1
11-17-2016, 06:57 AM
BYU....NIT

jbslicer
11-17-2016, 06:59 AM
Eric Mika's birthday is 1-5-1995. He'll be 24 when he graduates.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-17-2016, 07:00 AM

At "this point in their careers" they were 2-3 years younger than Mika.

Also, realize this is all a massive overreaction to Mika having a big night in a very competitive game against a bad opponent with no size... in Provo.

willandi
11-17-2016, 07:08 AM
I compare him to Yao Ming!

Of course he is much shorter and lighter, is caucasian and doesn't have the same game, but hey! It's MY comparison!

titopoet
11-17-2016, 07:36 AM
BYU....NIT

I hope not. BYU doing well and getting into the Tourney is good for the WCC and GU.

kitzbuel
11-17-2016, 09:29 AM
For me it is a no brainer for Mika.

Sabonis lost his eligibility when we went to the NBA early. Mika could transfer and still have two years.

TexasZagFan
11-17-2016, 09:44 AM
I hope not. BYU doing well and getting into the Tourney is good for the WCC and GU.

Imperative for the WCC to get three teams in this year. BYU will continue to be seen as a candidate for other conferences during the next round of football consolidation.

For the WCC, three teams getting a bid to the NCAA tournament is worth about $4.8 million, spread over six years. Each additional game, up to the Final Four is another $1.6 million. From a post of mine back in March

My numbers may be off a bit, depending on timing of payments...I used a one year lag for payouts from previous year's tournament, through 2015.

2016: $6.4 million, or $640K per team
2017: $5.3 million, or $530K per team
2018: $4.8 million, or $480K per team

From 2010 to 2015, GU has 14 units, SMC 6, and BYU 4.

From 2010 to 2016, GU has 17 units (63%), SMC 6 (22%), and BYU 4 (15%).

Our three games in the 2016 are worth $4.8 million to the WCC. Our three teams this year are certainly capable of earning a berth in the Dance. I would also add that St. Mary's is definitely capable of a Sweet 16. Taking it further, how great would it be for the WCC to score upwards of 10 units in March? That would be $16 million for the WCC

Zags - 5 units (FF, no units for Championship game)
Gaels - 3 units (Sweet 16)
BYU - 2 units (round of 32)

Here's a link to the Bloomberg article, "March Madness Makers & Takers"

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-march-madness-basketball-fund/

soccerdud
11-17-2016, 10:17 AM
The current model of Kafusi doesn't seem to fit that mold. BYU coaches saw Mo playing basketball and brought him in for football. I think you guys will love the physical way he plays next season. Here was the info the football team put out about Mo on signing day:
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/VFFORqVOX6zxmG11rj3xrrvYP9E=/24x0:834x540/920x613/filters:focal(24x0:834x540):format(webp)/cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49010021/langi.0.0.jpg

Here is a picture of Mo with the Kafusi brother that you guys did not like. As you can see he isn't as graceful, but he will clear some space. And he does have 5 fouls to give, which is a bonus:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/heraldextra.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/88/d886d16d-ad42-5807-93aa-fc0d1c35632c/57903035e2972.image.jpg

I don't read it enough to figure out who is doing what, but he probably was trolling. Last time I was on there there was a funny post about something like how 5-7 players were going to declare early for the draft after the season. I'm sure there was a thread discussing who had NBA potential, some people find a few posts to be over the top, and then the trolling starts.

this post did not get the reaction it deserved. bravo. the humor and execution are both on point.

also, that's a big man.

gonzagafan62
11-17-2016, 02:52 PM
As an aside...the wife is watching old Andy Hardy movies this morning (on TCM). I have always called Micky Rooney, Macaroni! I wonder if the macaroni on the BYU board is an old, short, bald guy?

Could be!

gonzagafan62
11-17-2016, 02:58 PM
Our medical software at work is based out of Utah. They visited our business yesterday. Very nice people. They are BYU fans. One of those guys lived one house down from Jesse Wade. He really REALLY likes this kid. He said it's going to hurt but he's going to have to root for the zags a little bit. I asked a few questions about wade and he was nothing but respectful of wades decision and says he's the real deal. I cannot wait for Wade to come play for us. Dave also said he seems a little bit better than the scouts say. Not sure if true or not but he does give a little more respect for his defense

We will see, but nice to hear from a BYU fan

NotoriousZ
11-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Most Mormans I know are wonderful people. But are the BYU fans required to hiss and boo EVERY SINGLE CALL that goes against them? I know that generally happens at other arenas, but you people go all crazy on even the obvious fouls against your team. Just curious if that behavior is believed to be part of the fans' job to help the team (which I don't think it does).

Hope you guys have a great season except during our battles.

BYU
11-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Most Mormans I know are wonderful people. But are the BYU fans required to hiss and boo EVERY SINGLE CALL that goes against them? I know that generally happens at other arenas, but you people go all crazy on even the obvious fouls against your team. Just curious if that behavior is believed to be part of the fans' job to help the team (which I don't think it does).

Hope you guys have a great season except during our battles.

I like being in the WCC. I think it's a long term home for BYU. I'll give you my honest thoughts on your question, even though I don't expect you to agree, or think I'm reasonable.

It boiled over after a couple of really badly officiated games, which really only had a few bad or questionable calls, followed with officials trying to gain back control over the game after the building erupted, but it was too late. It has not gone back to normal yet. There was some real anger opened up and directed towards "WCC refs" (yeah, fans get the pool, but most fan believe there is a difference in the real world).

I'll agree that most of the boos now are silly, but I understand the sentiment. I think the average BYU fan thinks the "WCC refs" were blowing their whistle on ticky tack fouls, and even had some phantom calls, against big men and take them out of the game. I think it will chill out by next season if there isn't a game that really fires fans up again this year.

In years past it took awhile in a game to get fans to start riding the refs when it did happen, but there does not seem to be a benefit of the doubt being given right now. Not a good combo when you are already pulling for one side and prone to see things your way.

Mantua
11-17-2016, 08:31 PM
First thought that came to my mind is I would take Tillie over Mika, a more pertinent and relevant comparison right now. Sabonis is way better than Mika and already in the NBA. Tillie is our Sabonis 2.0. Better than Mika

That sums up my take too.

DixieZag
11-17-2016, 08:47 PM
I like being in the WCC. I think it's a long term home for BYU. I'll give you my honest thoughts on your question, even though I don't expect you to agree, or think I'm reasonable.

It boiled over after a couple of really badly officiated games, which really only had a few bad or questionable calls, followed with officials trying to gain back control over the game after the building erupted, but it was too late. It has not gone back to normal yet. There was some real anger opened up and directed towards "WCC refs" (yeah, fans get the pool, but most fan believe there is a difference in the real world).

I'll agree that most of the boos now are silly, but I understand the sentiment. I think the average BYU fan thinks the "WCC refs" were blowing their whistle on ticky tack fouls, and even had some phantom calls, against big men and take them out of the game. I think it will chill out by next season if there isn't a game that really fires fans up again this year.

In years past it took awhile in a game to get fans to start riding the refs when it did happen, but there does not seem to be a benefit of the doubt being given right now. Not a good combo when you are already pulling for one side and prone to see things your way.

There may be some legitimacy to what you say. OTOH, your team plays a more physical game, some legal, some well-beyond legal, than I have ever seen. I say that as someone lucky enough to have seen many games from just a few rows up and able to see things not captured on TV.

I know everyone throws the occasional elbow, the slaps across the arms and grab. I have never seen a team do it with the intensity and consistency of BYU, and it's not really close.

That's not necessarily a put-down of your team. College BB is a tough game and our most famous alum - John Stockton - was known as a guy who took ...every advantage.

So, a BYU fan should factor in that your team's style of play is off the ball elbows, grabs/holds, slaps over arms and trips. It just is. I don't say that b/c you're a tough opponent, SMC doesn't do that, Michigan State didn't, Baylor didn't, SDSU started out doing some but cooled off, Notre Dame didn't, West Virginia ....you get the idea.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-18-2016, 04:45 AM
Concur 100% DixieZag. I have seen it at every GU BYU game I have seen live. I do not appreciate that style of play. I am pretty sure if Coach Rose did not condone it, it would not happen.

That said, BYU has a lot of skilled players and they definitely have the look of a tourney team. I think it is unfair to compare anyone in the WCC to Domas right now. I think Mika is a good player and is going to average a double double for BYU this season. Easy. We will all learn much more about his game when he goes up against top talent.

Same for Tillie and Collins. They are great, but I think it a little early to anoint them as the second coming.......

TexasZagFan
11-18-2016, 05:22 AM
Concur 100% DixieZag. I have seen it at every GU BYU game I have seen live. I do not appreciate that style of play. I am pretty sure if Coach Rose did not condone it, it would not happen.

That said, BYU has a lot of skilled players and they definitely have the look of a tourney team. I think it is unfair to compare anyone in the WCC to Domas right now. I think Mika is a good player and is going to average a double double for BYU this season. Easy. We will all learn much more about his game when he goes up against top talent.

Same for Tillie and Collins. They are great, but I think it a little early to anoint them as the second coming.......

My antipathy towards BYU goes back over 30 years, when I had season tickets at UTEP. It was the golden age of the WAC, where you'd win the conference title by following the formula of: win your home games, win half your road games.

From my perch behind one of the baskets 18 rows up, I saw how players would mix it up inside. BYU would take it a step further, and cry bloody murder when they were caught for a foul.

I saw the cheap shot that started this fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ygOC6i-ctQ

The BYU player threw a cheap shot elbow at Luster "Pony" Goodwin's mouth. Luster had recently gotten braces, which made it that much more egregious.

Fast forward 25 years to Kafusi's cheap shots, and it's obvious little has changed.

BYU
11-18-2016, 01:31 PM
I guess what's funny to me is I don't disagree that BYU plays physical basketball. Things get different in the reaction to that fact.

Basically, if you pictured BYU as an inner city college from back East you would have a good picture of the kind of ball BYU fans will respect and expect. That's what we play growing up and that's what we teach our kids to play.

I don't like when players cross the line, but I'd be mad if they were not giving little shots with forearms to slow guys down, etc... Throwing elbows is crossing the line to me. Most of what you guys hated about Bronson was just fine by me. Sorry, not looking for the team to politely lose by 20 when they can give it everything and make it a close game.

Teams who beat BYU OOC and only play a couple times often extremely complimentary of the the team, program, and fans. I've noticed fans of teams who play a couple times out of confrence and lose when they expect to win complain like crazy. A coach who will tell a kid he won't offer a scholarship if they go on a mission because missions ruin athletes can jump in front of the camera the next year and complain about "age advantages" when it suits him. So, basically as a BYU fan you know when people are complaining, things are going good.

Zag_Dad
11-18-2016, 01:46 PM
There may be some legitimacy to what you say. OTOH, your team plays a more physical game, some legal, some well-beyond legal, than I have ever seen. I say that as someone lucky enough to have seen many games from just a few rows up and able to see things not captured on TV.

I know everyone throws the occasional elbow, the slaps across the arms and grab. I have never seen a team do it with the intensity and consistency of BYU, and it's not really close.

That's not necessarily a put-down of your team. College BB is a tough game and our most famous alum - John Stockton - was known as a guy who took ...every advantage.

So, a BYU fan should factor in that your team's style of play is off the ball elbows, grabs/holds, slaps over arms and trips. It just is. I don't say that b/c you're a tough opponent, SMC doesn't do that, Michigan State didn't, Baylor didn't, SDSU started out doing some but cooled off, Notre Dame didn't, West Virginia ....you get the idea.

BYU most definitely has a reputation for playing more physical style of play than the average college basketball team. Perhaps unfair to use this as an example, but, I don't recall too many teams where a player is suspended for taking an unprovoked swing at an opponent like Emery did in the Utah game. It got to the point where Utah cancelled the series.