PDA

View Full Version : Do we have the shooters?

Hogan
11-15-2016, 08:58 PM
I know it is really early,but other than Mathews, I wonder if our outside shooting will be an issue. While Perkins shot a very respectable percentage last year and Williams-Goss is supposed to be much improved, as is Melson, I cannot help but fear this may be a relative weakness.

kitzbuel
11-15-2016, 09:19 PM
Mathews, Tillie, Collins, and Karno are the most consistent right now as Seacat pointed out in another thread. The rest of the team is a bit tepid. Those four are a handful and can do a lot of damage when combined with good defense. I think there will be more variety as the season progresses.

hooter73
11-15-2016, 09:24 PM
Just think if we didnt have Matthews...

Perkins can score from three as proven by his percentage, but hes not exactly taking five of those a game... or he shouldnt be. Hes goign to be re-trying to prove himself all over again and Im not looking forward to watching that replay from early last year. Between Goss and Melson, Im not liking the consistency. Yet another factor of why I hope Norvell is redshirting because of nagging knees and not because he wouldnt get time... we need a player like him to give us that complete team of options.

cggonzaga
11-15-2016, 11:00 PM
I know it is really early,but other than Mathews, I wonder if our outside shooting will be an issue. While Perkins shot a very respectable percentage last year and Williams-Goss is supposed to be much improved, as is Melson, I cannot help but fear this may be a relative weakness.

Matthews, Perkins, Melson, Goss, Collins, Tillie are all capable 3 point shooters. The 3pt shot is overrated however especially with this kind of a team that will never have major problems scoring the basketball because they have so much balance and can score in so many different ways. This is a much better 3pt shooting team than last years squad that shot 38% and ranked 55th in made 3 pointers.

seacatfan
11-15-2016, 11:15 PM
Yeah, pound it inside or let the guards dribble drive. 3 pointer doesn't need to be the focus of the offense. Mathews is deadly and Tillie has been nailing them so far as well. Plenty of other guys that can hit them, I think enough to keep most defenses from sagging.

DixieZag
11-15-2016, 11:56 PM
Perkin's 3 pt percentage might have been the most surprising and exciting revelation last year. I think he'll be just fine. Doesn't make the question less legitimate.

Bogozags
11-16-2016, 04:33 AM
Let's see Alberts and Melson have not made a three YET this season and Perkins is 1 for 6...I believe as does Seacat that all this will sort itself out over the next few games...

Coach Crazy
11-16-2016, 04:35 AM
This team is incredibly balanced in its scoring attack. Post, mid range, transition, getting to the line, and 3-or shooting. For this team, it can be as much about when and how, as opposed to how many.

If this year's squad has a lead or is tied, and puts together a nice defensive series or two, 2 or 3 bombs in a 2 minute span from Jordan could put a team away.

It could be his only points, and our only 3's, and that could be enough. So, 3 point shooting isn't something I'm worried about. Especially if our defense keeps up even 80% or so of what we're currently seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LongIslandZagFan
11-16-2016, 05:07 AM
The beauty of this team is that Few can rotate for the hot hands and ride them... defensively I think it is pretty consistent regardless of line-up.

bartruff1
11-16-2016, 06:25 AM
They can score....defense is the key to advancing at the Dance....and I already have them in the Tourney...

TheGonzagaFactor
11-16-2016, 06:32 AM

It's all relative. I'd say we are about as deep of a 3-pt shooting team as there is in NCAA basketball.

Watch other games and you'll find it very common (even for P5 schools) to have one semi-consistent 3 point shooter, who may not even be a starter, and basically everyone else is mediocre and inconsistent shooting 3s. We have one lights out shooter and 4 more in the backcourt alone that can shoot, plus at least 2 big men that can shoot the 3. Oh yeah and if Norvell joins the active roster there's another sniper.

Relative to other teams in D1, I would say we have an elite stable of 3pt shooters.

willandi
11-16-2016, 06:38 AM
Let's see Alberts and Melson have not made a three YET this season and Perkins is 1 for 6...I believe as does Seacat that all this will sort itself out over the next few games...

Melson hit his first one in the exhibition game. Not shooting a good percentage...yet, but needs to show, and hit a few, so teams don't completely lay off him.

Both Alberts and Melson have shown, in the past, that they are capable. Given time it should happen. Just not sure Alberts has the time.

Reborn
11-16-2016, 07:08 AM
THE ANSWER FOR ME IS YES. Team stats right now are a little low, but it's early, and although 36% is LITTLE LOW, BUT IT'S NOT BAD. We have some very good 3 pt shooters; Mathews, Perkins, JWG, Tillie, Collins, Melson, Norvell. I see a very good stable of 3 put shooters or what I like to call NINJA SHOOTERS. Right now as a team they are making 7.6 per game. that is very good I think.

We have some tough games coming up so we'll see how it goes in the next couple of weeks.

Go Zags!!!

Zagger
11-16-2016, 09:59 AM
My spin is much like others have mentioned .... It's a pretty new mix of Zags. I think that until this bunch plays a really good D team we may not find our best shooter(s). As the teamwork coalesces we should see more attempts dropping (they'll be in better position to make their shot(s)). We certainly have a trove of Zags who are darn good at what they do. The more time they spend together, experience they get .... They're going to be hard to beat.

maynard g krebs
11-16-2016, 11:28 AM
SDSU is long, athletic, and built for defense, even w/o the missing players. A couple of guys (NWG, Perkins) took 3's that didn't look comfortable/in rhythm to me. That's a big factor in shooting imo. As these guys play together more everything becomes more fluid and second nature. I think it will get better, and it's too soon to call it an issue.

All 6 of the perimeter guys can shoot it from 3 at least competently, as can Collins/Tillie.

TexasZagFan
11-16-2016, 11:32 AM

Yes, it's early, the equivalent of the first week or two in April of the baseball season. I expect things to sort themselves out with a few more games. I certainly do not expect JW3 to go 1-9 the rest of the season.

zag67
11-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Maynard, I also agree. I think as they get more use to each other, they will be taking shots more in the flow. And if the 3 is not working drive and kick it to another to have an open shot.