PDA

View Full Version : Most pleasant surprise so far

tyra
11-15-2016, 08:01 PM
Okay, I know we are only three games in but who or what has been your most pleasant surprise so far?

strikenowhere
11-15-2016, 08:02 PM
Okay, I know we are only three games in but who or what has been your most pleasant surprise so far?

I think Tillie definitely is - I would have bet he'd have redshirted this year before the start of the season, but after seeing his play he just really stands out.

cjm720
11-15-2016, 08:05 PM
Tillie stands out the most, but lots to be excited about.

maynard g krebs
11-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Tillie.

Coach Crazy
11-15-2016, 08:48 PM
How can it not be Tillie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seacatfan
11-16-2016, 12:10 AM
Going with the crowd, definitely Tillie.

DixieZag
11-16-2016, 12:57 AM
Yep. And not just play, size. I mean only that he's not a bean pole to be easily pushed around.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-16-2016, 01:54 AM
I think Tillie definitely is - I would have bet he'd have redshirted this year before the start of the season, but after seeing his play he just really stands out.

Yup.

krii
11-16-2016, 03:04 AM
Two things:

1. Tillie.
2. Karnowski diving for the loose balls & just looking a bit out of shape. I mean I expected him to play well but this is surprisingly good.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-16-2016, 03:15 AM
Tillie for being able to handle the physicality (so far) and his overall impact: rebounds, steals, 3pt shooting, nifty passing. Dude is a baller and may well be starting before too long.

Reborn
11-16-2016, 03:41 AM
for me it's not all that simple. There is also PK, Melson and NORVELL. bUT, YES, when I look at all things I have to pick TILLIE BECAUSE HE IS TRULY AMAZING. But, oh my God Mt Karno has played how I thought he would play if he ever got to play his senior year. I really did wonder if we'd get to see him play this year at all. And he IS really playing great. IMO He is built to make others great. Right now He looks like the GLUE guy for the Zags.HE AND silas MELSON. TtHESE IDEAS WILL SURELY SURPRISE SOME OF YOU. jUST KEEP WATCHING.

As far as Norvell goes, what is up with him. IS HE RED-Shirting, is he really as good as I think he is, because he could be. COULD THE REAL SURPRISE BE HOW GOOD THIS ZAG team really is. i knew we'd be good, but i never knew HOW they'd be.

kitzbuel
11-16-2016, 04:55 AM
for me it's not all that simple. There is also PK, Melson and NORVELL. bUT, YES, when I look at all things I have to pick TILLIE BECAUSE HE IS TRULY AMAZING. But, oh my God Mt Karno has played how I thought he would play if he ever got to play his senior year. I really did wonder if we'd get to see him play this year at all. And he IS really playing great. IMO He is built to make others great. Right now He looks like the GLUE guy for the Zags.HE AND silas MELSON. TtHESE IDEAS WILL SURELY SURPRISE SOME OF YOU. jUST KEEP WATCHING.

As far as Norvell goes, what is up with him. IS HE RED-Shirting, is he really as good as I think he is, because he could be. COULD THE REAL SURPRISE BE HOW GOOD THIS ZAG team really is. i knew we'd be good, but i never knew HOW they'd be.

Reborn, consensus seems to be that Norvell is a strong candidate for a redshirt year. http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58005-Norvell

Bogozags
11-16-2016, 06:04 AM
Yes, Tille is a pleasant surprise as is Collins...Those two could start and don't think we miss a beat and I wouldn't have said that before the season began...those two are only going to get better and better with each game they play...The only comparison I can make between Tillie and Sabonis is their quick feet...they move exceptionally well to get rebounds and that isn't a skill you can team. Some players have it and others are stationary when they rebound...and Tillie's is a much better shooter than DS at the same stage. Collins is also so D1 ready...the same type of body as KO. Not as good a ball handler but much more developed than KO...These two guys are imo the best two freshman players I've seen at GU...

Coach Few stated that he would be playing and not be a RS...he is scary good, which is why I think Coach Few is just keeping him on the bench until he has healed.

LongIslandZagFan
11-16-2016, 06:05 AM
Tillie and based on one game against a high level team... the defense. Hope we see more of that output on the defensive end.

Zaga
11-16-2016, 06:10 AM
Overall team competence, defense and speed of play. Really impressed by Collins and Tillie's hustle, IQ.... NWG? finally we have a guard that can penetrate the defense which opens opportunity for others. We are the deepest team IMO to date. Go Zag's

jazzdelmar
11-16-2016, 06:37 AM
No one loves one and done Collins more than me. But to compare him w sabonis now is absurd. D had a world class motor day one. Collins has skills.

HenneZag
11-16-2016, 06:52 AM
No one loves one and done Collins more than me. But to compare him w sabonis now is absurd. D had a world class motor day one. Collins has skills.

I agree with Jazz here. Two different players. Sabonis had an intensity about him and a little bit different skill set. Collins is tough as well but more finesse at this point. Both players have great skill sets but I have a hard time saying too much yet. Sabonis to me is a once and a life time player.

zag67
11-16-2016, 07:00 AM
I will go with Reborn and many others on Tillie. But I also think the overall hustle and the defensive effort that they put out has been fantastic. Even when their shots were not falling they were putting out super effort doing other things. They have been fun to watch and they are deep

Reborn
11-16-2016, 07:03 AM

Hi Jazz. Good seeing you. ALWAYS ENJOY READING YOUR POSTS hope tou are having a wonderful Autumn back there. I may be wrong, but I think people have been comparing Tillie to Sabonis, especially when it comes to footwork and desire to rebound, toughness. i WOULD SAY THAT THEY HAVE A SIMILAR MOTOR. our would call intensity. I feel that all of us love Collins, but This post is about who surprises us the most.

bartruff1
11-16-2016, 07:12 AM
PK's recovery...

Coach Crazy
11-16-2016, 08:04 AM

Collins also has length and athleticism that Domas does not. And he's a better shooter than Domas.

Whether he will match, had yet to be seen. But he won't have to prove as much. He is closer to what NBA scouts are looking for.

I am rooting for a one- or two-and-done, unless the kid is dead set on begging here longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zagdawg
11-16-2016, 08:18 AM
Tillie has been my biggest surprise. With his injury keeping him off the court last year and needing to put on muscle/size I did not expect him to have this kind of impact this early.

GoZags
11-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Tillie has been my biggest surprise. With his injury keeping him off the court last year and needing to put on muscle/size I did not expect him to have this kind of impact this early.

I love seeing a healthy (and getting healthier) Shem-nasty do his thing. His passes from the post when the double team comes are things of beauty (whether it's hitting Mathews or another shooter on the perimeter or a slashing teammate to the bucket).

Tillie is fast becoming a "favorite" for many (including my wife). The guy is tough ... and has battled back to be in the position he's in right now.
http://www.fiba.com/news/tillie-takes-big-step-back-from-injury-setbacks

Here's hoping this TEAM continues to improve (Farnham said it's Mathew's opinion that the offense is only about 50 percent "there").

The 2-3 Zone (and it's success ... and smoooooth nature) has also been a VERY pleasant surprise.

Edited to add: It's been 6-8 weeks since we heard the news that Ken Bone will be part of the program this year .... and it's my belief that his contributions WILL help this team, this year. Gonzaga is fortunate that he didn't land one of the jobs he was after last year ....

DixieZag
11-16-2016, 08:58 AM
I already mentioned Tillie as mine, it's funny that he's like Harris in the way that few here had heard of him, seen him play, etc. He walks on campus and in any regular year (like Harris' frosh year) could start and be huge.

CdAZagFan
11-16-2016, 08:59 AM
Definitely Tillie...

But the other pleasant surprise to me has been the offensive potency (and huge offensive potential) of this team. Losing Wiltjer, Domas and McClellan had me wondering if this year's team would struggle to score a little bit - but definitely not so.

dan71w
11-16-2016, 11:05 AM
KillingIT Tillie gets my vote. of course really we had i think just the 3vs3 video of him before, and then his injury kept him out of the spot light over there. I predict he will win us many games with his hustle and nose for the ball.

CDC84
11-16-2016, 11:13 AM
Tillie by a mile.

ZagsGoZags
11-16-2016, 02:28 PM
Collins was fabulous, but I almost expected it. Tillie moves around the court with a fluidy and quickness that reminds me of NBA wings; his strength is not bulky, but sinewy (is that a word) and lean. I hope we don't have too many one and dones this season, but it is a familiar problem for elite teams. We have never had one. The way our recruiting has been going as of late, we better get used to it. GU has never had a one and done in its whole history, to my knowledge. I am also surprised at Jordan's handles and movement without the ball. There is a bit of unpleasant surprise for me, in Goss and even Perkins, in poor shot selection, forcing shots a bit, and also not patiently setting up the offensive sets I am used to seeing GU play for at least a decade. Josh knows what to do, did it last year in Feb and March and I expect it to appear soon. Preseason I thought Goss might be a one and done, but (admittedly its just the beginning of the season and 3 games isn't really enough for generalizing) under pressure he seems to start plays as much in the UW way as the GU way, IMO.

bballbeachbum
11-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Tillie, and that zone D

Zagger
11-16-2016, 03:10 PM
All those new faces and they're soooo good! I had to have the Zags roster up on my phone @ McCarthy during the exhibition game. The surprise is that I tempered my expectations not wanting to go overboard on the gang but they're really good. I think they'll begin to feed off one another Big Time as the season progresses. For the other teams it'll be darn hard to keep track of which Zag they'd most want to stay on the bench. I thought Triano and Bakamus also looked good on the floor. I think we'll see a 20 point (or more) cushion happen a few times this season.

RenoZag
11-16-2016, 03:49 PM
Not having to listen to Greg Heister and Dan Dickau for the Utah Valley broadcast

CDC84
11-16-2016, 03:58 PM
Not having to listen to Greg Heister and Dan Dickau for the Utah Valley broadcast

I hope it continues. Nothing against Dan, but Fox is a really good game analyst on his own. One is enough.

ZagNative
11-16-2016, 04:04 PM
I hope it continues. Nothing against Dan, but Fox is a really good game analyst on his own. One is enough.Agreed!

gonzagafan62
11-16-2016, 04:20 PM
Surprised at Tillie for sure.

Once and Future Zag
11-16-2016, 04:39 PM
I'm most pleasantly surprised at how well all these (mostly new) parts seem to be fitting together.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-16-2016, 05:03 PM
Collins was fabulous, but I almost expected it. Tillie moves around the court with a fluidy and quickness that reminds me of NBA wings; his strength is not bulky, but sinewy (is that a word) and lean. I hope we don't have too many one and dones this season, but it is a familiar problem for elite teams. We have never had one. The way our recruiting has been going as of late, we better get used to it. GU has never had a one and done in its whole history, to my knowledge. I am also surprised at Jordan's handles and movement without the ball. There is a bit of unpleasant surprise for me, in Goss and even Perkins, in poor shot selection, forcing shots a bit, and also not patiently setting up the offensive sets I am used to seeing GU play for at least a decade. Josh knows what to do, did it last year in Feb and March and I expect it to appear soon. Preseason I thought Goss might be a one and done, but (admittedly its just the beginning of the season and 3 games isn't really enough for generalizing) under pressure he seems to start plays as much in the UW way as the GU way, IMO.

Agree 100% on all counts. Thanks for posting!

Outraged
11-16-2016, 11:18 PM
Not having a "designated passer" that no one guards.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
11-16-2016, 11:48 PM
Is it just me, or is the WCC looking surprisingly strong?

USF, Pepperdine, Pacific all with solid wins. Portland won a game on the road...granted, these games haven't been against "good" teams, but it feels like these are games that those teams would've lost in years past.