PDA

View Full Version : My first time

maynard g krebs
11-15-2016, 06:51 PM
Last night was my first visit to the new Kennel, thanks to a kind benefactor with an extra ticket. Here are a few impressions:

The building is just gorgeous, especially given the budget. Open, airy feel, and I like the fact that you can see the court from the mid-level walkway at the corners. It has the feel of a scaled down version of a big time arena. The people responsible for this building did a terrific job.

I've been to one other game in Spokane, Green Bay on a Sunday afternoon Stepp/Dickau's first year in the old building. Just everything from the building to cheerleaders/dance team and the whole production is on a completely different level. It's easy to see why the current level of recruits is coming now.

My friend wanted me to experience the Kennel Club, and I had told him I didn't care if they were there or not; I just wanted to see the best opponent available. After going, I understand his point; the energy they create is second to none, and I've been to games in at least a couple of legendary places over the years.

The team, in person, all you can say is wow. I've been to almost a couple dozen games since 97 now, and this group is the first that could be mistaken for Kansas or Arizona etc walking through an airport. Really striking to see them as a group in person for the first time.

As to the game, Collins, Tillie, and Matthews really stood out. Collins/Matthews I expected it; Tillie is just a revelation. Active, quick, and an uncanny nose for the ball. My brother, who is a Duck fan, watched last night on tv and said both Collins and Tillie look like NBA players.

Norvell looks bigger in person than I thought he was. Seemed to move pretty well in warmups. I still hope they play him this year assuming the knee feels better; over a long season 4 players for 3 spots isn't enough.

Reborn
11-15-2016, 07:28 PM
Good four you, Maynard, Glad you had a good time. A VERY GOOD POST. i enjjoy reading about the experience of our broyhers going to see theie Zags in the Kennel.

Go Zags!!!

TheZagPhish
11-15-2016, 07:30 PM
Last night was my first visit to the new Kennel, thanks to a kind benefactor with an extra ticket.

Ah! Excellent!

Nice in-person reporting, maynard!

JPtheBeasta
11-15-2016, 08:50 PM
Last night was my first visit to the new Kennel, thanks to a kind benefactor with an extra ticket. Here are a few impressions:

The building is just gorgeous, especially given the budget. Open, airy feel, and I like the fact that you can see the court from the mid-level walkway at the corners. It has the feel of a scaled down version of a big time arena. The people responsible for this building did a terrific job.

I've been to one other game in Spokane, Green Bay on a Sunday afternoon Stepp/Dickau's first year in the old building. Just everything from the building to cheerleaders/dance team and the whole production is on a completely different level. It's easy to see why the current level of recruits is coming now.

My friend wanted me to experience the Kennel Club, and I had told him I didn't care if they were there or not; I just wanted to see the best opponent available. After going, I understand his point; the energy they create is second to none, and I've been to games in at least a couple of legendary places over the years.

The team, in person, all you can say is wow. I've been to almost a couple dozen games since 97 now, and this group is the first that could be mistaken for Kansas or Arizona etc walking through an airport. Really striking to see them as a group in person for the first time.

As to the game, Collins, Tillie, and Matthews really stood out. Collins/Matthews I expected it; Tillie is just a revelation. Active, quick, and an uncanny nose for the ball. My brother, who is a Duck fan, watched last night on tv and said both Collins and Tillie look like NBA players.

Norvell looks bigger in person than I thought he was. Seemed to move pretty well in warmups. I still hope they play him this year assuming the knee feels better; over a long season 4 players for 3 spots isn't enough.

I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks.

GonzaGAW
11-15-2016, 09:17 PM
I get to see maybe 5 games a year at the McCarthy athletic center (and there last night as well), so I found your comments a refreshing reminder, of how unique and special that facility is, and how the fans enhance the experience.

sittingon50
11-15-2016, 09:33 PM
According to several SDST fans, no big deal.