PDA

View Full Version : Ducks bomb in Waco

MontanaCoyote
11-15-2016, 06:14 PM
Unranked Baylor beat number 4 Oregon today 66-49. Oregon played w/o Dillon Brooks, but maybe their ranking was, in fact, too high if they lost by the spread they did to an unranked team? Maybe their bench isn't strong enough to compensate for one player's absence? Or, is Brooks THAT good?

It's early, but could this Oregon loss possibly have seeding implications for the ZAG'S on down the line?

You vets, help out the novice here!

maynard g krebs
11-15-2016, 07:04 PM
Ducks are my "other" team, so:

I've thought all along that they were going to miss Cook a lot more than people realized. And, Cook/Brooks as a tandem were pretty unstoppable; both matchup nightmares.

Altman himself has said they are over-ranked now. Dylan Ennis was expected to do a lot for them and he looks extremely rusty. Casey Benson is a backup quality guy who filled in last year and did a great job taking care of the ball and setting those guys up, but his effectiveness looks limited now. Payton Pritchard is a freshman who's gonna be great but needs to develop.

Baylor plays zone, and the Ducks aren't a great shooting team overall and had trouble penetrating the zone; hesitant and indecisive.

As to implications- it's one game on the road v a quality opponent. Last year the Ducks lost early to UNLV and Boise in road games, and got the 1 seed, and this Baylor team is better than both.

gonstu
11-15-2016, 07:26 PM
Unranked Baylor beat number 4 Oregon today 66-49. Oregon played w/o Dillon Brooks, but maybe their ranking was, in fact, too high if they lost by the spread they did to an unranked team? Maybe their bench isn't strong enough to compensate for one player's absence? Or, is Brooks THAT good?

It's early, but could this Oregon loss possibly have seeding implications for the ZAG'S on down the line?

YES!! You're right it's early, but it's good for the zags. It may be the Kool-Aid talking, but until Zags lose they are the 1-seed out West (in my mind anyway). Oregon is big competition for that.

TexasZagFan
11-16-2016, 09:51 AM

Baylor might not be ranked, but Scott Drew has taken them to the NCAA on multiple occasions. Waco is 90 miles from Dallas, and 100+ miles from Austin, so they're a bit isolated.

I'm not at all surprised at Baylor's win.

willandi
11-16-2016, 07:17 PM
Baylor might not be ranked, but Scott Drew has taken them to the NCAA on multiple occasions. Waco is 90 miles from Dallas, and 100+ miles from Austin, so they're a bit isolated.

I'm not at all surprised at Baylor's win.

Isn't everything in Texas 100 miles from anything? LOL

TexasZagFan
11-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Isn't everything in Texas 100 miles from anything? LOL

Almost...possible exceptions include Alpine, Del Rio, Eagle Pass.

I've been meaning to take a trip down to Davis Mountains. Less than 100 acres are under vine, Cabernet Sauvignon and Zinfandel are the two prominent varietals. The Fort Davis area is rich in history, and the fort was home to all-black regiments.

We'll be heading down to Waco on Saturday, as our HS advanced to the 3rd round of the playoffs.