• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Norvell?

Is it certain that Norvell is red shirting?
  • kitzbuel
    • Feb 2007

Seems like the option is certainly still in place.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• btzag
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Feb 2007

I don't know how anyone could think otherwise. He plays in the exhibition that doesn't count against the red shirt status and then does not see the court in the two counting games even though few emptied the bench of every single suited up player. Either that or he's moved behind Triano and Rem in the rotation.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by btzag View Post
        I don't know how anyone could think otherwise. He plays in the exhibition that doesn't count against the red shirt status and then does not see the court in the two counting games even though few emptied the bench of every single suited up player. Either that or he's moved behind Triano and Rem in the rotation.

Comment

• GoZags
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          Is it certain that Norvell is red shirting?
          Far from "official" but I'd heard that they wanted to take a few weeks and see what was happening with his knee. I believe there was soreness after the exhibition game. He IS practicing and available in an emergency but if there was a "cliche" to use it would be "slow and steady wins the race".
          sigpic
          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
          ——-
          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
            Far from "official" but I'd heard that they wanted to take a few weeks and see what was happening with his knee. I believe there was soreness after the exhibition game. He IS practicing and available in an emergency but if there was a "cliche" to use it would be "slow and steady wins the race".
            this makes absolute sense. If he has any lingering physical issues it is best to see him come through with complete healing and thus complete confidence. At that point they can determine if red shirt is the option which my guess will hinge on the timing of his full recovery. He is one of those I was looking forward to seeing play alot
            The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• DukeSilver
              Kennel Club Material
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by btzag View Post

If he was certainly redshirting, then he wouldn't have been suited up for the last two games. Definitely something more going on, I assume it has to do with trying to let his knee heal more. If he can get healthy, I'm all for him playing this season, even if his minutes are limited.

Comment

• CanadianZagsFan
                Kennel Club Material
                • Jun 2016

If his knee is 80-90% fine, can he still play the past couple games ... not working out... Medical red shirt ? Or with prolonged type injury dating back to summer/further the NCAA would not allow GU to go that route.

??

--Is he going in pre game warmups ? Going full speed ? How about practices ? He's one of my fav players on this team already. I just believe he'll be special talent for GU, health pending of course v

Comment

• GoZags
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DukeSilver View Post
                  If he was certainly redshirting, then he wouldn't have been suited up for the last two games. Definitely something more going on, I assume it has to do with trying to let his knee heal more. If he can get healthy, I'm all for him playing this season, even if his minutes are limited.
                  Norvell suited up but did not "warm up" last night. He shot a little bit but didn't fully warm up.
                  sigpic
                  “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                  ——-
                  List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                  Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• sittingon50
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DukeSilver View Post

Draino suited for every game his Freshman year; didn't play.
                    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                      Zag for Life
                      • May 2008

My guess is that they could use him if they had an injury but they prefer to redshirt him. Granted, this is probably due to the knee but there are also only so many minutes available and he'd be the 5th option at the 1 thru 3 spots.

Comment

• soccerdud
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                        Draino suited for every game his Freshman year; didn't play.
                        and melson, his freshman year. was ready to go-- and then had to when josh got kicked.

Comment

• btzag
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by soccerdud View Post
                          and melson, his freshman year. was ready to go-- and then had to when josh got kicked.
                          This is exactly the situation I think Norvell is in. I would be blown away if Norvell sees any time if all the guards stay healthy, eligible and playing at the level we have seen to start the year.

Comment

• timgozags
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Nov 2008

In my opinion, Norvell is totally different from Melson or Dranginis. He is a lot more mature than both of them on their freshman years. I don't think Norvell will be around long, and if we don't use him it will be a waste. If he is ready and healthy, I rather play him now than burn 1 year of redshirt. Like Kelly Olynyk, we could've used him 1 more year than sitting him RS and he left early anyway. But it's just my opinion, i am sure the coach has very good reasons to sit him the last 2 games

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
                              My guess is that they could use him if they had an injury but they prefer to redshirt him. Granted, this is probably due to the knee but there are also only so many minutes available and he'd be the 5th option at the 1 thru 3 spots.
                              I am significantly missing something that Few is seeing if he honestly thinks Bryan Alberts is the better option over Norvell (as you state above).

Comment

Working...
                              X