X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kitzbuel
    • Feb 2007

The Zone Defense

That I said the longest I have seen Few stick with a zone. It completely derailed SDSU. They had tremendous difficulty getting inside it only to be met by 7 footer she guarding the rim. Then when the did try to get in transition, Melson, Tillie, and NWG did a great job disrupting it.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Only one game but fishing for opinions; when was the last GU defense you might compare this group to?
    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Coach Crazy
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
      Only one game but fishing for opinions; when was the last GU defense you might compare this group to?
      Can you really make a comparison? They've never had this kind of team. Ever. It's crazy. We talk about the depth and the talent during the off season's and *this* year it's actually that "Here's Johnny" 8-10 man death squad.

They have size, speed, quickness, and athleticism. They can block shots, steal the ball, and hold to their assignments...I mean seriously. I would love to see them being able to do what they did tonight in both man and zone. But if they can shut teams down with even a basic 23, I'll take it.

They had nearly half the team with an "off night" and they won by 20. Think about what it will be like when everyone is on. I won't get ahead of myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• 23zagmd
        Kennel Club Material
        • Nov 2012

That is one horrific shooting team....Thats why he stayed with the zone. However, I length on the perimeter is something we have never really had in the past and I just can't believe how far along Collins and Tillie are already. Impressive!

Comment

• kitzbuel
          • Feb 2007

The constant switching of players had to also be confusing for SDSU. About the time they decided they want to try powering the ball inside against Collins, in comes Karno and the run into a brick wall.
          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Coach Crazy
            • Apr 2011

The Zone Defense

Originally posted by 23zagmd View Post
            That is one horrific shooting team....Thats why he stayed with the zone. However, I length on the perimeter is something we have never really had in the past and I just can't believe how far along Collins and Tillie are already. Impressive!
            I've talked Collins up, so I'm glad he's not making me look like a moron. But I didn't have Tillie doing this. He could end up with a Freshman campaign that in multiple ways is similar to that of Domas's. It's very early, but he doesn't look like a fluke. So, we'll see if he can get there.

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Coach Crazy View Post
              I've talked Collins up, so I'm glad he's not making me look like a moron. But I didn't have Tillie doing this. He could end up with a Freshman campaign that in multiple ways is similar to that of Domas's. It's very early, but he doesn't look like a fluke. So, we'll see if he can get there.
              tillie is more skilled and a better athlete compared to sabonis...but i don't think he would stand a chance in a fight, even if he did put on a few pounds. tillie has a motor, but i'm not sure he has beastmode in him...we'll see

his length and quickness make him really good in a zone though...he'd be incredible playing for the 'cuse.

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                The constant switching of players had to also be confusing for SDSU. About the time they decided they want to try powering the ball inside against Collins, in comes Karno and the run into a brick wall.
                Right! I think it will confuse and frustrate a lot of teams. Other teams will adjust better than SDSU for sure, but it's going to be a big difference maker all season. It won't happen, but with all our talent I think it could, and without a downside; 5 out,
                5 in. Too wild, but would it be fun to see or what!

Comment

• Coach Crazy
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
                  tillie is more skilled and a better athlete compared to sabonis...but i don't think he would stand a chance in a fight, even if he did put on a few pounds. tillie has a motor, but i'm not sure he has beastmode in him...we'll see

his length and quickness make him really good in a zone though...he'd be incredible playing for the 'cuse.
                  Tillie is a better shooter, athlete, and is longer. Sure. But that has to translate to on-court production. Which he is doing...two games in.

If his advanced stats, at the end of the year, register at the same level as Domas's...it will be interesting to see how that translates into draft stock either this off-season or into next season.

Comment

• seacatfan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2014

I can't remember a GU team ever have this much length overall. And active, quick players too. Translates very well for trapping, pressing, getting in passing lanes, and generally making life miserable for the opponent. I'll take more of that, thank you!

Comment

• zagamatic
                      Zag for Life
                      • Aug 2009

I seem to recall hearing that outside shooting is an issue for Arizona, perhaps we may see a lot more zone in that game since their bigs are an obvious strength

Comment

• seacatfan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by zagamatic View Post
                        I seem to recall hearing that outside shooting is an issue for Arizona, perhaps we may see a lot more zone in that game since their bigs are an obvious strength
                        From what I've seen so far that would be a good plan. Zone D seems to confuse Arizona in general. I wonder if some of it is because Miller absolutely refuses to play zone himself, they probably don't practice against zones much either. Markannen has looked good so far, but Ristic was completely ineffective against Michigan St. He was fairly good off the bench and starting in place of an injured Tarczewski several games last year. They have a JC transfer, Pinder, that Zags fans will probably appreciate. A bit of an undersized 4, but a real hustle guy, has a nose for the ball. Comanche is a bit of a wildcard. Had some good minutes against Sparty. Really long, lanky but definitely stronger than last year.

Comment

• avid-zag-fan
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Oct 2007

I think the zone with Downs and Daye on the corners was the the best ever, but Few mostly stayed with his best offensive team in those day.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2008

most interesting to me was the Zags used their zone last night to pressure the perimeter and challenge 3 point shooters, not to pack it in to defend the paint

Comment

• Zagnificent
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post

He has French beastmode, which is different than Lithuanian beast mode.
                              GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

Comment

Working...
                              X