PDA

View Full Version : OT: Australia Emerges as the New Front in the College Recruiting Wars

Zagdawg
11-13-2016, 06:36 AM
Interesting option for some players who do not want to go to college.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/sports/basketball/australia-college-basketball-recruiting.html?mtrref=undefined&_r=0

Birddog
11-13-2016, 09:18 AM
That's one savvy basketball exec. Taking the mother and prospect to Olive Garden probably was the ace in the hole, I would of thought "Outback" would be a natural and a "Bloomin' Onion" rather than breadsticks.

DixieZag
11-13-2016, 11:14 AM
Wow.

If a guy truly is a one and done, not just dreaming, that seems to make a lot more sense than going to 2 semesters. Make mid-six figures? Put half in the bank?

And, traveling abroad is its own an educational experience. Done right, I can see that as being a hugely attractive option.

btzag
11-13-2016, 11:50 AM
Huh, coming off the bench and avg 7.3 ppg...is that lottery pick numbers? Vs starting at Arizona, being coached by Sean Miller and challenging yourself against the best 18-22 years olds in the world? If he's truly great he's going to make ridiculous amounts of money either way but personally don't see a mass exodus of players going that direction.

OZZY
11-13-2016, 04:07 PM
I think it is a win for him all round as it suits his situation.

Adelaide is a great little city with very knowledgeable basketball fans, he is getting to play against decent competition and is learning from a patient coaching staff.

I don't see a huge number taking up this option and heading "down under" (very few of our own kids play pro ball ILO of St. Marys.....)

Good luck to him.

thespywhozaggedme
11-13-2016, 05:52 PM
Huh, coming off the bench and avg 7.3 ppg...is that lottery pick numbers? Vs starting at Arizona, being coached by Sean Miller and challenging yourself against the best 18-22 years olds in the world? If he's truly great he's going to make ridiculous amounts of money either way but personally don't see a mass exodus of players going that direction.

A lot of the kids drafted out of the European leagues have worse stats than that.

seacatfan
11-13-2016, 06:32 PM
Everything I read during the spring is that Ferguson wasn't going to be cleared to play as a Fr. In this article he says otherwise. Hmm.

Many kids seem to be interested in growing their brand heading into the NBA. I think going to college for a year still gives them a humongous edge as far as their brand is concerned. I don't think any of these games in foreign leagues are televised on regular cable packages here in the US. As far as casual fans are concerned, these kids disappear into limbo for a year before they come back to the US. I still think it's not going to be the path chosen by the majority any time soon.