PDA

View Full Version : Bud Withers (somewhat OT)

sittingon50
11-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Got word last night that Bud is self-publishing a new book about the Zags (men & women). Hopes to have it out by Thanksgiving. My tired old brain has already whiffed on the title.

Am told it should be available @ the GU bookstore, Amazon, eventually (?) Aunties, etc. Will add more details as they become available, but if you hear anything yourself, please add on.

Really looking forward to picking that one up.

zag buddy
11-12-2016, 10:37 AM
He has always been my favorite sports reporter.

sittingon50
11-15-2016, 09:19 PM
(Passing along info I got from Bud regarding his book. Please check it out.)

I thought Iíd give you a little better rundown on the Zag book Iíve done. Itís ďGlory Hounds,Ē a takeoff on the Bulldog nickname.

It strikes me that the Gonzaga basketball phenomenon is now so long-running Ė a generation, really Ė that it needed not only some attempt at putting it into a national perspective, but also just a stab at pulling together a lot of the elements that have made it work, from Mark Few to Tommy Lloyd to the arena project to the longevity of so many people there. It also looks at back stories like Adam Morrison and Josh Heytvelt, the redshirt-season phenomenon that has been so good to Gonzaga, and the oddity that GU has flourished while having such modest success in the nearby talent pool in Seattle.

The book also examines how the womenís program rose to prominence under Kelly Graves, and takes a close look at Lisa Fortier and Courtney Vandersloot.

Itís the first book Iíve self-published. It should be out later this month on a variety of distributors Ė Amazon, e-books and bookstores.

seacatfan
11-15-2016, 11:12 PM
This sounds very intriguing. Glad it also covers the women's team. There for a few years they were actually surpassing the relative success of the men's team.

vandalzag
11-29-2016, 09:30 AM
Anybody else read this. Just started and some interesting things. Good get for $10.

https://www.amazon.com/Glory-Hounds-Northwest-Reshaped-Basketball-ebook/dp/B01N95O6AG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480444132&sr=8-2&keywords=glory+hounds

sittingon50
11-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Will check for it at the bookstore when I go to the game Thurs.

Looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the heads-up, Vandal.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-29-2016, 10:34 AM
This sounds very intriguing. Glad it also covers the women's team. There for a few years they were actually surpassing the relative success of the men's team.

Not true. They have been good and are still improving, but:

1. Women's NCAA basketball is MUCH more top heavy in terms of talent and resources, it's easier to make it far as there are fewer good teams (assuming you avoid 1 seeds as long as possible).

2. They got to play a lot of NCAA games at home, which is unfair to the higher seeds that had to come to Spokane. Even as an 11 seed they only had to go to Corvallis, then BACK TO SPOKANE as an 11 seed to host a 1 seed. Ridiculously unfair. What was the point of Tennessee getting a 1 seed if they had to go play a road game across the country?

If the men played their NCAA tournament games at home, they'd probably go at least one round deeper every year and would certainly have multiple Final Fours. It's a massive advantage.

I do like to see the women's program becoming more relevant, adds to the "basketball school" profile. Combining the success of the women's and men's teams, no other mid-major has been close to as successful, so it's good that Withers would include them.

To clarify, the women's team has had a lot of success, but to say they were surpassing the relative success of the men's team is too much.

seacatfan
11-29-2016, 01:23 PM
NCAA men's and women's bball are 2 entirely different animals. Home court sites for early rounds might be completely unfair, but it's a decision the NCAA has made to try to make sure fans show up at games. Early round Tournament action played in half or more than half empty arenas is bad for business. So it is what it is. That being said, I'm not gonna change my tune. I think the women had 3 straight years of at least Sweet 16, including an Elite 8 run. Just like how the men started. And that was when the men's team was stuck in a rut of 2 and out pretty much every year for quite a few seasons. Few came up with a blueprint and Graves did a magnificent job of more or less doing the same thing with the women's program that Few had done earlier with the men's.

That Elite 8 run. Did you watch any of that? Vandersloot was playing at a phenomenal level, and several other players were also really good. The women's team absolutely was better than the men's team relatively speaking at that time. That's not even slightly debatable in my mind.

But hey they all play for the same school, success for either the men's or the women's team is a good thing. Now the last several years the men have had longer runs in the Tourney and women are in a transitional period with a new coach, so it's swung back the other way.

2wiceright
11-30-2016, 10:52 AM
Anybody else read this. Just started and some interesting things. Good get for $10.

https://www.amazon.com/Glory-Hounds-Northwest-Reshaped-Basketball-ebook/dp/B01N95O6AG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480444132&sr=8-2&keywords=glory+hounds

Thanks Vandalzag! Just downloaded it to my Kindle and will have something good to read tonight at work, LOL....

rennis
11-30-2016, 11:31 AM
this is awesome!

RenoZag
12-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Started reading it last night. Nice appetizer before the Arizona game.

VinnyZag
12-02-2016, 06:30 PM
Withers is writing a blog in coordination with his book. It's right here (http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/284238/zagshuskies-reunited-and-it-feels-so).

A quote from the first post on the blog:

From the time I’ve spent around Few, I’m fairly certain he’s lukewarm about the restart of the series. He figures his program has long passed the Huskies. And whether you believe that’s reason to abandon it, it’s hard to argue it hasn’t.

Direly, ahead of a Pac-12 schedule that appears pedestrian, the Huskies need to make a statement that they’re relevant. There’s nothing else in December with any juice.

Ten years later, the Huskies need the Zags in the worst way. Go figure.

sittingon50
12-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Thanks Vinny.

TheZagPhish
12-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Thanks Vinny.

Man, Withers can write.

Rangerzag
12-03-2016, 04:51 AM
As of Thursday, Bud's book is available in paperback:

https://www.amazon.com/Glory-Hounds-Northwest-Reshaped-Basketball/dp/0692776079/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1480444132&sr=8-2

RenoZag
12-12-2016, 02:09 PM
Finished Glory Hounds on the ride to Philly this afternoon. I always liked Wither's reporting style and found the book an enjoyable read.

FWIW: His was the first explanation I had read of the issues that got Fitzgerald in trouble. I didn't come away from that chapter thinking Bud had an axe to grind.

Given the approach of the book is to cast a wide net over the rise and success of GU basketball (the chapters on the women's program are first rate, IMO ), it seems reasonable to this observer that Withers addressed the Fitzgerald suspension and NCAA sanctions with specificity. Others who have better "inside" info might take issue with it, I guess.

Found the section devoted to those we now call "Old Zags" very enlightening.

Overall, I think Bud does a pretty good job of covering things, warts & all.

sittingon50
12-14-2016, 03:51 PM
Bud's newest entry is up:

http://www.gloryhounds.net/whatsnew/view/285370/on-the-battle-in-seattle-whats-gonzaga