PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game - Utah Valley - 11.11.2016

RenoZag
11-11-2016, 06:56 PM
And they're off !! Another season underway and the Zags newcomers were fun to watch.

And it was heartwarming to see Karnowski back in action

Who's your player of tonight's game ?

BOX SCORE (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2016-2017/gonmbb01.html)

AP Game Story, GoZags.com links to video, stats (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/111116aaa.html)

23dpg
11-11-2016, 07:00 PM
Many good choices. Silas for me

seacatfan
11-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Could easily give it to Melson or Mathews, but I went with Karnowski. Dominated paint on both ends of the floor, so good to have the big guy back!

ZagNative
11-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Many good choices. Silas for meHe's the one, though Shem was definitely in the running!

Virginia Zags Fan
11-11-2016, 07:15 PM
Silas Melson with honorable mention for Shem. Silas is a stud on D. It was great seeing him live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GonzaGAW
11-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Silas melson

good thing perkins is sitting for just this game, melson had the type of game if he plays that well game in and game out, a guy could lose his starting line up position.

ProVeeZag
11-11-2016, 07:21 PM
I went with Williams-Goss due to the quick jump-start he got us on at beginning, also very solid floor game and leadership on the court. Love the way he can take his defender inside the paint and finish. Melson also extremely solid, especially in 2nd half.

Ekrub
11-11-2016, 07:21 PM
14-8-6 NWG... might have chance at a couple triple doubles this year

billyberu
11-11-2016, 07:24 PM
Silas without a doubt.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

cggonzaga
11-11-2016, 07:33 PM
I've always been a huge Melson supporter and he looked great tonight. Consistency has always been key with him though. Great start to the season.

GU69
11-11-2016, 07:35 PM
I've always been a huge Melson supporter . . ..

I haven't been. Wasn't that impressed last year. But I just voted for him and I am changing my opinion.

zagamatic
11-11-2016, 07:37 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I have never warmed up to Melson, but if he plays team ball like he did tonight, that may change. Gets my vote for tonight.

DixieZag
11-11-2016, 07:47 PM
14-8-6 NWG... might have chance at a couple triple doubles this year

Also, already - in his first game, demonstrated that he's the unquestioned leader of this team. Clearly has the total respect of his teammates.

Mantua
11-11-2016, 07:49 PM
I've always been a huge Melson supporter and he looked great tonight. Consistency has always been key with him though. Great start to the season.

Me too. Melson has always been in shape and has always made an effort to be a good team member on and off the court AND he's got a great smile.

MontanaCoyote
11-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Voted for Shem because he simply changes the game when he's in. Silas looked great and deserves the credit he's getting in this vote. A lot of attention has been given, justifiably, to our great "news," and then "along comes Silas." Great to see his hard work and persistence pay of for him and the ZAG'S.

And now.......Here comes Josh! Man, is this team loaded or what!?

ZagNative
11-11-2016, 08:00 PM
I do need to put in a good word for Tillie. He was terrific and is going to be so much fun to watch this year!

CdAZagFan
11-11-2016, 09:03 PM
I do need to put in a good word for Tillie. He was terrific and is going to be so much fun to watch this year!

Ditto this... becoming one of my favorite players - always around the ball, soaking up rebounds and great to see him hit a 3 (I think he just barely missed a 2nd one)...

CanadianZagsFan
11-11-2016, 09:15 PM
I haven't been. Wasn't that impressed last year. But I just voted for him and I am changing my opinion.

Same (but voted Karn).

But I'm holding. Let's see it vs SDSt and following week vs better opponents. Nice game by him tonight though especially in 2nd half driving and keeping defenders in front of him stacking them up.

Mantua
11-11-2016, 09:38 PM

We should have a poll for Most Fun-to-Watch!

Reborn
11-11-2016, 10:01 PM
tillie did have a great game. i also love his energy. PK was solid. whenever he was in the game the zags want on runs....and finally melson had his best game as a zag. i hope Melson keeps playing this way. .I'VE been a huge fan of his from the beginning. he played with a nw kind o confidence tonight. I LOVED THE PACE OF THIS GAME.

Go Zags !!!

maynard g krebs
11-11-2016, 10:10 PM
They didn't get to the rim with Karno in the game, and he even ran at a 3 pt shooter and made him miss. Karno for his defense.

MDABE80
11-11-2016, 11:42 PM
Nigel. Too many skills. He's a whole new way of looking at basketball for the Zags.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-12-2016, 01:50 AM
So many possibilities....I chose Matthews mainly just because the guy is so damn humble and willing to pass while fulfilling his role of long range shooter for this team. Brand new to the program but not tempted to jack up shots to establish himself or say "I'm the shooter." He's just calm and cool and plays within the team concept so well. Love him already.

Trying to decide who to choose GUnit is like a taste of how the coaches must feel trying to choose who to start and who to sub in and how many minutes to give each guy. Fun but difficult....hope nobody's feelings get hurt! :-)

krii
11-12-2016, 02:50 AM
I've watched only first half because by the time the second half started it was already 3AM here. Sooo my thoughts after first half :-):

1. Killie is great! This kid might be as good as Sabonis. He has everything - drive, skills, BBIQ. Fantastic player!
2. Sometimes the tempo was too high and they were a bit too messy with passes and actions. It was much more controlled with Karno on, maybe because he couldn't catch up every single play with such a speed. With him the defense and offense looked much better though, fluid and efficient.
3. Karnowski's defense. Wow. Someone once used here 'The Presence' nickname and I have to admit this is great. He is just there; doesn't have to scream in media about his defensive skills. Basically in first 5 minutes a couple of players tried to go to the paint and they felt like like in a car crash test. They were Fiat's and Karno was the wall.
4. Collins is sooo mobile! He'll be great in a couple of months. In my opinion he should stay in Gonzaga for two years. First to learn the game and play with Karnowski (playing against such a body will be a great school before NBA), second to show his own skill-set and prove his value. Still a bit raw but you can see he has 'it'.
5. Outside of that everything worked perfectly well. Of course Utah ain't no Warriors ;-) but they were competitive and that's what matters.

Zagger
11-12-2016, 03:18 AM
Wallnowski! And I'm loving me some Silas!

Utah Valley was pretty scrappy - though foe.
I like this Zags bunch. Rough around the edges and some lapses on D but they are a highly skilled and motivated group. Monday's game against San Diego State should be a good one.

Coach Crazy
11-12-2016, 04:23 AM
Silas. Not sold on him, but I think he may have had no turnovers. Great efficiency.

If Silas plays anywhere in this proximity the rest of the year, gonna be hard to keep this team out of the EE/FF contention.

Also, off-topic, but a team that is not flowing and not incredibly cohesive put up points in the 90's. Harnessed, they are going to roll. *IF* they can gel before WCC play, they absolutely will not lose a single conference game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonezagaga
11-12-2016, 06:58 AM
I voted for Melson, but just as easily could have gone with Sam Adams, the announcer not the beer, for making the tv broadcast palatable.

TacomaZAG
11-12-2016, 07:16 AM
I went with Melson as well. The game seems to have slowed down for him this year, he seemed so rushed at times last year. Now..............having said that, it was only Utah Valley, so let's wait and see what happens against better foes.

If Silas can keep this up, I like the 3-guard rotation of Josh, NWG, and Melson, keeping all three fresh for the entire year.

Also, did I lose my mind or did they really way that St. Mary's is ranked 17th???

Go ZAGS

MontanaCoyote
11-12-2016, 08:15 AM
I've watched only first half because by the time the second half started it was already 3AM here. Sooo my thoughts after first half :-):

1. Killie is great! This kid might be as good as Sabonis. He has everything - drive, skills, BBIQ. Fantastic player!
2. Sometimes the tempo was too high and they were a bit too messy with passes and actions. It was much more controlled with Karno on, maybe because he couldn't catch up every single play with such a speed. With him the defense and offense looked much better though, fluid and efficient.
3. Karnowski's defense. Wow. Someone once used here 'The Presence' nickname and I have to admit this is great. He is just there; doesn't have to scream in media about his defensive skills. Basically in first 5 minutes a couple of players tried to go to the paint and they felt like like in a car crash test. They were Fiat's and Karno was the wall.
4. Collins is sooo mobile! He'll be great in a couple of months. In my opinion he should stay in Gonzaga for two years. First to learn the game and play with Karnowski (playing against such a body will be a great school before NBA), second to show his own skill-set and prove his value. Still a bit raw but you can see he has 'it'.
5. Outside of that everything worked perfectly well. Of course Utah ain't no Warriors ;-) but they were competitive and that's what matters.

I'm not sure I can take "credit" for being the first to tag Shem with "The Presence" (with a capital T !) but I've used it a lot in my Karnowski posts for some time now. Must say I like it. Sums him up really well. As you put it so perfectly, " he's just THERE!"

Shem's got a lot of monikers, and as Will Rogers would say, "They're all good, ain't none of 'um bad, somes just better than others." I do think "The Presence" has a lot of class, both in the flesh and as a nick name. Hey, maybe it will
stick enough to get added to the list.

spike_jr
11-12-2016, 08:21 AM
I have been trying to find final stats that show +/-. It just seemed to me that the team played better, more controlled, last night when PK was in the game. So for me, he was the GUnit.

Marcus
11-12-2016, 08:25 AM
Voted for Silas. His shot selection was the best I've seen out of him, everything was in the flow of the offence. He made the right reads and plays so it was very encouraging. What an unexpected weapon he could be if he can consistently do this. He is just so athletic that when he puts it all together it looks effortless.

nish_mode
11-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Melsons ball handling looks much improved. Looked comfortable bringing the ball up and driving into the lane.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-12-2016, 11:40 AM
I voted for Melson, but just as easily could have gone with Sam Adams, the announcer not the beer, for making the tv broadcast palatable.

+1.

Melson has improved immensely.

Heister needs to go.

ProVeeZag
11-12-2016, 04:43 PM

My sentiments re: Sam Adams match yours exactly. I'm guessing Richard Fox enjoyed it too. Having 2 (instead of 3) broadcasters seemed an improvement also.

kitzbuel
11-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Melson with my vote for the inaugural 16/17 GUnit. I hope he is is in the running for many.

NotoriousZ
11-13-2016, 07:59 AM
So many possibilities....I chose Matthews mainly just because the guy is so damn humble and willing to pass while fulfilling his role of long range shooter for this team. Brand new to the program but not tempted to jack up shots to establish himself or say "I'm the shooter." He's just calm and cool and plays within the team concept so well. Love him already.

Trying to decide who to choose GUnit is like a taste of how the coaches must feel trying to choose who to start and who to sub in and how many minutes to give each guy. Fun but difficult....hope nobody's feelings get hurt! :-)
Voted Melson, but agree completely with the sentiment for Mathews. Assuming we see Norvell this year, we should run some four guard lineups.

Corky
11-13-2016, 08:21 AM
Silas for this game but man is Tillie impressive for a 97 pound weakling! [emoji78]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hooter73
11-13-2016, 10:49 AM
Karnos presence made this game.

Goshzagit
11-13-2016, 11:06 AM
..but man is Tillie impressive for a 97 pound weakling! [emoji78]

Tillie could be our "go to" player as early as next season. He will be all over the court and can score in a variety of ways. Him and Collins will be fun to watch grow this yr and next...

POG was Mathews for me. Silas composure, maturity, and control were impressive. His shot selection was mixed, but they fell -- which is what counts. Excited to see his commitment and hard-work pay off. Its all coming together at the right time. Making his presence and skills knowns -- he won't be passed over by others. Have a feeling Mathews transfer and Novell arrival really motivated him this off-season.

Mathews showed up GAME 1 and showed off his smarts, poise, and shooting ability, not to mention underrated defense. He showed up September 4th, a short 2 months of practicing, learning a completely new offense, and finding his role, also trust with new teammates. He can shoot on the catch, on the move, or in traffic. He made some eye popping passes to our Karno and Collins, which is/was overlooked. Already a leader on the floor. Nerves didn't affect him, nor did proving his ability.

Silas and Mathews both deserve kudos for showing up and taking full advantage of the opportunity. Set the tone for an entire year in Game 1 for these guys.

Considering Mathews been practicing for only a month, and Silas 3 yrs, I give the nod to Jordan.

I also predict each will win this honor more games this season.

MontanaCoyote
11-13-2016, 11:20 AM
Karnos presence made this game.

Karno, aka "The Presence."

krii
11-13-2016, 01:20 PM

I like it more every time I read it ;-) The best part of it is when nobody's expecting him (just like a Spanish Inquisition ;-) ) and he is just there. Guards will have nightmares with him in the paint.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-13-2016, 02:31 PM
He cannot be simulated, he can only be experienced. #ThePresence

former1dog
11-14-2016, 08:41 AM
It seems to me there were a lot of positives from the first game. I voted for Karnowski as the team played its best when he was on the court on both ends of the floor. I think he's the leader of our team this year and a good one at that.

ZagNative
11-14-2016, 09:28 AM
I already voted (for Silas) but this is fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAXFPNEiYG8

TexasZagFan
11-14-2016, 09:28 AM

How about "Sherwin Williams", i.e. he "covers the key".

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTVzCdvGoV-2cj-8_xC-1OrSvfUA1ZNhucQQIubCp50JBCwq5K

If there weren't any trademark issues, put Karno where the "SWP" is at, and convert the Earth to a basketball key. Make some T-shirts, much like Ammo's "You Can't Stop the Stache!"

In case anyone asks, I'm not giving up my day job (much as I'd like to).