PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Baseball: Zags Ink Six to NLIs

TerpZag
11-11-2016, 05:26 PM
BASE Inks Six to NLIs

Six newcomers, including five freshmen and a junior college transfer, will join the Bulldogs for 2018 season

Nov. 11, 2016

SPOKANE, Wash.--Gonzaga baseball head coach Mark Machtolf announced the signing of six players to National Letters of Intent Thursday as McKabe Cottrell, Mason Martin, Mason Millett, Carsen Negrete, Michael Spellacy, and Austin Pinorini have all committed to play for Gonzaga University starting in the 2018 baseball season.

McKabe Cottrell | LHP/OF | Rockford, Wash.

Cottrell is a three-time Cy Young Award winner for Freeman High School. In his last two seasons, he's been named Northeast A MVP and First Team All-State, and he earned team MVP designation as a junior. During the 2016 season, he posted a 0.48 ERA with six complete games, and he went 8-0 as a sophomore. Cottrell also played American Legion baseball with the Spokane Cannons.

Why Cottrell chose Gonzaga: "I chose Gonzaga because I want to be part of a winning baseball program with awesome coaches and receive a great education."

Coach Machtolf on Cottrell: "The Zags are getting a very solid left-handed pitcher, who grew up in our own backyard. McKabe has rewritten the record books at his high school, and we are excited to see how that translates to the college level. McKabe is also a very good football player who brings that mentality to the mound."

Mason Martin | INF/RHP | Kennewick, Wash.

Martin is a four-year player for Southridge High School in Kennewick. He's played first base, third base, and pitched for the Suns, hitting .474 with 22 RBIs and a 1.218 OPS in 2015. Also that year, he hit .484 with his summer ball team, the Southridge Bandits. He's helped the Bandits claim state and regional championships in his career, and Martin also played in the Area Code Games in August 2016, competing in the tournament's home run derby.

Why Martin chose Gonzaga: "I chose Gonzaga because it is a great opportunity to pursue both an education and a career in baseball. I also have great respect for the coaching staff."

Coach Machtolf on Martin: "Mason is the best power hitting prospect in the Northwest. He's left-handed hitter who will compete for time at first and right field and also might have a chance on the mound. Mason just finished up a great senior season playing quarterback for his high school football team."

Mason Millett | RHP | Anthem, Ariz.

Millett is a three-year pitcher for Boulder Creek High School. After missing part of his junior year to injury, he posted a 0.78 ERA upon returning for the end of the season and playoffs, striking out one batter per inning pitched. Last summer, he earned a spot on Team Arizona in the Junior Sunbelt Tournament and held a team from Georgia to one run in six innings with eight strikeouts. Millett also played for the Arizona Pilots, a summer ball team based out of Surprise, Arizona, tossing a complete game in the semifinals of the 2015 Firecracker Classic, which the Pilots proceeded to win. He's been honored twice by the Perfect Game, earning Underclass Honorable Mention in 2015 and Underclass High Honorable Mention in 2016. #

Why Millett chose Gonzaga: "Gonzaga has everything a student-athlete could ask for. Great academics, outstanding athletic program and facilities, and a student body that is passionate about their school. I really felt at home during my unofficial visit and knew Gonzaga was the best place for me to attend college. Go Zags!"

Coach Machtolf on Millett: "We are very excited to get Mason Millett in a Zag uniform. He has emerged as one of the top right-handers in the state of Arizona. Mason will help continue our long relationship with getting some great Zags from Arizona."

Carsen Negrete | INF | Lake Forest, Calif.

Negrete is a four-year shortstop at El Toro High School. He helped lead the Chargers to a South Coast League title, setting a record for longest win streak in the school's history and equaling the program's best win total. Negrete also reached the CIF quarterfinals, won the Loara Tournament and reached the championship game of the prestigious National Classic. Last summer, he played in the Perfect Game World Championship in Jupiter, Florida.

Why Negrete chose Gonzaga: "I don't really know if I found Gonzaga University or if it found me. But from the moment I stepped on campus, to playing a game on the baseball field and then meeting the coaching staff, I knew I had found the college for me."

Coach Machtolf on Negrete: "Carsen comes from one of the elite summer programs in Southern California. He's a true middle infielder who will come in and compete for a role early in his career. He will bring a toughness and style of play to our program that our best infielders have all possessed."

Austin Pinorini | C | Everett, Wash.

Pinorini comes to Gonzaga after two years at Bellevue College in Bellevue, Wash. During his first year with the Bulldogs, he earned First Team All-Division and Second Team All-League honors as catcher, hitting .315 and reaching base at a .438 clip. Prior to his time at Bellevue, he lettered all four years at Cascade High School, captaining the squad as a senior. That season, he hit .460 and earned First Team All-Area. He was First Team All-League his final two years of high school.

Why Pinorini chose Gonzaga: "I chose Gonzaga because of the coaching staff, campus atmosphere, and excellent education. After visiting the campus and baseball facilities, my decision to come to Gonzaga was an easy one to make."

Coach Machtolf on Pinorini: "Austin will bring leadership and two years of college baseball under his belt to our program. He's a left-handed hitting catcher who will compete immediately for time behind the plate. His personality and toughness fit exactly with the mold we are looking for in a student-athlete."

Michael Spellacy | INF | Puyallup, Wash.

Spellacy is a shortstop at Puyallup HS and drove in the Vikings' winning run at the Vikings' 2016 district championship game. During the 2015 season, he earned First Team All-State honors and All-League. Last summer, he competed at the Area Code Games, representing the Kansas City Royals. Also last summer, Spellacy hit .350 with Taylor Baseball, posting 68 hits in 68 games.

Why Spellacy chose Gonzaga: "Beginning with my first experience at Gonzaga, the coaching staff made me feel like I was at home. The family-like environment ensured me I was making the right choice with my commitment."

Coach Machtolf on Spellacy: "Michael is one of the top infield recruits in the state. He will have the ability to stay on the left side of the infield in college and compete for playing time early in his career. He comes from one of top high school programs in the state and also competed at a very high level on the summer baseball circuit."...

Gonzaga Article Link (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/111116aaa.html)