PDA

View Full Version : Early Signing Period - Kispert

Mr Vulture
11-09-2016, 12:02 PM
When is Kispert expected to sign his LOI to Gonzaga? The early signing period opened today but haven't heard anything leading up to this. I'm not worried he changes his mind, just wondering what the plan is...

Angelo Roncalli
11-09-2016, 03:35 PM
MBB Inks Kispert to NLI in Early Signing Period
Standout from Edmonds joins Gonzaga next season

SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga men’s basketball Head Coach Mark Few announced the signing of Corey Kispert to a National Letter of Intent Wednesday.

Corey Kispert, 6-6, 215, Forward, Edmonds, Wash. (King’s)
Kispert brings size and an outside threat to the Gonzaga roster. He will provide strength to the backcourt with an ability to hit outside shots and attack the rim. The 6-6, 215-pound forward helped King’s High School win the last two Washington State 1A titles. He is a four-star recruit that is ranked No. 72 nationally by Scout.com and 81st by Rivals.com. He averaged 23.9 points, 6.8 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 2.3 steals per game as a junior. Kispert excels in the classroom as well with a 3.96 grade-point average.

Few on Kispert:
“Corey will be a great addition to our program on many levels. He is a high character guy from a great family, who also comes from a program that is used to winning. He has great size at the wing spot and can really shoot the ball with deep range. He will fit in well with the young players currently in our program.”

Barrett Henderson
Gonzaga University
Sports Information Director

DixieZag
11-09-2016, 03:49 PM
Congratulations to Corey, and a big welcome.

Congratulations to the staff for landing another recruit of the type that will propel the program even higher.

good all around.

Zagdawg
11-09-2016, 04:01 PM
GU bound Corey Kispert working to better his game

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/nov/09/gu-bound-corey-kispert-working-to-better-his-game/

btzag
11-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Love seeing another true wing added to the program! This has been a tough position for the zags to recruit to for some reason and with Rui and Kispert in the fold the future is bright!

Coach Crazy
11-09-2016, 04:08 PM
This program once couldn't get a certain type of wing. Now you could see a point during any given game (next year) with Norvell, Kispert, and Rui on the court at the same time. Have fun with those mismatches, opposing coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogozags
11-09-2016, 04:10 PM
When Wade and Corey begin playing next summer and fall, competition for game P/T is going to be pretty crazy (Back Court: NWG, Perkins, Silas, Alberts, ZN and Wade / Front Court: Jones, Rui, Larsen, ZC, WIII, Edwards, Tillie and Corey).

We are going to be sooo deeep and sooo goood and so dangerous tooo!

maynard g krebs
11-09-2016, 04:13 PM
GU bound Corey Kispert working to better his game

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/nov/09/gu-bound-corey-kispert-working-to-better-his-game/

Great story. Thanks for the link. And when you see him play live, it's obvious how true every word is.

seacatfan
11-09-2016, 04:19 PM
King's HS is a 5-10 minute walk from my house. I've been meaning to check out some of their games so I could see Kispert play. Better do it this season, last chance.

Kiddwell
11-09-2016, 04:24 PM
:adored: Welcome! :adored:

:]

zag67
11-09-2016, 05:34 PM
I think if NWG has a super season, I would not be surprised to see him try for the NBA. He has had a complete season to work on strength, his 3s, and complete game. I wish him all the best and best into the future.

zag buddy
11-09-2016, 07:31 PM
I thought Krispert was the best player on the floor a number of times this summer. Can't wait.

seacatfan
11-10-2016, 07:13 AM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjmyp6byp7QAhUQ9WMKHfSADaIQqQIIGzAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seattletimes.com%2Fsports%2Fh igh-school%2Fkings-corey-kispert-signs-on-dotted-line-to-play-basketball-at-gonzaga%2F&usg=AFQjCNFXwIp7z7u_UaB1i7Ng6SM__0Tv1A&bvm=bv.138169073,d.cGc

Did anybody know he has a twin sister? She just signed to play volleyball at Seattle Pacific.

Zagdawg
11-10-2016, 07:48 AM
“The one thing (Williams-Goss) said walking from campus to the gym was, ‘I’ve been around a lot of programs and players and coaches and I’ve never been around so many guys focused on one common goal,’ ” Kispert said.

“Even though it’s just a signature on a piece of paper, it feels like I’m really a part of the family,” Kispert said

jazzdelmar
11-10-2016, 08:09 AM
“The one thing (Williams-Goss) said walking from campus to the gym was, ‘I’ve been around a lot of programs and players and coaches and I’ve never been around so many guys focused on one common goal,’ ” Kispert said.

“Even though it’s just a signature on a piece of paper, it feels like I’m really a part of the family,” Kispert said

Wow. Put that on the building somewhere.

Club Prez
11-29-2016, 06:06 AM
Kings first game is tomorrow at 7 at Renton High. I will probably head over and check out Corey's game.

http://www.cascadeathletics.com/index.php?league=2&page_name=team_schedule&pid=0.2.23.3.321&school=23&sport=3

Zagdawg
11-29-2016, 06:20 AM
Nice--- post an update for us from your viewing.

TexasZagFan
11-29-2016, 07:14 AM

We're all part of the same family, the Zag family. 19 days and counting to Nashville!

JPtheBeasta
11-29-2016, 10:28 AM
King's HS is a 5-10 minute walk from my house. I've been meaning to check out some of their games so I could see Kispert play. Better do it this season, last chance.

On a whim I watched Dranginis play in a high school tournament in the Valley somewhere and it was a cool experience. It made watching his college development quite different than any other players.

WallaWallaZag
11-30-2016, 10:13 PM
On a whim I watched Dranginis play in a high school tournament in the Valley somewhere and it was a cool experience. It made watching his college development quite different than any other players.

always thought k.d. had a chance to turn into a star...know i'm not the only one. just never really developed as hoped, but was still a solid role-player on some great teams, so nothing to be ashamed about.

have high hopes for kispert as well, but he's going to have some serious competition for playing time.

maynard g krebs
11-30-2016, 11:24 PM
always thought k.d. had a chance to turn into a star...know i'm not the only one. just never really developed as hoped, but was still a solid role-player on some great teams, so nothing to be ashamed about.

have high hopes for kispert as well, but he's going to have some serious competition for playing time.

Kispert is on a different level than Dranginis. Bigger, stronger, better shooter/scorer though there are some similarities in their games.

WallaWallaZag
12-01-2016, 12:00 AM
Kispert is on a different level than Dranginis. Bigger, stronger, better shooter/scorer though there are some similarities in their games.

oh, i agree...wasn't really comparing them...joe harris is probably a better comp...

Goshzagit
12-01-2016, 12:22 AM
oh, i agree...wasn't really comparing them...joe harris is probably a better comp...

Last year, or his jr yr, joe harris a perfect comp.

This yr, kispert grew 2", & much more post/wing oriented than shooting guard as Harris was...

Corey a legit 6'7", 6'8" now.

Can handle like a guard or finish in the paint thru contact. Has a nice face up game & excellent in transition.

Doug McDermott type is the new comparison.

Kispert will play 3 positions at GU.

Coach Crazy
12-01-2016, 04:03 AM
Last year, or his jr yr, joe harris a perfect comp.

This yr, kispert grew 2", & much more post/wing oriented than shooting guard as Harris was...

Corey a legit 6'7", 6'8" now.

Can handle like a guard or finish in the paint thru contact. Has a nice face up game & excellent in transition.

Kispert will play 3 positions at GU.

Based on what I saw in the Pro-Am vid, he doesn't look like a dribble-drive threat. Unless he has developed that since then.

Without that, he'll be a big wing, and be able
to play some four. He, Rui, and the two Zach/ck's will be a lack of fun for opposing teams, next season.

seacatfan
12-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Let's let him play a few college games before comparing him favorably to a multiple time all ACC first team player.

GoZags
12-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Let's let him play a few college games before comparing him favorably to a multiple time all ACC first team player.

Kispert has been compared favorably (including a "more upside" comment) to Joe Harris by his AAU coach (who also coached Harris).

Goshzagit
12-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Kispert has been compared favorably (including a "more upside" comment) to Joe Harris by his AAU coach (who also coached Harris).

Joe Harris was 6'5", combo SG, even PG on occasion, & so was Kispert last year.

He is 6'8" now.

No longer can compare imho. Kispert literally out grew this comparison. Not to mention, anothet 20 lbs.

He is a multi faceted, versatile, combo guard fwd hybrid, but tough to compare completely different body types at the same stage.

Mantua
12-01-2016, 10:05 AM
From what I've seen, I'm pretty sure he'll show up ready to play on day one and grow into leadership - true Zag material.

maynard g krebs
12-01-2016, 10:43 AM
King's beat Renton 80-52 last night in their opener. Renton's generally a strong team. No data available on Seattle Times site.

cggonzaga
12-01-2016, 11:35 AM

I like this comparison Gosh although Kispert may be a little smaller but probably a better athlete.

thespywhozaggedme
12-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Any stats from his game?

maynard g krebs
12-01-2016, 02:15 PM
Any stats from his game?

Seattle Times and Maxpreps will both list info given them by the school or fans. So far nothing on King's game in either. Nothing else on google. Club Prez posted the other day that he was going.

They play Kentwood (4A#6) at the Showare Ctr in Kent 7 pm on MLK day in January. I'll report on that game.

Virginia Zags Fan
12-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Saw him scrimmage with the guys this summer. He fit right in. Like any freshman, it will take him a bit to fully contribute, but contribute he will day 1.

thespywhozaggedme
12-01-2016, 03:04 PM
Kings first game is tomorrow at 7 at Renton High. I will probably head over and check out Corey's game.

http://www.cascadeathletics.com/index.php?league=2&page_name=team_schedule&pid=0.2.23.3.321&school=23&sport=3

Did you go? First hand report please

Coach Crazy
12-01-2016, 03:11 PM
I like this comparison Gosh although Kispert may be a little smaller but probably a better athlete.

Better athlete. Would be great if he could be the Dan Majerle type of player.

Goshzagit
12-01-2016, 03:51 PM
Any stats from his game?

31 pts & 9 rebs for Kispert's 1st game.

maynard g krebs
12-01-2016, 03:55 PM

Thanks. Source from media or your connections?

MontanaCoyote
12-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Sounds like one squared away, tough and talented kid. No Tree Lit boy, for sure! Zag's future, barring injuries, is bright. Just going to miss Karno.

thespywhozaggedme
12-01-2016, 07:28 PM

Nice! Thanks

btzag
12-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Joe Harris was 6'5", combo SG, even PG on occasion, & so was Kispert last year.

He is 6'8" now.

No longer can compare imho. Kispert literally out grew this comparison. Not to mention, anothet 20 lbs.

He is a multi faceted, versatile, combo guard fwd hybrid, but tough to compare completely different body types at the same stage.

Yeah no need to really categorize the kid at this point. Sounds like he is developing well and when in the system Few will play him where he fits. Don't forget this board was convinced beyond a doubt that Tillie was a 3/wing due to his extremely skinny frame and also most likely redshirting....oops.

demian
12-01-2016, 10:35 PM
Yeah no need to really categorize the kid at this point. Sounds like he is developing well and when in the system Few will play him where he fits. Don't forget this board was convinced beyond a doubt that Tillie was a 3/wing due to his extremely skinny frame and also most likely redshirting....oops.

didn't we get Morrison to commit going into his junior year or was it his senior year and he was only 6'4", then within like 6 months he grew to 6'9" prior to enrolling as a frosh at gu

Zagdawg
12-05-2016, 08:27 PM
Zags Guru
3 hrs
Retweeted 206HS/NWACScouting (@BillElleby):

206HS/NWACScouting
‏@BillElleby
HS Boys Kings 70 Renton 62 F Gonzaga Signee 2017 Star Corey Kispert 6'7 SG Kings scores 32pts.Corey going for 3rd straight 1A state title.

MDABE80
12-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Wish he'd have enrolled with Prep in GSL or some thing with stiffer competition. He's a wonder boy alright. He'll add a lot with GU.

Angelo Roncalli
12-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Wish he'd have enrolled with Prep in GSL or some thing with stiffer competition. He's a wonder boy alright. He'll add a lot with GU.

Abe, Kings is playing an extremely strong schedule this year, probably the toughest schedule that a school of its size (1A) in Washington has ever played. Their win tonight was over Renton, a member of the South Puget Sound League. Between Christmas and New Year, King will be playing 4 games in the 16 team VistitMesa.com tournament, whose participants include some of the best big schools from Arizona, Utah and California (Serra, alma mater of Barry Bonds, Tom Brady, Lynn Swann, is in the tournament). They will also play in a MLK day game against Kentwood, a 4A school from the North Puget Sound League. The MLK game will be played in the Showare Arena in Kent (seats about 6,000). Kings will play two league games against Archbishop Murphy, which is a 2A school in name only. He'll be playing against better competition than people assume.

Rangerzag
12-05-2016, 10:14 PM
Pontiff, can you keep us informed about timing of the Kentwood game on MLK day, please.

Angelo Roncalli
12-05-2016, 10:17 PM
Pontiff, can you keep us informed about timing of the Kentwood game on MLK day, please.

Sure. It's scheduled for 7:00 PM on Monday, 1/16 at Showare. Kings' season schedule is below:

http://www.cascadeathletics.com/index.php?pid=0.2.23.3.321

Rangerzag
12-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Sure. It's scheduled for 7:00 PM on Monday, 1/16 at Showare. Kings' season schedule is below:

http://www.cascadeathletics.com/index.php?pid=0.2.23.3.321

thx

WallaWallaZag
12-06-2016, 09:04 AM

what?!?! only 9 boards??? i thought you said he's 6'8 now...what a slacker!! j/k :roll:

for what it's worth, his school has him officially listed at 6'7 which usually means he's really 6'6

maynard g krebs
12-06-2016, 09:28 AM
what?!?! only 9 boards??? i thought you said he's 6'8 now...what a slacker!! j/k :roll:

for what it's worth, his school has him officially listed at 6'7 which usually means he's really 6'6

Yeah, 6'6 is about right when I saw him play in June.

maynard g krebs
12-06-2016, 09:40 AM

He was a teammate of Nate Robinson and Chris Hernandez among others in Jamal Crawford's pro am league last summer, playing against the likes of Isaiah Thomas, Rodney Stuckey, Spencer Hawes, Micah Downs, Gary Bell and a host of other adult pros. And I believe he led his team to the title game and scored 39.

I don't think his hs schedule is gonna hurt any.

Club Prez
12-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Sorry about the late response to the requests for a report on Corey's first game against Renton. I was down in LA watching the Zags and haven't had the chance to post until now.

First Corey appeared to me to be about 6'6" with a frame physically mature for a high school senior. Looked to play either a big guard or small forward at GU. Has 3 point range with nice mechanics and can also post up very effectively. Reminded me of Matt Bouldin in that regard.

In warm-ups his shot just seemed to be a little off. But he scored over 30 without taking a lot of shots, so what do I know?

He hustles, as I saw him dive at least once for a loose ball. He is a good teammate. He has some good players around him with size, so he doesn't have to carry the team on his back. In fact, when he went to the bench with 2 fouls in the second period, Kings only led by 1 or 2 points. In his absence, Kings extended the lead to double digits, where it stayed for most of the game.

All-in-all Corey appears to be a player that will contribute long-term, but not displace any of the current or projected starters next year.

Zagdawg
12-10-2016, 02:58 PM
Kisperts Kings team wins over Granite Falls 74-34
Kispert with 25

Zagdawg
12-11-2016, 06:25 AM
https://twitter.com/jswagddy17/status/807787675109294080

Zagger
12-11-2016, 06:45 AM

Wow! Great catch & quick, on balance shot - from about as deep in the corner as one can get. Looked all net too :)

cggonzaga
12-11-2016, 06:47 AM

Tremendous form. Looks like Frahm with number and all.

thespywhozaggedme
12-11-2016, 07:02 AM
Wow! Great catch & quick, on balance shot - from about as deep in the corner as one can get. Looked all net too :)

Great shot and form but that super slow Mo is awfully annoying

sittingon50
12-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Tremendous form. Looks like Frahm with number and all.

I like that comparison, cg. At least from that particular clip.

SLOZag
12-18-2016, 09:27 PM
"Gonzaga-commit Corey Kispert rattled off 30 points to help topple Lynden. Kispert was 8 for 12 from the field and had seven rebounds."

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/sports/high-school/prep-basketball/article121613557.html#storylink=cpy