PDA

View Full Version : Kayla Standish verbals to...

young julez
10-10-2007, 04:28 PM
GONZAGA!!!
as reported by Glenn Nelson of HoopGurlz.com in the following story
http://www.hoopgurlz.com/node/2594

BobZag
10-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Kayla is a great player and much-needed by Kelly Graves' team. 6'3". Along with Kristi Kingma, the best player in the state.

Now for Kingma and Alina or an Aussie who is visiting soon!

Angelo Roncalli
10-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Nice piece from the Ellensburg paper:

http://www.kvnews.com/articles/2007/10/11/sports/doc470e827fe176d895342097.txt

And while we're on the subject of WBB, the WCC coaches voting USD as favorite for the league title is simply ridiculous. It's a matter of what they want to happen, not what they think will happen.

GU loses POY Stephanie Hawk, a huge loss, no doubt. But the vacancy left by Hawk will be more than filled with Janelle Beckering (who turned down Stanford to come to GU), McDonald's All-American Tiffany Shives (eligible after transferring from Michigan State), Washington 4A POY Courtney Vandersloot, WCC tourney MVP Heather Bowman with a year of experience under her belt, defensive stalwart Jamie Bjorklund, a healed Rachel Kane, the return of 6'4" Elaina Renius (when she's done with volleyball), etc. Gonzaga's starting five will be the best team in the WCC. Gonzaga's next five will be the second best team in the WCC.

Kelly Graves is recruiting and signing national top 100 players; he's outrecruiting Pac-10 schools for players like Kayla Standish, Janelle Beckering, Heather Bowman and Courtney Vandersloot. The other WCC coaches are engaged in recruiting battles with Big West and Big Sky schools. It would not surprise me, barring injuries (the plague of WBB), if the Lady Zags go undefeated in WCC play.

And BTW, the challenge is not going to come from USD; Pepperdine will finish second in the WCC.

DavyZag
10-12-2007, 11:17 AM
And while we're on the subject of WBB, the WCC coaches voting USD as favorite for the league title is simply ridiculous. It's a matter of what they want to happen, not what they think will happen.

Um... a little paranoid, are we?

Angelo Roncalli
10-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Um... a little paranoid, are we?

Tell me how I'm wrong.

young julez
10-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Last year the Zags were picked to finish, what 3rd...Pepperdine and LMU finishing 1st, and 2nd (ended up the waves finished 5th and LMU 3rd)? They obvoiusly are not paying attention to Spokane. It is not a sign of paranoia, rather a sign of disrespect...from the coaches in the WCC!
San Diegos toughest OOC opponant will be UCLA and Gonzaga beat them last year. When GU gets to the conference schedule it will have played against some of the best teams, Arizona State-Tennessee-Purdue-Marquette. In no way is Coach Graves going to try to replace Hawk (that will be next year when Standish arrives) instead he will run his offense to suit the players he already has on the roster. Courtney will be the next WCC Newcomer of the Year plus Tiffany & Janelle will be more than ready to go. I of course have my personal favorite Vivian, who has improved and is ready to to let it be known :)

Angelo Roncalli
10-13-2007, 06:48 AM
After recruiting trips to Cal and Washington State, Standish was leaning heavily toward Pullman but her visit to
Gonzaga in Spokane last weekend changed everything.

"I thought it was great, everything about it," she said. "The coaches and players seemed like a family, and I didn't feel homesick at all. When I visited Cal (last month) it was nice and I liked the coach but it was too far away. I wanted to be a little closer."

Standish, who can sign an official letter of intent on Nov. 14, is a major catch for the Zags, who are three-time reigning champions of the West Coast Conference. WSU was thought to be the front-runner with first-year coach June Daugherty, the former Washington coach who watched several of Standish's state-tournament games.

"I did like Washington State and the coach a lot. For a while I thought that's probably where I'd go," Standish said. "But Gonzaga just felt right for me."

http://www.yakima-herald.com/page/dis/290522435006738

BobZag
10-14-2007, 08:58 AM
The women are 38-4 the last three years, Graves has more talent this year and beyond than ever before, and the WCC coaches are silly enough to think the Zags will finish 2nd behind San Diego, a team the Zags whupped twice last year.

Vandersloot and Shives enter this year.
Standish and possibly Kingma enter next year.

No other WCC team is pulling in talent like this.