PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga’s depth already being tested

Radbooks
11-03-2016, 06:29 PM
The Spokesman had lots of great articles earlier today and then this one tonight: (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/nov/03/gonzagas-depth-already-being-tested/)

Coach Mark Few declined to say if sophomore guard Josh Perkins will play in Saturday’s exhibition game against West Georgia. Perkins was charged last month with physical control of a vehicle while under the influence.

“We’ll handle it like we do everything,” Few said. “There’s going to be a part where he’s going to have to pay a price but I’m big on the learning part of it, remorse and repentance and moving forward.

“We’re working our way through that both with the school and within our program. I’m sure we’ll have something for you Saturday.”

More at the above link.

MDABE80
11-03-2016, 06:39 PM
Forget Josh for some time. We have others. We'll be fine.

raise the zag
11-03-2016, 06:48 PM
-- Larsen out for season

-- Norvell nagging knee issue since August. (may need to RS as a result, yet was dominating in Summer pick-up games prior to injury).

-- Karnowski out with the flu while trying to regain conditioning before the season (which he has caught every single season, sometimes flu is weeks on end)

-- Jermey Jones out until Christmas Break most likely (expected to be a rotational, energy, defense, & glue guy)

-- Perkins out for some games

With chemisty already an issue, as stated by numerous sources, these injuries or issues have become a significant concern. Especially due to the fact our seeding/reputation is decided in November and early December. Front-loaded schedule.

Not saying "doomed", but these are more-than-usual issues for our team. Guys like Perkins, Norvell, & Jones to a lesser extent were expected to play serious minutes.

Really bummed about Norvell's development. Tough kid, really our Summer work out All-Star before tearing his meniscus in August. As many who saw the pick-up games, Norvell was one of the primary playmakers on the floor -- outplayed Silas for weeks.

Thankfully, we still have talent in the cupboard, but need these guys to take us to the next level.

Jeremy Jones for 5 mins in a game is a difference maker, etc. Also need Perks gaining trust of new players and new role in offense.

Norvell to stay on track and healthy. Meniscus injuries are tough, often require 2nd follow-up surgery as cartilage is tricky...shaving can miss injured tissue or scar tissue develop afterward. Sometimes it doesn't heal fully or correctly. Unlike ligament surgery where its pretty cut and dry, although ligament is much more invasive and 10X the recovery. Point is, meniscus is a gamble on occasion.

Need Karnowski practicing and regaining the 3 C's: confidence, coordination, and conditioning.

Lastly, Larsen was really doing well. Was going to be in the mix. Stronger and better footwork than expected. Although, this was one injury we could absorb

This injury or depth issue sucks!

MDABE80
11-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Perkins, Norvell, & Jones to a lesser extent were expected to play serious minutes. Only Perk's loss will be felt. Still, we have tons of great players. I've not hear a lot about chemistry issues. Are there some? I've heard there is potentially chemistry issues due to the newcomers are, frankly, new to the system , have so much talent and they haven't worked together. Nothing defined though.
Norvell's knee is trouble some if it's not back to normal. I hate to think a Blake Stepp type of thing is looming. Look great in Summer.
Some issues are present but nothing serious as far as I know.

gonstu
11-03-2016, 07:03 PM
DOOMED!

raise the zag
11-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Perkins, Norvell, & Jones to a lesser extent were expected to play serious minutes. Only Perk's loss will be felt. Still, we have tons of great players. I've not hear a lot about chemistry issues. Are there some? I've heard there is potentially chemistry issues due to the newcomers are, frankly, new to the system , have so much talent and they haven't worked together. Nothing defined though.
Norvell's knee is trouble some if it's not back to normal. I hate to think a Blake Stepp type of thing is looming. Look great in Summer.
Some issues are present but nothing serious as far as I know.

Agreed, Perks will be felt. Our ONLY returning starter. Averaged over 30 mins per game last season.

I do think losing Larsen hurts long-term more than some realize, was out-performing Edwards in early practices. A back-up at Center.

Norvell hurts too. As Tommy said during his reception he looked like a serious contender in Summer prior to knee injury. Coach Few's frustration is palpable and clearly stated.

Usually meniscus injuries are back to full activity after 5-6 wks. Somewhat surprised they elected surgery so early, esp if first injury. Sometimes meniscus heal on their own, but with season only 2 months away, maybe felt it was time. Sometimes I've seen serious athletes take 3-4 months to regain full strength/mobility/motion after meniscus, but usually less time is required. He should be returning to form....but clearly is not. Now mentioned by two different coaches. Discouraging to say the least.

Our guard rotation for first few games are NWG, Silas, Mathews, Alberts...and that's IT!

We need Perkins and Norvell in a big way.

That's why losing guys like Jones hurts. Will never be a scoring threat but can come in, defend, fly around, hold his own at the 2, 3, even 4 (small lineup).

Our frontcourt rotation is fine with Tillie and Rui able to fill in if Karno is limited to 15-20 mins. Collins, Williams, Edwards, Tillie, & Karno could get by...

Need all hands/weapons on deck though or underrated SDSU will spank us in our house once again.

ZagnetitForce
11-03-2016, 07:53 PM
What the heck happened with Jones? I totally missed something here.

willandi
11-03-2016, 07:55 PM
What the heck happened with Jones? I totally missed something here.

high ankle sprain?

MDABE80
11-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Well maybe . In some ways, Nigel, Silas and Mathews will work well if the frontcourt delivers. Karno, Collins, Williams, Hachimoto, Tillie can do everything needed. I can't get too worried over those 8 kids. Lots of experience at the guards. The bigs will take some time to roundinto a unit but, as with the guards, there's a lot of talent waiting to gel. If we lose a few others, I'll be worried but for now, we beat everyone on the schedule. Norvell though, it's a big dal when his knee is showing trouble. As I said above, I cringe when I remember what Blake went through.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-04-2016, 01:49 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned the glaring hole in this roster for any games Perkins may miss. There is no backup PG! Who runs the point when NWG needs a rest or gets in foul trouble or god forbid if he were to get injured?

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-04-2016, 03:11 AM
So...we'll probably start the season with NWG, Melson, and Mathews as the likely starters and Alberts as the only healthy scholarship guard on the bench. I really hope Tillie can play the wing. We might need him to do it for a few weeks.

jazzdelmar
11-04-2016, 04:01 AM
Great opportunity for some kids.

Goshzagit
11-04-2016, 05:04 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned the glaring hole in this roster for any games Perkins may miss. There is no backup PG! Who runs the point when NWG needs a rest or gets in foul trouble or god forbid if he were to get injured?

Good point. Never thought of it this way.

You are right.

I think Silas could fill in for a min or two, yet if NWG gets hurt, foul trouble, or simply rest; we have an obvious issue at hand.

I'm sure the Coaches are thinking the exact same thing. We have depth, yet not at PG.

We don't have a Dranginis type this year either.

Alberts is the only one who played PG in HS, yet his handle isn't the greatest nor his confidence in it. Silas, Mathews, et al played off-guard in HS and College.

Coach Fischer will absolutely take advantage of this....and so will the pressure defense of SDSU.

Assuming Perkins is suspended for said game.

MickMick
11-04-2016, 06:37 AM
Great opportunity for some kids.

Yep

JPtheBeasta
11-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Usually meniscus injuries are back to full activity after 5-6 wks. Somewhat surprised they elected surgery so early, esp if first injury. Sometimes meniscus heal on their own, but with season only 2 months away, maybe felt it was time. Sometimes I've seen serious athletes take 3-4 months to regain full strength/mobility/motion after meniscus, but usually less time is required. He should be returning to form....but clearly is not. Now mentioned by two different coaches. Discouraging to say the least.

Would you say that it is not surprising that a meniscus injury in a high-level athlete could be very painful and also actually cause functional problems (e.g. Catching within the joint and decreasing fluid range of motion) such that surgery is a reasonable option?

raise the zag
11-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Would you say that it is not surprising that a meniscus injury in a high-level athlete could be very painful and also actually cause functional problems (e.g. Catching within the joint and decreasing fluid range of motion) such that surgery is a reasonable option?

Reasonable? Absolutely, hence me being 'somewhat' surprised. Impressionable swelling due to injury could also cause the symptoms you mention, so...tough call. Meniscus injuries are unique in each case, as you know. They are a gamble unless minor tear. Given tight turnaround of season, rapid healing, and his physical ability, it sounds like the benefit out-weighed the risk in his case. Not to mention his age and who knows what imaging showed.

Its been 8 wks. IF only arthroscopic shave due to outer tear, then he should be nearly 100% at this juncture. Full ROM, no weight bear issues, and strength should be returning. Heard Norvell is still limping around and limited movement. However, we don't know if it was a meniscectomy, or deeper tear (white zone) they were unable to visualize. Not uncommon for multiple meniscus surgeries as always tough call to due surgery in first place and what type...shave vs removal, etc.

I have seen some cases take up to 12 wks, but that's awhile for his injury...if not healed by Thanksgiving, a 2nd surgery will most likely be required. Remove loose cartilage, possible scar tissue, and/or reassess any other complication/issue.

MontanaCoyote
11-04-2016, 08:58 AM
If staff didn't recommend a flu shot for Karno they should have. If they did and he didn't get one (unless he has a personal reason for not getting one) he should have. If he got one, well that's the breaks.

At least better now than tourney time.

TexasZagFan
11-04-2016, 09:10 AM
If staff didn't recommend a flu shot for Karno they should have. If they did and he didn't get one (unless he has a personal reason for not getting one) he should have. If he got one, well that's the breaks.

Seems like we have flu bug issues every year.

kitzbuel
11-04-2016, 09:24 AM
Good point. Never thought of it this way.

You are right.

I think Silas could fill in for a min or two, yet if NWG gets hurt, foul trouble, or simply rest; we have an obvious issue at hand.

I'm sure the Coaches are thinking the exact same thing. We have depth, yet not at PG.

We don't have a Dranginis type this year either.

Alberts is the only one who played PG in HS, yet his handle isn't the greatest nor his confidence in it. Silas, Mathews, et al played off-guard in HS and College.

Coach Fischer will absolutely take advantage of this....and so will the pressure defense of SDSU.

Assuming Perkins is suspended for said game.

I think Triano played Point in HS.

Mr Vulture
11-04-2016, 12:47 PM
I don't think Jones/Norvell are all that big of a deal, other than from a depth perspective. I never thought Norvell would get more than 15mpg in the first place, if that. We all pretty much expected Perkins to get some sort of suspension so his loss, while leaving us thin at the PG position for early season, isn't new. Jones is a hustle type guy that almost assuredly would have had fluctuations in playing time anyway but probably would average less than 10mpg over the year. Worst case, we should still be full strength by conference and if Norvell has to RS, that gives us a heck of guy to pair with Wade as freshmen next year with Perk/NWG/Melson all being upperclassmen next season too.

ZagOD7540
11-04-2016, 01:19 PM
I take it you didn't see any of the scrimmages this summer? Norvell is an absolute stud! The kid played like a veteran player amongst the current and past Zags. He's a big, thick bodied kid that would make a huge difference this year. I think he could be WCC freshman of the year.

I agree with you on Jones-kind of a role player who gets a few minutes here and there.

Corky
11-04-2016, 01:46 PM

I work with a guy who can't get flu shots due to his egg allergy. Maybe it is something like that.

MontanaCoyote
11-04-2016, 04:59 PM
I work with a guy who can't get flu shots due to his egg allergy. Maybe it is something like that.

Could be. Water under the old bridge now. Just hope Shem shakes it off soon. Hoping this season turns out to be the best year of his life, at least for a while. Get well soon, big fella!

Murphy outgo lifer
11-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Does anyone know how JWIII is recovering from his knee injury? He just didn't seem like the same player at Kraziness this year compared to last. He was going toe-to-toe with Sabonis last year and looked very athletic and explosive. I am hoping that he was just taking his recovery slowly and hasn't lost his explosiveness and tenacity.