PDA

View Full Version : Competitor Updates

Zagdawg
11-03-2016, 07:27 AM
Who is going to be able to slow this guy down?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17943952/washington-freshman-markelle-fultz-wants-best-basketball-player-all

DukeSilver
11-03-2016, 07:38 AM
UW has a strong roster this year, no doubt. But the Zags beat them big-time in depth and coaching ... A combination of those two things should be able slow Fultz down enough for a W.

Goshzagit
11-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Who is going to be able to slow this guy down?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17943952/washington-freshman-markelle-fultz-wants-best-basketball-player-all

but I betcha our guards out-play their guards.

Zagdawg
11-03-2016, 08:40 PM
Percy Allen
‏@percyallen
Washington survives a scare and wins 109-103 over Division II Western Washington.

Fultz with 4-10 shooting 14 pts, 7 boards and 5 assists in 23 mins

"BELLINGHAM, Wash. – The Western Washington University men’s basketball team has been picked to finish 2nd in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference 2016-17 Preseason Coaches Poll."

Fishin'AZTEC
11-04-2016, 06:09 AM
SDSU beat UCSD 75-60 in a Thursday night exhibition game. A few AZTECS sat with various sprains, strains etc.

Zagdawg
11-04-2016, 07:43 AM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/11/04/markelle-fultz-with-14-points-off-the-bench-in-washington-debut/

seacatfan
11-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Arizona looking bad, trailing D2 Chico St. by 3 at the half. Defense is bad, halfcourt offense against zone D is bad, perimeter shooting is bad. If Zags can't beat Arizona this year, something is wrong.

seacatfan
11-06-2016, 04:06 PM
Arizona escapes a headline making disaster. Won by 8, but was closer than that. Not impressive. Markannen had 21, but overall the team seems to be lacking shot makers. Maybe Chico St. is a really good D2 program. There were a few stretches where Arizona asserted themselves, but overall there wasn't a noticeable difference in size/athleticism/physicality like you would expect.

MDABE80
11-06-2016, 04:38 PM
Out schedule is interesting to be sure but there's nobody we can'tbeat. When we work out the 'who does what" part, we'll be ready to beat anyone.
That much talent is here now and more next year. It's a top ten team we have. When the scribes see these guys you saw last night putting up V's, the guard question will be resolved as will the frontcourt questions. With or without Shem playing full time, we have scoring and rebounding machines with Tillie, Collins and Williams.

Zagdawg
11-10-2016, 09:41 AM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 52m52 minutes ago
Jeff Goodman Retweeted Deandre Ayton
No. 1 player in the country, DeAndre Ayton, signs with Arizona.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/187828/deandre-ayton

sittingon50
11-10-2016, 10:00 AM
Sean Miller really doing a great job.

CDC84
11-10-2016, 10:23 AM
If a big time prospect emerges from the Phoenix area, you can pretty much bet he's going to Zona.

Zagdawg
11-10-2016, 12:26 PM
#1 2017 Recruiting class

http://247sports.com/Article/Cats-ink-all-four-48878169

Zagdawg
11-10-2016, 02:17 PM
"Arizona coach Sean Miller said Chance Comanche will play against Michigan State after being suspended for the two exhibition games due to academics. The Wildcats are donating a flag to the Pearl Harbor memorial today when they visit the USS Arizona site."

Zagdawg
11-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Florida’s 6-foot-11 freshman wins appeal, eligible immediately

"Florida received some good news on Thursday evening, as freshman big man Gorjok Gak won his appeal and is eligible to play this season for the Gators."

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/11/10/florida-gators-gorjok-gak-eligible-2016-17-season/

Fishin'AZTEC
11-10-2016, 04:48 PM
AZTECS pretty banged up right now. Don't expect to see the Zags having much trouble on Monday night. Steve Fisher may be more interested in healthy players vs. Cal!

Zagdawg
11-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Great expectations for No. 17 St. Mary’s

http://www.sfchronicle.com/collegesports/article/No-17-St-Mary-s-10607266.php?t=a7fc3a5c4e&cmpid=twitter-premium

Zagdawg
11-10-2016, 05:13 PM
SDSU missing several pieces for exhibition

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-azhoops-20161102-story.html

Goshzagit
11-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Dont buy it.

According to their board, SDSU was just precautionary due to a plethora of minor/nagging injuries.

Malik Pope & Inundo (former WSU player) are expected back by Monday.

They were seen dunking and yucking it up with teammates before & after the game.

Only player expected out is reserve guard, Shirgley.

All others mentioned were cleared by Doctors yesterday.

ESPN ranked SDSU 1 spot ahead of the Zags in their latest power rankings.

This is supposed to be the best offensive squad Coach Fischer has had since 2011. They were/are already considered the best defensive team in the West.

Expect a very hungry, focused, & aggressive Aztec team Monday.

They won 30 games last season, yet didn't make the Tourney. They need this game more than any other...

They also return 5 of their top 6 scorers from last season.

Tough match up.

realtydog
11-10-2016, 08:26 PM
They won 30 games last season, yet didn't make the Tourney.

ahhhhhhhh..... I watched them in the tourney last year in Spokane

Reborn
11-11-2016, 01:36 AM
Out schedule is interesting to be sure but there's nobody we can'tbeat. When we work out the 'who does what" part, we'll be ready to beat anyone.
That much talent is here now and more next year. It's a top ten team we have. When the scribes see these guys you saw last night putting up V's, the guard question will be resolved as will the frontcourt questions. With or without Shem playing full time, we have scoring and rebounding machines with Tillie, Collins and Williams.

I think all 3 of our post players scored in double figures. Love that.

Fishin'AZTEC
11-11-2016, 05:31 AM
Believe what you want re: SDSU

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-azhoopsusd-20161110-story.html

GoZags
11-11-2016, 05:37 AM
ahhhhhhhh..... I watched them in the tourney last year in Spokane

You may have watched SDSU in the NIT tourney on your television while you were in Spokane .... but they did not make the dance. Then again, they didn't win 30 last year either. Their 28 wins included 3 in the NIT before losing in the semi finals at MSG in New York.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/21/year/2016

That being said .... I agree with the premise of Gosh's post .... I expect Monday's game to be incredibly competitive. It should be a great college basketball game. Can't wait.

Zagdawg
11-11-2016, 05:53 AM
Thanks for sharing the update FishinAztec. It will be an interesting one with San Diego -- SDSU looking for revenge from last year.

Fishin'AZTEC
11-11-2016, 06:11 AM
Thanks for sharing the update FishinAztec. It will be an interesting one with San Diego -- SDSU looking for revenge from last year.

Unfortunately for AZTEC and USD fans there is no TV coverage! Those fans that can't get one of the 12,414 seats in Viejas Arena will have to turn on their radios! :p

willandi
11-11-2016, 06:48 AM
Unfortunately for AZTEC and USD fans there is no TV coverage! Those fans that can't get one of the 12,414 seats in Viejas Arena will have to turn on their radios! :p

It says here that it is in Spokane and on ESPN2. Barring that the WCC has an internet that shows the games. I THINK it is The.W but not sure.

West Coast Conference presents: TheW.tv

RenoZag
11-11-2016, 06:51 AM
The ESPN WCC Schedule page shows the USD-SDSU game as televised on ESPNU, 8:00pm PST

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/schedule/_/group/29

SMC might have their hands full with Nevada @ McKeon

UOP heads to Pauley; NAU @ SCU; USF hosts UIC; Cal Poly @ Pepperdine.

Fishin'AZTEC
11-11-2016, 12:45 PM
It says here that it is in Spokane and on ESPN2. Barring that the WCC has an internet that shows the games. I THINK it is The.W but not sure.

West Coast Conference presents: TheW.tv

My bad, I read right past the ESPNU. I guess Zag fans can watch along tonight if they care to or DVR it.

DixieZag
11-11-2016, 12:56 PM
Are we better off having SDSU win, increasing their stock coming into us, or USD win, increasing our 2 games versus them, and WCC stock?

Sorry Aztec, this is just business, you understand.

seacatfan
11-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Are we better off having SDSU win, increasing their stock coming into us, or USD win, increasing our 2 games versus them, and WCC stock?

Sorry Aztec, this is just business, you understand.

I'd say Zags want SDSU to be as good of an OOC opponent as possible, trumps playing USD twice in conference. USD is very likely gonna be a 100++ RPI opponent regardless. SDSU losing to USD could be a killer for the Aztecs RPI right out of the gate.

seacatfan
11-11-2016, 03:22 PM
I hope Gonzaga looks good tonight, because I already had to quit watching Arizona less than 5 minutes into the game. Pathetic. Can't shoot, can't rebound, can't defend, but they can turn the ball over. Michigan St. has NO size at all, UA has two 7 footers, yet they can do absolutely nothing inside or secure a defensive board. Yikes.

jazzdelmar
11-11-2016, 03:47 PM
I hope Gonzaga looks good tonight, because I already had to quit watching Arizona less than 5 minutes into the game. Pathetic. Can't shoot, can't rebound, can't defend, but they can turn the ball over. Michigan St. has NO size at all, UA has two 7 footers, yet they can do absolutely nothing inside or secure a defensive board. Yikes.

Look better now.or is that because Spartans starting reading their Bilas press clippings too soon. Two overcoached teams with pro talent. Bilas superlatives are flying tonight.

CDC84
11-11-2016, 04:02 PM
You're going to be hearing a lot of press clippings in the coming days....especially at the champions classic in NYC next week. This recruiting class is just incredible. It's not just the talent....it's that many of these kids already have NBA bodies.

seacatfan
11-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Look better now.or is that because Spartans starting reading their Bilas press clippings too soon. Two overcoached teams with pro talent. Bilas superlatives are flying tonight.

The Cats are messing with me. While I was watching 'Nova wiping the floor with Lafayette, UA erased a double digit deficit and took the lead. I caught the tail end of the 1st half and they went back to playing crappy again. I guess I'm jinxing them.

jazzdelmar
11-11-2016, 04:20 PM
The Cats are messing with me. While I was watching 'Nova wiping the floor with Lafayette, UA erased a double digit deficit and took the lead. I caught the tail end of the 1st half and they went back to playing crappy again. I guess I'm jinxing them.

Molly McGrath is having a super game, tyvm.

seacatfan
11-11-2016, 07:16 PM
Wasn't pretty at times, but I'll take the win for the Cats. I'm hoping both teams improve quite a bit during the season and it holds up as a really good win for UA.

seacatfan
11-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Shaky start for SDSU. Defense is leaking like a sieve, USD driving at will.

23dpg
11-11-2016, 07:34 PM
SD up 21-14 under the 8' break. Stop me if you've heard this before, SDSt having a difficult time scoring.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-13-2016, 09:03 AM
Did anybody else notice that Jock Landale scored 33 points and grabbed 9 boards in SMC's win over Nevada. Isn't he the sixth man?

sittingon50
11-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Pineau (sp?) having back issues apparently so Landale gets the start. Much improved.

RenoZag
11-13-2016, 02:20 PM
Did anybody else notice that Jock Landale scored 33 points and grabbed 9 boards in SMC's win over Nevada. Isn't he the sixth man?

It was mentioned in another thread. Very impressive output for his first start.

ZagsObserver
11-13-2016, 03:36 PM
UW performing real well against Yale...

UW 13
Yale 30

Zagdawg
11-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Isn't Yale like an Ivy league powerhouse?

ZagsObserver
11-13-2016, 03:55 PM
Gonzaga better not lose to these un-coached street ballers.

DixieZag
11-13-2016, 03:56 PM
Yale 49(!)
UW: 35 at half.

How do the Huskies give up 49 pts in a half to Yale at home?

Yes, Yale is respectable, 12 seed beat Baylor (5) last year in tourney, and look extremely well-coached. But, 49?

maynard g krebs
11-13-2016, 04:18 PM
And Yale is doing it w/o Makai Mason, their star pg last yr who just got injured (out for season?).

Yale moves the ball and UW is playing no D so far.
Look for UW to start hackin and slappin and getting away w/ it at home, and come back to win or at least take it to the wire.

Bogozags
11-13-2016, 04:31 PM

Yes, I saw that...if memory serves he isn't a 3pt artist so that is a lot of points in the paint...wonder how he will do against PK

Also both guards had 8 assists each! To me that is impressive...I just hope we can defend their pick&troll offence like we did in the tournament!

Zagdawg
11-13-2016, 04:56 PM
Would like UW to win and come into the MAC with a good record --- can use another decent win on our resume.

23dpg
11-13-2016, 05:06 PM
Would like UW to win and come into the MAC with a good record --- can use another decent win on our resume.

Not going to happen. Yale up eleven with about a minute left.
Just wait till next year when Romar brings in a top five class. Then he'll really underperform.
Serious question. Why was UW favored by 14.5?

CDC84
11-13-2016, 05:33 PM
Will Fultz become this year's version of Ben Simmons?

From what I can tell, Fultz doesn't have the attitude problems that Simmons has. But UW, regardless of how well they do, is going to get a ton of attention due to Fultz. Maybe not as much due to Simmons being closer to east coast media.

23dpg
11-13-2016, 05:35 PM
Will Fultz become this year's version of Ben Simmons?

From what I can tell, Fultz doesn't have the attitude problems that Simmons has. But UW, regardless of how well they do, is going to get a ton of attention due to Fultz. Maybe not as much due to Simmons being closer to east coast media.

I know Fultz is a projected #1 pick on a few boards but I'll wager he doesn't end up that way.

Pargo the Destroyer
11-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Great weekend for the Huskys all around. Love it.

seacatfan
11-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Man, UW. Only 1 game, but if today was a harbinger of what's to come this season...Wow, just wow. I mean they really CANNOT fire Romar because of the class he has coming in next year, but at some point great recruiting can't keep bailing him out if he doesn't produce.

maynard g krebs
11-13-2016, 08:50 PM
21 offensive rebounds for Yale. 4 or 5 for UW.

Hoopaholic
11-14-2016, 06:31 AM
Man, UW. Only 1 game, but if today was a harbinger of what's to come this season...Wow, just wow. I mean they really CANNOT fire Romar because of the class he has coming in next year, but at some point great recruiting can't keep bailing him out if he doesn't produce.

"they really CANNOT fire Romar because of the class he has coming in next year, but at some point great recruiting can't keep bailing him out if he doesn't produce"

thats been the standard line for the last 10 years

Bogozags
11-14-2016, 07:33 AM
"they really CANNOT fire Romar because of the class he has coming in next year, but at some point great recruiting can't keep bailing him out if he doesn't produce"

Silly question...does UW sellout its home games? If so, then I believe Romar carries on as he has been. If the football team wins the next three games, then UW will bring in at least $10M for the school...so if the seats are filled for basketball, then I believe he won't get fired...JMO

sittingon50
11-14-2016, 09:48 AM
Silly question...does UW sellout its home games? If so, then I believe Romar carries on as he has been. If the football team wins the next three games, then UW will bring in at least $10M for the school...so if the seats are filled for basketball, then I believe he won't get fired...JMO

Per the Box Score, they were 78%+ of capacity last night.

Mantua
11-14-2016, 10:14 AM
I watched the Yale game and was surprised Western didn't beat UW too. Yale was a little rigid on offense, was undersized and not athletic, wasn't great on defense, but executed basics very well. Not everyone on Yales team could shoot free throws well. In the second half the Huskies used their length much more effectively on defense but Yale stayed poised and managed to hang on. The Zags' speed will help to compensate for UW's length on D.

DixieZag
11-14-2016, 10:19 AM
I watched the Yale game and was surprised Western didn't beat UW too. Yale was a little rigid on offense, was undersized and not athletic, wasn't great on defense, but executed basics very well. Not everyone on Yales team could shoot free throws well. In the second half the Huskies used their length much more effectively on defense but Yale stayed poised and managed to hang on. The Zags' speed will help to compensate for UW's length on D.

Yale looked extremely well-coached, never a wasted motion. The UW ....didn't.

seacatfan
11-14-2016, 11:08 AM

Maybe so, but never more true than now. If he was fired it's doubtful any of the assistant coaches would stay, so Porter Sr. and his two sons would go elsewhere. You don't throw away a top 5 recruit.

Mantua
11-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Yale looked extremely well-coached, never a wasted motion. The UW ....didn't.

Yale was well-coached, but a little slow.

I was impressed by James Jones' suit. it looked like it was tailored in London and fit perfectly.

seacatfan
11-14-2016, 11:11 AM

It's varied quite a bit. When Romar first turned things around in the mid 2000's sellouts became common. During some of the down years since then attendance dwindled, some games were probably only around 50% of capacity. Probably the hype surrounding Fultz has drawn some interest. Agree about football though. UW has always been football first, now that they are finally good again order has been restored and how the bball team does isn't that important.

Bogozags
11-14-2016, 04:26 PM
It's varied quite a bit. When Romar first turned things around in the mid 2000's sellouts became common. During some of the down years since then attendance dwindled, some games were probably only around 50% of capacity. Probably the hype surrounding Fultz has drawn some interest. Agree about football though. UW has always been football first, now that they are finally good again order has been restored and how the bball team does isn't that important.

Re-Football, I really believed that their new coach, Chris Petersen from BSU was going to turn the program around and he did in 3 years...when UW's attendance dwindles down to 3-4 thousand then the school will have to take notice...

Yes, as long as UW remains somewhat respectable as a BBall program, he can keep his job, that is also if football is in the top ten of the Big-5 conference schools...JMO

willandi
11-14-2016, 05:11 PM
Re-Football, I really believed that their new coach, Chris Petersen from BSU was going to turn the program around and he did in 3 years...when UW's attendance dwindles down to 3-4 thousand then the school will have to take notice...

Yes, as long as UW remains somewhat respectable as a BBall program, he can keep his job, that is also if football is in the top ten of the Big-5 conference schools...JMO

And they decided to swallow their pride and schedule a nationally ranked, in-state opponent

Hoopaholic
11-14-2016, 06:35 PM
Opening night had less than half seats filled

Hoopaholic
11-14-2016, 06:41 PM
Last sell out 2012
Biggest crowd last year was 7000 versus WSU
4 straight years in attendance decline

Not something to write home to mom about

Zagdawg
11-18-2016, 08:19 AM
St Marys Saturday game update

Jeff Goodman
ESPN Insider
When Dayton scheduled Saint Mary's game for tomorrow, Archie Miller figured he would have Kendall Pollard, Josh Cunningham and Steve McElvene. He won't have any of them. Pollard out with thigh injury, Cunningham out with ankle/knee injury and McElvene tragically passed away this past summer. The hope is that Pollard returns for Wooden Legacy tourney next week. Cunningham still being evaluated for extent of injury from ugly fall earlier in the week.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-18-2016, 08:39 AM
A lot of GU fans are critical of Romar, but my UW alumni cousin and his family love him. They are at least third generation Huskies. Their blood is pupleish red.

When my cousin had a kiddo, LR autographed a basketball and sent it to this future little Husky. Parents, grandparents, great grandparent thrilled! That is really cool no matter what you think of his coaching. Bottom line, the connected alumni love him. As long as they do, he will always have a job at UW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zagdawg
11-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Need to keep romar around as long as possible-- it is nice to be able to get an automatic W each year. As long as he keeps hiring "fathers/coaches" of recruits and smoozing the alumni the dub won't cough up the money for the buyout. If he were to be shown the door-- We don't want a good game coach on that side of the state challenging the Zags for the best in Washington title.

Sign him up for another 10 year extension- and let's re-ink our game contract with the dawgs for the same timeframe.

;)

Go Zags!

Virginia Zags Fan
11-18-2016, 09:46 AM
Need to keep romar around as long as possible-- it is nice to be able to get an automatic W each year. As long as he keeps hiring "fathers/coaches" of recruits and smoozing the alumni the dub won't cough up the money for the buyout. If he were to be shown the door-- We don't want a good game coach on that side of the state challenging the Zags for the best in Washington title.

Sign him up for another 10 year extension- and let's re-ink our game contract with the dawgs for the same timeframe.

;)

Go Zags!

This!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LongIslandZagFan
11-18-2016, 11:04 AM
Looking at that Yale game and the Cal State Fullerton game, it is fairly obvious that defense is something that the Huskies just plain don't do. 2 D1 games and they gave up an average of 92 points... no overtimes. Also gave up 103 to Western Washington???? Zags play solid D, not even great D, against UW and the Huskies won't know what hit them.

seacatfan
11-18-2016, 02:27 PM
Looking at that Yale game and the Cal State Fullerton game, it is fairly obvious that defense is something that the Huskies just plain don't do. 2 D1 games and they gave up an average of 92 points... no overtimes. Also gave up 103 to Western Washington???? Zags play solid D, not even great D, against UW and the Huskies won't know what hit them.

Seems to be a recurring problem in recent years. I wonder when this trend started. Romar's more successful teams at UW took pride in playing D and were gritty, scrappy teams.

seacatfan
11-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Nothing official yet (there has not been anything official all season explaining the absence) but the website pointguardu is reporting Allonzo Trier will be cleared to play for Arizona in the next day or two. That site is often the first to break news of commits to Arizona, so they seem to have good sources. It's echoing around in the twitterverse now.

DukeSilver
11-19-2016, 02:36 PM
SMC barely squeaked by on the road against a seriously under-manned Dayton squad ... I think this will be the first of many indications to come that the enthusiasm for the Gaels this year was more than a bit overstated.

rugbygael
11-19-2016, 03:28 PM
I have really enjoyed the evolution and reality of the St. Mary's program over the years, vs the perception of the top Power teams in the Country, including Gonzaga, maybe my 2nd favorite program. To try & marginalize what St. Mary's accomplished today on the road vs. a very good Dayton squad is like living in a vacuum. I get & agree St. Mary's scheduling is a joke, and largely a peril to their program, but to dismiss their rise in prominence is ignorance. I like how the WCC top three have tightened up this season and agree it will be a great battle to win the Conference, but the eye test suggests the defending co WCC champs will prevail.

jazzdelmar
11-19-2016, 03:45 PM
I have really enjoyed the evolution and reality of the St. Mary's program over the years, vs the perception of the top Power teams in the Country, including Gonzaga, maybe my 2nd favorite program. To try & marginalize what St. Mary's accomplished today on the road vs. a very good Dayton squad is like living in a vacuum. I get & agree St. Mary's scheduling is a joke, and largely a peril to their program, but to dismiss their rise in prominence is ignorance. I like how the WCC top three have tightened up this season and agree it will be a great battle to win the Conference, but the eye test suggests the defending co WCC champs will prevail.

A vacuum, indeed. That Dayton team was sans its 2 best players and your squad almost appled it away.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-19-2016, 03:55 PM
A vacuum, indeed. That Dayton team was sans its 2 best players and your squad almost appled it away.

The Gaels will learn from that experience. They will do a better job of protecting future leads.

They will be a very tough opponent for our team. I do believe that their Top 25 ranking is appropriate.

bartruff1
11-19-2016, 04:51 PM
WCC looks like a one bid again this year....unless Gonzaga loses in Vegas..

I see all the BYU games, they are worse than last year's NIT team...

I have only seen the Gaels once and they didn't look like a top 30 team to me....they were very efficient in the first half but really stunk it up in the 2nd...something like 10 turnovers.... and were out scored something like 14-4 in crunch time ... didn't look like anyone wanted the ball for the last 5 minutes or so..

I don't see these teams beating Gonzaga even at home.....just my opinion of course and I am no expert..

maynard g krebs
11-19-2016, 07:19 PM
Congrats to St Mary's on a great win, on the road v kenpom's current #38 team.

St Mary's is so much like the Zags' teams of years past. I don't get the disrespect here. Injuries or not, that's a quality win.

FWIW, KP currently has SMC at 13.

sittingon50
11-19-2016, 07:22 PM

St Mary's is so much like the Zags' teams of years past. I don't get the disrespect here. Injuries or not, that's a quality win.

+1.

MDABE80
11-19-2016, 08:45 PM
Give em time Bart. It's a 2-3 bid league.

hondo
11-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Maybe the main hatchway didn't cave in.
https://youtu.be/F_oWCgV2MJo

But that is still my all time favorite Lightfoot song and he has written a ton of wonderful songs.

Seattle Hoo
11-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Maybe so, but never more true than now. If he was fired it's doubtful any of the assistant coaches would stay, so Porter Sr. and his two sons would go elsewhere. You don't throw away a top 5 recruit.

And Virginia has a scholarship open now.

MDABE80
11-19-2016, 09:53 PM
Maybe the main hatchway didn't cave in.
https://youtu.be/F_oWCgV2MJo

But that is still my all time favorite Lightfoot song and he has written a ton of wonderful songs. in THE icu THIS WAS THE CLASSIC AS A LOT OF SHIPS SUNK. sardonic HUMOR I GUESS. BUT IT'S BEAUTIFUL SONG Hondo. Sorry for the caps.

roxdoc
11-19-2016, 10:03 PM
loved the line "she had a one in her teeth"

Kiddwell
11-20-2016, 09:20 AM

Due to past scheduling, Gaels aren't used to road games in big, hostile environments. This game pushed them at the end, made 'em nervous, tested their mettle. SMC's got a nice team. Hoping they and BYU clean up in the OOC then split in conference, then represent in the NCAAs at, say, 7-10 seeds.

Maynard, while watching I too was thinking the Gaels reminded me of past GU teams. (Wonder if Dobie Gillis was watching.)

:]

bartruff1
11-20-2016, 09:41 AM
Give em time Bart. It's a 2-3 bid league.

I think they both should have been in last year and Few lobbied for them....but the committee doesn't favor Mid Majors/Low Majors or even High Majors for at large bids....

DixieZag
11-20-2016, 10:05 AM

Ruby, welcome to the board. Please read and post as often as you'd like. Opinions vary on everything but there is respect for the SMC program as a whole.

DukeSilver
11-20-2016, 10:31 AM

A win is a win, but the Gaels beat a team that is decidedly outside the Top 25, minus their two best players ... I'm just not ready to call that "very good" or "impressive". If the Gaels lost a game without Naar and Rahon, you would 100% make the argument that the Gaels are not the same team without them, and you would be correct to do so. Can't ignore that logic just because it doesn't fit your "rise to prominence" narrative.

bartruff1
11-20-2016, 10:34 AM
:cool: Rugby....God is a Gael....I love the WCC and see the Maries as a outstanding program...and their coach as doing a great job with the resources he has and the competition for sports and entertainment dollars in that area...

that win will look better and better at the end of the season....

the ref might have given them a technical for running the baseline when they finally got the ball in play...

maynard g krebs
11-20-2016, 12:21 PM
A win is a win, but the Gaels beat a team that is decidedly outside the Top 25, minus their two best players ... I'm just not ready to call that "very good" or "impressive". If the Gaels lost a game without Naar and Rahon, you would 100% make the argument that the Gaels are not the same team without them, and you would be correct to do so. Can't ignore that logic just because it doesn't fit your "rise to prominence" narrative.

You also shouldn't ignore the fact that it's a road game, played back east. And Dayton was missing a couple of forwards, not their starting backcourt (per google- I didn't have access to the game), so a better analogy would be maybe SMC w/o maybe Hermanson and either Pineau or Fitzner.

DukeSilver
11-20-2016, 01:07 PM
You also shouldn't ignore the fact that it's a road game, played back east. And Dayton was missing a couple of forwards, not their starting backcourt (per google- I didn't have access to the game), so a better analogy would be maybe SMC w/o maybe Hermanson and either Pineau or Fitzner.

Not ignoring the fact that it was a road game, and picked Naar and Rahon because they are the Gaels' best players - same as the two that sat for Dayton.

maynard g krebs
11-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Not ignoring the fact that it was a road game, and picked Naar and Rahon because they are the Gaels' best players - same as the two that sat for Dayton.

Not the same. You're talking about taking away both their primary ball handlers, which of course would pretty much cripple their team, compared to somewhat more replaceable players.

Also, Cook and Smith are their leading scorers, and apparently best players per their stats, and they played 30 plus minutes each.

Marcus
11-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Not the same. You're talking about taking away both their primary ball handlers, which of course would pretty much cripple their team, compared to somewhat more replaceable players.

Also, Cook and Smith are their leading scorers, and apparently best players per their stats, and they played 30 plus minutes each.

I still think Duke has a valid argument in saying that it matters that your two best players are missing, regardless of position. If you would have taken Domas and Kyle off the floor for us last year it would have pretty much crippled our team.

Having said that, a win is a win in the eyes of the committee. You can only play who is in front of you and road wins are good wins. It benefits us that they win all their games except for against us, BYU too. I don't have a problem with fans of their own team tooting their own horns, that's what fans do. And I don't ever want to get to the point where I act like the some fans of the super power schools where they so desperately discount any success of schools "outside of the club". There is room to appreciate a St. Mary's road win.

Bogozags
11-20-2016, 04:39 PM

I give them credit for getting the "W" but you must admit that SMC's "D" wasn't the reason the Gaels built a 20 point lead (54-34) with just over 7 minutes remaining...it was pretty much that there was a lid on Dayton's basket...they were shooting 20% for the game and when Dayton decided to press the Gaels full court that is when the sheet hit the fan...SMC has a fundamentally strong team but they don't have quickness and speed kills and that is what almost cost SMC that game...they were up by two and it sure seemed like the ball went off of SMC BUT they got the ball back and held on to win. It is a road win no matter how you look at it but remember one thing, they will have problems with GU they won't have with BYU...we have size and quickness and know how to play the pick & roll...it will be interesting to see how things play out...

Last year, we lost PK and I still believe we don't lose any games in conference "IF" he is healthy...but that old phrase if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his...

Also, it was a big win for the conference RPI too!

Good Luck on your season...

soccerdud
11-20-2016, 05:31 PM
I still think Duke has a valid argument in saying that it matters that your two best players are missing, regardless of position. If you would have taken Domas and Kyle off the floor for us last year it would have pretty much crippled our team.

Having said that, a win is a win in the eyes of the committee. You can only play who is in front of you and road wins are good wins. It benefits us that they win all their games except for against us, BYU too. I don't have a problem with fans of their own team tooting their own horns, that's what fans do. And I don't ever want to get to the point where I act like the some fans of the super power schools where they so desperately discount any success of schools "outside of the club". There is room to appreciate a St. Mary's road win.

excellent post. agreed on all points.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-20-2016, 06:04 PM

The WCC as a whole had a pretty good start to the season. As of tonight, five teams are 3-0 (BYU, SMC, Gonzaga, Portland, and Pepp) with USF at 2-0. Six of ten teams are undefeated. There haven't been many noteworthy wins, but the teams are mostly beating the opponents they scheduled. I hope that trend continues.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/conferences/standings/_/id/29/year/2017/west-coast-conference

Section 116
11-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Interesting piece on BYU's pursuit of GU and SMC to be the best in the WCC, and their failure to do so thus far. Written by Ed Graney of the Las Vegas Review-Journal: http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/columns/ed-graney/byu-continues-chase-best-wcc

MJGoGaels
11-20-2016, 10:18 PM

True. beat a team down 3 players. Pollard, Cunningham and third player tragically died over the summer. Best players for Dayton are Cooke and Smith and they played and were high scorers. However, same could be said for SDSU down 4 players when they came to Spokane last week. I think GU and SMC will both take these wins as good for their respective programs and good for the WCC.

maynard g krebs
11-20-2016, 11:03 PM

Hate to beat a dead horse, but Charles Cooke seems to be their best player at 23 ppg and 7 boards per at 6'5, as well as shooting over 50% from both 2 and 3. And Scoochie Smith seems to be their second best player at 15.7, shooting 53% overall and 44% from 3 as well as being their primary assist guy at 4.3.

And the Domas/Kyle analogy is as bad as the Rahon/Naar analogy in relation to what Dayton lost. In terms of production, it'd be more like losing the SMC players I mentioned above.

Goshzagit
11-21-2016, 06:38 AM
As of last week, potential Advocare Invitational opponents are ranked(only Top-50):

#20 Iowa St (RPI 189)
#29 Florida (RPI 7)
#30 Miami (RPI 131)
#41 Seton Hall (RPI 17)
#NR Stanford (RPI 100)
#NR Indiana St (RPI 130)

Needless to say, a pretty solid Tournament, including (4) teams ranked in the Top 30.

Stay tuned for rankings this week, Iowa St could be Top-20.

I have a feeling we have a rematch waiting vs Seton Hall in 2nd Rd. Their fans and program are hungry to avenge last season's Tourney exit. They return 6 of their top 7 scorers -- only lose Whitehead -- which could actually help them, as he attempted 24 shots(made 4) vs Zags last year.

kitzbuel
11-21-2016, 07:57 AM

SMC found out that road games are tough. The home team always has a surge that gets the crowd going, the hoop always gets smaller and sphincters always get tighter the closer the end of the game gets. Good for them that they get this experience and a W.

Robzagnut
11-21-2016, 09:27 AM
I have a feeling we have a rematch waiting vs Seton Hall in 2nd Rd. Their fans and program are hungry to avenge last season's Tourney exit. They return 6 of their top 7 scorers -- only lose Whitehead -- which could actually help them, as he attempted 24 shots(made 4) vs Zags last year.

Be careful what you wish for. This reminds me of the West Virginia game a few years ago. I got on their forum and read the comments about them playing GU after their loss in the tourney. The WVU fans were hungry for the rematch, so their team could prove it was a fluke losing to a 'lesser' conference team.

After GU "Crushed their enemies, saw them driven before you, and heard the lamentations of their women!' their forum members were not happy. My favorite quote by one downtrodden fan was,

"I hope we never ever see Gonzaga again."

ZagsGoZags
11-21-2016, 09:33 AM
very similar comments on the Seton Hall board after they lost,

RenoZag
11-21-2016, 11:24 AM
WCC Teams in action on 11.21.2016:

BYU vs. St. Louis

Pepperdine vs. Central Michigan

Santa Clara vs. Sacred Heart.

Arizona will be taking on Northern Colorado

seacatfan
11-21-2016, 11:42 AM
Some future opponents are in action. Tennessee was trailing Wisconsin by 4 just a few moments ago when I saw the score, I think early 2nd half.

Arizona hosts Northern Colorado tonight.

strikenowhere
11-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Some future opponents are in action. Tennessee was trailing Wisconsin by 4 just a few moments ago when I saw the score, I think early 2nd half.

Arizona hosts Northern Colorado tonight.

Tennessee up by 2 now with 15 min left in 2nd half - this would definitely help out the good 'ole RPI for Volunteers if they got the win.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Tennessee up by 2 now with 15 min left in 2nd half - this would definitely help out the good 'ole RPI for Volunteers if they got the win.

ended up losing convincingly, displaying awful team ball. That game in Nashville should be an easy Zags win as long as they aren't sleepwalking (Sunday afternoon, across the country - totally possible).

strikenowhere
11-21-2016, 12:56 PM
ended up losing convincingly, displaying awful team ball. That game in Nashville should be an easy Zags win as long as they aren't sleepwalking (Sunday afternoon, across the country - totally possible).

Drat - was hoping the Vols would somehow become a worthwhile game. I suppose there is still time for them to get decent, though.

sittingon50
11-21-2016, 03:04 PM
Think I read that they have 11 Soph/Fresh. on this years team. Rick Barnes came in last year & blew it up.